headlight upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
headlight upgrade

I want to do something to get my car feeling more modern I hear the best way is to get a projector headlight then put HIDs into it. but want to avoid the HID route if a sylvania ZXE bulb or something can work. yet I want my headlights to be blue like all the new cars :3

im mostly freaked out by the idea of having to remove the whole front bumper - gonna take it to a shop that specializes in lighting but sared they will scratch the bumper or drop it or something - also if i am to change light bulbs later, is it easy as reaching behind the assemblies or do i gotta take off bumper again?

So step 1, I was looking at this assembly:

Raxiom Smoked Mustang Halo Projector Headlights - CCFL 49128 (05-09 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

It has a blueish halo and since its smoked I hear its best to get like sylvania ZXE bulbs which they say are halogen bulbs that look closest to an HID, though I hear its more of a white light rather than blue. however im intimidated by the removal of the front bumper and having to use 2 new light bulbs and wondering if i should just keep my headlights stock.

If I'm not satisfied with how that looks I will save some more and go to a local shop that can order and install HIDs to make sure they do it right.

a few questions I got:

In our cars, if a headlight bulb goes bad, does it give any indication on the dash?

what recommendations can you guys give me for aftermarket headlights that will look more modern/nice?

I saw this guys mustang and it made my mouth water - its how i want mine to be!
(i have a 06 GT redfire)
AngelsBoyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
It's all in the prefered image you are going for. Me, I like the extra light I get from the brighter bulbs the Sylvania give me, but I recently read a response from Soccerlvr4 about another bulb that is also good, if not better than the Sylvania's that I plan to try if/when the Sylvania's burn out.

For me, I'm not a fan of the "blue" light. Too much like the cheap HID's folks like to use, and I don't wish to be associated with that type of car crowd. If used properly in projection headlight assemblies, then it works, but I like the light output I'm able to get from the stock housings and different bulb.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It's all in the prefered image you are going for. Me, I like the extra light I get from the brighter bulbs the Sylvania give me, but I recently read a response from Soccerlvr4 about another bulb that is also good, if not better than the Sylvania's that I plan to try if/when the Sylvania's burn out.

For me, I'm not a fan of the "blue" light. Too much like the cheap HID's folks like to use, and I don't wish to be associated with that type of car crowd. If used properly in projection headlight assemblies, then it works, but I like the light output I'm able to get from the stock housings and different bulb.
cool, i see u got a 2012, what would you do for my car?

if i can get away with just switching bulbs id be happy lol, scared to splice and remove bymper

heres mine

just wanna look more modern i guess, maybe i should replace stock bulbs with sylvania zxe? is that what u use? or ultras? what was the other bulb you were going to check out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Nice looking Mustang; like the color! Mines a 2011. I started out with the fogs in the grill such as yours, then installed a Boss lower valance, and installed the fogs down below, where they make better use of fogs (fog lights need to be as low to the ground surface as possible to gain the best light against fog; yellow light projects through fog the best, although mine are not yellow). I placed block off plates in the center grille. I like the fog look in the center grill, but prefer the function better, hense the reason for my change. Besides, there are lots of folks with the GT look of the grille fogs, and not too many with them blocked off and placing the fogs lower. Something unique I try to go after.

Removing the front bumper cover is really not difficult at all. Placing a large bed sheet or blanket on the surface in front of the bumper is suggested to give you "insurance", but having a buddy help you in the removal is best, this way you are on one side, the buddy is on the other to remove it and place it on a safe section of your garage or work place. The first time you do it, it will take you about an hour, after that, it can be done in about 20 minutes.

And to change the headlight housings, the bumper does not have to be removed; just the bumper side bolts (within the wheel wells) and the upper ones to the left/right of the radiator allow you to pull the side of the bumper back, enough to get at the lower headlight housing bolts to pull them out. I replaced mine with a set of GT headlight housings, as they were black inside. I had them installed in under an hour.

Google "front bumper install" for your year Mustang. Sites that sell front bumper covers have excellent "How To" instructions for installing their bumber covers; the removal of a stock one is in the instructions.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Blue or White lights generally tend to use a film over the bulb to achieve this coloring. This is very bad as it reduces lumens. As for the Sylvania Silverstars, they're gimmick bulbs that appear brighter because they are "white" but actually are a lower overall lumen output than a good OEM bulb. Yellow light is actually the best light for our eyes, blue and "hyper white" will appear washed out and you have a hard time seeing colors properly. Don't even get me started on the ppl running the blue/pink HIDs, or anyone running a HID in a reflector housing.

Best bet for a halogen is going to be a Philips Xtreme or an OSRAM (not Sylvania) Silverstar bulb. If you do get a HID, you can get a projector which may or may not provide an optimal cutoff (but will at least provide a cutoff that will allow you to actually aim them properly) or you can do a full HID retrofit which installs an OEM style projector in the stock housing. Google "HIDguy" for more info on this, it is pricey, but its far and away the best option out there.

As for HID temperature, you want a 4300k which is warm white and what the OEM manufacturers use as it is an optimal Kelvin range for the Human eye. If, for some reason, you do want a whiter light then go no more than 5K which is pure white, anything after that the lumens start to fall off and fall off REALLY rapidly after 6k. Most "good" manufacturers don't sell a kit higher than 6K because at that point a good Halogen is brighter.

Also, there is something to be said about a high quality HID kit. Morimoto and XenonDepot are the best two I've found in my research. I went with the XenonDepot "Volt" kit because of price and also because Morimoto was having some quality control issues with their ballasts back in the wintertime. I think it has been sorted by now but you can always research on HIDPlanet if you want. It may seem pricey at $85-$150 vs the $30 for the DDM/VVME/Kensun/whatever kits but you are getting what you pay for. You can have a well assembled kit with high quality components, ballasts that actually put out the rated wattage, laser aligned bulbs with OEM style (or even OEM) quartz glass bulbs or you can have Chinese, no quality control garbage. In many cases the cheap kits have ballasts that don't put out the rated wattage, bulbs are mis-aligned, they send you the wrong Kelvin range etc... and good luck dealing with customer service in China.

Hope this was informative. I did some EXHAUSTIVE research over this winter in selecting my lighting for my 98. In the end, I went with some DEPO projectors, the XenonDepot 4300k kit, HIR Halogens for Hi-beams and Nokya Hyper Yellows in the fogs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Looks like I'm a little late here! Maybe I can get Dan to chime in on his experience working with HID kits!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsBoyfriend View Post
I want to do something to get my car feeling more modern I hear the best way is to get a projector headlight then put HIDs into it. but want to avoid the HID route if a sylvania ZXE bulb or something can work. yet I want my headlights to be blue like all the new cars :3

im mostly freaked out by the idea of having to remove the whole front bumper - gonna take it to a shop that specializes in lighting but sared they will scratch the bumper or drop it or something - also if i am to change light bulbs later, is it easy as reaching behind the assemblies or do i gotta take off bumper again?

So step 1, I was looking at this assembly:

Raxiom Smoked Mustang Halo Projector Headlights - CCFL 49128 (05-09 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

It has a blueish halo and since its smoked I hear its best to get like sylvania ZXE bulbs which they say are halogen bulbs that look closest to an HID, though I hear its more of a white light rather than blue. however im intimidated by the removal of the front bumper and having to use 2 new light bulbs and wondering if i should just keep my headlights stock.

If I'm not satisfied with how that looks I will save some more and go to a local shop that can order and install HIDs to make sure they do it right.

I saw this guys mustang and it made my mouth water - its how i want mine to be!
(i have a 06 GT redfire)
Just chiming in to say thanks man. That's mine back the day I first got it, they put it in the service department because it was raining outside. As for the lighting, it's stock HID, and it's white. I think the blueish light your seeing is a combination of the headlight and the service department lighting.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Stock Ford HIDs are 4300k Philips bulbs. They shift to 4700k after they "burn in".

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Just chiming in to say thanks man. That's mine back the day I first got it, they put it in the service department because it was raining outside. As for the lighting, it's stock HID, and it's white. I think the blueish light your seeing is a combination of the headlight and the service department lighting.
lol yep i saw it in your profile!

scotty, I'm not too worried about light output I live in a pretty well lit city and don't do much country driving at all, I mostly was looking for an upgrade from an aesthetic perspective. But the more I look and think I'm thinking maybe I should just keep it stock. I agree the yellow feels much better on my eyes, I hate it when people get some ridiculously bright white or blue light thats not OEM and it really hurts my eyes!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

headlight upgrade

I have 2014 base which has the hid in it. I wanted to change out my light bulb to a bluish color and I am not so sure how to make it happen. I can't take the old bulb out

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsBoyfriend View Post
lol yep i saw it in your profile!

scotty, I'm not too worried about light output I live in a pretty well lit city and don't do much country driving at all, I mostly was looking for an upgrade from an aesthetic perspective. But the more I look and think I'm thinking maybe I should just keep it stock. I agree the yellow feels much better on my eyes, I hate it when people get some ridiculously bright white or blue light thats not OEM and it really hurts my eyes!
I've had to pull over and slow down to the point where I might as well have pulled over because of jackasses running cheap HIDs in factory housings. Do it right, or don't do it at all. Ppl trying to look all cool or "JDM" or whatever are a danger and a menace to the rest of us. They should also be given hefty fines/fix it tickets on the spot IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
I have 2014 base which has the hid in it. I wanted to change out my light bulb to a bluish color and I am not so sure how to make it happen. I can't take the old bulb out

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
If you swap out a factory Philips 4300K HID bulb for a cheap blue HID... I have no words to describe how *** backwards that is. Also, OEM HID bulbs typically are a completely different style base and nobody really makes 8k-12k HIDs in those bases because, frankly, nobody in their right mind would swap out an OEM HID for a cheaper/inferior aftermarket bulb.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Years ago I bought a used GTI that had HID lights, I never liked them but was too lazy to swap them out. Anyway the car passed inspection in both TX and KY but when I moved to MD I got a ticket for blue lights. I had to swap them out but would never go down that path again. I'm not a big fan of blue lights on a Mustang as they scream cheap aftermarket parts.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion