New clutch time. Anything new and awesome out these days? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
New clutch time. Anything new and awesome out these days?

Have used Ram clutches in the past with success on more than "bolt on" apps and the usual "King Cobra" on cars without a power adder. Thinking of giving Spec a try but lots of mixed reviews. I have a feeling the mixed reviews come from ppl who are clueless about proper installation or are using a non OEM cable or they had some fly by night shop do it.

Seems like the usual suspects of Ram/Spec/McCleod/Centerforce etc... are all about the same as the last time I actually bought a clutch new which was 2009 lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I like my Exedy stage 1 or whatever the basic one off AM is. Stock pedal feel with a slightly better clamping force and I think it's rated to like 400 ft-lbs
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I just put a exidy Mach 400 and I'm happy with it even though I only have about 100 miles so I can't say how well it grips under hard loads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I'm going to drop this mofo for a 3rd time I'm going to put something in that is not going to slip if I ever decide to supercharge. I've heard the exedy 400 is good but skeptical about it being ok behind a 425whp application. Exedy rates them around 400hp on their site I don't care what am says. At a stock power level I'll get a stock luk replacement for $80 off of Rockauto...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That's why I got the Mach 400 because I don't plan on doing anything crazy as far as power fir a while and my thinking is that the clutch will be able to handle almost as much as my stock internals can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to look at a few more things and I keep hearing great stuff about a shop up in Michigan called "Clutch Dynamics". Every single person I've ever heard of who has one of their clutches has rave reviews and they are cheaper than the stuff you see online. They only recently got a website and they don't even take credit cards because they are a mom/pop shop.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Actually talked to Clutch Dynamics yesterday. Guy is SUPER nice and if I needed a ceramic or dual disc clutch I'd go with them in a heartbeat. Google them, if you are in the market for a clutch, their prices are 2/3 to HALF of others for ceramic and dual disc.

He actually told me to upgrade to an 11" flywheel since I'm modular and to run a quality organic clutch so I'm actually going to get the 01-04 Exedy Mach 400. Clutch is in the mail and I found someone selling a takeoff 11" flywheel from a Coyote crate motor for $100.

Hopefully this saga of three transmission drops will be over soon lol.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have the spec stage 3+...i think it's a good clutch and it clamps very strong but my car is a DD and I feel like it's a little too harsh for that. If I were to make my car a dedicated racer I think it would be good but I'm definitely gonna get something different I was thinking the exedy stage 3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jsteele84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have been happy with SPEC. I have a McLeod to install on the white one, we'll see.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

McCleod is a top notch clutch, but very overpriced. Spec 3 is also complete overkill, hell even the Spec 2 is. Organic at 11" is good for as much as the stock PI motor will make for a mostly street car.

I'm sure I'll be fine with this basic clutch that is really a "stage 1" no matter what AM says. The whole "stage" thing is just a marketing gimmick or a dumbed down system for ppl who can't read torque ratings IMHO.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well I plan on going up to 600-700 whp...lots of money and work from now but I'm still procharged. I'm a bit hesitant about going that high cause it's still a DD. But for sure the spec 3+ feels like overkill, when I'm going fast I have no complaint but when I'm at a stop sign it just feels like too much work to drive like a normal car.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele84 View Post
Well I plan on going up to 600-700 whp...lots of money and work from now but I'm still procharged. I'm a bit hesitant about going that high cause it's still a DD. But for sure the spec 3+ feels like overkill, when I'm going fast I have no complaint but when I'm at a stop sign it just feels like too much work to drive like a normal car.

Swap to a Clutch Dynamics twin disc. It'll hold the power you are making and pedal feel is stock. Also will let out a lot more like stock will vs instant bite. He also only charges $500 for the twin disc setup...

Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have been hearing a lot about clutch dynamics lately...is there any big difference between single and twin as far as feeling/performance and install? This clutch is not going bad any time soon and I wanted to ride it out but I think im just gonna call it a loss at this point, maybe even step down to the stage 2 for now lol

Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are talking 600-700 you will require twin disc. Call up Clutch Dynamics and talk to Dan, he'll get you setup with something. Install is pretty much the same, just two discs and a little more hardware.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've been looking at what people say about clutches they run lately. So go a twin disc setup seems a bit iffy to me. On the other hand I keep hearing great things about clutch dynamics, so I think I'm just gonna try it out. If its not what I want this time I'll just deal with it. Now all I need is money for my car lol

Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Why does twin disc seem iffy? Stock pedal feel and a ****ton more grip.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Only because I've never used one. And you're the first person I've heard to use one that doesn't have a dedicated track car. If my car was track only the spec 3+ would be awesome and I would say it, but it's a DD car so I don't like it. But you've given me hope lol so I'm gonna use a twin disc next time and actually experience it myself. That's all

Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My buddy had a twin disc on his Shelby, drove just fine and held 650whp all day. He let me drive it and it was maybe as stiff as my stage 1 Exedy is now. I don't remember what brand he went with though, might have been McLeod
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well I guess I'll do that. Not really wanting to do a swap since it's a bit of a pain but it seems like a better alternative. Hopefully others will read this and learn from my mistake lol

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

No worries man, some people like having a super stiff clutch, especially when compared to the price of a twin or triple disc clutch setup
Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well the twin setups on AM are $1k... Clutch Dynamics is half that price and just as good.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So I see a good portion of my free time looking up twin disc clutches and researching them and to be honest I'm a bit embarrassed for thinking they are bad. The only thing I can see that people ***** about us the price. But I think it's well worth it. When I got mine its like I had to re-learn how to drive. Now that I've made the decision in just excited now lol

Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

IMO, single organic for a street car up to 500hp. Single ceramic for something that sees regular track time up to around the same power. Any more than that and you should go 26 spline and a twin disc. Anything past 600 or 700 for the 1/4 you'd be a dummy not to swap to auto IMO unless you are road racing so you don't have to worry about clutches then.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Its not so much the numbers I'm worried about. I want a clutch that can handle the power that should without saying. But my goal for this car is to be a crazy daily driver. And from what it sounds like, twin does that. I want to make at least 600 hp, more importantly I want to be able drive my car without it feeling like a hassle. It's not gonna be stock obviously but it should be enjoyable. This is my issue right now, and I know it's gonna be trial and error but I like hearing what people think. Which is why I'm on this forum alot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion