Slow 0-60 times... is it a weak Coyote? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Slow 0-60 times... is it a weak Coyote?

Is there anyone else out there struggling to get a sub 5 second 0-60? I'm getting a little paranoid that I'm driving a lemon. It seems from reading the forums guys are getting 4 and a half second times relatively easy but I can't even get close. I've got a 2014 GT Premium with Track Pack. It's new... with 4500 km on it (a little over 3000 miles I think). It feels strong, not underpowered. It pulls hard but finding a balance between hooking up and feathering the throttle, I hope is the only problem. But... I'm having doubts. My best time using track apps up to recently was 5.3 sec. To get 5.3, there was quite a bit of spin in first and enough to get sideways in second. So, when I go a little easier to avoid wheel spin I end up in the 5.7 range. The other day I just happened to have about 100 lbs of tools in the back and a full tank of gas. I was able to pull a 5.1. Better but a long way off from 4.5. A few factors that may be in my favor... When I did 5.1 it was on 87 octane and I still put down about 10-15 ft of rubber. Also, the track pack with 3.73's hits the rev limiter just before 60 so I have to get it into 3rd before a time is registered. I'm certain AC was on as well but unlike the TSI Talon I had in the 90's I can't feel much of a difference whether it's on our off. I think there may be another tenth or two but I'm really frustrated not to get into the mid 4's. Anyone else struggling with this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What elevation are you at? That will play a major roll in engine performance. Some of it is also a combination of driver mod and traction.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

2200 ft. Definitely a good distance from sea level but wouldn't think it would account for much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
what is the temperature of where you are at??????
wgolden30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
AC does not matter. It shuts off automatically at 100% throttle anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i live in arizona, when it is 115 degrees my car does not perform at 100%....

there are several places when it is hot and humid the car will automatically lower performance.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Your car is fine. Traction is limiting you. Those factory numbers and car magazine numbers are done by pros, with perfect conditions. My best time out of 6 or so attempts was 5.49 seconds to 60. Traction being the biggest limit, as first gear was pretty much unusable.

Watch this video, should put things into perspective. These guys can't even get a c7 Corvette into the 4's with launch control!
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have wondered this myself. I am at best hitting 5 flat. I havent tried much since I did my suspension so I know that is going to help. I have done some 1/4 runs and even with some spin at launch last one was 13.1 @111. I figure I still need work. Manual gotta hit gears just right.

Live in Naples, FL 5 miles from ocean for what thats worth
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Anywhere from 15 C - 30 C depending on time of day. It was 28 C when I ran 5.1 sec and cooler temps definitely lead to more traction issues.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Your car is fine. Traction is limiting you. Those factory numbers and car magazine numbers are done by pros, with perfect conditions. My best time out of 6 or so attempts was 5.49 seconds to 60. Traction being the biggest limit, as first gear was pretty much unusable.

Watch this video, should put things into perspective. These guys can't even get a c7 Corvette into the 4's with launch control!
Man, no disrespect but that's a horrible 0-60 mph time. 5.49 seconds is factory 3.7 with 2:73 gears. Us 3.7 guys are running mid to high 4's 0-60 mph with just bolt on's and 60-70 less horsepower than stock 5.0's.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

To help just start in 2nd I never use 1st when I'm trying to launch there is so much torque. You can't go faster if the tires are spinning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
To help just start in 2nd I never use 1st when I'm trying to launch there is so much torque. You can't go faster if the tires are spinning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hadn't thought of that. I did consider skipping second because around town I usually just go from 1st - 3rd - 5th. And there's plenty of pull in 3rd even when skipping 2nd. It's an awkward shift though to do quickly. I'm away from my car until next week but will see if it'll get off the line quick enough in 2nd to improve that time.
I'm a little anxious now... Might cut a tenth or two not having that extra shift and another tenth or two without the spin.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

never doubt the coyote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Man, no disrespect but that's a horrible 0-60 mph time. 5.49 seconds is factory 3.7 with 2:73 gears. Us 3.7 guys are running mid to high 4's 0-60 mph with just bolt on's and 60-70 less horsepower than stock 5.0's.

None taken. On that particular night and on that particular road, I doubt anyone would have done much better. Traction was a serious limitation with my all season tires. Also I'm not certain the accuracy of my timing device (Torque Pro app on an andriod tablet). The car certainly felt faster then the time would indicate, especially compared to my last car which would pull low 6 second runs to 60.

Anyways, the moral of the story is to not judge the health of your engine based on hap hazard 0-60 runs on public roads with poor surface quality using timing devices which may or may not be accurate.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

I Don't think so , no way a 2.73 does those numbers I had one
I added 3.55s and a MPT tune in cold weather to run 5.4, stock it was 6.0 - 6.2

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote:

I Don't think so , no way a stock 2.73 does those numbers I had one
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
None taken. On that particular night and on that particular road, I doubt anyone would have done much better. Traction was a serious limitation with my all season tires. Also I'm not certain the accuracy of my timing device (Torque Pro app on an andriod tablet). The car certainly felt faster then the time would indicate, especially compared to my last car which would pull low 6 second runs to 60.

Anyways, the moral of the story is to not judge the health of your engine based on hap hazard 0-60 runs on public roads with poor surface quality using timing devices which may or may not be accurate.
Bro, say no more. Your using the torque app on Android. That's why your times are way way off. I too have that app on my phone and the scan tool. The track app doesn't work to measure speed correctly. It does a fine job at measuring a constant speed but not accelerating speeds.

I tried using torque app to measure my speed and my car was doing 60 mph and torque app displayed my speed at like 40 mph. The car moves faster than the torque app can record and track the actual speed.

Try it yourself again. Do 55 mph and floor it. Watch what your speedometer reads and then look what torque app reads. Torque app is way behind because it can't read your speed acceleration that quick.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That video is comforting. He's going through the same struggle I'm going through... and, he doesn't need to pull another gear like I do. My shifts are quite a bit quicker than what he's doing here though.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Hi Kona, you cant say that scientifically; Torque uses the Chip accellerometers in your particular cell phone; some will be better some will be terrible. In any case you must use a scientific method when talking about these numbers and taking down research, so see what that means. A control subject should always be used when comparing research.

IN any case, don't rely on cell phone apps. best advise !

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I Don't think so , no way a 2.73 does those numbers I had one

I gotta side more with the V6 comments about the horrible V8 times on this one. Consistent 5.55 to 5.60 with stock PP 3.31, manual trans and no tune. That seems about normal, nothing unusual. You had a bad tune or something to only pick up a 1/10th with those gears over stock.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Hi Kona, you cant say that scientifically; Torque uses the Chip accellerometers in your particular cell phone; some will be better some will be terrible. In any case you must use a scientific method when talking about these numbers and taking down research, so see what that means. A control subject should always be used when comparing research.

IN any case, don't rely on cell phone apps. best advise !

Art
The cell phone apps for measuring 0-60 mph is definitely no where near accurate. Lol. Glad you agree with me on that.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have 3.31 gears with a 93 MPT tune, Airaid CAI, and FR x-pipe on ultra performance pirellis and I'm running under 5 seconds 0-60 consistently.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion