Will insurance companies cover heavily modified cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Will insurance companies cover heavily modified cars?

Just wondering about people's experiences with this. I have invested a lot into my car and wonder if my insurance company would cover losses regarding modifications if it was ever in an accident.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
teabagsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabagsax View Post
Just wondering about people's experiences with this. I have invested a lot into my car and wonder if my insurance company would cover losses regarding modifications if it was ever in an accident.
Thanks!

To be honest, the only answer you are going to get that will mean anything to your particular case is the one given by your specific agent. Other people's experiences will be all over the board, and the positive ones may give you a false sense of security, only to be disappointed later when you actually place a claim. I'm sure your agent will probably want a list of things you have specifically done and go from there.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
To be honest, the only answer you are going to get that will mean anything to your particular case is the one given by your specific agent. Other people's experiences will be all over the board, and the positive ones may give you a false sense of security, only to be disappointed later when you actually place a claim. I'm sure your agent will probably want a list of things you have specifically done and go from there.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
Solid advice. It's also going to vary from company to company. Some offer an allowance for modifications, some dont, some offer supplemental insurance for modifications etc etc.

The best answer is going to come from your company/agent.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Sounds good. I'll see what I find out. My insurer is Amica btw.
Thanks!

teabagsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabagsax View Post
Thanks!

Try the following postings for your question.

1) https://www.lelandwest.com/faq/

2) California Antique, Custom & Classic Car Insurance

3) Modified Car Insurance - MoneySuperMarket

4) https://www.esurance.com/insurance/classic-car

5) Muscle Car Insurance Checklist – What To Know Before You Buy

6) Insuring your collector car – Protecting your investment for a lot less than | Hemmings Daily

Hope these help, if not, back to the search feature in your browser.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Most of the time they cover what the car is worth by itself. If you have money in mods you won't get that back. Sometimes you can add mods to insurance, like wheels or such. But good luck getting aftermarket suspension or motor work added into your insurance plan.

If you have a lot of money invested in the car, what most people do is if it is totaled buy it back from the insurance company for cheap and part it out.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yeah I checked with my insurance company out of curiosity. 0 allowance for modifications lol. I may look into Hagerty but I already know it's going to be very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
[QUOTE=Soccerluvr4;2131311If you have a lot of money invested in the car, what most people do is if it is totaled buy it back from the insurance company for cheap and part it out.
[/QUOTE]
Or buy another and re-used the parts!
Grabber Orange 2007 GT 5-sp...Fang Performance Twister Special package. , 3.55:1 Limited Slip, Shaker 500, Predator tuned, C&L 95mm CAI, Borla X-pipe and cat-back exhaust. Hurst Comp Plus short throw shifter, 18x9 Black Bullitts with Nitto tires, "Stop the Hop" suspension package, suspension package, Koni Struts and shocks, SR lowering springs, SR double adjustable panhard bar, SR rear shock tower brace, 28200 miles
FangStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My Z28 is covered with everything done to it. Basically if it's stolen, burnt down or totaled, I get a check for the market value of the car along with another check for $7,000+ for the mods on the car. Now, you do need to have receipts for all the aftermarket parts, along with pictures of them on the car. I have everything covered from heads, cam and valve springs to the clutch/transmission/rear end, suspension, wheels, even my nitrous setup is covered.

I have Progressive insurance btw. I also have similar policies on my quads and bikes covering mods.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion