Changing a transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SkylerTallman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pickens
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 313
Changing a transmission

Hey guys as some of you know, I sold my mustang a couple days ago. I have my eyes on this really clean Gt but one downside. It's a automatic. It's a white 98 gt. How much would changing it from auto to manual cost me. If I can buy the transmission off of craigslist used for a couple hundred bucks or in a junkyard. How much does someone charge for labor on something like that. I would not want to try it myself. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,605
If you aren't going to DIY it will cost you more to do the swap than to find a clean manual car. Keep looking. Also you aren't going to get a trans in good shape for $200.

Or just buy the auto. 98 is actually a good auto. Late 97-onward is when they stopped sucking.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
SkylerTallman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pickens
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you aren't going to DIY it will cost you more to do the swap than to find a clean manual car. Keep looking. Also you aren't going to get a trans in good shape for $200.

Or just buy the auto. 98 is actually a good auto. Late 97-onward is when they stopped sucking.

Actually I found a 5 speed and going to look at it in like 30min. Will post how it goes. It's a 94 5.0


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
SkylerTallman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pickens
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 313
I got that red one so I don't need to swap a transmission now.! I'm set now


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,605
Good, give that biznitch a full tune up, drain/fill trans and diffs, oil change, plugs and wires etc... Let me know if you need any tips, 94/95 cars are what I spent most of my time on over the years.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
SkylerTallman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pickens
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Good, give that biznitch a full tune up, drain/fill trans and diffs, oil change, plugs and wires etc... Let me know if you need any tips, 94/95 cars are what I spent most of my time on over the years.

Sweet, tomorrow I'm changing the oil, plugs and wires, disturber cap, and all the filters. And detailing if I have time


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
SkylerTallman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pickens
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Good, give that biznitch a full tune up, drain/fill trans and diffs, oil change, plugs and wires etc... Let me know if you need any tips, 94/95 cars are what I spent most of my time on over the years.

Hey the speedometer doesn't work. Is that the sensor messed up or the gear is not working


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,605
Autolite 25 coppers gapped to .054, Motorcraft wires, any old cap/rotor is fine, the 94/95 uses the FL1A oil filter and if the car has a lot of miles its probably a good idea to do the waterpump too. Its very easy on 94/95 cars, falls right off the front of the motor.

When you do the cap/rotor, look for a silvery dust inside the distributor. If it is there, you might as well do the whole distributor since the silvery dust is usually a sign of a failing PIP (pickup).

I'd also make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted and do 3 quarts of synchromesh in the T-5, that's like mother's milk for transmissions and available everywhere. Fill through the shifter opening and this also allows you to see what/if any aftermarket shifter is in there.

Any mods on this car?
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
SkylerTallman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pickens
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Autolite 25 coppers gapped to .054, Motorcraft wires, any old cap/rotor is fine, the 94/95 uses the FL1A oil filter and if the car has a lot of miles its probably a good idea to do the waterpump too. Its very easy on 94/95 cars, falls right off the front of the motor.

When you do the cap/rotor, look for a silvery dust inside the distributor. If it is there, you might as well do the whole distributor since the silvery dust is usually a sign of a failing PIP (pickup).

I'd also make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted and do 3 quarts of synchromesh in the T-5, that's like mother's milk for transmissions and available everywhere. Fill through the shifter opening and this also allows you to see what/if any aftermarket shifter is in there.

Any mods on this car?

It has full flowmaster exhaust, hurst short throw shifter (it likes to vibrate a lot), and he says it has a mild cam in it but I don't know. You can almost believe it is by the exhaust if you listen real close but then again it could have a bad idle Bc it's has 200,000 miles. so basically it's stock.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you change a manual transmission to an automatic transmission 2007 mustang? Ekon General Mustang Discussion 3 12-18-2011 04:09 AM
Changing a Transmission...What is involved? riordain General Mustang Discussion 2 03-22-2010 01:38 AM
changing automatic transmission fluid 007z28350 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 08-30-2009 02:25 AM
Changing transmission fluid electricstang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 12-16-2005 03:11 PM
Transmission Question: 1997 V6 Automatic Transmission ?? svtmustang88 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 12-09-2003 05:49 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:35 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.