Trading up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
Unhappy Trading up

Hello everyone, I don't post a whole lot on here but I've come to a mental brick wall and I need some opinions on the matter.

So I've owned my 14 v6 for about 6 months now and so far have been loving it, but there's this annoying tick in the back of my mind that says I should have shelled out for a GT.

My original reasons for getting the v6 was better mileage, insurance, regular fuel, and maintenance. But after asking around, and doing some statistics, the average difference in mpg is only about 2 mpg. Which to me is negligible. Also premium on average costs about 15-20 cents more so a full tank would be about $3 difference, which I don't think should add up too badly. I have not however determined the insurance rates for the GT yet.

Also my car come with the tech package (sync, reverse sensors) and I've grown to really enjoy those features and would prefer not to see them go if I can.

So to my main point is, I would like to trade up to a GT. I know it would have been much cheaper to buy it in the first place but that was then and this is now. I bought the car outright so I have no loans to worry about, but I know if I trade it in I will lose a substantial amount on the car.

So my question is, is there a way to trade up without losing a boatload of money? (getting them to lower the price on the GT so smaller investment, etc) or am I being too fool-hardy and should just stick with my v6?

Nobody has given me any **** about it being a v6. I get compliments all the time. It does sound quite nice, especially at 5-6k, and pick up isn't too shabby at all, but unless I'm doing something wrong, I never feel like I'm being thrown back in my seat, which I guess is something I really want to feel. Also, I love keeping my car stock so I'm not too interested in supercharging or anything.

Mileage is pretty good but due to where I live here in Maryland, there's so many stop lights and traffic I still average only 18-20 mpg. I guess that is a reason in itself not to get the GT, but I would love to take it far away on some lone twisty road.

So before I make this any longer than it needs to be, should I just stick with the v6, or should I attempt to trade up to a GT? I'll try to be as neutral about this as possible because I just want my brain to shut up about it.
jayg20769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Personally, I would never trade in a car. They will fist you without lube. I would sell the car and buy the GT. Or finance the GT while you are selling the former......When it sells put all of that dough on the GT loan and pay it off.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
1. It's hard to sell a car that's only 6 months old privately since not many people have that kind of cash on hand. And if they get a loan it benefits them to get it from a dealer with a dealer warranty for say a certified preowned.

2. If you play hardball and the dealership wants the business they will make a good deal happen. Remember knowledge is power. Get a real understanding of what the car is valued at and what you can reasonably get for the car.

3. Trading a car is helps when it comes to the taxes on the vehicle by reducing the initial cost of the purchase. Sometimes trading in benefits the buyer more than selling out right.

Good luck with your decision and future purchase.

Couple tips. Try to get someone you know to get you the x-plan pricing.
Contact ford corporate and express your interest in a new vehicle as they usually send out a $750.00 coupon. And once again research is your friend.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Have you done any kind of mods? Reason being, if u trade in you'll more than likely get screwed. You can "beef" yours up to be a lot better, but even my wifes tune only 12 v6 is ok. Now if I got rid of those ****ty 2:73's and upgraded to 3:55's that would be better.
The gt's are awesome but how much do you feel like paying out?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Keep the V6 and get your dream car and garage queen it?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #6

It's bone stock and I plan to do the same if I get the GT. There's this appeal that I just can't explain but I love stock cars. In reply to bradd, I really am not too sure what is a reasonable pay out. I only assume they'll give me around 17k on a good day, my only option would be to haggle them down on the price of the GT so that the difference is something I can bear, but I don't plan to get myself in any debt that's for sure.

I'm actually going back to the dealer to get some service done (faulty driver visor, vanity door doesn't close). I'm going to try to test the waters on a 14 manual GT they have sitting for a while on the lot. See what they might say. Yay or nay?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

No reason not to, then you'll know. You don't have to commit to anything. Although if you are staying stock you are missing out and the Coyote isn't exactly world beating in stock form. Needs a tune and a few bolt ons to wake it the hell up.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I bought a new car in the beginning of 2013. I traded that car in early this year on a Mustang GT. I took a beating on the trade in, and was by far the dumbest financial move I've made all year.

You are much closer to the GT then my previous car was. I'd keep the V6 and at least wait 1 more year. Also with the new 2015's coming out, the trade in value of your V6 is going to tank because of all the Mustang owners wanting a slice of the new car.

There are plenty of things that can be done to the V6 to improve performance and lesson the gap. Plenty of mods you can do in the mean time before you consider trading in the car on a V8.

My suggestion is to drive the car for another year, and then shop around for a lightly used 2012 to 2013 GT. Should be a much less costly swap that way if you want the V8.

Also, as for mileage. If you are averaging 18-20, then expect low to mid teens for the V8. I average 18 to 19mpg with 80% highway driving. I'm not sure what the EPA was smoking when they established the MPG for the GT, but high teens is all you can expect, and that's with highway driving! (my right foot doesn't help things either).
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you want to upgrade now would be the time to do it. Check dealers in your area and see what inventory they have left, as long as your not picky with the options you should be able to find a good deal. I was considering the same thing and recently bought a 14 V6 as well and had trade in quotes between 14 -20 k depending on the dealership.

At the end of the day I weighted the options and decided to keep my V6; since 90% of my driving is highway there was no way to pass up the 32-35 MPG I am getting on the highway. Another thing to consider is if you drive the GT the way you drive the V6 there will be more then 2 MPG's difference. I remember seeing a thread on the 5.0's MPG and most owners were getting in the 14-16 range in the city and upper teens mixed.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
you only go around once, look into it, if its feasible, and doesn't "crunch" your lifestyle.....do it
Old 09-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Thanks everyone so much for the responses. It sounds like if I want to do it, I better do it now before the 15's start showing up in my area (no dealers advetising it yet) or just keep the v6 for a while.

Mpgs were a pretty big factor as to why I got the v6 and I would like to think im pretty soft on the gas. I short shift often, usually at no more than 2.3k and my mpgs are pretty good at around 25-26 mpg. But I stop often and the highway is such a huge round about I usually dont use it on my daily commute so my mpgs settle around 19-20.

If this type of driving will get me mpgs in the low teens then I actually would prefer to keep the v6. Thanks again for the help and I think im almost done making my decision.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Get the 5dpd GT, you'll never regret the engine growl when you turn it on and run through the gears. No replacement for didplacement

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Everything from 2011 and up is a 6 speed regardless of auto or stick or v6 or v8, not 5 spd.

I just checked on Navy Federal and USAA's new car price locker and a base model leftover 2014 GT is $27k. I'd get the auto if it was me, they're faster, no potential MT-82 issues and better if one is going to be doing a lot of stopping and going like the OP says he does. The 6R80 automatic trans is effing amazing honestly.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Everything from 2011 and up is a 6 speed regardless of auto or stick or v6 or v8, not 5 spd.

I just checked on Navy Federal and USAA's new car price locker and a base model leftover 2014 GT is $27k. I'd get the auto if it was me, they're faster, no potential MT-82 issues and better if one is going to be doing a lot of stopping and going like the OP says he does. The 6R80 automatic trans is effing amazing honestly.
Actually, I'd rather stick with the manual, it's too much fun even with traffic and people stop asking me to drive it when they see numbers on the shifter or when they see that I have "2 parking brakes".

But if I recall correctly, doesn't the GT come with Tremec? Or did they really put the MT82 in a GT?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
"Everything from 2011 and up is a 6 speed regardless of auto or stick or v6 or v8, not 5 spd. "

OP said he was trading up, so that would be an 05-09 which would have a 5spd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Mt82 is in the GT, only tremec is the gt500.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep the 6060 is in the gt500. Not sure if they'll go to magnums in the next gen models.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The MT82 is in the 2015 GT, rumor is that it may even be in the SVT.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
The MT82 is in the 2015 GT, rumor is that it may even be in the SVT.

Seems like Ford is making it their trans of choice.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Seems like Ford is making it their trans of choice.

Yeah, too bad it's crappy stock.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

I know too many ppl with 5.0s and the MT-82 that are just fine. IMHO, its a combination of the godawful stock shifter and ppl who can't drive. Get a full MGW or at least the Barton bracket in there and you're good. Granted, there were SOME that had legit issues but I remember how many ppl had horrible issues with the 3650 when it came out. Now if you get someone who knows what they are doing the 3650 is probably the best basic 5 spd available for a modular including the Coyote if you were to swap one into an earlier Mustang.

With that said if I was to swap a Coyote it would be a JY pullout and a JY pullout 4R75w which is what I am going to do eventually if I keep the 98. Was going to build a Teksid but you can get low mileage Coyote pullouts for $3k if you look around. That's how much a TFS head/cam combo costs. Completely not worth it to build the modular anymore.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #22

Well, I'm going to the dealer today at 1:00 to get some warranty service done. I have no idea how to hint that I might be looking to trade up without looking desperate or anything. Anybody got any last minute pointers? Like I said before, after all the advice I'm a bit more comfortable sticking with the v6 now but if I get a good deal, why not?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno I would just be looking at any 14s on the showroom floor and if a salesman tries to talk to you mention that you were just looking at it since you have a V6 and see where it goes. Have to make it hard on them, many of them are really good so you kind of have to be a complete ******* with them as nice of a person as they might be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion