10-speed stang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
10-speed stang

Sounds interesting... Ford Mustang to Get 10-Speed Transmission » AutoGuide.com News

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
I'll hold out for the 12 speed auto. I'm also holding out for the 8 blade shaving razor. On a more serious note, is there some sort of auto trans gear competition? The more the better? I'll take a 5 or 6 speed manual. 6 manual gears should be plenty.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah I really don't get the point of so many gears. My buddy had a Lexus IS-F for a while. Really nice car, very quick, but it was an 8 speed auto/tiptronic, and it seemed like it was constantly shifting. And I saw a video where they compared it against an M3 and a C63 AMG, and they said that it's main problem was it couldn't decide on a gear going around the track. Just doesn't seem to make sense, but what do I know haha.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well even with my 6 speed auto, it sometimes just can't decide which gear it wants. I can't imagine four more gears for it to stumble through. But I guess back in the days of 3-speeds they'd say the same about our 6-speeds. But electric motors will outmode gears altogether in a matter of time.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The point of all the gears is that so the ECU can keep the RPM and load on the engine at the MAX fuel saving level at all times. With a 4 speed, and maybe even a 6 speed, there are probably points where the ECU would figure if it would drop the RPM by 300 or whatever it would save 1-2 mpg on the highway but it can't because the gap in the gears is a little too wide for it to do what it wants. Its a big deal when manufacturers have to meet federal standards and also for the general mouth breathing public who just sees a bigger number and thinks "ooh better!" like the 9 speed autos in the Dodges just as an example.

No idea if it would work better than the 6 speed for the 1/4 mile honestly, depends on the gearing. If it shifts fast enough, probably better to keep it right in the max powerband at all times. Not like ppl have problems with Glides/C-4s or 4Rs at the track right now honestly and I can see it being annoying for the car to shift every 2 seconds.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Just get 4:56 gears in that 10 speed. 😱

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just switch the fuel to E85. sure you have less mpg, but also far less gas burned.

That's what manufacturers need to do.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Just get 4:56 gears in that 10 speed. 😱

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
Yeah except I guarantee the final overdrive will still be .62 or .68 so ppl with those gears will still be whirring down the highway, not to mention ppl are finding out with the current 6 spd autos that putting steep gears in them is a bad thing due to the extremely tall 1st gear which is likely going to be even steeper with a 10 spd. Think like a 5.xx ratio or higher in 1st that'll almost immediately shift to 2nd and then to 3rd within 5 seconds of hitting the gas. So actually you'd maybe even want to swap DOWN to a 2.73 in that case if you slap on some more power and don't want to blow the treads off street tires every time you floor it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Just switch the fuel to E85. sure you have less mpg, but also far less gas burned.

That's what manufacturers need to do.
Not until they figure out how to make a gallon of E85 use less regular gas to produce/transport to the filling stations than they do now. It currently is much higher than a 1:1 ratio of traditional fuel to E85 as far as that goes. E85 has actually been an abysmal failure as far as eco-friendly goes but damn if it isn't an effective race gas.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
E85 has actually been an abysmal failure as far as eco-friendly goes but damn if it isn't an effective race gas.
Dang. Didn't know that. The race gas was the main reason I was suggesting it...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Yeah except I guarantee the final overdrive will still be .62 or .68 so ppl with those gears will still be whirring down the highway, not to mention ppl are finding out with the current 6 spd autos that putting steep gears in them is a bad thing due to the extremely tall 1st gear which is likely going to be even steeper with a 10 spd. Think like a 5.xx ratio or higher in 1st that'll almost immediately shift to 2nd and then to 3rd within 5 seconds of hitting the gas. So actually you'd maybe even want to swap DOWN to a 2.73 in that case if you slap on some more power and don't want to blow the treads off street tires every time you floor it.

Not until they figure out how to make a gallon of E85 use less regular gas to produce/transport to the filling stations than they do now. It currently is much higher than a 1:1 ratio of traditional fuel to E85 as far as that goes. E85 has actually been an abysmal failure as far as eco-friendly goes but damn if it isn't an effective race gas.

If E85 were $.35 cheaper per gallon it would be more efficient (on a dollars per BTU basis) than regular unleaded gas. I work at a petrochemical refinery and if E85 were 15% cheaper to make we'd be producing at least a couple hundred thousand barrels of it per day. I'm not sure where you get the idea that it takes more than a gallon of regular unleaded gas to transport a gallon of E85 to a gas station, but it doesn't... If it did, a gallon of E85 wouldn't be cheaper than a gallon of regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

E85 is heavily subsidized. Its as cheap as it is in large part to the taxpayer.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It was my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the heaviest of the subsidies expired in 2012. Which is why it is now more expensive to run E85 than it is to run regular unleaded in terms of a $/BTU comparison. The notion that it takes two gallons of gasoline to produce one gallon of E85 still doesn't compute. That's $7 in gas (which offers better fuel economy) to make a $3 gallon of E85. There are not, not have there ever been, $4 per gallon subsidies to make this a possibility.

I agree that ethanol fuel is pretty much dead as an environment benefit, though. Though it does make great cheap race fuel, subsidized or not.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Don't get me wrong, if there was E85 around me it would be all I would run but there isn't. It never took 2 gallons of gas to make a gallon of E85, the last time I really researched this it was more like .8 gallons of E85 to 1 gallon of gasoline. I would have to look at current stats but its idiotic from an environmental standpoint until the tech improves or we start growing a more efficient crop to turn into E85. Corn is not efficient at all, its one of the harder things to make into E85 compared to something like Sugar. If cellulosic ethanol gets off the ground it could be a game changer but at this point any fossil fuel advances in automobiles sort of seem almost like a placeholder until full electric takes over and that is going to be a lot sooner than ppl think.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, if there was E85 around me it would be all I would run but there isn't. It never took 2 gallons of gas to make a gallon of E85, the last time I really researched this it was more like .8 gallons of E85 to 1 gallon of gasoline. I would have to look at current stats but its idiotic from an environmental standpoint until the tech improves or we start growing a more efficient crop to turn into E85. Corn is not efficient at all, its one of the harder things to make into E85 compared to something like Sugar. If cellulosic ethanol gets off the ground it could be a game changer but at this point any fossil fuel advances in automobiles sort of seem almost like a placeholder until full electric takes over and that is going to be a lot sooner than ppl think.

Let's hope it's not all that soon.

Either that or we can hope it's really soon so we can have all the gasoline to ourselves.

But yes it does seen that electric is inevitable. Even in the performance spectrum. Look at the P1, LaFerrari, and the 918. Three hybrids with mammoth, face-shredding performance. I think the P1 gets something like 200 of its 900 overall horsies from its electric motor (I could be a bit off). And let's not forget the most important part of that is all the low-end torque the electric propulsion provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion