Mustang reliability - better info - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
Mustang reliability - better info

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've had good participation by Mustang owners, with over 800 signed up. But we could provide more complete and precise stats with more owners involved. Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Mustang, for free. I'll share results for the Mustang in this thread after each update.

Join TrueDelta
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Our current stats for the Mustang, based on owner experiences through June 30, 2014.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2014 Mustang: 19, low
2013 Mustang: 24, low
2012 Mustang: 43, moderate
2011 Mustang automatic: 23, low, small sample size
2011 Mustang manual: 33, low
2010 Mustang: 25, low
2008 Mustang: 5, low
2007 Mustang: 25, low
2006 Mustang: 23, low
2005 Mustang: 17, low, small sample size
2003 Mustang: 21, low, very small sample size
2001 Mustang: 114, moderate, very small sample size

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2013 Mustang: 82, < 1
2012 Mustang: 68, < 1
2011 Mustang manual: 76, < 1
2010 Mustang: 77, < 1
2007 Mustang: 76, < 1
2006 Mustang: 80, < 1

Overall, quite good.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'll back this guy as I'm in the surveys...No spam easy-peasy to give the info.

Hey, I was gonna email ya this suggestion:

How about giving us a chance to fill out in the months where we have no problems a space where we can fill out comments on the car. When we have problems we are given a paragraph to try and explain the problem. The same would be nice when we didn't have a reportable problem to either ***** or praise the car.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mustang to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2014 Mustang: 5, low
2013 Mustang: 23, low
2012 Mustang: 52, moderate
2011 Mustang automatic: 32, low, small sample size
2011 Mustang manual: 26, low
2010 Mustang: 30, low
2008 Mustang: 10, low
2007 Mustang: 25, low
2006 Mustang: 16, low
2005 Mustang: 17, low, small sample size
2003 Mustang: 21, low, very small sample size

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2013 Mustang: 77, < 1
2012 Mustang: 63, 3
2011 Mustang manual: 78, < 1
2010 Mustang: 77, < 1
2007 Mustang: 75, < 1

Additional participants always helpful (especially if you see "small sample size" next to the year, or no stat at all).

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

Ford Mustang reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Cliff's notes:

-Anything latemodel is going to have a very reliable driveline except there are some issues with the 5R55 transmissions on 05-10 autos.

-There is a special fill adapter for $15 for said 5R55 transmissions and doing a drain/fill on the "sealed" transmissions every 20-30k miles is said to vastly increase service life.

-The rest of the car is a typical Ford but no real major issues

-Basic routine maintenance and she should go 150k+ no problem.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

I've heard of problems with those manual transmissions, but there aren't enough reports through our structured survey to make much of a difference in the overall repair frequencies we report.

In other words, I don't think the problems with these transmissions are as common as comments on forums with thousands of members might suggest. Active forums often make problems seem more common than they actually are.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'll back this guy as I'm in the surveys...No spam easy-peasy to give the info.

Hey, I was gonna email ya this suggestion:

How about giving us a chance to fill out in the months where we have no problems a space where we can fill out comments on the car. When we have problems we are given a paragraph to try and explain the problem. The same would be nice when we didn't have a reportable problem to either ***** or praise the car.
Sorry I missed this earlier. Thanks for putting a good word in.

We do have a review area of the site where people can report what they like and don't like about their cars. If you haven't already, I hope you'll post a review there.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My 2014 Mustang has been the most unreliable piece of **** that I have ever owned. I will never buy another Ford product again.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #9

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
My 2014 Mustang has been the most unreliable piece of **** that I have ever owned. I will never buy another Ford product again.
What problems have you experienced with it? is it an auto or a manual?
crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
What problems have you experienced with it? is it an auto or a manual?
It's a 2014 with the 3.7 and MT82 (manual) that just this week turned 20,000 miles.

Just a quick run down of most the issues I have experienced..

I have had issues with my clutch pedal sticking to the floor at high RPMs and the various other MT82 issues (grinding, issues going into gear, popping out of gear), a magnitude of other quality issues ranging from the shaker audio display developing cracks (which Ford won't fix, it looks like it froze and cracked but this happened last summer), music being played from USB will just freeze requiring the car to be off (turn off key, open door, turn back on), cruise control randomly not working (I can have it set at 60 and then the cruise control will just shut itself off and stop working from that point on, only way to fix is by turning the car off and then back on) or accelerating on it's own, past the speed it's set to, again set it for 60, car will drive 60 MPH for miles then accelerate to 85 MPH with no inputs. Tapping the brakes will generally stop it from accelerating but not always *the brakes will easily over power the engine, also it's a manual and I can just push in the clutch and the engine will spin up to 5500 rpm. I have to turn the car off and back on to fix this*. Loud pops coming from the rear suspension under hard acceleration or cornering (as in it sounds like the rear end explodes, it is absolutely violent when this happens, enough that I generally have to readjust my rear view mirror). Windows not rolling down when opening a door or just not rolling down at all. Onto the more recent issues ... traction control, stability control and ABS all failing and just a few days ago, I couldn't leave for work because I couldn't put the car in gear. Given it was cold out (-12F), I pushed the clutch in to start the car, clutch pedal stayed on the floor, I pulled the clutch pedal back out and let the car idle for about 10 minutes, came back out and couldn't get the car to go into any gear, even trying to force it, it wasn't having it. The car idled for 20 minutes before I could slam and I do mean SLAM the car into gear. After running it through the gears, all was back to normal.

I'm not going to even bring up the ever increasing pops, rattles, chirps and squeaks that have developed. The issues have been bad enough, that I tried to get Ford to buy my car back (on several occasions), they of course refused...

For the record, the car has just over 20,000 miles on it and has been in for service to fix these issues 19 times to date. That is more than once per month of ownership (I've owned the car for 18 months and the dealerships have had it for nearly 1.5 of those months) and apparently Ford corporate thinks this is acceptable...

It doesn't qualify under lemon law because for one, they haven't ever attempted to fix most of the issues (transmission/clutch related and it functions within spec or has no issues when they check it) and two, most of the issues have no affect on other issues: The clutch issues have nothing to do with the stereo and the stereo has nothing to do with the rear end and the rear end has nothing to do with the cruise control, etc...

Also, I am not someone to hold grudges, especially against large companies. However, this has ticked me off enough that I sold off all of my shares in Ford stock.

Nothing and I mean nothing will get me to buy another Ford, ever.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
I've heard of problems with those manual transmissions, but there aren't enough reports through our structured survey to make much of a difference in the overall repair frequencies we report.

In other words, I don't think the problems with these transmissions are as common as comments on forums with thousands of members might suggest. Active forums often make problems seem more common than they actually are.
1999-2000 5 speeds were great. The onlything on my car that has not broken lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Cliff's notes:

-Anything latemodel is going to have a very reliable driveline except there are some issues with the 5R55 transmissions on 05-10 autos.

-There is a special fill adapter for $15 for said 5R55 transmissions and doing a drain/fill on the "sealed" transmissions every 20-30k miles is said to vastly increase service life.

-The rest of the car is a typical Ford but no real major issues

-Basic routine maintenance and she should go 150k+ no problem.
I think it really depends on how they are being driven. like 50% of reliability is related to that.

You see, the 4.6 mustang for example, rarely lasts over 200k in any sort of daily driver form. However, I rode in a 4.6L taxi cab crown vic that had 450k and gets driven 24/7...

Mustangs get piss pounded and that's why they don't last worth a damn. Any car that has 150k on the upper limit of its lifespan is inferior as a street car. Unless you are drag racing it for 150k like most mustang guys are apt to do. 150k of getting flogged all day is decent reliability
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

That's an unusually long list of issues, for any car. And the cruise control issue is freaky. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the cruise in the Mustang?
Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
That's an unusually long list of issues, for any car. And the cruise control issue is freaky. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the cruise in the Mustang?
Mustangs are the most reliable performance car you can get. Especially the SN-95 new edge GT manuals. 1999-2004 mustangs are very simple cars that have very minimal issues.

If you want a car that you never ever do any maintainence on, then get a car that was designed for people who don't care about cars. Like Toyota tercel or corolla or Avalon or something like that.

If you want a performance car, rwd, manual transmission, good handling, V8 engine, fun to drive. Then you cant beat a mustang as far as cost of ownership goes. Compared to a BMW 3 series or a mercedez and especially a Subaru WRX. THey are cheap as **** to fix and they don't even break down that much.

Those "reliability" issues you heard from the guy with the 2014 mustang are all things that happen in every single brand new car there is these days. They all have 10 billion little gadgets that are always breaking. 1999-2004 stangs don't have that lame **** that's always throwing fits.

And even when they do break down, they are the cheapest damn cars to fix in this performance category. LIke, I just replaced an engine in my mustang GT for $400 all said and done. You kidding me?? My girlfriend's dad just replaced a fuel pump in his truck for $1200 all said and done.... Mustangs a cheap *** car to fix and they rarely even break. Only reason I replaced my engine was because it ran without oil for like 100 miles one day. It still fired right up every single time first crank before I pulled it out. I just replaced it for peace of mind realliy.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

One thing I do like about the SN95 cars, there are a metric assload of them that were sold in the 90s and parts are everywhere and the car is EASY to work on. They are def reliable, the interiors are surprisingly durable and there were only a few known big issues like the PI intakes cracking and just other stuff like being a 1978 design and having all the issues with such an old chassis. They are cheap though.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One thing I do like about the SN95 cars, there are a metric assload of them that were sold in the 90s and parts are everywhere and the car is EASY to work on. They are def reliable, the interiors are surprisingly durable and there were only a few known big issues like the PI intakes cracking and just other stuff like being a 1978 design and having all the issues with such an old chassis. They are cheap though.
kinda thought only the NPI cars had intake cracking issues. The intake onmy 96 grand marquis cracked once, but none of my PI 4.6 engines have had the cracking
Old 03-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

No, it was the 99/00 cars that had the big issues. NPI crossovers were metal, Ford went to plastic coolant crossovers for the PI probably to save money and they started blowing up like Biggie and Pac in the mid 90s.

It was a big enough issue that Ford redesigned the intakes for 01 to have the metal crossovers again. That being said... they ALL eventually warp under the tstat housing where the plastic is very thin, just a matter of time.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, it was the 99/00 cars that had the big issues. NPI crossovers were metal, Ford went to plastic coolant crossovers for the PI probably to save money and they started blowing up like Biggie and Pac in the mid 90s.

It was a big enough issue that Ford redesigned the intakes for 01 to have the metal crossovers again. That being said... they ALL eventually warp under the tstat housing where the plastic is very thin, just a matter of time.
Oh I didn't know that they ever made a PI intake with a plastic cross over. My 99 has an ali one. Must have been converted before I got the car then, but yeah I know they used plastic on the panther platform cars when the first got the 4.6.

1996-2001 vics and marquis and town cars all had that ****ty plastic intake. It wasn't even a good plastic, either. It was like the cheapest ****. like a resin or something. MIne was all crumbly and what not. Intakes should always be 100% aluminum imo. Even my bro's Toyota Avalon is bone stock with an ali intake lol
Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #19

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mustang to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015.

2015 Mustang: 16, low
2014 Mustang: 11, low
2013 Mustang: 40, moderate
2012 Mustang: 24, low
2011 Mustang automatic: 32, low, small sample size
2011 Mustang manual: 15, low
2010 Mustang: 33, low
2008 Mustang: 25, low
2007 Mustang: 42, low
2006 Mustang: 41, low
2005 Mustang: 39, low, small sample size
2003 Mustang: 11, low, very small sample size

2014 Mustang: 90, < 1
2013 Mustang: 70, < 1
2012 Mustang: 82, < 1
2008 Mustang: 78, < 1
2007 Mustang: 69, < 1

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Ford Mustang reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 02-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The transmission issues are actually usability issues that can be ovecome with either very careful driving OR spending $250 to convert it into a solid mount. ( Blowfish racing bracket ) Mechanically, it is tough as nails as it's basically yanked right out of a F150 and modified a little bit.

There's also reason mine is a base model without Sync. For $20K, I fully expect a few gremins. And I fully expect it to also whomp on 90% of the other cars out there for that price

Compared to the junk Ford was making 10 years ago, the new Mustangs are fantastic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The transmission issues are actually usability issues that can be ovecome with either very careful driving OR spending $250 to convert it into a solid mount. ( Blowfish racing bracket ) Mechanically, it is tough as nails as it's basically yanked right out of a F150 and modified a little bit.

There's also reason mine is a base model without Sync. For $20K, I fully expect a few gremins. And I fully expect it to also whomp on 90% of the other cars out there for that price

Compared to the junk Ford was making 10 years ago, the new Mustangs are fantastic.
There are a LOT more known issues than the MT82 than just the shifter... And it is way way more than $250 for a Blowfish bracket and an aftermarket shifter. And the MGW shifter is a much better solution anyway but I digress...

Also not sure where you were 10 years ago but Ford was far along from making "junk" vehicles. All the Mustangs were EXTREMELY reliable from the mid 90s and the rest of the cars and trucks caught up in the early 2000s. My 2003 Expedition still runs and drives damn nar like new at 140k and everything works 100% just as an example.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Really just depends if the car has been taken care of. My 98 GT had 194k miles before selling and had zero problems and zero leaks. Bought a 2000 GT with 77k miles and had every leak in the world and ran like dog crap. Then my current GT with 104k miles had plugs blew out due to previous owner already had heli coiled it. All and all just depends if the owner wants to take care of their vehicle or not.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #23

I just wanted to make clear, in case it isn't, that a "low" repair frequency is what most people prefer (the exceptions being professional mechanics).

As for maintenance, the older the cars get, the more it matters. This is one reason we go back a maximum of 15 years, and I'm not sure we should go back that far, though people often ask us to.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion