No CATS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
No CATS

So I see that a lot of people on here run o/r x pipes which is what I would love to run as well. Just curious on how all you people pass inspection when it comes to be that time of the year.. I have a 14 5.0 and am ready to purchase a full exhaust (made another post about it) and am hearing that with cats you just don't see as much power.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Staytru06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Just depends on where you live or if you know someone. A lot of members like to suggest right off the bat "get an o/r midpipe" but they don't think about the bigger picture here... Which is the law isn't the same every where.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Very true. It just sucks because a o/r is cheaper and from what I keep hearing gives you more HP. Guess i gotta find a way to get my CEL turned off and pass inspections. NY sucks lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just think about the basic principal of a catalytic converter and an o/r midpipe. Cats have a filter which hinders airflow and o/r mid-pipes are just straight-through pipes, so yes o/r mid-pipes definitely flow better.

A custom tune can easily disable any CEL's triggered by not having any cats, however, just by having a look under the car or smelling the fumes it's not hard to tell if you have an o/r mid-pipe or not.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well either way when a shop plugs the car into the diagnostics computer wouldn't it show that I have no cats or my rear o2 sensors shut off?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Most if not all inspection shops do both the "sniff" test, as well as a visual test. Those states that do not do these tests make it easy for an owner of course to remove the cats, but they are usually not aware that its a FEDERAL law that prohibits the removal of any smog equipment, and this supersedes any state or local laws.

If you do remove them, save them, as they will need to be re-installed before you sell the car. Even if you sell the car privately, with an "as is" clause, that still does not exempt you. The buyer can force the deal to be nulled.

Do some google searching on this. This is why they are sold as "off road use only". A police officer having a bad day can stop and fine you in your state, or any state you drive on public roads with.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm aware of all the laws and risks on that end but to be honest the amount that I drive my car I'm not so worried about it. Now I'm not saying I'm trying to break the law by any means I just think it sucks that pre 05 models have MIL eliminators which from my understanding "dumb" out the cars computer and makes them able to pass inspection with out cats.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hey. I live in NY and I want to get a catted mid pipe for my 3.7 but from what I have heard removing/ altering the stock cats in any way will keep you from passing inspection, even if the new midpipe has cats. Does anybody know if this is true?

What a pain in the *** it is to live in NY sometimes. So many restrictions on everything!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well what's crazy is my dad has an 05 GT and has full kooks exhaust with high flow cats and he still throws a CEL every once in a while basically throwing a lean code and the guy that put a custom tune on his car keeps saying he can turn off the rear o2 sensors to stop this but then what the hell was the point of getting cats

Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Honestly you should be getting a tune anyway to get the most out of your 5.0, just have the tuner turn off the CEL in the tune. Get ahold of Lund for the best mail order Coyote tunes from everything I've been hearing but I don't have one so wait for someone else to chime in for actual personal experience.

As far as running the pipe, does NY do a sniffer or visual inspection? In NJ we literally just have an OBDII test for anything that is OBDII. They used to roll over a camera to check for cats but I didn't even see that last time. If that's how your state is too you can go through with the OR pipe as long as you are not throwing any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) which can all be turned off by a tuner.

If not you can always just keep the stock pipe and swap back every time you need to roll through. Its a bit of a pain but its not bad especially if you don't drive much and keep it garaged. My 98 has been garaged almost all its life so no corrosion on the exhaust bolts and I can have that pipe out in about 15 minutes once the car is in the air.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly have no idea how NY does the inspections but I'll deff have to find out. Both my mom and brother work at car dealers so I'll see what they say about it.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also if you are a 2014 you should have a 5 year new car exemption for any inspections so 2019 would be when you'd have to worry about it. From everything I've read (again, this is secondhand so confirm with Grabber or Raptinator) all you need is exhaust/gears/tune and you are good to do gas far as the drivetrain short of doing cams and a Boss intake. After that it is suspension/suspension/suspension.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What's this 5 year exception you speak of lol? Yeah exhaust is deff first tho.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Hey. I live in NY and I want to get a catted mid pipe for my 3.7 but from what I have heard removing/ altering the stock cats in any way will keep you from passing inspection, even if the new midpipe has cats. Does anybody know if this is true?

What a pain in the *** it is to live in NY sometimes. So many restrictions on everything!
That's Federal, not New York. Altering the cats in any way, even just getting different ones unless you need a replacement, and the replacement has to be approved by the OEM manufacturer, is against federal law. It can be a huge fine.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Holy crap, I just looked up the NY inspection requirements...

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

I think if this inspection program was instituted in NJ 1/4 of the cars would fail lol. Ours is free, every 2 years and is a simple OBDII check or emissions sniffer if you are OBDI-below. My 98 went through with a full aftermarket exhaust back in May with flying colors. OBDII emissions are a joke because anyone who needs to can just have the DTCs turned off. One reason I am in a modular right now so I don't have to deal with a sniffer test.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeahhhh typical NY. Well hopefully after getting the o/r x pipe I don't regret it lol

Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
That's Federal, not New York. Altering the cats in any way, even just getting different ones unless you need a replacement, and the replacement has to be approved by the OEM manufacturer, is against federal law. It can be a huge fine.
Yeah but in my experience, as long as you have cats on the car (or something that looks like cats) only the most ******baggiest of people would even try to write you up on it.

But yes if your car came with 6 cats you technically need to have 6 cats on it and they need to be OEM approved etc... As far as selling a car with no cats, yeah if you sell the car with no cats the person can totally null the sale in court legally even years later. However, if that was me they would have a fun time proving I removed the stuff and not them.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Just depends on where you live or if you know someone. A lot of members like to suggest right off the bat "get an o/r midpipe" but they don't think about the bigger picture here... Which is the law isn't the same every where.

When it comes to smog testing it is different.... But catalytic converters are a federal thing, so the law for that is actually the same everywhere.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nailed it. However, I still don't understand which comes first if you were to get pulled over. A simple ticket from the state if you were to break a state law, or a huge $10,000 fine for breaking federal law. I guess it's a risk you have to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
When it comes to smog testing it is different.... But catalytic converters are a federal thing, so the law for that is actually the same everywhere.

Yeah I'm aware, and many people are completely unaware of it, but I wasn't going to get into the nitty gritty since it is federal and means it can't be avoided anywhere here in the US.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nailed it. However, I still don't understand which comes first if you were to get pulled over. A simple ticket from the state if you were to break a state law, or a huge $10,000 fine for breaking federal law. I guess it's a risk you have to take.

Yeah I'm aware, and many people are completely unaware of it, but I wasn't going to get into the nitty gritty since it is federal and means it can't be avoided anywhere here in the US.
My guess is that you would get a ticket, then the federal fine.

Also, the federal fine can be up to 25K
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No CATS

I find it interesting that the same guys (okay, 1 guy) opens their mouth (spewing total BS) over and over here....

How about a new rule. If you don't know for personal experience, you don't open your pie hole.

This was posted by mistake in this thread... But still relevant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

"Some vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection program. Your passenger car or light truck does not have to be inspected for emissions if it is:
  • Less than two model years old"
So this is basically saying that they cant fail my inspection if I have no cats for the first 2 years the car was made? But I'm guessing I can still get fined for it if I was to be caught by a police officer.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"Some vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection program. Your passenger car or light truck does not have to be inspected for emissions if it is:
So this is basically saying that they cant fail my inspection if I have no cats for the first 2 years the car was made? But I'm guessing I can still get fined for it if I was to be caught by a police officer.
yes, you can still be fined if the cop looks and sees no cats, but really, how many cops are actually going to do that.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes, you can still be fined if the cop looks and sees no cats, but really, how many cops are actually going to do that.

True. I'll just flash the pba card and be on my way as usual! lol
Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Still a possibility though. I already push the limits on the streets, so if I were ever to get speeding ticket, I wouldn't want additional tickets for no cats, illegal tint, etc. Guess I'm a play it safe guy in this situation.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Still a possibility though. I already push the limits on the streets, so if I were ever to get speeding ticket, I wouldn't want additional tickets for no cats, illegal tint, etc. Guess I'm a play it safe guy in this situation.
Me too, not worth maybe 5-10 HP for a smelled car, and possibly a massive fine.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

One thing that I'm surprised hasn't come up yet is hollowed-out or 'punched-out' cats... They definitely seem like a good way to avoid tickets from cops who'd like to check. I guess you'd have to talk your way out of the smell and loudness.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One thing that I'm surprised hasn't come up yet is hollowed-out or 'punched-out' cats... They definitely seem like a good way to avoid tickets from cops who'd like to check. I guess you'd have to talk your way out of the smell and loudness.
Easy, if it's hollowed out, have him look under the car, the cats are there. Boom, ticket/fine gone, he'll think it's going bad.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I really can't see a cop getting under your car to look for cats not to mention my car is lowered so unless he has a jack he or she won't see much. Either way with the amount of people on this site alone running a o/r pipe I don't think any of them had to pay a 25k fine.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staytru06 View Post
I really can't see a cop getting under your car to look for cats not to mention my car is lowered so unless he has a jack he or she won't see much. Either way with the amount of people on this site alone running a o/r pipe I don't think any of them had to pay a 25k fine.

Yeah, it is unlikely for a cop to get you. Inspection is where they can.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Lower the car, problem solved. Can't look for cats if he can't even look under the car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
No, you are exempt from an emissions check. You can actually pass a sniffer with no cats and a good tune as clean as today's engines run. Where you will get caught is the visual. No cats=auto fail and they can actually choose to impound the car if they really wanted to get technical I think.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Lower the car, problem solved. Can't look for cats if he can't even look under the car.

I had a cop check for cats once on my 95 and my buddy got a fix it ticket in Wisconsin for no cats on his 04. Mine had cats. And my 98 is lowered about 1" all around and if I put my face almost against the pavement I can see errthang. It might be different for ppl scraping along the roads tho lol.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There was discussion of either a member or a member's friend that actually did get caught federally for no cats and had to pay in the range of a $10K fine or along the lines of that. That's where I learned of the federal law on cats and where I got that $10K number from earlier. Could be way off though.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I understand all the fines and all the tickets that you could get and I'm not saying I don't care I'm just saying there's a lot of people out there running their cars with no cats and they doing fine. Just gotta find that place that's more on the lenient side when it comes to inspections..

Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know a good shop in NY to get work done like the headers and x pipe installed. A friend was telling me about Mustang Magic in Long Island but after doing some reading I hear they're pricy..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion