Dirt Cheap Carb Conversion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Other
Dirt Cheap Carb Conversion

Hello guys, I have come up with another poverty inspired idea.
Lets say I personally like carburetors, and I happen to have one for next to nothing sitting at work that I could buy. A holley 4 barrel carb, that's all I know about it.

I want to try making my car run on the carb, but keep the stock intake on it and have it be totally reversible back to EFI in no time flat. That's because I live in a temperate area and don't want to tune the carb for -30 degree weather and then back to the +30 degree weather the next day

My idea is this:
1- Short out all of the fuel injectors
2- Put a PVC elbow on the end of my intake manifold instead of putting the regular intake boot on it.
3-Point the open end of the PVC elbow UP
4-Put the carburetor on top of the PVC elbow so that instead of having the intake draw air through an air filter, it draws air through the carb's venturi and then brings it into the intake manifold.
5-Connect the throttle cable stuff
6-Have a separate fuel cell with its own low pressure pump feeding the carb

I like the idea of having the ability to just re-connect the fuel injectors and put the stock intake boot back on the intake and have everything reversed back to normal within 5 minutes.
I don't care if this is not the most optimally performing setup and I probably would only run it like that every now and then for the fun of it (Its intriguing). I want to know if the ignition will still work the way I want it to or if the ECU will throw a fit about it. Would I be at risk of running it lean on some cylinders?

Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
Seems like ur ECU will not know wtf is going on...interesting theory, keep us posted

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Edelbrock makes an intake manifold for converting to Carb set up

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Faster than a speeding...............
2001 Bullitt being prepped for track duty
Corners > Straight line

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
So if I understand this correctly you would place the carburetor about where the air box is presently located?
It's an interesting idea but if you're going to have the carburetor that far away from the intake then I think that you're going to get a lot of fuel "puddling" in the intake.
Also, you'll need to figure out a way to extend the throttle cable to the carb.
And probably many more small details to be worked out!

I like the idea! If your bored and set on giving it a try, make sure to keep us posted!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion