Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I'm Curious How Do You Young Folks...........

15K views 230 replies 61 participants last post by  walexelect 
#1 ·
...afford your cars?

It seems there are more youngsters in the 2005-2014 forums than others= forums where more affordable cars can be found.

I also see many posts from our hero service people about buying new stangs. My son is a Coastie and he's usually broke.

Same for "I'm going off to college and buying a stang etc".......

I must be missing something, or my 54yo bones are hardened beyond repair, but when I was going to college, getting married, buying a house, etc, back in the "dark ages" I didn't have a pot to piss in... And that was after earning a BSEE and getting my first job. Circa 1981 if you will.

Has the economy changed that much?
Are you guys somehow funneling your college loans into cars?
Beating the system?
Gifts from parents? (God bless them!)

Or, are you like I was and loving cars and sacrificing everything to own your dream car....

I'm just curious and no insults or accusations intended.

See less See more
#4 ·
You're a whippersnapper!!!
lol!

I would say yes....
Let's say you finished HS at age 18... So 4 years of college would put you at 22yo.
So you are probably still living at home when you get your first job, like I did.

It's the start of your life.
Building your future, if you will.

#5 ·
18 here, had this for just over 13 months

Attachments

#9 ·
I got my first Mustang in '99 and it was a used '97 GT - my first manual! I was only 19. My parents took out the loan on the car and I paid them the monthly payment. I haven't looked back since, three Mustangs later. I'd say a lot of the young'ins have help from their parents the same way as me, but there's a handful of them that just worked their asses off to save up on their own.

#13 ·
My parents took out the loan on the car and I paid them the monthly payment. I haven't looked back since, three Mustangs later. I'd say a lot of the young'ins have help from their parents the same way as me, but there's a handful of them that just worked their asses off to save up on their own.
I would have to agree with you, lot of parents help us and other young ones work there butts off.

I'm 23 and my dad signed for and got me my 2014 mustang (it was my Christmas and early college graduation present.) He did tell me, though the mustang was my present I still was going to pay the rest off, including insurance after a 6 month period; he told me he would cover the insurance for the first 6 months (how generous he is haha.) So with the money that I had saved over the years, through jobs I had and what not, I'm paying the car and insurance...for now. I'm close to getting a job with decent pay (fingers crossed) so with whatever I'll be making there and little side jobs, I'll be paying the car off. Not to mention that in around 8 or 9 months I'll be graduating and with my future career job practically secured. :thumb:

#11 ·
Bought my first Mustang 3 days after I turned 18. 2001 Bullitt, then I got a good job in college (sophomore right now), if I would have waited until college to buy my car I'd probably have a Terminator or 11-12 5.0

Bullitts are better than Bullets

#16 ·
23. I pay every cent for my car. I never went to college but I work in IT full time. I make a decent living.

It does get annoying when people assume my parents bought my car for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#18 ·
I'm thankful that I've been blessed with a great education and wealthy upbringing that allowed me to focus on studies and not need to take loans for college because I was on scholarship. Began working as an engineer at 22, started grad school after working a year. Still on scholarship and living at home for the first few years, I saved up enough to buy a new v6 premium on A plan for $28k when I was 26. Now I have a PhD and a good salary at 29, unmarried and no kids (which I still view as a good thing lol). But God willing those things will fall in place soon too, I hope. I'm grateful for a good life so far. Grateful to my parents, my country that gives me these opportunities, the countless people who helped me along the way, and God. :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
My dad helped me with the down payment as a (very) belated (as in over-a-year belated) high school graduation present. Together we squeezed $6000. And that was every cent that I had to my name at the time, so yeah in a way I sacrificed. But I didn't care because there was nothing in the world that I wanted more than a car. Still don't regret it. Yeah, I could have bought an older used car for $6000-7000 and I'd be done paying by now but...really have you seen this car? Lol I now make the payments on a six year loan. Gas isn't bad because I drive a staggering 8 miles a day usually. I plan on paying them their money back in the future. My dad definitely tried to raise me under the "nothing in this life is free" school of thought. The good news is that my credit score is much better than most people my age.

#21 ·
I'm 29 and been here in the country for 6 years, originally from the Philippines and this is my second Mustang used to own my old baby 05 v6 stang which I loved so much and now got my 2013 v6 stang... When I first got here and just working in with low pay job since could not use my bachelor's degree and then I realized this is America a land of dreams, went back to school in a medical field and working now as a medical assistant Made descent money and respected with others.. Still continuing for something bigger in the future as a PA. Have one daughter and wife mean so much in the world. Iv been in the other side of the world and we are so blessed that we are here guys make use of it and be thankful with your family specially your parents cos when I was growing up they did not support me but instead I supported them sometimes I get jealous if I see someone that are very close with there dad's and supported them all the way through but I'm proud of myself.. Now no more drama... Go on...

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..

#24 ·
Great story, Cassidy, good for you!

Reminds me of my dad who came to the University of Illinois for college from Bangladesh when he was 19, in 1974, with $200 to his name. His first job was garbage man in the university cafeteria. He held that job for 4 years because it have him free meals in the dorms. He got a job at Ford and bought his dream car, a 1979 Mustang Cobra, the first fox body mustang. My dad's college friend tells me my dad was in love with that car. But just like you, he was supporting his struggling parents back in Bangladesh, and he sold that car after owning it for just 6 months because he needed to send money back home. My dad says he sometimes sees that car in his dreams still.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#23 ·
I drove a pink hatchback into the ground. No car in college, it stayed home because it couldn't really make it.

When they gave me $500 for it, they were being generous. 7k down payment, because growing up my parents stole my money. Christmas, birthdays, whenever I got money they would take at least half. They stopped when I was 16 or so but it helped me learn to save.

Went through school quickly, no 6 years for a BA. Worked hard, used birth control, and guess what- money! Lol.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

#28 ·
27 bought a house last year. I had jobs since I was 16. Went to college and worked 5 days a week detailing cars until I graduated. My wife and I both work to pay for what we have. But I can say I don't put much in savings right now which will hopefully change in the next year. But as its been said you can't take your money with you and I'm trying to have fun while I'm on this rock.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

#29 ·
I bought my first Mustang, a 1968 GT convertible, in high school for $2500 which my dad loaned me. I kept that car for 25 years before finally letting it go. During much of that time I didn't have a pot to piss in either, raising a family and working dead end jobs. Eventually I went to dental school and then residency in a postgraduate program. I do okay but am still paying student loans, otherwise I would have bought a Shelby instead of a GT.

#30 ·
it sounds like most folks that replied have earned their cars....props to ya!

fwiw I was 25 b4 I had a reliable car (used) and early 30's B4 my 1st new car. It got stolen 2 months after I bought it...:(

I had fun cars when I was young but not reliable ones. Now my toy $ comes from my wife. I make decent $ as a Industrial Technician but my wife is a Nurse so the real money comes from her.

#31 · (Edited)
Back in the day living with your parents past like 18 was a bad thing. Now kids take pride in it. I'm in college and can't afford a new stang.. Then again I pay bills and can't work a ton of hours due to school.

There's like 3 main things tht can contribute.

1. Parents

2. Working insane hours for their car

3. Oil field which you can prosper with basically zero education past high school.

My first car was a 99 v6 which I payed half for (cash) and now I own my 03 GT.. All mine, no help from my parents. Although it's a older car I'm proud for it to be all mine. :)

So not all kids are lucky enough to own a new stang, I am a college kid with barely a pot to piss in just like you were. I save up just enough for a mod here and there.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

#33 · (Edited)
Heres how Im dealing with this broke stage in college: When I was in high school, I lived with my parents and worked 40 hours a week between my 2 jobs for the last 2 years of school. I think I made like $30,000 in those two years and drove a ****ty ass totaled 1996 Toyota Avalon. After I graduated high school, I went and worked at a foundry for the summer and the fall until I went to school in the second semester. I worked 85 hour weeks for 6 months making $18 an hour when it was over time (pay+half). On top of that I got a scholarship for school, my parents had $2k saved up for my college, and I take out student loans ever semester. All of this while living under my parents roof and eating their food. To add to it, I decided to go to a tech school instead of a 4 year so my entire degree is going to cost all of $10,000. That's nothing for a college degree in civil engineering technology.

Another thing regarding what you said about getting married and starting your own life: I see the financial hardships of that stage coming my way, which is why I realize that I HAVE TO BUY A MUSTANG NOW OR I WONT GET ONE UNTIL I AM 40 YEARS OLD!!! Seriously, its now or never. Being in college is the easiest financial time for me until I am well established, but even at that point I will be old, will have kids, a house payment, less testosterone, and probably wont ever even get one. I cant live with that. I learned from my dad that going out of your way to have fun just doesn't work for most adults. especially if you have a wife and kids. The way I see it, my life is over in like 5 years hahaha

#34 ·
+1 live life while your young because after like 26 or 30 it's all over. That's the rule living by at age 21 lol. It's scary to think of. :(

#38 ·
Marriage and kids ruin it. We live in a different time lol. Our view of living and fun are probably different.

#39 ·
I'm 22, I've previously owned a 2000 v6, and Currently own my 2002 GT. Both bought in cash that i saved through working a minimum wage job, 65 hours a week. I Went for 2 1/2 years through a culinary arts school and graduated earlier this year. And now hold a position as a Garde Manger cook in a fine dining restaurant within a Retirement community, and also work in a sports bar within the same building.

Working a minimum wage job, and being able to afford a mustang took a lot of personal sacrifice. I pretty much just went to work, came home, slept, and went back to work, for months on end to afford it. Never really spending more than a few bucks here and there for a movie or something. Now, hopefully with more money coming in, i'll put down a big down payment on a newer GT, or just save for a low mileage Termi.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#40 ·
I'm 19. Current Mustang I drive was a gift from my family. I'm very thankful. It wasn't just handed to me, but I didn't work countless double-shifts making $10/hr for 2 years straight for it either (although I worked part-time for the past 3 years).

My father reassures me that I've earned it, but I still consider the car my dad's (besides the fact that it is under his name/legally 'his'). But of course I have my own fun in it and have done my own personalizations to it.

#55 ·
I have time and no money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.