Buy a project for cash and no car payment or buy a "done" car with a payment? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
What was the reason you sold the 98? Stick with whatever mind set you had at the time as your going to feel the same way eventually if you don't.
Like I said, it was not mine. Felt like I was driving someone else's car. The SN95 is also a pain in the *** as far as making it into a good chassis but that's not exactly a 100% reason since there exist plenty of parts to fix it to where its rock solid.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Buy yourself a nice fifth gen Camaro as and retire already. Your choice of auto/l99 or 6spd/ls3. Can't go wrong either way have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nope, if I get a Camaro it'll be a 6th gen with the LT1 on the CTSV platform or a 4th Gen F body.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Nope, if I get a Camaro it'll be a 6th gen with the LT1 on the CTSV platform or a 4th Gen F body.

I say 5th gen because they are going down in price and it would be a fun *** car to have imo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

I sat in one and coulnd not stand the dash layout at all. Interior is bleh... But they are coming down in price and the 1LE is a damn good performer.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #41
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Buy a project for cash and no car payment or buy a "done" car with a payment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This can get a bit more complicated when a family is involved. A spouse, children, and future expenses have to be considered. When a family is involved, college tuition savings should be considered, and lets not forget retirement. I read recently that only 15% of people over the age of 55 have a savings account put away for retirement. In ten years, that's going to be a scary moment.

Sorry to be the "Debbie Downer" on this topic, but younger folks should be planning ahead.

That's why I said make sure you can afford it. What it seems like scares most people is the monthly payment along with interest you are going to pay more than sticker price. But if you get a cheaper car and dump money into it you come out at the same outcome. The only difference is in how it looks like you are spending the money

For example, for what I paid for my car plus all of the modifications I could have simply bought a low miles terminator or a 5.0. Same amount of money, only difference is that I would have put that money into payments instead of mods.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, and the mods are at your own pace/schedule vs having a regimented "you pay this much per month or bad things happen".

Old 12-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
how much did you sell your car for?
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I think it just depends on a person to person basis. I've only been seriously into cars for the past year or so, so my knowledge and experience is limited at the moment. I'm also OCD. If I bought a project car and there was one little thing that bothered me that I could not wrap my head around, it'd drive me insane. If I bought a new car, I'd just let someone break their back fixing it under warranty. I think if I was experienced, had the tools and know-how, a project car wouldn't be such a scary idea for me.

I think what I have now is a good balance. New-ish car sitting at 32K miles and 5 years old, but an older platform that has tons of upgrades on the market available.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Looked at some 05-09 GTs just now for ****s and giggles. Are people seriously on like... a Tony Montana amount of cocaine to think their 30k mile 07 GT with bolt ons is worth $19k?? ..........

I'd pay like $5k max for a clean high mileage one that needed engine/trans work and rip the whole ****ing thing apart for a Coyote swap/GT500 front end conversion.

I mean from those who have lived in S197 land for awhile, what is a clean 05-09 street value both with low miles/stock and higher miles?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't been in the market for over a year now, so I can't answer that. Although I believe a user here bought a 2005 GT with 120K for $6,000 or so just maybe less than six months ago. Don't quote me on it though.

Hell, it even looks like low mileage 2010 GTs may be going for as low as 15,000-$16,000... But you're paying big bucks just for that new styling and that's it (although I personally love the 10-12).
Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Mine was in perfect condition, 05 gt premium with 70k miles and it was 13

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
10,000 is a reasonable number to spent on a car. It shouldn't break you.
Go out find a a 99-04 GT with a solid body and good paint and glass. Forget what rims it has, what tires, who cares about the brakes or if the suspension is shot. If it runs and drives pick it up for a couple grand. Go home sit down at your computer and order the remainder of your budget worth of mods. Everything from suspension to big brake kit, gears, aluminum driveshaft, full exhaust. ect. and have one bad *** new edge. Then drive the car. Pick away at the engine over time and yah. just my 0.02

Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I ever get another 04-down car its going to be a 94/95 Cobra, period. Do what I did last time, A9L swap and bolt ons and then this time correctly upgrade with suspension/chassis stiffening/driveline work and then swap it down the road.

I just really do want to finally get into a S197. Hell, maybe I'll do the same thing but with a 3V. Yeah the 3V is bleh unless built and blown but the rest of the car is still a S197 and still is a lot easier to make into a serviceable track car.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not sure your area prices but yeah.. The gap between 2v's and 3v's are retarded. I searched for a solid 8-12 months before finding my 03. I found that even high mileage work out vehicles would still sell for 10k. The ones with 70k would go for around 14ish. 30k would put ya 17-19.... It's dumb. This is in Texas though where prices seem to be more inflated then other areas.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Not sure your area prices but yeah.. The gap between 2v's and 3v's are retarded. I searched for a solid 8-12 months before finding my 03. I found that even high mileage work out vehicles would still sell for 10k. The ones with 70k would go for around 14ish. 30k would put ya 17-19.... It's dumb. This is in Texas though where prices seem to be more inflated then other areas.

Yeah it seems like up north the prices are much better.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

I have plenty of time to think about it. Nice thing about Mustangs, endless options.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

Problem with plenty of time to think about it is I think too much. Its been like a month and I'm already constantly talking myself of doing XYZ. I hate not having a Mustang and driving a beater... There is a 95 Cobra that is stone stock for $9k identical to the one I used to have (in my avatar) with 30k miles on it. I want it... but I know by the time I got done with it I would be into it another $5-$6k and I don't need to be spending money right now.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
If it's running good

You don't really have to do anything right away. See how cheap you can get it with some negotiating. I would offer $7,500 to start and wave the "CASH" in front of the seller. I'm sure he will come down to around $8,000 if you do it right.

When you get a little extra $$$ just start stockpiling your parts.
Finding a 95 Cobra that is stone stock and well taken care of is a rare find and still a great car to have.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #55
Staff
Regular
Staff

I know but I think 1 - the wife would kill me if I get another sports car right away and 2 - I need to pay stuff off. Just very tempting. I loved my 95 Cobra, I know the whole car, can take it apart and put it back together in my sleep including the motor. No OBDII or PATS to deal with and once the A9L is swapped in the computer doesn't give a **** about bolt ons and is very agressive for a stock tune with the timing at 14 degrees on 93 octane. I was never able to get a 12 out of mine before the HCI but I've seen it done twice on stock longblock bolt on 5.0 street Cobras.

I'm sure I could get it for $8k no doubt if I told the guy I had cash and would show up this weekend.

Still would be about another $8-$10k to get it where I would want it with bolt ons, suspension and a pieced together Vortech/tune and an Astro A5. At that point I guess I might as well just get something newer that's already at that level pretty much right out of the box.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I know but I think 1 - the wife would kill me if I get another sports car right away and 2 - I need to pay stuff off. Just very tempting. I loved my 95 Cobra, I know the whole car, can take it apart and put it back together in my sleep including the motor. No OBDII or PATS to deal with and once the A9L is swapped in the computer doesn't give a **** about bolt ons and is very agressive for a stock tune with the timing at 14 degrees on 93 octane. I was never able to get a 12 out of mine before the HCI but I've seen it done twice on stock longblock bolt on 5.0 street Cobras.

I'm sure I could get it for $8k no doubt if I told the guy I had cash and would show up this weekend.

Still would be about another $8-$10k to get it where I would want it with bolt ons, suspension and a pieced together Vortech/tune and an Astro A5. At that point I guess I might as well just get something newer that's already at that level pretty much right out of the box.
It sounds like you know what you really want but keep second guessing yourself. Go get that 95 Cobra and be happy!

There are ALWAYS cars that will be faster than you. Period. What matters is you love your car and don't regret driving it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I say buy a car for xxx$ and put 2x,xxx into it and have a 40k car exactly how you want it! Its like starting with a blank canvas being able to put whatever you want and now have to worry about upgrading stock parts that are "still good"

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #58
Staff
Regular
Staff

I do miss my 95... but I can't just go drop $9k on it plus the tax when I have **** I need to get paid off. Can't do it. Would like to... here's my old 95. The one for sale is identical down to the paint and the black leather interior and bone *** stock.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh screw it, i'll stop thinking about this for awhile and see where I am in 2 years. I do really want a GT500 and they'll be around in mint condition still in 2016.

That's basically my dream car and it doesn't take much to take them to 700hp. Plus, being a S197, there is a metric assload of stuff already out for them to actually put the power down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelby5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	170987  

Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe start looking around for a "fixer", kinda like that dude with the "$1300 Mustang" thread. I know that it's not your dream to own a 10 year old, six cylinder Mustang with an interior that looks like it could have possibly been a crime scene but that guy has really added a lot of value to that car by, mostly, putting in some "Sweat Equity". You could have a Mustang that way, with the intention of fixing what is wrong with it and, hopefully, turning it over for a profit and then find another one and do the same thing. You have the skills, and if you do it right, in a few years, you go down to the dealership and order the car that you want... And pay for it with CASH!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Although much easier said than done, I say just fight the temptation and wait. Get your bills paid off and let prices drop. Look for a cheaper hobby meanwhile, haha.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quit looking or you will torture yourself. I don't even look at mustangs anymore because I know that I will want a newer/better one. I got what I got, and it will be that way until I get out of college. I just have to be happy with it being a GT even if it's older.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #63
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Maybe start looking around for a "fixer", kinda like that dude with the "$1300 Mustang" thread. I know that it's not your dream to own a 10 year old, six cylinder Mustang with an interior that looks like it could have possibly been a crime scene but that guy has really added a lot of value to that car by, mostly, putting in some "Sweat Equity". You could have a Mustang that way, with the intention of fixing what is wrong with it and, hopefully, turning it over for a profit and then find another one and do the same thing. You have the skills, and if you do it right, in a few years, you go down to the dealership and order the car that you want... And pay for it with CASH!
See, that is literally the thread that got me started looking. I mean that car was in ROUGH shape but the interior cleaned up nicely and if the body is in good shape... Few cosmetics and it looks identical to a GT500, then swap in a Magnum XL and maybe find a Trinity out of a wreck to drop into it. However, I have not seen even a high mileage 4.0L V6 for under $5k around here. People are nucking futs with what they think some of these things are worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Although much easier said than done, I say just fight the temptation and wait. Get your bills paid off and let prices drop. Look for a cheaper hobby meanwhile, haha.
This is the correct advice and what I keep telling myself I think... Even 5 years ago I would have already done something stupid instead of waiting like buy that Cobra. As much as I liked my 95 Cobra... its still got that Fisher Price interior and a 1978 chassis...

Quote:
Quit looking or you will torture yourself. I don't even look at mustangs anymore because I know that I will want a newer/better one. I got what I got, and it will be that way until I get out of college. I just have to be happy with it being a GT even if it's older.

Oh I'll keep looking, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
no payment man. put that would be payment into mods

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
roush02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by roush02 View Post
no payment man. put that would be payment into mods

It all evens out in the end I've found. Anything in Mustang land before 2011 besides the SVT/Shelby cars are going to need a built motor and trans to go to the power levels I'm wanting out of my next car.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It all evens out in the end I've found. Anything in Mustang land before 2011 besides the SVT/Shelby cars are going to need a built motor and trans to go to the power levels I'm wanting out of my next car.

But you don't have to pay an extra 2-4k in interest over 5-6 years so that's a good thing lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #67
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
But you don't have to pay an extra 2-4k in interest over 5-6 years so that's a good thing lol

That doesn't bother me so much honestly. I get a real good rate on used from my credit union anyway and if I did decide to buy a new S550 or the LT1 Camaro when it comes out I'd try for a 0% over 5 year loan. I know with my credit I'd qualify.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Depends on the car, as well as what I'm looking for.

We bought the wife's Mustang as a car that already had 90% of everything we wanted on it and just put a bunch of money down so we could have a small $250 a month payment on it.

On the flip side, bought my project that needs a ton of work, but I enjoy working on it.

For a fun car I'm all about an old cheap cool car that I can fix up and make my own.

As my only means of transportation, I'd like to get something a little newer.

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 Thread:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t361292/
austinkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
And as somebody who sells cars for a living, let me tell you that cars are almost never an investment, so you should always go with what makes you happy.

Quote:

There are ways to greatly reduce that. Doubling up on payments here and there, putting more money down up front, and shopping around for the best interest rate.

Also doing a short term loan helps. Wife and I bought her Mustang for $10,500. We paid our own taxes up front and put an additional $2k down on the car, so we financed about $8,500. We did a short term loan of 36 months, and with a 1.99% we are paying a grand total of $263.29 in interest.

By doubling up on our payment once every 6 months (that's only twice a year) we can take our interest down to $230, which admittedly isn't a big difference, but since we only had $263 in the first place it's hard to reduce it too much.

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 Thread:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t361292/
austinkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
yea. I have an 02 roush, im wanting to drop a coyote in mine

roush02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion