Loud Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Loud Exhaust

Has anyone else been having to deal with butt hurt neighbors complaining about how loud your car is? I wasn't even aware because they decided to not confront me and try to get all my neighbors to call the police and petition my exhaust because I leave for work a 0530 ( I'm enlisted in the Army). There are louder cars around, parties at ninight, and construction all over.

So for those of you who have dealt with this. How'd it end up?
JonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I personally think anyone in the military can do whatever the hell they want when within reason. You fight for rights you get the right to make your misting scream. Give the neighbors hell!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Has anyone else been having to deal with butt hurt neighbors complaining about how loud your car is? I wasn't even aware because they decided to not confront me and try to get all my neighbors to call the police and petition my exhaust because I leave for work a 0530 ( I'm enlisted in the Army). There are louder cars around, parties at ninight, and construction all over.

So for those of you who have dealt with this. How'd it end up?
I'd have to hear how loud personally. If you have a loud *** exhaust and someone gets woken up every morning... I mean they should say something to YOU beforehand but some ppl are just not confrontational. With that said there IS such a thing is too loud but it could also be some ******* who thinks anything louder than a Camry is too loud so like I said, would have to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I personally think anyone in the military can do whatever the hell they want when within reason. You fight for rights you get the right to make your misting scream. Give the neighbors hell!

Completely untrue. I'm active USAF and there are way too many ******** in the service who think they are entitled to do whatever they want because they are military. Yeah we do have a job that is not like other jobs, we also get a lot of military benefits, free healthcare and probably the best retirement package out there if we do 20. We are not entitled to act like jerks, quite the opposite in fact. Public image is a big deal and if the "neighbors" all see one guy/gal in a uniform pissing everyone off then guess what they are going to think about other uniformed personnel?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Completely untrue. I'm active USAF and there are way too many ****** in the service who think they are entitled to do whatever they want because they are military. Yeah we do have a job that is not like other jobs, we also get a lot of military benefits, free healthcare and probably the best retirement package out there if we do 20. We are not entitled to act like jerks, quite the opposite in fact. Public image is a big deal and if the "neighbors" all see one guy/gal in a uniform pissing everyone off then guess what they are going to think about other uniformed personnel?
Well said Scottydsntknow.

I respect all military, past and present. However, I too don't see why they should "anoy" their neighbors, thus ruining the great reputation they have and deserve by serving this country.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately we live in a society where people feel it all revolves around them. Yes their parties may be louder but thats ok its them. Screw them if thats how the handle it. Is your exhaust legal in your state? If so forget them. If not you may have a problem but its too bad they couldn't handle like neighbors, they may have had a better outcome. If it is a noise ordnance thing than check the laws. I have a neighbor who called on me for something, would have been so easy to just ring the bell and tell me my kids shirt was on roof but they had to call "the association". People are a$$'s man. Just our world today.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well that's the thing. I live in a neighborhood that isn't exactly quiet. There are people on their motorcycles screaming down the road, turbo diesel trucks that are loud, there are a few mustangs a street over that are louder, and even dune buggies. I'm surrounded by military and police officers, with a few civilians, and they all throw parties nightly. Hell one of the houses has dance lessons in their drive way with dozens of people there with music blasting.

These people we're going house to house with the noise ordnance, my address and vehicle description to get people to call the police. It says between the hour of 10pm and yam noise cannot exceed 50dB from 30 ft away.

I guess I was just looking for other people that have been singled out for what ever reason.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with Scotty. While I am grateful for our military, at the end of the day it's a job. YES! A much more dangerous job than say working in retail, but still a job. Oil rig workers risk their life's also, along with a lot of dangerous jobs in this world that make our economy what it is. I would say the only diff is military doesn't get paid as good.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Well that's the thing. I live in a neighborhood that isn't exactly quiet. There are people on their motorcycles screaming down the road, turbo diesel trucks that are loud, there are a few mustangs a street over that are louder, and even dune buggies. I'm surrounded by military and police officers, with a few civilians, and they all throw parties nightly. Hell one of the houses has dance lessons in their drive way with dozens of people there with music blasting.

These people we're going house to house with the noise ordnance, my address and vehicle description to get people to call the police. It says between the hour of 10pm and yam noise cannot exceed 50dB from 30 ft away.

I guess I was just looking for other people that have been singled out for what ever reason.
Well if you have a fix-it ticket then I dunno. If not then I guess just work on driving out mildly and then hammering it when you are out of the neighborhood. Just part of living in the "burbs" I guess. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless they issued you a citation. And then if they did you have a right to face your accuser in court (which is how you beat redlight camera tickets btw). If there is just an anonymous complaint then they can't do **** unless they camp out and catch you themselves.

Yet another reason why I run an exhaust that is mile at idle and low RPMs and only really screams if I punch it. Speak softly, and carry a big stick. Working on the big stick part... I have a NA 2V lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Maybe he is passed at all the parties and stuff and is taking it out on you and your car because it is easier?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well I found outt he people/person handing out info, on the noise ordnance I was breaking, is handing out the wrong info. The person has been giving information about music at a residence (cannot exceed 50dB at 30ft). I looked at the whole ordnance and it says vehicles can't exceed 70dB measured at 50ft away when traveling under 35mph.

I downloaded a meter app for my phone (I know not accurate) to get some sense of where I'm at and I wasn't even close to 70dB while modeling. So that gives me some room to let me to have shorter shifts when leaving. I'm about to go out house to house with the correct information just to show how dumb the person is.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah 50db would be completely ridiculous. I wouldn't worry too much

Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Active army infantry staff sergeant here, there are tons of idiots and inconsiderate people in the military. Unfortunate but true. I leave the house for PT formation at 0530 too, I take my wife's fusion to PT for that very reason. If you didn't have to get up so early, you probably wouldn't want someone's car waking you at that hour either.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd be pretty mad if someone woke me up early on a workday with their loud assed car. I think many car guys don't realize how disturbing a loud car is to regular people, 5:30 is early. I used to like pissing off people with my exhaust but I'm old now and am trying to make more friends and fewer enemies. I must admit, Mustangs with loud exhausts sound great.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

If you don't have a HOA......screw them. If you do,there still isn't much they can do. There is nothing in HOA guidelines about exhaust on your car. I would ignore them and continue to live your life.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
I'd be pretty mad if someone woke me up early on a workday with their loud assed car. I think many car guys don't realize how disturbing a loud car is to regular people, 5:30 is early. I used to like pissing off people with my exhaust but I'm old now and am trying to make more friends and fewer enemies. I must admit, Mustangs with loud exhausts sound great.
The HOA may not be able to handle the situation of a loud exhaust, but the local police department can. They (either the nieghbors or HOA) will contact the local police department and ask for a patrol person to "visit" the neighborhood during the early hours and inforce the law, whatever it may be.

Happened to me several years ago. I used to ride my Harley on early Saturday mornings when I lived in south Florida. My next door neighbor did not like the noise of the exhaust coming from the 5 or 6 bikes that would meet at my house before the ride. He contacted the HOA, who in turn had the local police arrive early one Saturday morning to "see what the issue was". We were polite, and the officer was polite. He gave us a choice; we could either accept a ticket for "noise violations", or arrage to meet at the corner on Saturday mornings. We grumbled about it, but decided to meet at the local diner for breakfast.

Issue solved. I no longer live in an HOA run subdivision, but still respect my neighbors.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Definitely agree with everything here about loud vehicles. Even if one isn't close to the DB limit, if your neighborhood is setup to where your garage is near(ish) someone's bedroom window or the houses are close to the street and you've got dumped mufflers with no cats and headers and leave at 6AM every morning... sorry you're an ***hole.

Even if not 6AM, not everyone works during the day. I was night shift for two years straight (7-7 12 hour shifts) and it was hard sometimes with the neighbors doing yardwork or using air tools during the day with me trying to sleep. Granted, that is one of the downfalls of working nights and I did not consider them inconsiderate but that sort of thing generally is not super loud enough be a problem with a shut window unlike some of the **** ppl run on their vehicles.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There's always been the "loud pipes save lives' thing going with motorcycles. Yep, My harley had a set. However, I tried to "limp"out of my neighborhood if I had to leave in the early mornings on the bike.

Same with a car. All folks have to do is show a small amount of respect to the neighbors around them. This way, it does not become an issue, and tigher regulations or inforcement will not take place.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have Flowmaster Outlaws on my 13' GT and wondered about the neighbors for a while as I leave the house every day around 0500. I live in Indiana where fireworks are legal and in my neighborhood (with an HOA), it is the 4th of July every night until at least 11-12PM from June 1st to August 31st, when I am in bed between 9-10PM, so I see it as a fair trade-off. I have even gone as far as to go WOT at 0430 in the morning in front of a house that had me up with fireworks until 1AM. Most other days I start my car with the garage door closed then put it in reverse so it kicks down the idle, then open the door and slowly "limp" out of my subdivision out of respect for my neighbors.
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust