Copyright infringement ??? Wow!!!!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Copyright infringement ??? Wow!!!!!!!

check this out:::
Will Copyright Law Stop You From Working On Your Car In The Near Future?

After reading this, I think the car company's will probably be getting into the tuner business.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

Region: Georgia
Will I'm not surprised. Lets see they took smokers rights, they want our guns, they want to take prayer out of public places, 10 commandments removed from court house, Discipline removed from schools, everything must be politically correct no more freedom of speech, and now they say they want to take our freedom to work on our cars. WOW just WOW! What ever happen to free will?
mpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Oh Dang, I am really screwed, Tuner for the engine and Lockpick for the back up camera.
I still feel that the only way they could get you on anything to do with Copyrights would if you were trying to sell a modified ECU. Making notes in your Owners Manual would be considered Copyright infringement going off what that article said.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The key line is "without manufacturers approval". I really don't think that's ever been a problem. They just warn you not to in case of possible warranty issues. I don't think the auto companies will just flat out say "you do not have permission to modify your vehicles". Who knows maybe they will. Its all pretty crazy.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Oh Dang, I am really screwed, Tuner for the engine and Lockpick for the back up camera.
I still feel that the only way they could get you on anything to do with Copyrights would if you were trying to sell a modified ECU. Making notes in your Owners Manual would be considered Copyright infringement going off what that article said.
In that case adding too much oil or torquing lug nuts too tight would also copyright infringement. Hell even changing the air pressure in the tires! Ha ha. Changing any parameter would be breaking the law. It would be unenforceable either way.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

This country is going from bad to worse!

Stupid people always trying to get more money with those stupids laws.

I hope they all burn in hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenny View Post
Will I'm not surprised. Lets see they took smokers rights, they want our guns, they want to take prayer out of public places, 10 commandments removed from court house, Discipline removed from schools, everything must be politically correct no more freedom of speech, and now they say they want to take our freedom to work on our cars. WOW just WOW! What ever happen to free will?

Everything you mentioned are things that need to be changed to make the country better, not worse. But I'll bite my tongue on this one.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Everything you mentioned are things that need to be changed to make the country better, not worse. But I'll bite my tongue on this one.

I found the sheep^^^^^
Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I found the sheep^^^^^

Hardly.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Does this really need to get political? Keep that somewhere else.

As for the actual topic at hand, I don't see this passing. It would be so unbelievable to enforce.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Before this blows out of hand.

As long as this thread stays relating to cars and your ability to modify them, and as long as it stays CIVIL the thread will be ok.

If it gets out of hand or starts getting into politics this thread will be closed, this is the one and final warning.

So just keep everything civil and related to cars and there won't be an issue.

Also: Moved to General Mustang discussion (not really 11-14 V6 related)

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

As for my opinion, i don't really think it'll go through. If anything it will be the exact same thing as currently where you void your warranty if you modify the car in certain ways.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
In that case adding too much oil or torquing lug nuts too tight would also copyright infringement. Hell even changing the air pressure in the tires! Ha ha. Changing any parameter would be breaking the law. It would be unenforceable either way.

You're talking apples and oranges. The things you mentioned have nothing to do with changing copyrighted programming code. Pointing the difference out does not mean I am in favor of such a law, it just means there is no correlation between the two.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You're talking apples and oranges. The things you mentioned have nothing to do with changing copyrighted programming code. Pointing the difference out does not mean I am in favor of such a law, it just means there is no correlation between the two.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

Agreed. I'm just saying specifications are specifications and its a slippery slope.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

No doubt Ronnie and others that have been around the automotive hobby can remember the Senate wanting to crush all automobiles that were made before 1974 time frame, claiming they were the major polluters; they offered a large tax break to dealers that took them on trade to crush them. They soon listened though to the automotive recyclers and restoration folks, as they would have been quickly removed from their jobs, not to mention the classic car hobby as a whole. These "unthinking senators" quickly changed their minds when the voters let them know how they felt on such an idea. Unfortunately, quite a few cars got crushed before this change took affect.

This new topic that Ronnie has brought forth is a good way for all of us automotive folks to let our voices be heard as to how we feel about this. If you feel it's wrong, don't buy into it. And as always, remember to vote for those who have the same thinking as you do.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Excellent information from BUCKO

I posted this because I thought it was very interesting that the factories say tuning your car for performance is a terrible modification and will void your warranty.

Then they may just start selling you a performance tune if you want to pay them the $$$$$$.

As far as copyright, They would have to prove that the company's such as BAMA among others started with a Factory tune and changed it. If tuners started their programs from scratch there is no copyright infringement.
I'm pretty sure the car factories will come to some sort of license agreement with the tuners because it is very big business and $$$ to be made.

Ronnie
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
It'll never happen. If it does, don't expect to not be able to buy performance parts.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What probably will happen is this"

The car manufactures are noticing how many cars are coming in to the shops that are tuned as well as people trading in tuned cars.
I think the car company's will soon offer tunes through their performance groups such as Ford Racing. GM, Dodge all have performance groups already set up.

That way they can warranty the tune through their performance group and not through the dealer network.

They like making money and with the amount of tunes being sold by the aftermarket industry, they know that money is to be made.

Ronnie
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if this is a copyright issue or an EULA issue between the manufacturer (owner of the "software" to operate the car) and the end user (purchaser) who has been granted a license to operate the software. In this case turning the key to start the car would be accessing the software. About 20 years ago GE tried to "lock out" independent microwave oven servicer by claiming they did not have a license to program the unit to operate it. GE claimed only the consumer who purchased the unit had that right granted to them by GE. That did not go far and neither will this.

Deep impact blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73,Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 side exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The car manufactures are noticing how many cars are coming in to the shops that are tuned as well as people trading in tuned cars.
I think the car company's will soon offer tunes through their performance groups such as Ford Racing. GM, Dodge all have performance groups already set up.

That way they can warranty the tune through their performance group and not through the dealer network.

They like making money and with the amount of tunes being sold by the aftermarket industry, they know that money is to be made.

Ronnie
Ford (through Ford racing) already offers a tune for some of their packages (GT and Boss I believe), and if installed by a dealer, the warranty is intact....interesting, huh?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion