Title Transfer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exclamation Title Transfer

Having title transfer problems. Going to the Texas DMV tomorrow to ask further questions but I'll ask on here to get a general idea. The previous owner sold me the car that wasn't in his name. He didn't want the car but he sign over a Bill of Sale. The title on the back is still signed by him and it's illegal to scratch out name. We still make contact through the phone but he is out of state now. Is there a way I could get the car in my name? He said he cannot have any more car on his insurance. ( I think he's lying). Never heard of that before. He said if they allow like him to submit a paper notarized saying he did not want it and sold to me could that work? Kinda don't want to submit a lost title for this car.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You may be ****ed. NEVER buy a car from someone who does not actually have the car in their name. Clean title only... ever... no matter what.... Bill of sale means nothing if it is not notarized. He would have to title it in his name and then you transfer it right over at the same time but he WOULD have to provide proof of insurance and if he's having legal trouble (or is an illegal or something) then he can't even do that.

You are very likely about to learn a very hard life lesson... I hope you can all get it worked out, but 99% you'll never hear from this guy again.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Live and learn. You think I could contact the original owner and see if he would get a duplicate title and have me sign it? I still talk to the guy who sold me the car. He just keeps making the same two excuses. Too many cars on his insurance and he is out of town working until November.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah that story will keep on being told to you and eventually he'll stop answering texts/calls. You could potentially contact the original owner but unless he/she is a really nice person don't expect anything and even then they would have to put the car back on their insurance and then wait until the hardcopy card comes because you can't use a digital insurance card as legal proof of insurance at the DMV... Unless they'll issue a duplicate title without proof of insurance that is. They might. If they don't you'll have to pay whatever that pro-rate is for the 5-7 business days it takes for the card to show up, pay for the duplicate title, THEN pay for the title transfer/tax and likely owe this person a 30 pack for their trouble on top of all that at minimum.

This is all IF you could get ahold of the original owner since the title would still be in that person's name.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if all else fails, how hard is it to get a Bonded Title?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

A little off topic. But he may be telling the truth about the insurance. In RI if you have so many cars, you have to obtain a dealers license and adjust your insurance accordingly while also paying state/town taxes and fees. Some neighborhoods you're not even allowed to park so many vehicles on your property. Insure it and crash it.
JonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
A little off topic. But he may be telling the truth about the insurance. In RI if you have so many cars, you have to obtain a dealers license and adjust your insurance accordingly while also paying state/town taxes and fees. Some neighborhoods you're not even allowed to park so many vehicles on your property. Insure it and crash it.
Didn't know that. He told me he called his insurance and they told him he had to many cars.

But I'm just driving it back and fourth to work. Tags expire in a few months so I need to do something soon.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Find out if you can get an abandoned title or apply for a duplicate title.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Didn't know that. He told me he called his insurance and they told him he had to many cars.

But I'm just driving it back and fourth to work. Tags expire in a few months so I need to do something soon.
So, you're driving this car? If you get pulled by a police officer and they run the tag, they are going to see its registered/tagged in someone elses name, and you'll get harrased at the very least as driving a potentially stolen car!

Texas, along with other states has some strick laws on getting a title transfered. Someone mentioned a bonded title; that can work if you are trying to sell the car out of state or overseas (I had to do this once), but you need a title in your name or some other proof you own it.
If your friends with this person, get in touch ASAP, and get them to first register that title into their name, then have them sign it over to you. What you are now trying to do is get a title from a third party to you; most, if not all states do not allow this.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So, you're driving this car? If you get pulled by a police officer and they run the tag, they are going to see its registered/tagged in someone elses name, and you'll get harrased at the very least as driving a potentially stolen car!

Texas, along with other states has some strick laws on getting a title transfered. Someone mentioned a bonded title; that can work if you are trying to sell the car out of state or overseas (I had to do this once), but you need a title in your name or some other proof you own it.
If your friends with this person, get in touch ASAP, and get them to first register that title into their name, then have them sign it over to you. What you are now trying to do is get a title from a third party to you; most, if not all states do not allow this.
Pretty much. As I said he is very likely to be about to learn a life lesson. And he for damn sure would be driving this car illegally in NJ, not sure about TX. I know if this was me and I got pulled over the car would be towed at minimum. Cop would probably also be pretty suspicious of it being stolen.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have a question. Why the hell would you pay someone for a car that is not in their name?
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
I have a question. Why the hell would you pay someone for a car that is not in their name?
Because they haven't learned the hard way yet not to. If the title was signed by the first person and NOT the guy he got it from, then yes the OP could take possession of it but since it was signed by this other guy he should have known that he would not have been able to use THIS particular title legally.

Like I said I'd try to get my money back if I could not get ahold of the first owner and offer some $$$ or whatever to get him/her to put insurance back on it temporarily and get a duplicate title. Otherwise the OP is basically driving a stolen vehicle for all intents and purposes. Or at the very least, driving illegally.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This shouldn't be any problem at all...
Just go into the DMV, bring whatever paperwork that you have for the car, tell them what the deal is, and they will take care of it.
This sort of thing happens all of the time. As long as the car isn't stolen, they will transfer it into your name. All they really want are the fees anyway.

The last two vehicles that I have purchased recently had this EXACT situation with the title... The person that I bought them from was NOT the person who's name was on the title.
They didn't even question the transactions at the DMV.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
^or just dont get pulled over. Thats what I do!
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Just go into the DMV, bring whatever paperwork that you have for the car, tell them what the deal is, and they will take care of it.
This sort of thing happens all of the time. As long as the car isn't stolen, they will transfer it into your name. All they really want are the fees anyway.

The last two vehicles that I have purchased recently had this EXACT situation with the title... The person that I bought them from was NOT the person who's name was on the title.
They sure as hell do here. It may vary state to state.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

What, in California they let you do that? Lol. Highly doubt Texas would allow this. I can try though. I have all the proof message of the guy selling and meeting up. Also have the title and bill of sale as well as the car on my insurance.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They sure as hell do here. It may vary state to state.
Yes. It probably does.

Slash has both the car and the title though.
What is it that they say? "Possession is 9/10ths of the law".

If he was to go in there with nothing and say "I don't have any paperwork, this guy just sold it to me." That would make it more difficult.
It will be interesting to see how they handle this situation in Texas.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
What, in California they let you do that? Lol. Highly doubt Texas would allow this. I can try though. I have all the proof message of the guy selling and meeting up. Also have the title and bill of sale as well as the car on my insurance.

Yes. Im serious.
I had exactly the same paperwork that you have. People buy cars all of the time and never get the title changed into their name.
Go tell them the situation and they'll let you know what you need to complete the transfer.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I will give it a try Monday and report back. Hopefully it works.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah go with the car and the bill of sale (although not notarized its still something) and the title and see what they can do. In NJ they'd tell you you need a clear title with no sigs but TX might be like it is around Stray.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Just got back from DMV. They said Google or Facebook the owner on the title and see if he will get it signed to me or get the guy who sold me to put the car in his name and then mail me the title with his signature. Or last option is a Bonded Title.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
They don't make it easy in Texas do they?

Try to get in contact with the person who's name is on the title. The last address should be on the title. Explain to him/her what is going on and make it clear that you are driving a car that is still registered in his name and that you would like to transfer the title into your name ASAP to relieve him of any liability.
You might try getting in contact with the person that you bought the car from and explain to them that it is going to be extremely difficult for you to register the car without his assistance. He could meet you at the DMV and transfer the car into his name and then you could immediately transfer it into your name.

What a pain!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Supposedly the guy who sold me the car said the guy on the title moved out of state. Who knows but I did Facebook and came up with a few people. So I'm waiting for there response.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, you may be screwed. Most states do not allow this sort of thing in case of title fraud or other contingencies. Sucks that this happened but to you and anyone reading this, you never EVER buy a car from someone who does not have it in their name. Doesn't matter what they say.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Naw, Slash will get it transferred. Even if he has to do that bonded title.

Ive been thinking, California is pretty lenient when it comes to the titles. We have a LOT of vehicles registered in this state though. It used to be something like three per resident of the state, on average.

I just finished registering the car hauler/ramp truck that I recently bought through a "third party" sale. It just needed to be smogged. Lol. I drove it over to the emissions testing shop with the check engine light on the whole way over there (EGR valve). I read up on it and it won't show a permanent code (OBD1) until about 80 warm-up cycles are completed, until then the CEL only lights up while the system is actually malfunctioning. It resets when the key is turned off and the EGR won't trigger the CEL again unless the vehicle is in gear and moving.
I didn't even bother to remove the pending code before I brought it into them to test.
It passed with flying colors.

Next is the Bullitt that I, again, bought through a third party. It's already in my name and just needs to be smogged before the transfer is completed.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to try to get ahold of the original owner. If that doesn't work then I'll just have to get a Bonded Title. Does the Bonded Title go back to clear after like three or four years or does it stay a Bonded Title?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

It should become a regular title after a specified period of time. Generally 3 years but it can vary. Before you can get the bonded title though, you usually do have to provided documented effort to obtain a legit title which can be anything from emails or all the way through certified mail if the DMV wants to be a bunch of pricks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion