My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
you would think someone would be 2 embarrassed to trade a car in looking like that
Seriously, you'd think you'd at least get the tampons off the seat or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Couple people raised concerns that I also had regarding trade-in value.

Bottom line is this. They did not force her to make the trade. I've personally had a dealer offer me $750 for a car I ended up selling for $3500. Does that mean the dealership was trying to screw me? No, it means they did not want my trade-in and low balled the **** out of me. Was I offended? Absolutely not. The only idiot would have been me for taking the trade.

The fact that the dealership was going to GIVE this women $5k for that mustang is just stupid. Look at the car, it was disgusting. The quote of $600 from the detailer was too low, the amount of work required, that's a $1k detail minimum due to the mold and other health concerns. Personally I would have used an Ozone machine to sterilize the interior of that car prior to and after cleaning. Actually OP...that might not be a bad idea if you can find one locally.

Kuddos to the OP for offering 1k on the trade and still making the deal. Kuddos to your management for letting you make this arrangement. On the surface I can see how people would think this is shady, but in this day and age, if anyone is too lazy to lookup a fair trade in value for their vehicle PRIOR to trading it in, then shame on them when they take an offer that's way below book.
Thanks for understanding. My manager actually said $5k before looking in the car.

I got some stuff put back together today. I need some help though. This is my center console before cleaning it, and after. No difference. I don't know what this discoloration is or how to get it to go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416190430321.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	169811   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416190466074.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	169813  

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 Thread:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t361292/
austinkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Got some more work done yesterday.

Putting the carpet in for now, but it'll probably have to come back out so I can get the insulation in later.

Figured it'd be a good opportunity to wash the brackets and stuff on the seats while they were out.

In retrospect, I'm going to need to find a way to hold this down with some velcro or something, because slicing it with a razor blade wasn't the best idea I've ever had. You can see that the carpet is sliding out and getting in the way of my foot, so I'm def going to need to figure something out.

Had some trouble with the center console. Before I wash it, it looks like this.

Then I scrub it and put interior shiny cleaner stuff on it and it still looks like this.

So I left it out of the car for now, thinking I'm just going to repaint it.

Remember how I took that piece out to sand and paint for the center of the dash and how it was disgustingly dirty?

Well since I still haven't sanded and painted that piece I took this opportunity to clean that as well.

The armrest area in the back was pretty dirty. Figured I'd get that clean before I get the seats back in.

Then I moved on to the shifter. The top cover on it was broken.

So two little dabs of super glue...

And while the super glue dries, I decided to clean out the trunk. Remember all the trash that was in it in the first post? I just knew it was gonna be nasty under the carpet as well. But surprisingly it wasn't THAT bad. Just covered in dirt.

So I sprayed it down with cleaner, took a brush to it, hosed it out and drained it. And it was just fine.

Put the rear seats back in.

Went ahead and cleaned off the door sill plates. I'll probably give them to my wife as her have a lot more scuffs on them.

Now let's see if the super glue on the shifter cover held:

Yep!

I did not think about one thing though, no cup holders for my coffee on the way to work this morning though.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Wow, subbed! Thing is coming along great. Seeing the before pictures, about the only thing that looked like it would have cleaned out that interior is lighting it on fire lol.

The main question is, how does it run/shift? $1300 and a ****load of elbow grease is not bad if the interior cleans up like its looking it will and the exterior looked ok from the pics.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Did you wash the panties yet?
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
LOL!

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Wonder how long it'll be until he finds the expired suppositories.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Wow, subbed! Thing is coming along great. Seeing the before pictures, about the only thing that looked like it would have cleaned out that interior is lighting it on fire lol.

The main question is, how does it run/shift? $1300 and a ****load of elbow grease is not bad if the interior cleans up like its looking it will and the exterior looked ok from the pics.
It runs and shifts great. I haven't really tried to get on it hard yet because it's had a spare tire on it since I bought it. The oil wasn't even gross. And changed regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
using gloves and a face mask they were tossed straight into the dumpster.

Quote:
Wonder how long it'll be until he finds the expired suppositories.
:puke:

I was able to get tires onto it today and get the spare wheel off. My buddy was nice enough to give me some tires, they fit the wheels but had a 55 wall instead of 65 so I put the two 55's on the front and left the 65's on the back.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, poor man's bigs/littles. I think it looks good like that and you can't beat free. I feel bad for the 18 yr old high schooler at "Mighty Auto Parts" that had to do the oil though. Honestly I'm sure she was refused any maintenance at a few places, I showed my father in law (master Honda tech) a few pics from this thread and he's like "yeah that happens more often than you think, we just refuse to do any work on the vehicle". God ppl are pigs... my Expy is a mess because we just moved but its not dirty its just a lot of **** leftover from the move and clutter that I am cleanign up as we finalize our move in.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol, poor man's bigs/littles. I think it looks good like that and you can't beat free. I feel bad for the 18 yr old high schooler at "Mighty Auto Parts" that had to do the oil though. Honestly I'm sure she was refused any maintenance at a few places, I showed my father in law (master Honda tech) a few pics from this thread and he's like "yeah that happens more often than you think, we just refuse to do any work on the vehicle". God ppl are pigs... my Expy is a mess because we just moved but its not dirty its just a lot of **** leftover from the move and clutter that I am cleanign up as we finalize our move in.
Congrats on your move. My techs here actually said they rarely see a car close to this bad, though I have seen some worse here and there. And yea I've seen places refuse service before. I remember my maintenance guy when I lived in a very nice apartment complex telling me stories. I always imagined that being an expensive upscale apartment, people would be neat and clean. He said that was def not the case as he'd get calls to fix a toilet, and he'd have to tell them that it was unsannitary and they had to clean it before he could do any work. I imagine this girl's house looks like that.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

That girl's house probably looks like something from Hoarders. And having been through military basic training and having flatmates and going through dorm room inspections now as a supervisor... There are some NASTY ****ers out there...

But anyway very glad to see this nice save. If you want a decent DD that's still a Mustang for cheap you can't beat the early S197 V6s. They're slow but they are pretty reliable. I'd just make sure to do a drain/fill on the trans and converter. The 5R transmissions are known for having issues where some of the internal materials come apart and float around inside the trans and booger it up. Routine flushes help (not power flushes) but just FYI. Might not ever be a problem, hopefully not.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #46
Bko

Awsome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Somebody on another forum suggested a good way to restore the plastic I was having trouble with. I went ahead and got a heat gun from my detail department and it came out pretty good.

You'll recall that this is what it looked like before.

So we got to work with a heat gun.

You can see where we've done and haven't done.

All done with the heat gun.

Then I shined it up and compared to the original pic...

Before & After

Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I honestly laughed for about 5 minutes at how gross this car was. Great job cleaning it up. When I detailed cars I had seen some bad stuff and boy did we charge accordingly.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #49
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I see you found the t-handle for the shifter haha
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
I see you found the t-handle for the shifter haha
I did. It was in a different tool box that I had left in the trunk. Don't remember ever putting it in there, but at least I found it.

I do currently have another issue, when it turned 26 degrees out, the super glue I used for the shifter cover cracked. I tried using gorilla glue instead, but that also won't hold in this weather.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm... maybe see about taking a soldering iron to the plastic and melting it together? Might look like poo tho...

Car is still coming along great though. Only thing you really can't do is get all those years of that nasty pig farting in your seat foams gone... unless you replace the foams I guess...

edit: What about Testor's modeling glue? I used to use that all the time when I was a kid to build plastic model airplanes. It actually chemically bonds the plastic to itself, sort of melts the surface layer of plastics together so you only need a little bit of it.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

seriously, how can someone drive a car in that condition. I can't help but imagine her house.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm... maybe see about taking a soldering iron to the plastic and melting it together? Might look like poo tho...

Car is still coming along great though. Only thing you really can't do is get all those years of that nasty pig farting in your seat foams gone... unless you replace the foams I guess...

edit: What about Testor's modeling glue? I used to use that all the time when I was a kid to build plastic model airplanes. It actually chemically bonds the plastic to itself, sort of melts the surface layer of plastics together so you only need a little bit of it.

Good call, now I just need to get the super glue and gorilla glue off. I'll probably try this next, and save the other for later. I'm not too concerned with how that part looks.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
Good call, now I just need to get the super glue and gorilla glue off. I'll probably try this next, and save the other for later. I'm not too concerned with how that part looks.
Sorry but that will not work. The Testors glue is for polystyrene and the car parts are ABS. There are good glues that will work on ABS. Go to your local hobby shop and pick up some liquid ABS glue. It will work great.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
My 2005 Mustang for $1,300

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416416946.667287.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	169944Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416416972.076201.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	763.7 KB
ID:	169945
Use one of these.
The two part epoxy works great, its clear, and u can get it at autozone.
The quicksteel is a two part putty, i use it if i need to build up material, it works better than jb weld and works on plastic as well. I get it at lowes. Its my favorite, its actually holding my dash in place in my bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
Attachment 169944Attachment 169945
Use one of these.
The two part epoxy works great, its clear, and u can get it at autozone.
The quicksteel is a two part putty, i use it if i need to build up material, it works better than jb weld and works on plastic as well. I get it at lowes.
While these may work, they are viscous topical agents that stick the surfaces together (like solder on brass). The liquid ABS cement will flow into the crack through capillary action and hide. It will soften the plastic to where you can squeeze it together and actually weld it. It can be trimmed off when dry and hardly leave a trace of the broken spot.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Sorry but that will not work. The Testors glue is for polystyrene and the car parts are ABS. There are good glues that will work on ABS. Go to your local hobby shop and pick up some liquid ABS glue. It will work great.
Damn, was not aware of that. I was also not aware that there is a specific liquid ABS cement. I need to hang out on the detailing forums some more, there is crazy **** used to restore/detail that I've never even heard of. I've seen some before/after shots of interiors where I just assumed they replaced stuff but I bet in most cases it was just cleaned up really well.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
While these may work, they are viscous topical agents that stick the surfaces together (like solder on brass). The liquid ABS cement will flow into the crack through capillary action and hide. It will soften the plastic to where you can squeeze it together and actually weld it. It can be trimmed off when dry and hardly leave a trace of the broken spot.
Quote:
Damn, was not aware of that. I was also not aware that there is a specific liquid ABS cement. I need to hang out on the detailing forums some more, there is crazy **** used to restore/detail that I've never even heard of. I've seen some before/after shots of interiors where I just assumed they replaced stuff but I bet in most cases it was just cleaned up really well.
For now I bought a soldering iron and I think I'm going to try soldering it back together. Going to practice on some other pieces first.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
This knowledge didn't come from detailing but rather from building plastic models for over fifty years. You should see me with an airbrush...
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

I tried airbrusing some Games Workshop stuff once. Yes that is almost the nerdiest thing you can do. It was an utter roflfail. I just drybrushed from there on out and only tried any detail work with command models. I did pretty OK on my Generals though.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Heating up, I guess we'll find out if this idea will work or not soon enough.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
There is a welding kit specifically for plastics on Amazon, has good reviews. I can't vouch for it personally though.

Urethane Supply Company Mini-Weld Model 6 Airless Plastic Welder 5600HT

It says Urethane, but that's just the company name. It's for all sorts of plastics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Got a little bit of work done yesterday. Now I'd just like to say that I am absolutely TERRIBLE at spray painting anything. This time was no exception, but it came out acceptable. If you're wondering why I was painting, you may remember this stuff on the dash face plate.

Me sanding down the face plate for the dash.

All taped up and ready to paint.

First coat of paint.

And to be honest you really shouldn't work on a car without alcohol.

While the first coat of paint is drying up a bit, I figured I'd replace the antenna on my car. Not sure why it's so bent.

Fortunately my wife put a shorty antenna on her car a few months ago and we still have her antenna.

Much better.

Again, I'm terrible at painting so I know it didn't come out great, but it's better than it was.

Time to finish getting it all back together now.

Since that super glue holding the shifter cover broke in this cold weather, I decided to use something that wouldn't break. Got some JB Weld on it.

Then I sanded back down the silver trim that I ruined trying to get the shifter cover out.

Came out ok.

Car is pretty much back together for now.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #64
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

[QUOTE=austinkli;2128123]...Fortunately my wife put a shorty antenna on her car a few months ago and we still have her antenna.[QUOTE]

You can make your own shorty for real cheap. Cut your antenna to what ever length you want using a hack saw or a cut-off wheel. Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a vacuum tube cap (about 50 cents) to fit and, voila! You just saved about $25.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

My god i wish i could find a fixerupper like and the opportunity to pay 1k for it. The struggle.

my sisters old camry was pretty bad, but not nearly that gross. no underwear or tampons, thank god. just old french fries, stains, and junk all over the place. And some cigarette ash and burns that i have no idea how the hell my parents were so oblivious to....
Old 11-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
My god i wish i could find a fixerupper like and the opportunity to pay 1k for it. The struggle.

my sisters old camry was pretty bad, but not nearly that gross. no underwear or tampons, thank god. just old french fries, stains, and junk all over the place. And some cigarette ash and burns that i have no idea how the hell my parents were so oblivious to....
It's not hard to do on craigslist. You gotta find somebody that drove it as a car, not as a mustang. We are car guys, so to us the Mustang has value. To a large number of people, it's just a hunk of metal to get them from point A to point B. You just point at the things that are wrong with it like a dent here, tore up leather there, they start devaluing it themselves. Then you make them an offer you feel comfortable with. For this one, I was comfortable with $1,000 for it. I understand it has a book value of $5k, but based on the amount of effort I knew I'd have to put in, I was comfortable with as much as $1,500. I offered the girl $1,000 and she was happy to let it go for that.

Seriously, look for the old beaters that still run on craigslist. If you don't mind putting in the effort, it's worth it.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=bigmac3;2128129][QUOTE=austinkli;2128123]...Fortunately my wife put a shorty antenna on her car a few months ago and we still have her antenna.
Quote:

You can make your own shorty for real cheap. Cut your antenna to what ever length you want using a hack saw or a cut-off wheel. Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a vacuum tube cap (about 50 cents) to fit and, voila! You just saved about $25.
Hey good idea. Thanks for that. I am going to do exactly that I think.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
It's not hard to do on craigslist. You gotta find somebody that drove it as a car, not as a mustang. We are car guys, so to us the Mustang has value. To a large number of people, it's just a hunk of metal to get them from point A to point B. You just point at the things that are wrong with it like a dent here, tore up leather there, they start devaluing it themselves. Then you make them an offer you feel comfortable with. For this one, I was comfortable with $1,000 for it. I understand it has a book value of $5k, but based on the amount of effort I knew I'd have to put in, I was comfortable with as much as $1,500. I offered the girl $1,000 and she was happy to let it go for that.

Seriously, look for the old beaters that still run on craigslist. If you don't mind putting in the effort, it's worth it.
Yea, not so many mustangs around here. There were plenty in the Orlando area. But for some reason, people want waaay too much for em. i was lucky to grab mine for 5k when i got it. But yea, I would totally put that kinda work in. Something about cleaning it out like that just makes me appreciate a car even more.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It wasn't that bad! Lmao. Wow that's just disgusting..poor car man thank u for rescuing it!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
It may have been mentioned already or not, but how's the exterior paint and plastics looking?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2005 mustang