California people - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
California people

Can people from California chime in and lead me in a direction, please?

I want to upgrade my exhaust....obviously, to squeeze out more ponies/torque. As of now I have a CAI, 91 race tunes from Bama and MPT, GT500 axle backs.

I REEEAAAALLY don't want any trouble whatsoever when it comes to passing smog. When the time comes I just want to roll in and pass the smog test (Need to flash back to stock tune and reinstall OEM airbox?)

With that in mind.....what can I do as far as headers, high flow cats, etc? Me needs more power! ( wife would cut my man bag off if I spent $6000+ on a supercharger right now)
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Anything after the cats is legal as long as you have mufflers. So get a good Catback and leave the O2 sensors and the cats be. You won't even have to change your tune.

Or you could do what most do, change your midpipe to off-road (no cats) and then just swap it out the day before smog. But then you will have to change the tune.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Catbacks good for some decent numbers? Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You won't really get any horsepower gain from a Catback.

HID end all thread
Old 09-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I've been reading. So not allowed to have shorty headers in Cali?
Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #6

I think you can do shorty's with the stock midpipe. Im offroad in cali, planning to switch mid pipes when its inspection time.
NDPX47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I just recently smogged mine. I run an Offroad H pipe through the year and swap it out for smog. Have to drive 50 miles give or take for the codes to reset when you change the tune.

HID end all thread
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I invite you all to move up here to Lake County in Northern CA... It's a emissions free PARADISE!!!

No testing required except for a change ownership... EVER!!!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just realized I live in the same town as BBK......I'll stop by and confer with them to see my options.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
How do you guys survive in communist california

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
How do you guys survive in communist california

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
By living in LAKE COUNTY!!!!!

A person doesn't really "live" here though... Just survives.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Everything I hear makes me happy to live in Washington

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking to squeeeeeze out a few more ponies.......BBK shorty headers, 90 mm throttle body, high flow cats and and x-pipe. If I can total 15-20 hp and some torque I'd be happy.....wait on an MPT tune coming next week and hoping it's better than my Bama 91r.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblhelx View Post
I'm thinking to squeeeeeze out a few more ponies.......BBK shorty headers, 90 mm throttle body, high flow cats and and x-pipe. If I can total 15-20 hp and some torque I'd be happy.....wait on an MPT tune coming next week and hoping it's better than my Bama 91r.

Make sure the high flows have a CARB number. Usually high flow cats don't pass our inspections. I would say go to a near muffler shop and have then tell you what you can and can hav
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

You live in Temecula?? Me too...

BBK shorties are CARB leg also they are fine here.TB will be ok...x pipe not so much. High flow cats....
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Usually CARB legal stuff = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If i go through with my motor swap i'll most likely not be legal anymore, which means LTs and all other illegal **** lol. IDGAF

HID end all thread
Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yep....in Temecula. Except for a supercharger I'm running out of bolt on horsepower options.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Yeah that's what I've been reading. So not allowed to have shorty headers in Cali?
Because you live in commiefornia. You should move to America where they don't tell you how to live your life so much (its getting worse here, though)
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I don't have a coyote (yet) but from all my reading, shorties are a waste as the stock manifolds flow fine. Your gt500 axlebacks are also great already, just get a set of overaxle pipes and then an off-road mid pipe and swap it out a few days before emissions like everyone else.

But yes California is one of the states where longtubes are a no go unless you can find a workaround...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
But yes California is one of the states where longtubes are a no go unless you can find a workaround...
Its honestly not hard to fine one either. Just costs a lot more than your normal smog check obviously.

HID end all thread
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

California = Koreafornia

You guys even have North/south setup like korea
Nor.Korea NorCal

They are *****g dictators. Telling me what kind of exhaust I can put on my own car? Yall can suck my petcock
Old 03-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I literally don't even register my cars here in Wisconsin. Well, my first cars that I had before I turned 18 I did because my parents were in control over them. But now I just insure them (full coverage) and drive them. Never had an issue from not registering, and ive been pulled over a few times for other stuff over the past few years. I will start doing it after college, but I don't really have $200 to go piss away on something as useless as tax/registration. They get enough of my money. They used to take $300 from me EVERY WEEK when I worked at the foundry. My $1300 paychecks turned into $1000 every week because of those *** holes. And then all they do with it is piss it away, like when Hillary Clinton "lost" 30 billion god damn dollars and nobody even cared??? yeah. Guns are a much better investment than paying taxes. Screw the fed and the state.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I literally don't even register my cars here in Wisconsin. Well, my first cars that I had before I turned 18 I did because my parents were in control over them. But now I just insure them (full coverage) and drive them. Never had an issue from not registering, and ive been pulled over a few times for other stuff over the past few years. I will start doing it after college, but I don't really have $200 to go piss away on something as useless as tax/registration. They get enough of my money. They used to take $300 from me EVERY WEEK when I worked at the foundry. My $1300 paychecks turned into $1000 every week because of those *** holes. And then all they do with it is piss it away, like when Hillary Clinton "lost" 30 billion god damn dollars and nobody even cared??? yeah. Guns are a much better investment than paying taxes. Screw the fed and the state.

Registration is only $75 per year here. A lot cheaper than other states. I would never chance not registering a vehicle. Maybe our fees wouldn't even be that high if everyone paid their fair share.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its $40 per year here in NJ for passenger cars but $75 for trucks (because they can) and we have emissions every 2 years but its free and its a simple OBD2 plug in check if you are and OBD2 vehicle and a visual check of the cats. You can have the most illegal *** setup possible and as long as the tune you are running turns off all the DTCs in the computer and there is something looking like a converter on your exhaust you are G2G.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its $40 per year here in NJ for passenger cars but $75 for trucks (because they can) and we have emissions every 2 years but its free and its a simple OBD2 plug in check if you are and OBD2 vehicle and a visual check of the cats. You can have the most illegal *** setup possible and as long as the tune you are running turns off all the DTCs in the computer and there is something looking like a converter on your exhaust you are G2G.

I've heard of some states that charge people based on the age of their car. The newer, the more you pay. I thought Indiana might have been one of those states, but I could be wrong.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I've heard of some states that charge people based on the age of their car. The newer, the more you pay. I thought Indiana might have been one of those states, but I could be wrong.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

California they base registration cost on type of car and age. (Passenger cars, trucks, bikes, ect....) since mine is 13 years old it's not terrible.

HID end all thread
Old 03-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You pay more for newer cars in OK and used ones are cheap. My 2007 ran be like 62 bucks this year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

In CA, the DMV collects a property tax on vehicles so newer, more expensive, automobiles can be costly to register for the first few years.
And trucks are generally pretty expensive to register, regardless of their age. This state has a very expensive weight fee schedule based on the Gross Vehicle Weight. For instance, my 25 year old F350 ramp truck costs nearly $400 to register for the year!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yea out of the Corvette and the Mustang our truck is most expensive to register.

HID end all thread
Old 03-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #30

Region: Alabama
So since this is on emissions i would like to know if I put on LT headers and they plug into my odb port will I pass emissions that way? We only plug in here and no visual done. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Otroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otroo View Post
So since this is on emissions i would like to know if I put on LT headers and they plug into my odb port will I pass emissions that way? We only plug in here and no visual done. Thanks.

As long as you have cats and the CEL isn't on you will be fine. It's the visual that fails most people with LTs

HID end all thread
Old 03-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #32

Region: Alabama
Okay thanks.

Otroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Registration is only $75 per year here. A lot cheaper than other states. I would never chance not registering a vehicle. Maybe our fees wouldn't even be that high if everyone paid their fair share.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
haha yeah right. Registration used to be $25. They raised it because government wants to suck as much $$$ from us as possible. how in the hell does it cost them anywhere near $75 just to "register" my car in their system? All they do is type it into their system that it now belongs to me. Screw them. They are taking advantage of their power and over-charging
Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
haha yeah right. Registration used to be $25. They raised it because government wants to suck as much $$$ from us as possible. how in the hell does it cost them anywhere near $75 just to "register" my car in their system? All they do is type it into their system that it now belongs to me. Screw them. They are taking advantage of their power and over-charging

Such over-simplification. I'm sure when they raised the fees many years ago (and I have been driving since 1980) it probably helped to keep property taxes down and spread the responsibility for DOT related expenses to everyone using the roads, not just home owners. The fees pay for much more than someone typing on a keyboard. Your using our roads for free, not fair to the rest of us who are paying your way. But that's your choice, not mine. I pay enough already for all the people who believe in entitlement, what's one more.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 03-08-2015, 01:47 AM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Keep the politics talk to a zero. It always starts arguments. Which then makes threads be closed.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
california