Did you know these were Mustangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Did you know these were Mustangs?

The Zimmer Golden Spirit was built on the Fox body Mustang. I worked for Zimmer back in the 80's and ran various departments in the manufacture of this $64,000 (1984 dollars) retro-vintage-automobile.

Every body section was removed and disgarded except the doors and roof. We extended the chassis 44" and widened it by 18". At the time, Ford couldn't pass emitions requirements with the 5.0 engine mated to an auto trans, but we could. So, we'd replace the 4-speed manual with an auto transmition. The 5.0, back then, turned out a whopping 175 HP.

The remainder of the vehicle was all fiberglas that we molded in our plant (located in Pompano Beach, Florida). The interior used Recaro seats and special very expensive mouflon carpeting. The dash had real wood panels, and a Blaupunkt music system. We used real wire wheels and gold line tires. It was quite a car.

It took approximately 30 days to build one car on the production line, so we turned out one car each day. All of the Golden Spirits were sold before they were built.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'll bet every "true" Pimp in the United States was on that waiting list...

That's actually pretty neat that you worked building them!
I never knew the story about the Fox Mustang being used as a donor. I can see it now that you've pointed it out.
Do you recall approximately how many Zimmers were produced?

The coke money was really flowing in Florida during the eighties!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I remember meeting Hee Haw's Roy Clark and he sure was pimpin'. Actually, quite a few celebs bought the cars.

I'm not sure how many were built but probably four or five hundred.

At the end, Paul Zimmer hired C.R. Brown (big time Ford exec VP during the Iacoca years). He tried running Zimmer like Ford and ran the company info the ground. I thought he was a loud mouth. Didn't like him much.

They also built a car based on the Fiero after I left. The guys that worked there were true artisans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
At that price, they were the ones who could afford them!
I can just see Liberace rolling up in one!

I believe that a similar vehicle was produced here on the west coast called the Excalibur.
I think that they were cutting up new Cadillacs to manufacture those cars.

Very interesting about the Zimmer/Mustang tie though
Those photos are obviously not 80's period pictures... Did you see a couple of Zimmers recently that brought back some memories?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
That is an interesting story, even if the car was an abomination. Out of curiosity, I looked Zimmer up and they are still in business in NJ, abeit under new ownership. Their website currently lists a 2 Door Sports Coupe that can be had in any color for the paltry sum of $218,700. Look closely and you'll see the donor car appears to be a S-95 Mustang. This car is the literal definition of the word Fugly:

Old 10-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not familiar with the new builder. He bought the rights years ago. The original Golden Spirt was built by the Zimmer family. They also built conversion vans, motorhomes, and trailers. In the early 80's it was a pretty big and successful company on the stock market. Paul Zimmer was the owner and Chairman. Bob Zimmer was in charge of the motorcar division. Bob was a good guy to work for.

PS, we also built a limo that we cut in half, stretched, and welded back together. It was a hundred grand in 1984.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion