My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
It may have been mentioned already or not, but how's the exterior paint and plastics looking?
Rough. Both bumpers either need replaced or some extreme help. Front bumper is missing the grill. The plastics like the side skirts need replaced or painted. Mirrors are extremely faded, but with done back to black they might live. The entire roof has some dents in it. Above the rear passenger window there are two dents it'll need a body shop for. Then the rear drivers side fender was scraped against something. My body guy told me the body line can't be saved without a body shop. I think that's it. There may be some things I'm forgetting.

Because of the silver color, it's hard to make out all the issues in pictures. It looks much better in the pics than it does in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141121_145239.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	170024   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141121_145250.jpg
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	170025  

Name:	20141121_145300.jpg
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	170026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141121_145315.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	170027  

Name:	20141121_145323.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	170028   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141121_145338.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	851.8 KB
ID:	170029  

Name:	20141121_145407_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	170030  

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 Thread:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t361292/
austinkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Ran into a problem yesterday. Wife calls and says she left her work keys at home. I jump in the car to bring them to her. This is what I find.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Also found one other issue Saturday night. For the first time my wife Kathlyn, and I took the Mustangs out together. While driving down the road side by side we floored it. One of us took off in our car, the other one of us was me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #74
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
Ran into a problem yesterday. Wife calls and says she left her work keys at home. I jump in the car to bring them to her. This is what I find.
Looks like your heater core gave up. Haven't dealt with that since one of my '66s years ago. Are they hard to get to in the s197?
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Looks like your heater core gave up. Haven't dealt with that since one of my '66s years ago. Are they hard to get to in the s197?
You could be right, but I'm fairly certain based on the massive quantity, it's not the heater core. Also, this has never happened before until it rained. Then all the water drained out, then it rained again and filled right back up.

I'm fairly certain there is a drain hole in with the cabin filter, and I'm betting that based on the condition the car was in, it got clogged, causing the water to overflow into the car.

Like I said, I could be very wrong, but I've heard of this issue. I did some searching yesterday and saw multiple people that have had this issue on the S197's, and based on the level of filth in this car, it makes sense.

If that isn't the case, then the heater core is the next thing I'm going to check. Either way, I'll be posting some pics to keep you updated.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #76
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
You could be right, but I'm fairly certain based on the massive quantity, it's not the heater core. Also, this has never happened before until it rained. Then all the water drained out, then it rained again and filled right back up.

I'm fairly certain there is a drain hole in with the cabin filter, and I'm betting that based on the condition the car was in, it got clogged, causing the water to overflow into the car.

Like I said, I could be very wrong, but I've heard of this issue. I did some searching yesterday and saw multiple people that have had this issue on the S197's, and based on the level of filth in this car, it makes sense.

If that isn't the case, then the heater core is the next thing I'm going to check. Either way, I'll be posting some pics to keep you updated.
Wow, hadn't thought of that. Well if it's just water then it is probably as you say. A heater core fail would be antifreeze unless of course there was none in the system. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #77
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
That is a fairly common issue on the 2005 Mustang. The drain for the cowl gets plugged up and it backs up into the cabin like that. It can mess up your smart junction box. Pull the plug and drain it, pull up the cowl cover like changing the cabin air filter and pull the junk out too under the air filter. With the mess that car was in my guess is that there are at a minimum a couple of years worth of leaves caught in there (or maybe another pair of women's panties)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Yep! You are correct! Pulled the plug, water came pouring out. Unfortunately before i got it cleaned out and back in, it's raining again. So I guess I'll find out if that's it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416853167885.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	170216   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416853177553.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	170217  

Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #79
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yikes!

And this is a common issue on many vehicles, not just the Mustang.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

So the customer actually saw her car today, I had told her a while back I might buy it and try to restore it. She was like, "is that my car?" Yep, it was. I said to her, "you didn't tell me about the massive waterfall behind the glove box"

She goes, oh yea it does that, actually hey now that you have the car you should probably know the trunk leaks too and the car makes a funny sound from the rear when you get going fast.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #81
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
...you should probably know the trunk leaks too and the car makes a funny sound from the rear when you get going fast.
Oh, BTW...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #82
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
So the customer actually saw her car today, I had told her a while back I might buy it and try to restore it. She was like, "is that my car?" Yep, it was. I said to her, "you didn't tell me about the massive waterfall behind the glove box"

She goes, oh yea it does that, actually hey now that you have the car you should probably know the trunk leaks too and the car makes a funny sound from the rear when you get going fast.
As long as she was talking about the car and not herself...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #83
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
As long as she was talking about the car and not herself...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

Lol, this actually made me laugh out loud. Now you see why she let the car go so cheap. She probably thought she was going to have to pay you guys to take it.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Well, car is gonna be out of commission for a little while. Drove it to Jacksonville Wednesday. I was pretty fortunate that nothing happened on the drive, but about the time I pulled into my parents neighborhood the headgasket blew. So I drove it into their driveway and there it sits. Had to ride back home with my wife. The good news is it's a project car and I still have something else to drive so I can take all the time in the world to fix it.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, car is gonna be out of commission for a little while. Drove it to Jacksonville Wednesday. I was pretty fortunate that nothing happened on the drive, but about the time I pulled into my parents neighborhood the headgasket blew. So I drove it into their driveway and there it sits. Had to ride back home with my wife. The good news is it's a project car and I still have something else to drive so I can take all the time in the world to fix it.

Geez! How many miles did it have? Glad you got it for 1300 now lol!!!

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #87
Staff
Regular
Staff

Coyote swap time?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow. This is why food and cars should never mix. Oh, and that black glue like stuff you found under the seats? I bet you it was semi-solidified corn syrup from spilled drinks.

Dear Lord. Hazmat suit and a case of the willies in the shower afterwards...
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Geez! How many miles did it have? Glad you got it for 1300 now lol!!!

113k miles. I've been told that's not bad for the 4.0 motor. I fully expected to run into issues like this. Based on the way the girl treated the car, even with regular oil changes I just knew something was going to come up.

Got a quote, $1600 to fix. I'm not going to do that. If I can't find something cheaper, I'm going to do it myself. The guy that works right underneath the owner of our company was in yesterday though and asked me how it was going with the car. I told him and he said he's going to talk to service about giving me a good deal though so we'll see how much the price goes down.

Quote:
Coyote swap time?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
For a blown head gasket? I wish I could afford the coyote motor to put in it at the moment, but unfortunately, no.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #90
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Pulling the heads on the 4.0 is a little tricky. On the passenger side the timing chain is on the back so not much room to work on it with the engine in the car. Plus you have to make sure you degree the cams properly when reinstalling - mark them before you take anything off if you do it yourself.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
113k miles. I've been told that's not bad for the 4.0 motor. I fully expected to run into issues like this. Based on the way the girl treated the car, even with regular oil changes I just knew something was going to come up.

Got a quote, $1600 to fix. I'm not going to do that. If I can't find something cheaper, I'm going to do it myself. The guy that works right underneath the owner of our company was in yesterday though and asked me how it was going with the car. I told him and he said he's going to talk to service about giving me a good deal though so we'll see how much the price goes down.

For a blown head gasket? I wish I could afford the coyote motor to put in it at the moment, but unfortunately, no.

Wow that's such low mileage to blow a head gasket. She must have really neglected maintenance because I've only heard the 4.0 was pretty reliable.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #92
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Wow !!! What a SLOB.

I think $1000.00 was a good price to give the lady on her trade in. The dealer probably would have had to wholesale that car out and that is about all he would have gotten for it the way it was turned in.
Other then the filth the car did have other problems and over 100,000 miles.
Give her new Jeep some time and I'm sure it will be in the same disgusting condition.I also wonder what her house looks like.
I Sure hope she don't have "CATS"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You should get a raise for saving your manager the extra ~$4k he was willing to give her.

Better yet, tell your manager that the money saved should go to your repair costs!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I think $1000.00 was a good price to give the lady on her trade in. The dealer probably would have had to wholesale that car out and that is about all he would have gotten for it the way it was turned in.
Other then the filth the car did have other problems and over 100,000 miles.
Give her new Jeep some time and I'm sure it will be in the same disgusting condition.I also wonder what her house looks like.
I Sure hope she don't have "CATS"
Ronnie
Jeep is already on it's way to being disgusting. She was just here a few days ago and when I walked out to her jeep to take a picture with her, I noticed there were Mcdonald's bags in it and random school papers scattered all over. Nothing that couldn't be cleaned in 5 minutes, but a clear sign that it's on it's way to looking the same as the Mustang.

And no she doesn't have cats, she has two dogs, which is mostly why the leather is messed up in the passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
You should get a raise for saving your manager the extra ~$4k he was willing to give her.

Better yet, tell your manager that the money saved should go to your repair costs!
Lol, actually yesterday the guy that works right under the owner of our 19 lots was here, and he asked how my project was going. When I told him I was a little upset because the head gasket blew, and then a few hours later the big diamond fell out of my wife's engagement ring he goes, "Oh man that's terrible, well you worry about getting your wife's ring, and I'll take the service manager to take it easy on you and charge you as little as possible."

I thought it was funny, the top execs in the company are actually enjoying my pictures of turning this car around.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #95
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Wow that's such low mileage to blow a head gasket. She must have really neglected maintenance because I've only heard the 4.0 was pretty reliable.

Mine blew at 70k after buying my very!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. Glad I bought my 4.6 then lol! It was between the 05-09 v6 or 99-04 GT. I picked speed/fun over the upgraded interior and other bells & whistles.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow. Glad I bought my 4.6 then lol! It was between the 05-09 v6 or 99-04 GT. I picked speed/fun over the upgraded interior and other bells & whistles.

I love my S197's. The SN95's were cool, don't get me wrong, but to me I like the muscle car look.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

New edges are easily one of the best looking mustang made. NPI's aren't my favorite though. But at least my engine didn't blow at 70k lol! Or 113k

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
New edges are easily one of the best looking mustang made. NPI's aren't my favorite though. But at least my engine didn't blow at 70k lol! Or 113k

True story! Though I'd tend to blame mine blowing on the previous owner not taking care of the car. But if you have a 4.6, why is your username V6 stang?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
True story! Though I'd tend to blame mine blowing on the previous owner not taking care of the car. But if you have a 4.6, why is your username V6 stang?
Irony?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Irony?

Owned 99 V6 before this

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 11-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #102
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I enjoyed reading through this thread so far! You got quite a job on your hands
Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #103
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

There was no New Edge with a NPI. I kind of like the 94-98 jelly bean look myself although if I was to ever get another one, it would have to be a 94/95 Cobra. Did the modular thing, wasn't a fan. Missed the bottom end and stupidly easy motor to work on that my 95 Cobra had.

The New Edge is probably one of the best looking cars ever made though, just needs to be lowered and a little bit of love cosmetically and its great. Does not need much...

As for the OP's ride, I just suggested a Coyote swap because I have no idea what the budget for the rebuild is and that would be the way to go if this is ever going to be a go fast project later on. If you can get the HG replaced for cheap, I'd do that. Also have them gander at the rear and look at what is wrong. Very well might have the original fluid in the diff or some of it leaked out.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There was no New Edge with a NPI. I kind of like the 94-98 jelly bean look myself although if I was to ever get another one, it would have to be a 94/95 Cobra. Did the modular thing, wasn't a fan. Missed the bottom end and stupidly easy motor to work on that my 95 Cobra had.

The New Edge is probably one of the best looking cars ever made though, just needs to be lowered and a little bit of love cosmetically and its great. Does not need much...

As for the OP's ride, I just suggested a Coyote swap because I have no idea what the budget for the rebuild is and that would be the way to go if this is ever going to be a go fast project later on. If you can get the HG replaced for cheap, I'd do that. Also have them gander at the rear and look at what is wrong. Very well might have the original fluid in the diff or some of it leaked out.
Good call. I will do that in regards to the rear. As for a swap, I thought about it but there's too much involved. I had originally intended to put a 5.0 in it, but it's an Automatic. Most of my coworkers and even my boss are encouraging me to sell it.

I think I'm going to get the HG fixed for now. DD the car for a year or two while I save up some money, sell the car off and hopefully break even, then buy what I really want. An 08-09 GT manual transmission.

Currently I think it's really cool having two silver his & hers stangs with my wife when we go to our car club, but I don't think she wants hers forever. I may even get rid of this one in a few years, take hers, then get her what she wants.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #105

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
oh
my
god
🙊😯😲
i..
i am like stunned & disgusted & omg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2005 mustang