Drive train CLUNK - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Drive train CLUNK

I have a 2013 GT automatic. Whenever I'm coming to a stop, say slowing down for a red light, and right before I come to a complete stop I hear and feel a CLUNK.....I think towards the rear. Is this just driveshaft lash that could be remedied by a one piece? Or?

Muchas Gracias
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I had the same clunk in mine. It seemed to go away when I installed a one-piece. I think the stock two-piece driveshafts just have a lil too much play in them.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had the same thing. I think it's play in the stock driveshaft. It went away with a one piece driveshaft which was my first mod recently installed just to get rid of the clunk. I hated that noise and my friend swore it cured it for him on his 13 and has done so for me as well.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well there goes another $700. Lol
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Yep that works, but I can think of better things to spend $700-$900 on then fix my GT clunk. Also don't forget magazine coverage about some 1 piece drive shafts causing vibrations in road track racing that then needs cured.

Page 140 of Hot Rod issue 1014

Edit: And then the surge of 1 piece drive shafts for sale I started to see on my Mustang Facebook pages 3 weeks ago !
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Do yourself a favor and get a Shaftmasters DS.I just installed one. Easy direct bolt in. And the best part it's $599 shipped. Ive run mine up to 100mph and its smooth as glass. Very nice piece.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a Shaftmasters DS.I just installed one. Easy direct bolt in. And the best part it's $599 shipped. Ive run mine up to 100mph and its smooth as glass. Very nice piece.

Not to Dis anything here but you don't need a new drive shaft for 100 mph. Its needed for over 130 mph on the V6... My factory past V6 2-section one worked just fine at 112 on the oval track hiting the 113 limiter. Some of the aftermarket one piece units have vibration issues at higher speeds on road tracks, see Magazine issues up one.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't do any track racing and rarely if ever stray above 100 except to pass a long line of semi trucks out here in the middle of no where. I haven't noticed any vibration but like I said not a track guy just a few spirited drives up to 75. I got mine simply for the clunk. I'm OCD about noises. Creaks, squeaks, rattles clunks all drive me into a rage lol.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarskringspier View Post
I don't do any track racing and rarely if ever stray above 100 except to pass a long line of semi trucks out here in the middle of no where. I haven't noticed any vibration but like I said not a track guy just a few spirited drives up to 75. I got mine simply for the clunk. I'm OCD about noises. Creaks, squeaks, rattles clunks all drive me into a rage lol.
It use to drive me crazy, but I've just decided that's the nature of this beast. The GT is a performance oriented car, so it's going to have some clunks and noises. I do want to replace the factory 2 piece DS though.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

In all reality, if you read about it all the one piece drive shafts do is move the mid point to one end, so are they really one-piece if they still move back and forth like they must on a live axle? And if they don't what will happen to your pinion thrust angle ?

Just asking after a Hot Rod Magazine article on them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion