Driveshaft install without a lift - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Driveshaft install without a lift

So I got the stock DS out. With my two jacks I can't get the car high enough to snake the Shaftmasters DS into place. I've seen write ups that say to snake it up through the rear.....I just can't see how that's possible! There's just no room to do so. I slipped the stocker out through the front past the auto tranny. I can't get the new DS back up that way.

I was gonna loosen the exhaust just past the the cats but the dam bolts are facing upwards towards the floor so I can't get to them. I'm guessing, or hoping, that if I remove that auto tranny cross brace I'll have enough room to slip the DS in......it gets hung up on that.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions? I can always go buy jacks and stands that raise the car higher.....I guess.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I wound up removing the left side exhaust from the cats all the way back to the muffler. DS installed and test drive complete.

I bought the car used and the previous owner did a lot of cosmetic changes including GT500 axle backs. I suspect he did an entire GT500 exhaust because every single video I watched there was tons of space between the exhaust pipes to slip the DS in.....mine had maybe an inch between the pipes. I also saw a J&M adjustable panhard bar.

I saw blue springs, too. Is that the stock color?

Anyway, I didn't notice any mind blowing difference with the aluminum drive shaft. But from a complete standstill when I smash the pedal it now does a full burn out.....didn't do that before (it's an automatic) and then spins the tires into second gear so that's an improvement. I only did a few spirited runs up and down a long road.

There was NO WAY IN HELL I could get a torque wrench on any of the bolts....no possible way with my torque wrenches. So I just used ample locktite and tightened as much as I could. I'm hoping that is ok. The bolts are supposed to be 72 lb-ft which seems loose for such bolts.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I dropped the exhaust up by the cats. Why those bolt heads are on top is mystery to me also. Definitely a pain. When I put exhaust back I put bolt heads on the bottom. Anyhow point being I had to drop ex. and put driveshaft in from the front.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I emailed David over at Shaftmasters to see if it's ok to skip the torque and just tighten the bolts as tight as I could get with a box wrench. No room at all for my torque wrenches in there.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
David at Shaftmasters is GOING to respond that you need to torque them. Just from a liability standpoint even if he knows in his head you'll be fine without torquing. I do my DS on a lift just for this reason. You have plenty of room to work and you can get a big wrench in there no problem. **** working on your back, seriously. I know not everyone has access to a lift but there are some shops where you can rent lift time if you look around. I guess I'm spoiled with military base amenities.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well....luckily key that David is an honest and down to Earth guy. Although he did highly recommend proper torque.....He said that as long as there's even torque on each bolt and if I'm not experiencing and vibes I'll be good to go.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

The biggest problem is that you might not get them tight ENOUGH without enough leverage. It is very surprising that a company like that would say you are ok without torquing, just because that is just opening oneself up for a lawsuit. Also, how would you verify even torque without a torque wrench? Torque value is 75-90ft lbs. I would do blue locktite and set to 75 and get a wrench in there somehow. If you jack the rear up enough and use some extensions you should be able to get it in there. You could also unbolt your mufflers from the mid pipe and move them out of the way to gain room.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I used more than an ample amount of locktite. I did remove the mid pipe and muffler. See above post. I also used a mid sized breaker bar on my box wrench and I'm sure each bolt is tight....More than the documented 72 lb-ft in drive master's instruction sheet. 72 is not much.....When I first loosened the bolts they were quite easy.....surprise for such a part.

Anyways.....no vibes whatsoever, car accelerates like a beast and cruises smoothly on the freeway.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Cool beans, then don't worry about it. I was under the impression that you were just using the box wrench and that's it lol. The way the flange is does make it much easier to slip a box wrench over the bolt than getting a socket on there.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm never worried about not enough torque, but am always worried about "too much" torque. People can be brutal to bolts sometimes, especially modern stretch to yield crap that is one time use. However if you felt them coming off, then you probably have a good idea about how tight they should be.

My Dad always told me that some of the jet mechanics in the Navy had "calibrated" arms, and were cleared to torque certain fasteners without the need for a torque wrench.

One of my local mechanics, when asked by a friend what torque he used on a suspension cross member bolt, responded with "grunt" tight. He tightened until he grunted, then stopped. The car in question was an 84 Gran Fury, so we all chuckled. However I won't be bringing my mustang to this guy...
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I feel a little better now after reading this thread as I'll hopefully be tackling my own driveshaft install as son as my car passes smog (hopefully she will finally pass tomorrow)

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

You'd have to REALLY gorilla the driveshaft bolts to break them, they are pretty beefy but it can happen. I've seen so many ppl strip fasteners on various things it isn't even funny. even a cheap $20 harbor freight torque wrench is better than nothing. And suprisingly, my HF wrench has checked damn near dead nuts accurate checking against a crasftsman dial torque wrench. Its off from 1-3ft lbs, that is completely no biggie.

You guys should see the Snap On jobbers we use for seating the bearings on aircraft tires.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion