And now the Camaros' are on GM recall - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
And now the Camaros' are on GM recall

Yes over half a million are Camaros are set for a recall! Makes me feel even better that I didn't buy a 2nd class autobot loll no disrespect to any chevy owners though :p

GM recalls half million Camaros, safety crisis deepens

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol
It happens to all the companies. And it's truly a wonder that it doesn't happen more often. Automobiles have become very complex.
The true measure of a car company's "character" is how they handle the safety recalls.
GM happens to be running scared, at the moment, due to their recent debacle...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Gm is a compete mess. I test drove several Chevys before I finally became a ford guy, and let me tell you all their cars are crap except for the vett.
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It is not only the bump key problem

I read that the big problem is that most people have a couple pounds of keys and crap on their key rings. When they put this heavy load on the ignition switch it causes problems.
That is not an excuse for GM covering the problem up though. They should have took care of this as soon as people started to complain.
I had a 1998 Corvette that had a known column lock problem and they never wanted to admit that problem either. Some Corvettes had the steering lock up while moving and you could not turn. Other had the steering lock up as soon as you started the car. ( Not so dangerous) They were finely forced to recall and fix the problem but they still did not fix it properly. It happened to me after I took my Vette in for the recall and they made me pay the second time. I called GM to complain and they offered me a $500.00 off of a new car if I did not want to keep my Corvette.
They recalled the car for the Column lock 08/10/04( Car is 1998) yes it took that long while people were getting killed and injured.
Then when I got Cheated on my window repair . The guy was backing it out of the bay the servicecolumn lock light came on. They then charged me $191.27 for the column lock and $114.04 for the Harness Plus labor to install this crap that they already supposedly replaced under the recall.
I always thought that dealer was a thief and still do. (Not going to mention the name but they are in Daytona Beach Florida)

If you want to see the invoices because you think i'm making this up , Please just PM me and I show you.

I will never ever buy a GM car again. NEVER EVER. The dealer I had was a thief and the Company did not care even though I showed them proof I was cheated. They can stick that $500.00 certificate where the sun don't shine.

I would not trade my Mustang V6 for a brand new Corvette or Cadillac. ( If I did it even up I would trade the GM junk in on a Shelby ) Or sell it and buy back my 2012 V6.

Someday when you ever want to know, I'll tell you how I really feel about GM and their dealers.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2329 View Post
Gm is a compete mess, and to top it off they have a woman running the company. I test drove several Chevys before I finally became a ford guy, and let me tell you all their cars are crap except for the vett.
You can't blame this on her. GM knew about these recalls way before she became the CEO. The previous CEO bailed out knowing what was coming and I think GM gave her this job knowing that she would take the blame. Hell, she probably knew what was coming and took the big pay anyway.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Oh ! Heck

Here are my invoices

This is where they suposedly repaired my car on Recall at no charge.

This is where they stuck it to me doing the repair they was supposed to do the first time. I'm thinking they may have just used the old Number defective parts on the recall.

Ronnie

PS: This was way before that woman was in charge. I'm happy to see she unloaded the idiot do nothings that were not doing their jobs. She is on the right track of getting rid of the dead weight and at least trying to get GM on track with their quality control problems.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

@ronnie wow!
Bama Performance Tune
Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
My '10 Malibu I got with 8k miles on the odo exhibited a bunch of issues. By the time it hit 34k it had to have the steering column, portion of interior trim, and rear cup holder replaced. Then the trans started surging. I decided it was time to move on and traded it in on my Mustang.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
In my experience (mostly working with various LT1 and LS1 camaros/firebirds & the odd LS2 GTO) the actual drivetrain on GM products are pretty legit. Very solid engines, usually bullet proof transmissions.

Opti-spark sucked, though. Screw everything about that damn ignition system.

GM's tended to have problems with just about any of their electronics - the damn radio would die, the window motors went to *****, headlights/turn signals would magically stop working, steering column switches would fail for no good reason. Dealer warranty work was nearly always a major hassle, too.

I wouldn't thumb my nose at a GM product if they simply made the rest of the car as good as the drivetrain. I think it might be from a lack of quality assurance, who knows.

Don't shoot me, but I think GM trucks tend to be pretty legit though.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

H
Bama Performance Tune
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't even count in speed or looks

I do not know one single person that bought a camaro or GM vehical that has not had some sort of problem or another that had to go in for warranty work.
My friend Ed bought a 2014 brand new all wheel drive Silverado and the rear was making noise. He is 71 years old and drives like he is 90.
His dealer accused of him towing to heavy a trailer with it. He has never hooked up a trailer in his life. Then they said it was driver abuse. I'm sure happy I was with him this time for his appointment.
They finely drained the rear and put some different fluid and an additive in the rear differential and was going to leave the front one alone. I came Freakin unglued even though it was not my truck. They pulled it back in and did the front one. Wow, No more noise and I'm sure they probably have a bulletin or something on this problem. I thought this Chevy dealer in a different town just south of Port Orange would be better but I guess they are all the same. My next door neighbor bought a 2014 Impala and it was smoking like crazy. They did repair it under warranty and loaned her a car for the two weeks it took to fix it. It does seem fine now but for how long?

My 2012 Mustang has needed nothing. They ask me every time I go in for an oil change or tire rotation if I need any warranty problem fixed. I have not. It makes me feel good that they ask.
Ronnie
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Gm is a compete mess. I test drove several Chevys before I finally became a ford guy, and let me tell you all their cars are crap except for the vett.

These problems are old ones just coming back to bite GM in the ***. She didn't do this crap.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I completely disagree about Their trucks..the f-150 ecobost has more hp and torque than Chevy v8s also Chevy trucks max out hp around 5k rpm with ecobost max hp around 1800. And you can't complain about the 20mpg
Oh, is this the newer (like 2010 and up) trucks? I was referring to the mid 2000 silverados vs the fords and dodges of those years...I should have specified, sorry.

If I was in the market for a new truck, I'd be either looking at the F150 or maybe a toyota tundra/tacoma. Just looking for something to drive in the chicago winter to keep miles off my ol' lady....AWD, standard cab, either a turbo 6 or a smallblock v8 half-ton.

This is a bit of a sidetrack , but does anyone have legit input? I don't want to go new, but I'm lookin for a truck with those specs for around $5-7k...thinking an early 2000s SR5 or 1st gen silverado would work perfect if I could freakin find one. The truck would see some moderate towing, maybe a plow/winch, and occasionally hauling Marcie's slicks to the dragstrip, etc.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
These problems are old ones just coming back to bite GM in the ***. She didn't do this crap.
Yeah GM has sorta been on the downslope for a while, and it's been catching up to them progressively the last decade or so. Everyone likes to blame the boss (hell we even do it to all of our presidents) but the problems are more systemic than that.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Yeah GM has sorta been on the downslope for a while, and it's been catching up to them progressively the last decade or so. Everyone likes to blame the boss (hell we even do it to all of our presidents) but the problems are more systemic than that.

GM=government motors=mess
Bama Performance Tune
Old 06-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They sure have a problem.

It is not only the crap cars they are putting out but letting their dealers get away with not doing proper warranty work and selling old people stuff they don't need and just plain screwing GM customers without any consequences is hurting them.
I do think this woman that took the job is probably going to get this idiot stupid company to get back to the GM we all loved. She already fired 15 of the top morons that let the company go to crap. I think when they offered her the job they thought she would be easy to control. It seems they were very wrong. After she weeds out the trash and gets some new blood in there that wants to be successful GM will be right up there with Ford and Fiat. ( Dodge)
Lets hope so because GM does employ a heck of a lot of American workers with all of the different products they make. I'm hoping she can bring back more of GM to the states that the old guard sent to other countries.
You gotta remember that GM started falling back in the late 80's / early 90's selling off their American plants and moving production out of our country. They stopped making a lot of their own parts and started buying from whoever could sell what they wanted cheaper.
I could go on & on but whats the point?
Ronnie
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
GMs FWD transmissions have always been kinda crappy. RWD is a different story. I like my Pontiacs, but GM decided to give them the axe, so I'm not really inclined to deal with them anymore.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
What discourages me about GM is that they are now asking for protection against liability law suits. They are in fear that they could have another bankrupcy issue with this latest round of ignition key failures. This seems cowardly IMO, as they knew of this issue prior to the failure happening, but chose to do nothing until deaths were involved.

No doubt they will be granted some sort of imunity over this though, as they employ a large work force, and this would play heavily on the now recovering economy.

I hope those involved in the cover up are swept away, and that GM can recover. We all benefit from competition, so having a couple of strong auto making companies keeps the other on their toes.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

She is on the right track

She already fired 15 of the old idiots and without severance pay. She felt that they should not be rewarded for being fired. I don't think she is going to stop looking into what happened and why a cover-up and not taking care of these problems as they came up.
Like someone already said:

Quote:
You can't blame this on her. GM knew about these recalls way before she became the CEO. The previous CEO bailed out knowing what was coming and I think GM gave her this job knowing that she would take the blame. Hell, she probably knew what was coming and took the big pay anyway.
DJ2014

At least she ain't taking no crap and doing what needs to be done.
Ronnie
Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I just can't believe they (a) knew about these problems all along, (b) decided not to go public with them until they got caught, and then (c) are asking for immunity from these lawsuits. F them! They deserve to pay for their stupidity.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I've known/heard.. GM has good motors and transmissions that will last a long time but their interior is garbage. The only thing they got is drive train. Dodge has a pretty sweet interior for their vehicles but their products are just crappy. When my accounting teacher uses dodge as the example for warranty costs because they have so many problems.. You know they suck. Lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It's GM electronics that are garbage... Their drivetrain are near bulletproof but the electronic is terrible. In my parents corvette that has like 45k miles on it (03) they already had to replace the starter because it just quit, and that was more near the 40k mark.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
In 2015 they will be recalling a lot of mustang because they mistakenly put 4 cylinders in them lol

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6stang View Post
In 2015 they will be recalling a lot of mustang because they mistakenly put 4 cylinders in them lol

The 4 cylinder is most likely going to be the most popular....

HID end all thread
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The 4 cylinder is most likely going to be the most popular....
It's going to be nasty with the weight advantage, add a bigger turbo 67mm built motor and a 150-200 shot and she will be fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey 2000V6stang

You are "BAD" Ha! Ha!

Ronnie
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Says the guy with a New Edge that came with only 6 out of 8 working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It's going to be nasty with the weight advantage, add a bigger turbo 67mm built motor and a 150-200 shot and she will be fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This. Its probably going to get the best mileage out of all of them and be the most modifiable for the least money. As long as it isn't already close to maxed out from the factory but it probably won't be. The best thing is now we get to start saying "4 banger Stanger" again.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
We need to be very careful when one of these turbo 4's pulls along side of us 3.7 owners. I think many of us are going to have our pride delivered to us on a platter.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't read all of these complaints because I've heard them before. Why are you complaining about the working at GM when you allow issues at Ford to go on as acceptable. I have a 2006 Silverado with 135k miles and I've had no issues really. Only minor stuff that was covered under warranty and nothing since. I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS that also has had no issues in its 110k mile life until recently when someone added the green stuff to my coolant and caused the entire cooling system to fail.

Ford has had it's issues also. Don't forget the Firestone tire fiasco on the Explorer. Why did my old 2001 Silverado have the same tires and didn't experience the issue? It was Ford's idea to underinflate the tires and have camber set excessively. Also, what about the issues that caused the SUVs to catch fire and burned down so many homes. And what about the bubbling paint issues on the Mustang hoods and the squeaks these cars have?

The issue with the Camaro recall is because they decided to use the switchblade key instead of a standard key. The size difference allows the key to be hit by the drivers knee in certain sitting situations and this allowed the key to turn off. On other models, there is an issue with the weight of the keyring. Under a manufacturer design, the ignition switch wasn't designed to hold that much weight. The same would hold true if everybody started hanging things from the rearview mirror. It will stay just fine with nothing hung from it, but put too much on it, which some do, and the mirror could fall off the windshield, scare the crap out of the driver and cause them to crash!! Is that the manufacturers fault?

Lastly, please remember that the last 5 years, GM was under the control of the gov't. They have yet to run anything that was successful. Medicare/Medicaid, the education system, IRS, all of these green company investments, ObamaCare, etc. Let's blame GM when they were being run by a bunch of gov't idiots!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow

I don't think the problem was so much the ignition switch. It was the fact that GM not only not admit a problem but the fact THEY TRIED TO "COVER IT UP"
Toyota, Ford and Dodge all took care of the recalls and did not try to bury problems.
A huge difference.
I'm really happy you have so many miles on your truck
How is your Mustang? Do you like it.? How about a picture.
Ronnie
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

GM has always been notorious for electrical issues. My friends Silverado the AC, windows and radio are all going haywire on them right now. My dad's Corvette needed a starter replaced at 40k miles.

GM makes solid drivetrains but their electrical is garbage

Everyone has recalls, but GM just has too many, and they try to cover them up.

HID end all thread
Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Again, all manufacturers have a vested interest in protecting their name and brand. GM is being "accused" of trying to cover it up. It has not been proven that was the intent. Did Ford cover up the Firestone tire issue by passing blame to Firestone and not admitting it was their idea to run the tires at too low of an air pressure and with the wrong suspension calibration? Did Ford cover up the fact that they knew the Explorer was prone to roll overs? During testing they found that it was and that's why they lowered the air pressure of the tires to 26. Do you consider this a cover up.

Again, all manufacturers have issues with something that we like to gripe about, but 13 people have died supposedly because of this ignition issue and 250 died because of the Firestone/Explorer issue. The ignition issue is caused by consumer related causes while the rollovers weren't. I'm sure the ignition parts passed all tests when tested under "normal" use tests. Adding a ton of keys, tags, and other junk to a key ring is beyond the manufacturer specs.

An example would be overloading a pickup truck. It's designed to hold 1/2 ton and you load it with 3/4 ton of merchandise. You then try to drive it as if it were unloaded and the truck overheats and things break. Is it the manufacturers fault that the truck failed or the consumer for overloading it?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Corvair.

End of conversation...
Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Corvair.

End of conversation...
Pinto
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pinto
73-87 C and K series trucks.

I'm beginning to wonder who's side that you are on?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion