traction in snow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
traction in snow

I was looking at the ME catalog I just got in the mail and was looking at the SR adjustable panhard bar and the strut tower brace. Do these mod's help with traction in the snow? And how well does a mustang handle in snow? Just got mine in September, so kinda concerned about handling in s****y weather. Will snow tires be enough? Thanks all and have a great Thanksgiving.
stangs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Those won't really help much. It's a rear wheel drive live axle Mustang. It isn't built for bad weather, so your traction will be garbage. Snow tires are a good start, just don't get stupid and take it slow. Easy gradual throttle or you'll dig and get stuck or swing the *** end out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Strut tower brace for sure will not help for snow traction. I have one and honestly, it feels like that thing is mostly for show. Good tires is what you need to drive your stang in the snow. And a couple hundred pounds of sand bags in the trunk. That did it for me in Michigan last year.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you both. I already drive slow in bad weather. I learned it's better to drive slow and get to your destination than to be stuck on the side of the road and have to go to the bathroom with no bathroom in sight.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I made it through winter on the stock Pirelli's last year in Indiana, which was our snowiest winter in years. Never got stuck, never really had a problem. I didn't even add any weight to the car.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Ish. Usually we get our first snow on Thanksgiving but it hasn't happened yet. We need the weather but am glad it's not here yet. I figure I will see how the stock Pirelli's work and if they don't, I can always drive the f350 and park the stang in the garage.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Good winter dedicated tires ( not all seasons ) make a world of a difference. I had my summer tires on and figured ahh I can get threw winter. Nope my street is on a hill ( barely ) could not get up the hill to save my life. Decided to park on the street behind mine and got stuck on flat ground. Got pushed out of there and had to peddle the car the whole way to the grocery store where I parked and called people on craigslist for winter tires. Found a decent set with rims, had them brought to me at the grocery store lol changed them in the parking lot and drove home as if it was a nice summer day. Next year I will be buying brand new winters. what a difference
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Hello. That sounded like it really sucked. I really don't want to park her if I don't have to.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

was brutal, couldn't make it up the hill. started to back down and slid off to the side and curbed my tire a bit
When I got the winters on Cooper Weather Masters I was like okay here we go again, nope drove up the hill and didn't spin even once lol
After a few winters of just using summers or all seasons and having to drift constantly and peddle the car and roll up to lights so I didn't have to stop completely.. I should have just bought winters sooner lol lesson learned
Old 11-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I always hate the first snow. Working in 911, you always get those people that just go flying off the road because they have forgotten that they need to slow down. I think even with winter tires, I'll still roll up to intersections. We don't have lights here.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

of course you need to respect the weather and drive more "responsibly" or cautiously. But the confidence from non winters to winter tires changes drastically. I see big 4x4 trucks sliding around corners that I can take smoothly
Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have them studded?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

nope, they WERE studded from previous owner, you can see where they were but they are worn down past the tread. Next season I will buy nice new winters but these are great for now. Like I said I cant emphasise enough how much of a difference they make. Last winter If I didn't shovel my drive way before I tried to enter or exit I was screwed . forward reverse forward reverse.. Now not an issue
Old 11-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, but dang now I have to shop for winter tires.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4me View Post
Thanks, but dang now I have to shop for winter tires.
Yah haha that's why I never bought winter tires until this year when I absolutely had to. Tried to justify the sketchiness by saving money! If you plan to keep the car for a while then having a nice winter set up and nice summer set up will be ideal. and next year you will be happy to have them come first snowfall
Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on keeping her until I die so it will be a worthwhile investment. Explaining to the kids why they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas because of tires will probably not go over so well. But I need to keep my priorities straight, LOL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion