Buying a used mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Buying a used mustang

I'm aiming to buy a used 2011+ GT at the end of the year. Would the '15s affect prices? Would the '15s cause more of them to be available when people trade in their GTs for the new stang? Right now the average price of the GTs around me are 22k.
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you can swing it maybe look at a leftover 14 GT. You can get a base model for $27k out the door from some dealers. Then its new and you don't have to worry about used.

If getting a used one, look for a clean, bone *** stock 2011 that is preferably garage kept by an older owner with all maintenance records and receipts. These are still new enough where that is not too much of a problem. You can also often look into buying an extended Ford warranty for a vehicle as new as a 2011. Or, screw the warranty if you are going to mod it. >
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It's gonna be my first car purchase, the 14s are kinda high for my range for the same power that the 11 offers... and lol warranties, I will end up modding it. Ty for your input!
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also suggest you try both autos and sticks even if you are a "manual only" type person. For 1/4 mile performance, you want the automatic.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If you plan to "drive" the car, get a standard.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
If you plan to "drive" the car, get a standard.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
And lose to the A6 with the same mods as you in a race.

Fact of the matter is, these aren't grandpa's automatics. It's all personal preference in the end obviously but if one is worried about optimal 1/4 times, the M6 is a liability. If you like to bang gears and fly around corners and aren't as worried about the 1/4 mile then the M6 might be better.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Seriously lets not turn this into a manual vs auto thread. We all know that some believe manuals are more fun to drive while auto's are clearly going to be more consistent at the strip.

With that said I would think it will take the 15's being out for at least a couple of months before you really see the 'old model' discount. But its really a person to person thing. Some are saying that the 11-14's are better cars then the 15's so they will hold value although some like the 15's. So you may find someone trying to get more then the dealer will give them in for trade and be able to pick up one for a good price. Right now with the incentive Ford is offering on the remaining 14's people are having trouble selling 11-14's for what there worth.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Seriously lets not turn this into a manual vs auto thread. We all know that some believe manuals are more fun to drive while auto's are clearly going to be more consistent at the strip.

With that said I would think it will take the 15's being out for at least a couple of months before you really see the 'old model' discount. But its really a person to person thing. Some are saying that the 11-14's are better cars then the 15's so they will hold value although some like the 15's. So you may find someone trying to get more then the dealer will give them in for trade and be able to pick up one for a good price. Right now with the incentive Ford is offering on the remaining 14's people are having trouble selling 11-14's for what there worth.
Yeah you can get a brand new base model 14 for $27k-$29k out the door if you look. When someone is asking $22k for a 2011 that is a no brainer to go with the new car.

IMHO, handling guys are going to want the 2015 all the way and the 1/4 guys will probably like the 11-14s better unless the new IRS proves to be as durable as the SRA but I have a feeling its going to take a lot more $$$ to get the IRS up to par for 1/4 runs than it would for the SRA.

Like we all keep saying, time will tell and it'll take only a few months for the bigger names in the game to really get a handle on what the exact problem areas are and areas where it excels.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion