I'm done with Plastidip... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Region: Europe
I'm done with Plastidip...

As the title states, I've had it... I'm finished trying to master the art of plastidip, and am in a great debate with myself over whether I'm going to take the next step.

I am trying to eliminate all of the chrome pieces on the interior of my 2013 GT, and up to this point I have been OCD about being able to take everything back to stock. With that in mind, I've tried plastidipping the pieces on 2 occasions now, and I can't work with the stuff. All of the larger pieces have tiny bubbles that settle out after spraying, and I can't get past the perfectionist in me, so I'm on the verge of committing to just painting the pieces.

With that in mind, any suggestions out there on the best course of action for prep work on these pieces? The ones I'm most concerned about are the small accents on the knobs.

Also, anyone have any instructions for removing the small accents between the buttons on the shaker system?
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Oh thank goodness. Throw that plasti-$#!+ away. Paint it, powdercoat it, do something real. I have never been a fan of plasti-dip. It allows people to be fickle and lazy. People these days are already so afraid of commitment in any sense that something like plasti-dip just exasperates an already terrible condition.

I believe it was the conquistador Cortez that said, "burn the boats", upon landing in Mexico. There is no going back. Only forward. Commit, for better or for worse. I'm not necessarily saying we should emulate that murderous raping maniac, but his dedication to commitment is commendable.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Wow. That escalated quickly, how do you really feel?

There's a converse argument to this as well though... the non-committal approaches (i.e. vinyl, plastidip, etc.) do offer people a chance to see what a more permanent change would look like. I can definitely say I've had some ideas that didn't quite look as good on a car as they did in my mind.

In any case, I did my test, and the results are gonna be awesome, I just have to figure out the best approach now
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I also dislike plastidip greatly, for the reasons you listed. I'm a perfectionist as well and I want my paint and decals to look OEM or better.

Leave plastidip to the amateurs who can't tell between a new paint job vs. a 10 year old orange-peel'd and marred+faded paint job.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I do understand it as a valuable R&D tool. Plasti-dip is a lot cheaper than a $5,000 photo-shop program or a $2,500 custom paint job that you don't like.

The coolest thing I have seen on any forum, ever, was over on the Cadillac forums. Someone had a "I'm never going back to stock" sale. You always see back-to-stock sales in the classifieds, and it makes me sad. I am a huge proponent of committing to something and seeing it through to the end.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Plastidip will never see my paint, I don't care if it easily 'appears' to come off or not. I can't imagine what type of unseen residue it leaves behind. Not that a little polish and and clay won't take it off, but still. Not for me.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I totally get that. And I don't blame you at all. I am appalled by how popular plasti-dip is. And how many people use it on otherwise nice cars.

But most people do not look at life like I do. People buy cars with resale value in mind. People buy cars prepared to be satisfied with leaving it stock. People buy cars as if it's just another thing.

To me, I look at buying a car as a life-long commitment. When I buy a car, I plan to have it the rest of my life. There is no resale, no trade-in. I get it to make an extension of my personality. I get it to fix and modify and work on the rest of my days. I don't care if something new comes out, I take it upon myself to modify my car to include the features I want. But I seem to be alone in that mindset. Everyone else seems to just get a car to last them until their next one. And it's sad.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Not me. My stang is with me till the grave
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. $$ ain't a thing. I love my GT. Gonna dump as much money as I want into it. It won't be my last car though. When it comes time to sell if for 1/3 or 1/4 the price I bought+put into it, oh well. It was worth it.

Btw Photoshop is only like $10 a month now or something. Spend an hour messing around and you'll imagine what you can do without even leaving your computer. I'm even too lazy to pirate the full Photoshop, I use the online free version.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've had great results with Plasti-dip but after seeing a hundred cars (including a Pontiac 6000) with the same exact finish on it's wheels as my Mustang I had to get it off. Flat black looks cheap IMO. I had no major problems removing the Dip and WD40 dissolves it. It was easier to use than regular spray paint. Now I'm just using it for smaller emblems.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
Oh thank goodness. Throw that plasti-$#!+ away. Paint it, powdercoat it, do something real. I have never been a fan of plasti-dip. It allows people to be fickle and lazy. People these days are already so afraid of commitment in any sense that something like plasti-dip just exasperates an already terrible condition.

I believe it was the conquistador Cortez that said, "burn the boats", upon landing in Mexico. There is no going back. Only forward. Commit, for better or for worse. I'm not necessarily saying we should emulate that murderous raping maniac, but his dedication to commitment is commendable.

Lmao.. He is so right though. That's me, extremely afraid of any type of commitment (been with my gf for almost 5 years) ... And man do I love me some plasti dip! I have sprayed many things with zero bubbles or anything other than being smooth and neat. Try using a brand new bottle and be in an area with zero wind. I feel like it's user error or lack of prep.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Not me. My stang is with me till the grave

After you pay off daddy first right

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As you well know I used the dip to see how things look and now that it is peeling off the emblems I have dipped it is time to spray them flat black, but the people who paint plasti dip as a forever thing yes it is cheap and lazy and even if you do it to were if looks good it will end up looking like **** eventually no doubt about it

Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

When I bought my Cadillac CTS, I bought it with certain criteria in mind. I wanted a four door, six cylinder, rwd car. My choices were Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. I didn't want a Nazi-car. My choices were now Cadillac and Lexus. I love the 2jz engine, so I went to test drive a GS300. It was a immaculate, black on black, beautiful car. The dealer made a critical mistake telling me that the previous owner traded it in for a Cadillac CTS. So I bought a CTS as well.

I was single at the time, but I wanted a four door car so I already had the family car if/when I ever had a family. I bought a sporty, fast rwd family car because I like sporty and fast. I didn't go into the decision of buying a car half-cocked or on a whim. I was part of the Cadillac forums before I bought the Cadillac. I planned to own that car until I could give it to my kid(s).

Nowadays it seems kids buy cars with as much planning as putting a quarter in a gumball machine. If I don't like it, I can just get something else. There is no longer any commitment, no research, no solid decision making process, no passion. It's kind of disgusting. But that is just my opinion on the matter.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I bought my Cadillac CTS, I bought it with certain criteria in mind. I wanted a four door, six cylinder, rwd car. My choices were Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. I didn't want a Nazi-car. My choices were now Cadillac and Lexus. I love the 2jz engine, so I went to test drive a GS300. It was a immaculate, black on black, beautiful car. The dealer made a critical mistake telling me that the previous owner traded it in for a Cadillac CTS. So I bought a CTS as well.

I was single at the time, but I wanted a four door car so I already had the family car if/when I ever had a family. I bought a sporty, fast rwd family car because I like sporty and fast. I didn't go into the decision of buying a car half-cocked or on a whim. I was part of the Cadillac forums before I bought the Cadillac. I planned to own that car until I could give it to my kid(s).

Nowadays it seems kids buy cars with as much planning as putting a quarter in a gumball machine. If I don't like it, I can just get something else. There is no longer any commitment, no research, no solid decision making process, no passion. It's kind of disgusting. But that is just my opinion on the matter.

I miss the old cts there is a picture of the cts and my stang next to each other somewhere on this forum

Old 08-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Try using a brand new bottle and be in an area with zero wind. I feel like it's user error or lack of prep.
I'm with you on the user error. I see a lot of results that lack the problems I seem to be having, but this is the second volley with the stuff, and I'm in Germany where Plastidip is a precious commodity (won't ship to the EU, and they've got their own stuff here that is lower quality and runs 20 Euro a can) so I don't have the time and assets to keep practicing with it.

I've seen a hundred photoshop jobs done on cars, but until you put the paint to the part you can't honestly tell what it's going to look like.

I intended the same thing you said, Badsheep, paint the parts, give it some time to decide if I love or hate it, and then go back to factory or make it a permenant solution.

As for a constant rotation of cars, I have a question to spark the discussion... how many cars have you had, and what's the longest you've kept one? At 31, I've gone through about 10, and I can tell you that's I get about a 3 year run with a car then it's on to the next big thing. Doesn't mean I don't intend to improve the one I have, even knowing that it's a non-committal relationship.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've had two cars. First was a 1994 Chevy Beretta. FWD, 3.1L V6, wouldn't wish it on anyone, but dammit, I still had fun in it. Cost me $800, just needed something to drive. Made a cold air intake for it, deleted the catalytic converter, put an actual exhaust on it (none of that fart can cheap bull$#!+ kids use these days), cut the springs to lower it a bit, replaced the audio with Pioneer everything. I was talking to a kid I deployed with about buying his 3.8 V6/manual transmission/rear end from his V6 Camaro for a rwd conversion when we got back, but the car was stolen/impounded while I was overseas. It was going to cost more to get it out of impound than I had into the car, so I cut my loses.

Second car was my CTS. I had a piss job and I was a full time student, and maintenance on a Cadillac is expensive, so progress was slow. Cold air intake, tranny cooler, phenolic spacer, oil separating catch can. Then some b!tch in a 1996 Camry rear ended my fiance and I going 55mph and pushed my CTS's $#!+ in. Total loss. I had proven too irresponsible in too short of time and my license had been suspended before the accident. My fiance was driving me to work when it happened. Anyways, the fiance has a car, and we ended up spending the majority of the insurance money on a wonderful Christmas. So now I have no car.

With a baby on the way and a four year old princess starting school, another four door car is at the top of my list. This time I want to get the CTS-V. Still the first generation, as I like that body style the best. And I want to put the V6 bumpers on it and paint it white diamond... there were no first generation CTS-V's available in the white diamond color. And with the V6 bumpers, I would be the opposite of all the posers out there putting the V8 body parts and exhausts on their V6's... hoe often do V8 owners dress down to look like the V6? Aww, sleeper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion