Acknowledging other mustang drivers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

View Poll Results: How often do you gesture to another mustang owner?
Most of the time 10 55.56%
Sometimes 4 22.22%
Rarely 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Post Acknowledging other mustang drivers

Hey guys, I posted a thread on July 24th about being a first time mustang owner and decided to get a new '14 v6 vs an older GT body style. To me, a mustang is a mustang is a mustang; V6, GT, Boss, Saleen, Shelby - we all are some sort of aggregate family (not like speed bikes vs standard/harley motorcyclists who rarely acknowledge another on the road). Of course there is the rental driver or regulars that don't care about who's next to them (point A-B car), but I am talking about drivers/mustang that were either FORCED to buy a mustang (old/daily driver/all I could afford that was available) vs drivers who WANTED a mustang (Could of had a luxury car, chose Muscle). Whether it be mods, newer production, or anything else to set them apart from the standard driver versus en-mass mustangs we all see day to day on our commute. Do you acknowledge them in some way?

Whenever I see a mustang I notice based on these things driving next to me or opposite lane, I acknowledge with some sort of wave or gesture, more so to the 2005+ years. How many of you 'signal' to other mustang drivers in some way? Just a curious poll as it was that kind of 'brotherly' thing when I used to ride my suzuki and come across other bikers.

Key point being how often do you gesture to other mustangs of your similar mustang (production year/engine spec/visible mods/ etc.)
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I like to just wave some people here want to rev their engines at each other to say hi but the way I see it if you like the car talk to the guy then ask about his setup then maybe ask for some revs. Imo reving at every mustang makes you look like a slack jaw dumby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jacobdlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I very very rarely see anything but stock Mustangs during the day. While having no mods doesn't mean you don't love the car (obviously), it's a less obvious sign you're into it. If I saw a stang I thought was awesome, I'll gesture during the day (since you can't see at night). Unfortunately, I usually only see parked modded ones or see them at night.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdlaw View Post
I like to just wave some people here want to rev their engines at each other to say hi but the way I see it if you like the car talk to the guy then ask about his setup then maybe ask for some revs. Imo reving at every mustang makes you look like a slack jaw dumby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Funny you mention the revving, A 2014 RS camaro revved to me at first space intersection on the way home from work. We didnt look at eachother but pretty much knew when it hit green, it was 'on' whatever you call it. He took a launch and let back after 3 car lengths when I got back up to him after realizing he was serious. After 3 first-in-line intersections next to eachother, both our windows down, he didn't even look at me.... finally at the 4th intersection I asked across to his car, "is that the new RS?" And then conversation and acknowledgement and appreciation for eachothers cars respectfully. I was surprised how one thing changed to another, but I guess its that code of 'testing' between drivers who are ready to line up and limit their cars to prove a point.
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

I would always acknowledge other stang owners with a thumbs up or peace sign. At times they would rev at me and I rev right back at them. In the end we would all smile at each other

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
+1 ttt

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
But not this peace sign... :p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411206740379.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	166526  
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt View Post
I would always acknowledge other stang owners with a thumbs up or peace sign. At times they would rev at me and I rev right back at them. In the end we would all smile at each other

Don't you ever run into people that don't really care they're in a Mustang, and are offput by your friendliness, or have you had mostly good experiences? To some people, a car is just a car.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

My 2012 got a lot of gestures, my 2014 doesn't, is it the color? From red to blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Yokohama and Shelby's 003.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	166530  
Old 09-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'll wave at the 2005+. Most of the ones before 05(79-04) are wore out and filthy.
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'll give a thumbs up if it's a nice car, most of the mustangs around here are stock and driven by teenage girls so it's very rare for me to find a nice one
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I do for many, if they seem like they are looking my way. I'll admit, I rarely get a wave or otherwise back. I know I'm old, but I think it's more than just that. I think many drivers around here get their GRRRR on when they're driving and are not in a wavey mood lol.
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white14v6 View Post
I'll wave at the 2005+. Most of the ones before 05(79-04) are wore out and filthy.
Lol, at least you said "most". Mine is never dirty.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
There is a few maybe two or three
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
There is a few maybe two or three
Around here, there's never a 2011+ v6 that looks clean and well kept. Seems like they only buy them for the MPG. It's a shame.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
90+% of 10+v6s don't wave back. Almost all GTs, GT500s, and Roushs do. UNLESS the DB driver is wearing sunglasses, or doesn't understand how to wear a hat. They don't.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I rarely get waves from v6s or GTs. I usually only ever get acknowledgement from special models around the same year as mine.

2nd day I owned mine I was at a light and a 96-98 Cobra pulled up next to me. We chatted for a bit.

Another time I was at a left turn light with my GoPro on the car. A 99-04 V6 mustang pulled up next to me and started asking about the car (girl driving, 2 dudes passenger). They just wanted me to do something fun cause they saw the GoPro.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #18

Region: Maryland
Quote:
that's messed up... I can guarantee that day in and day out that my daily driven 02 GT is one of the cleanest you will ever see..........
teflondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondave View Post
that's messed up... I can guarantee that day in and day out that my daily driven 02 GT is one of the cleanest you will ever see..........

Here here! :beer:

Sent from my iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0, but I can't really tell the difference, so it could be iOS 7.0 :dunno:
Old 09-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had a 67 fastback come flying up behind me to catch up, and ended up catching me at a light. We drooled over each others cars, and gave a quick race to 40, before both turning our separate ways. Those types of experiences are enjoyable.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm guessing it all depends were one is. Were I live I give a wave, thumbs up, or a peace sign when I come across mustangs. This is for any and all years. Doesn't matter if they're stock or not I'm still bone stock; I don't do this for the ones that you can tell they don't care about their stang or are beat up. In the end I usually don't get a wave back, I like to think they are concentrated driving haha

Only twice did I get a wave and that was the first two weeks I got my stang.

I've traveled with my stang to San Antonio, Houston, the towns of Luling and Gonzalez. In these places I've been thrown a wave in return. I even got a thumbs up from cops in these places. Here cops follow me waiting for me to speed (happened today again) ha
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
But not this peace sign... :p

Hahaha definitely not

Old 09-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #23
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonV6 View Post
Don't you ever run into people that don't really care they're in a Mustang, and are offput by your friendliness, or have you had mostly good experiences? To some people, a car is just a car.

From my experience it's about 80% good and the other 20% didn't care. One time there was an old lady in her 60's or 70's and was driving a white 2013-14 v6. She followed behind me for a while then pulled to my side and waved at me. It's awesome to see that even at that age she acknowledges other stangs

Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From my experience it's about 80% good and the other 20% didn't care. One time there was an old lady in her 60's or 70's and was driving a white 2013-14 v6. She followed behind me for a while then pulled to my side and waved at me. It's awesome to see that even at that age she acknowledges other stangs

Yeah, I'll have to keep a closer look out. I haven't seen anyone waving or otherwise gesturing at me in the South Bay yet... Either I'm not observant or people aren't that friendly.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #25
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
I even got a thumbs up from cops in these places.

Those are the cool cops haha.

One of my friends got pulled over by California highway patrol two years ago just so he can ask questions about his 2012 GT. To me, that shows that Mustangs are more than just a car

Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #26
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonV6 View Post
Yeah, I'll have to keep a closer look out. I haven't seen anyone waving or otherwise gesturing at me in the South Bay yet... Either I'm not observant or people aren't that friendly.

I work in the South Bay but live in the East Bay. We should cruise around some time!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I work in the South Bay but live in the East Bay. We should cruise around some time!

Quite possible. Would be cool to see if there are others in the area as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion