I'm Curious How Do You Young Folks........... - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I'm currently studying mechanical engineering, so this makes me feel good for my future, haha. I agree with you.
Haha, keep your eye on the carrot man! Getting your mech. eng. degree is hard as hell, but you'll be raking it in soon. Don't know what year you're in now, but FYI, senior year is a lot more interesting than 1-3 because you get to do senior design, which can be a lot of fun if you have the right attitude about it. Good luck!
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Similar story as mine. Engineering pays great at a young age, few jobs pay as well as engineering straight out of undergrad. I also feel like some people assume it's daddy's money, if they don't know what I do for a living. But as you pointed out, indirectly it is daddy's money in a way, because our parents helped us achieve what we did in countless ways, even aside from financial support.

Hey you should look into wise investing with your newfound money. Don't put it all into a savings account. The stock market has been good to me for the past 6 years. If you don't know much about investing, there might be night courses offered at your local community college.

Of course it has been good to you, you started after it crashed and died lol. My grandpa lost over 1m when it crashed and died. He will admit he got too greedy.

Market is risky if you don't have the correct knowledge. Even then you can lose a fortune (or make a fortune) in a very short time. I feel it's a little too unstable for a younger person. There are other ways to yield mass profits with little risk.

Put 200$ a month in a Roth (starting at she 23 I believe is when we started the calculation) and you will have 1.05m by age 31.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Of course it has been good to you, you started after it crashed and died lol. My grandpa lost over 1m when it crashed and died. He will admit he got too greedy.

Market is risky if you don't have the correct knowledge. Even then you can lose a fortune (or make a fortune) in a very short time. I feel it's a little too unstable for a younger person. There are other ways to yield mass profits with little risk.

Put 200$ a month in a Roth (starting at she 23 I believe is when we started the calculation) and you will have 1.05m by age 31.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!
Yes. It is risky. I'm sorry for your grandpa and there are millions of others who lost boat loads of money in 2008 like him who had to postpone retirement... it's really sad. Play at your own risk. But I will point out that I started when I was 14 in 1998, using whatever little money I had from gifts and summer jobs. In the past 6 years the market has been really good to me, but I've been in it through the bad years too and did much better than the market, thanks to the experience I built up by starting at a young age. The higher the risk, the higher the potential reward as well. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket, and do your homework to learn how to invest wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm 28 and I love cars and driving fast more than anything else I can think of... literally.

I'll live in my car if I have to... as long as I have it. I can't REALLY afford this but I'm going to make it happen. Being an online merchant helps though.

Also, you can find a really good deal on a 5.0 right now. Previous owner of mine paid 44k after all the options, plus approx 7-8k in mods...1 year later at 10k miles I got it for well under 30k and after a few thousand on a trade it wasn't bad at all. No worse than some brand new junk that costs just over 20k. Except I have an amazing car. Less than a new civic or accord with options and a descent motor.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87 View Post
I'm 28 and I love cars and driving fast more than anything else I can think of... literally.
Same, but I'm 18
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Same, but I'm 18
Its just going to get worse over time... some people call it a sickness or reckless.. I call it the best hobby you can have.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87 View Post
Its just going to get worse over time... some people call it a sickness or reckless.. I call it the best hobby you can have.
PREACH IT! It ain't reckless if you are fully aware and prepared.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
PREACH IT! It ain't reckless if you are fully aware and prepared.
There are plenty of places in any state to go at night where you can eliminate the risk of endangering anyone. I want my human rights.. like the president jimmy carter says.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Paid For by the Parents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert03 View Post
...afford your cars?

It seems there are more youngsters in the 2005-2014 forums than others= forums where more affordable cars can be found.

I also see many posts from our hero service people about buying new stangs. My son is a Coastie and he's usually broke.

Same for "I'm going off to college and buying a stang etc".......

I must be missing something, or my 54yo bones are hardened beyond repair, but when I was going to college, getting married, buying a house, etc, back in the "dark ages" I didn't have a pot to piss in... And that was after earning a BSEE and getting my first job. Circa 1981 if you will.

Has the economy changed that much?
Are you guys somehow funneling your college loans into cars?
Beating the system?
Gifts from parents? (God bless them!)

Or, are you like I was and loving cars and sacrificing everything to own your dream car....

I'm just curious and no insults or accusations intended.
It's called being spoiled! Sure wish my mommy and daddy were alive.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to Jmustang78
I started with a 89 fox body that I bought and paid for in high school with a part time job and a loan co-signed by dad. Worked my but off fixed cars and then got a 64 (wishin I still had) I'm 35 now and I sold both of my previous cars (01 grand am and 96 Yukon) to get my 2001 stang! Loving it!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jmustang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #81
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Or maybe your lazy and don't work as hard?

I bought my 2001 Bullitt 3 days after I turned 18, and I have more money in mods than the car is worth. All paid for by myself. Oh and I go to a private college and work 30 hours a week.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Or maybe your lazy and don't work as hard?

I bought my 2001 Bullitt 3 days after I turned 18, and I have more money in mods than the car is worth. All paid for by myself. Oh and I go to a private college and work 30 hours a week.

+1 thank you Soccerluvr. If he read through the responses to the OP he would have seen that the overwhelming majority of under 30s here worked for their 'stangs.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Haha, keep your eye on the carrot man! Getting your mech. eng. degree is hard as hell, but you'll be raking it in soon. Don't know what year you're in now, but FYI, senior year is a lot more interesting than 1-3 because you get to do senior design, which can be a lot of fun if you have the right attitude about it. Good luck!
I've heard it is a challenge, I like challenges. That does sound interesting.

Quote:
Quote:
+1 thank you Soccerluvr. If he read through the responses to the OP he would have seen that the overwhelming majority of under 30s here worked for their 'stangs.
When I'm ~23-24 and hopefully out of college and on my own feet, this is who I desire to be as well. For now, if someone were to say I was driving "daddy's car," I wouldn't disagree.

Not to take offense, but I question, does that really have any significance? My grandfather gifted my father new shoes not too long ago for his birthday. Does that mean he's wearing "granddaddy's shoes?" ... Attitude in life [is greater than] material objects/social status.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #84
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I was raised to get what I wanted when I wanted, only if I could actually afford it. I never grew up wanting, both parents are engineers, but did grow up earning with chores, cutting grass, etc. Had a job since I was 14 (28 now) and worked through high school and college. Parents paid tuition, I paid the bills and lived on my own away from home. My first car was a 2001 Explorer, a gift from my parents (my younger sister and brother also received their first cars, gratis). My second car, a 2001 Grand Marquis, a gift from my grandfather just after I graduated, was helpful because the position I was in left me driving an hour one-way to work depending on where I was that week, and man that car was comfy. My third car, a 2008 Chevy Equinox, I bought from my parents for the price Cadillac offered them on trade (mom got an SRX). Finally, my new Mustang. I'm in a relatively stable position at work, just received my 5th promotion in 7 years, and I'm single with no kids. I opted for living in a gated community with rent more than 2x what my new note is and finally have a car that I feel matches the rest of my life. I did splurge and add a garage to my monthly rent to keep her safe
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not to take offense, but I question, does that really have any significance? My grandfather gifted my father new shoes not too long ago for his birthday. Does that mean he's wearing "granddaddy's shoes?" ... Attitude in life [is greater than] material objects/social status.
+1 dude don't let it affect you if anyone hassles you about driving daddy's car. No one, I repeat not a single person out of the 7+ billion people on this planet earn 100% of their keep. Everybody gets help along the way, boosts up the ladder for no reason other than dumb luck, or whatever. Doesn't have to be monetary even. Or how about the fact that you live in this country with these opportunities? Did the people here "earn" where they were born? Maybe if they emigrated to this country like my parents did, yeah they earned that, but otherwise it's just fate. So I suppose they worked "harder" than a farmer breaking his back in the rice paddies of China because the farmer lives in a hut in a village and doesn't have a Mustang.

My point is, yeah some people work harder than others and some people are lazy, but you don't really know that unless you get to know a person, not based on whether they were given a car by their parents. No one can make judgments about whether someone is "spoiled" or not without even knowing someone. And people need to be a little self-aware and humble about how they came to be in the condition they are in, and recognize and be grateful for the help they received along the way, if not from your parents, then from your neighbors, teachers, caretakers, soldiers that are protecting your country, whatever. Go live on an island in total isolation and fend for yourself, then you truly earned 100% of what you have.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Normally I only call folks who got their cars paid for by their parents spoiled, if they're ungrateful little sh*ts and trash them or want the yellow ferrari instead of the blue one type mentality.

Then there are the kids I see with cars they really probably can't handle. Such as the video of a 16 year old getting a Lamborghini Gallardo. I remember when I was a teenager, I thought I could handle any car. Now that I look back, I wonder how the hell they gave me a license lol

I damn sure wouldn't give my kid anything nice till they're out of the house and show responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 dude don't let it affect you if anyone hassles you about driving daddy's car. No one, I repeat not a single person out of the 7+ billion people on this planet earn 100% of their keep. Everybody gets help along the way, boosts up the ladder for no reason other than dumb luck, or whatever. Doesn't have to be monetary even. Or how about the fact that you live in this country with these opportunities? Did the people here "earn" where they were born? Maybe if they emigrated to this country like my parents did, yeah they earned that, but otherwise it's just fate. So I suppose they worked "harder" than a farmer breaking his back in the rice paddies of China because the farmer lives in a hut in a village and doesn't have a Mustang.

My point is, yeah some people work harder than others and some people are lazy, but you don't really know that unless you get to know a person, not based on whether they were given a car by their parents. No one can make judgments about whether someone is "spoiled" or not without even knowing someone. And people need to be a little self-aware and humble about how they came to be in the condition they are in, and recognize and be grateful for the help they received along the way, if not from your parents, then from your neighbors, teachers, caretakers, soldiers that are protecting your country, whatever. Go live on an island in total isolation and fend for yourself, then you truly earned 100% of what you have.
To the "daddy's car," it doesn't or at least hasn't affected me yet. I believe I'm a mildly modest person (although I am human, I can't say I haven't been a victim of arrogance sometimes).

Digressing, those are some very strong points, some I've never put thought into until now. At the end of the day, the phrase "One man's trash is another man's treasure," comes to mind...

Something's value is completely dependent on one's own perception. We think we may have it made with our new cars and gated neighborhoods, but down the street in a trailer home is a grandma who may value nothing more than occasional visits from her children/grandchildren and that's it (for example).

Comically, this is getting quite deep and a bit off topic.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, this got way off topic
Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Then there are the kids I see with cars they really probably can't handle.
Inexperience is the determining factor there though, not necessarily age. Adults new to performance cars are just as susceptible to high-speed accidents.

I agree though, I'm glad I wasn't allowed to have a V8 in my first car.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

I started in a 5.4 triton 06 F150, then an 09 Vibe for like half a year, then went straight to the 13 GT.

Never driven the trailblazer we have. Nor do I want to.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #91
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Inexperience is the determining factor there though, not necessarily age. Adults new to performance cars are just as susceptible to high-speed accidents.

I agree though, I'm glad I wasn't allowed to have a V8 in my first car.

Just need a slower V8 lol. In high school before I got the Mustang I drove my parents truck. Has a bigger V8 than the Mustang but puts out less power and weighs about 2.5 to 3 times as much as the Mustang. I don't even think it could do 100mph, it feels like it's going to take flight at 90mph and has zero passing power.

The Mustang (nearly stock 2v) feels like a rocket compared to it lol.

HID end all thread
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm only 21. I am in school full time working on my 2 year degree at my local community college, and am happy to say I will be receiving it this Spring!
My story of how I got my Mustang is very different than everyone else.
I grew up (and still live) in an affluent upper-middle class village on the south shore of Long Island, in Nassau County.
I went to private school my entire life, and graduated from one of the top private catholic high schools in the country. My parents paid about $7,500 a year for tuition.
I was born with a very high IQ, not tooting my own horn, but it really made school a breeze for me. I was able to get B's and never open a book or study (except for math, I HATE math). This was great when I was younger, when my classmates would be doing 3-4 hours of school work a night and I would do 30 minutes and be done. College, however, was my undoing. Being used to doing no studying or work and still getting good grades at an extremely rigorous academic high school, I had no study habits or time management skills.
I received a half scholarship to the University of Delaware (as well as Penn State, Maryland, etc.) and chose to attend there. Now, I could not show up to class with no parents making me go. That did not work out so well, nor did the constant partying, and I was home at the end of the semester.
I received a 1999 beat to s--t crown Victoria my senior year of high school. V8, roomy, super comfy. Could have been worse. It was given back to me when I came home from college.
After a month of getting my head straight, I wanted to enlist and just leave. My parents instead made me do ROTC and attend my local community college.
How did they get me to stay? They bought me a grabber blue 2012 v6 mustang that they knew I always wanted.
2 years later I am happy to say I work hard in school, with a 3.8xx GPA. I am looking at 4 year schools and I can get some good scholarship $$ at some really good schools.
I am at the end of the candidate process for NCPD, and that will be an amazing job, making 100k within 8 years.
My parents pay for my car and insurance. They also pay for gas since I am a commuter to school, but I throw in $20 a week or whenever I have some spare $ if I need gas.
I also have a serious girlfriend, so most of my spare $ goes to her.... you ALL know how expensive that can be lol. Some of you met her at the AM show, and I am lucky enough that she encourages my love for my car.
I work when I can, babysitting 3 times a week and on weekends, and doing odd jobs here and there. I am highly involved in my military service fraternity, and also do a lot of charity work and fundraising for service members. I do not have a lot of spare time. That spare time is spent working out for the police academy, working on my car, and on ME :p . I do not go out drinking or to the bars, because that is expensive. My girlfriends parents are very wealthy, and they are the nicest and most generous people in the world. They take me to sporting events, broadway plays, international trips, fancy dinners etc. almost weekly and my girlfriend and her mom always are buying me clothes, shoes, electronics, things for my car, etc.
I am very lucky to have been given a second chance. I am thankful for the position I was put in in life by my parents, and that I was given a second chance and got it right that time. I am thankful for my girlfriend and her family. I work when I can, do a lot of charity servicework, and study as hard as I can to get a great job. I think I need to become a mechanical engineer when I transfer to a 4 year school in the Spring LOL.

Yes my parents paid for my car, and I am so thankful for it.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for sharing your story, Grabber, that was an interesting read. Sounds like you did a lot of growing up in a short period of time. Good luck with the police academy!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Spoiled? There may be people that are spoiled but if you did read previous posts, doesn't look like we are. There is this 16-17 year old girl around town who has the '14 and just recently got the '15 (both modded mind you) is she spoiled? In most people's books, she is; how else can a 16-17 year old afford two recent muscle cars and modded already? I don't judge people, maybe she earned it academically, but rewarding a teenager like this, it's a no-no in my book; she just has awesome parents I guess.
In the end it feels rewarding being able to have what one has because of the work, time, and effort we put in to get what we have. And most of us here have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I'm only 21. I am in school full time working on my 2 year degree at my local community college, and am happy to say I will be receiving it this Spring!
My story of how I got my Mustang is very different than everyone else.
I grew up (and still live) in an affluent upper-middle class village on the south shore of Long Island, in Nassau County.
I went to private school my entire life, and graduated from one of the top private catholic high schools in the country. My parents paid about $7,500 a year for tuition.
I was born with a very high IQ, not tooting my own horn, but it really made school a breeze for me. I was able to get B's and never open a book or study (except for math, I HATE math). This was great when I was younger, when my classmates would be doing 3-4 hours of school work a night and I would do 30 minutes and be done. College, however, was my undoing. Being used to doing no studying or work and still getting good grades at an extremely rigorous academic high school, I had no study habits or time management skills.
I received a half scholarship to the University of Delaware (as well as Penn State, Maryland, etc.) and chose to attend there. Now, I could not show up to class with no parents making me go. That did not work out so well, nor did the constant partying, and I was home at the end of the semester.
I received a 1999 beat to s--t crown Victoria my senior year of high school. V8, roomy, super comfy. Could have been worse. It was given back to me when I came home from college.
After a month of getting my head straight, I wanted to enlist and just leave. My parents instead made me do ROTC and attend my local community college.
How did they get me to stay? They bought me a grabber blue 2012 v6 mustang that they knew I always wanted.
2 years later I am happy to say I work hard in school, with a 3.8xx GPA. I am looking at 4 year schools and I can get some good scholarship $$ at some really good schools.
I am at the end of the candidate process for NCPD, and that will be an amazing job, making 100k within 8 years.
My parents pay for my car and insurance. They also pay for gas since I am a commuter to school, but I throw in $20 a week or whenever I have some spare $ if I need gas.
I also have a serious girlfriend, so most of my spare $ goes to her.... you ALL know how expensive that can be lol. Some of you met her at the AM show, and I am lucky enough that she encourages my love for my car.
I work when I can, babysitting 3 times a week and on weekends, and doing odd jobs here and there. I am highly involved in my military service fraternity, and also do a lot of charity work and fundraising for service members. I do not have a lot of spare time. That spare time is spent working out for the police academy, working on my car, and on ME :p . I do not go out drinking or to the bars, because that is expensive. My girlfriends parents are very wealthy, and they are the nicest and most generous people in the world. They take me to sporting events, broadway plays, international trips, fancy dinners etc. almost weekly and my girlfriend and her mom always are buying me clothes, shoes, electronics, things for my car, etc.
I am very lucky to have been given a second chance. I am thankful for the position I was put in in life by my parents, and that I was given a second chance and got it right that time. I am thankful for my girlfriend and her family. I work when I can, do a lot of charity servicework, and study as hard as I can to get a great job. I think I need to become a mechanical engineer when I transfer to a 4 year school in the Spring LOL.

Yes my parents paid for my car, and I am so thankful for it.
Interesting story! Good to hear your back on track; just like you I lost track of my academics the first year I started college. But here I am on the edge of graduating already. Good luck in the academy!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey you should look into wise investing with your newfound money. Don't put it all into a savings account. The stock market has been good to me for the past 6 years. If you don't know much about investing, there might be night courses offered at your local community college.
I'm thinking about doing this myself in a year or two (teacher salary isn't the best, you know haha.) Once I get to know a bit how the investing world works I'll begin investing; like everything the market is a gamble... Maybe I should have started looking into this a few years back and maybe by now I would have had money invested but oh well lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #96
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
I'm thinking about doing this myself in a year or two (teacher salary isn't the best, you know haha.) Once I get to know a bit how the investing world works I'll begin investing; like everything the market is a gamble... Maybe I should have started looking into this a few years back and maybe by now I would have had money invested but oh well lol.

Do it. I've got money invested. I'm only 19 and I've already started my own retirement fund. Sooner you get started the more exponentially it will grow.

HID end all thread
Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Do it. I've got money invested. I'm only 19 and I've already started my own retirement fund. Sooner you get started the more exponentially it will grow.

That's cool. I'm aware the sooner the better; trust me I'll be doing it, I've been wanting to. Hopefully I'll start investing soon.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

Great thread, I worked at 15 in my dad;s warehouse Terminix till I could afford a 67 Camaro after 5 years I joined the Marine Corps, 2 years later I became an entrepreneur and never looked back. I am 55 now & semi-retired on the Texas coastal bend. My new 2014 DIB is not fully paid for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_New pier Pete 018.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	167830  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
Spoiled? There may be people that are spoiled but if you did read previous posts, doesn't look like we are. There is this 16-17 year old girl around town who has the '14 and just recently got the '15 (both modded mind you) is she spoiled? In most people's books, she is; how else can a 16-17 year old afford two recent muscle cars and modded already? I don't judge people, maybe she earned it academically, but rewarding a teenager like this, it's a no-no in my book; she just has awesome parents I guess.

I think the issue isn't when people have these kinds of things handed to them but when they think there better then everyone because of it or are ungrateful. Even buying all my cars myself since I was 16 I have never acted better then anyone because I have a nice car. And there is a big difference of being proud of your car and being arrogant and thinking your better then everyone because you have it. A while ago I remember someone on here complaining that there parents bought them a brand new car and wouldn't let them tune it. Well if you want to tune it go buy your own and then you can do as you please.

While not always the case I feel like people who have had everything handed to them are more likely to have trouble once there finally forced to be an adult if their parents ever actually cut them off and there forced in the real world. And while as parents I can understand wanting to give your kids everything, I feel a bigger gift is being a parent and teaching them how to be a responsible adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Different folks have different experiences. Some in my eyes won't understand expenses until they have to work to pay for all that hot water they're wasting. One of my wife's colleagues doesn't truly understand why we aren't in the same position they are - both of their parents paid their way through school and provided monthly stipends so they didn't have to work while in school. Now they sit in a million dollar house and pay cash for nearly everything. It's different for everyone, the sacrifices are different as well. For us, we didn't have anyone paying our way, but we FOUND a way to get us where we are. Yes the school loans are $1k per month but totally worth it. I'm retired military, but still making a sacrifice from a mandatory move did to me 3.5 years ago, paying for a house I no longer live in. Since I don't live nearby, I have to pay some fool for a house call every time something goes wrong with it, a property manager, a yard guy, a pool guy, the utility bill, etc. So take what you're spending to live where you live and double it, that's what I've been spending every month for the last 3 years. Fortunately we're in a position where we can swing it, but it sucks. Would love to just dump it but I don't wanna lose my VA certificate and want to remain in good standing creditwise. There's sacrifice, yes I earned everything I own and feel right in saying it. If you are in a position where someone is willing to help you get ahead a bit, take it. Just don't forget it, maybe someone else down the road could use a little kicker. Pay it forward.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I am 21 and have had my little 1989 Ford Mustang for 2 years. I just paid it off in the beginning of last year and was just able to afford my title a couple months ago. I had 2500 saved off and put a loan on the car for the other portion. In all after I paid off my car. I paid 10,000 for it. That's way more than what they were asking. I got screwed over cause I had no credit but hey I have a very beautiful car and get compliments on her a lot.
SexiLilFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

I just turned 20 bought my lightning when I was 19. I worked at a ford dealership changing oil and doing tires 55 hours a week for alil over minimum wage. I pay cellphone, insurance, storage, and rent. I just did nothing but work and sleep. Now I've moved on from that job to one where I work 40 hours for a few bucks more an hour and also have a second job at autozone. But my girlfriend now lives with me but she understands my love for my truck.
SVT_Mewbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

I'm 27 now, working as a senior IT engineer for a company that contracts with the US gov't--that's where the money for my '14 GT comes from. Started working in computers at 16, went to college at 17 and kept working as a student, got my first full-time IT job at 20 (working for the university, which covered my classes as a side benefit). I have the advantage of having started much earlier than most other people in my career. Got married at 23, divorced at 26, so the car was sort of a pick-me-up to myself.
sithanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithanas View Post
I'm 27 now, working as a senior IT engineer for a company that contracts with the US gov't--that's where the money for my '14 GT comes from. Started working in computers at 16, went to college at 17 and kept working as a student, got my first full-time IT job at 20 (working for the university, which covered my classes as a side benefit). I have the advantage of having started much earlier than most other people in my career. Got married at 23, divorced at 26, so the car was sort of a pick-me-up to myself.
Sounds like a good trade. That GT will always love you and make you happy.

My ex used to give me sh*t about loving my car so much and spending money it... now I'm free and very happy
Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

I'm Curious How Do You Young Folks...........

I was saving up for my first vehicle while was 14 and 15. Had about 2500.

My aunt and uncle were moving to Germany and couldn't take all there cars with them. They were proud of me, so they left me their 1999 Jeep Cherokee. It was rusty but reliable.

I used my money to put a paint job on it and I installed a 3 inch lift kit and new radio.

My jeep was my key to my lawn care business.

I refused to work with food so I made my own lawn care business. I averaged about 15$ am hour a little more than 40 hours a week.

I was the kid at school that showed up with a trailer attached full of lawn care equipment taking up multiple parking spaces. But I eventually got permission from the principle and parked in the teacher area where I was out of the way on days I had the trailer.

This lead me to saving a good bit of money.

Then my great grand parents passed away and left my grandma with some money.

She decided she was proud of me (she raised me) and as my graduation present she decided to give me 10k down payment on a car. Deal was it had to get good gas milage. If I got a truck I'd have to sell my jeep.

So I ended up getting the Mustang. I make the remaining payments every month.

After I graduated I got a job as a website developer starting at 30k 6 months outta high school.

I paid off my Mustang quickly financed a motorcycle.

And in between all this I have bought and sold a 1992 Camero RS 25th anniversary edition, a 1990 jeep Comanche, a 2001 jeep cherokee sport, a 1995 jeep grand cherokee, another 1995 jeep grand cherokee, and a 1999 Ford escort (bleh). I'd fix them up and sell them. I have been fortunate enough to make nearly double profit on each vehicle. These vehicle were without the help of anybody.

Also when my great grandparents died, no body wanted my great grandfather's boat. So i inherited it.

Right now I am 19 years old almost 20 working towards my Bachelors in Mobile Engineering.

I have had a combination of good fortune and hard work. Never in a million years did I think my grandma would insist on doing that for me. If it was not for her being such an amazing person throughout my life I don't know where I would be.

**Excuse my while go hug my grandma.
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion