Thinking about a 2013 GT/CS... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Thinking about a 2013 GT/CS...

Want to get a new car. Mine runs fine, but I want to upgrade. I've found this awesome looking 2013 GT/CS with 23k miles that I should be able to get a nice price on at a dealership. Only thing is it has a surging idle. Check engine light was on, they claim it was just a gas cap problem which is funny because these cars don't come with gas caps. When I told them that and they realized I'm not an idiot, they quickly changed their story to the problem being that it's running lean. Right now they have the car sent to their sister Ford dealership (the car is being sold at their BMW location) who is looking into the problem and trying to fix it for me. Then they say when they get it back I can pick it up and drive it for a few days to make sure the problems are gone.

Should I stay away from this thing or what? It's a beautiful car. One thing I noticed is that it has an aftermarket Airaid CAI. I wonder if that combined with it maybe not being tuned is causing it to run lean. Thinking I should insist they replace it with a factory airbox if they want a sale. It also has Roush axle-backs. This brings me to another question: do either of these void the warranty? I'd be surprised if the axle-back does, but the CAI on the other hand... and what if the original owner had it tuned, but then put it back to stock to unmarry his tuner? I think Ford can detect if the car has been reprogrammed on the 2011+ models.

Pics of the car:

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
LaserRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Beautiful car. I say since it still under warranty and they are willing to fix any problems go for it. I would think that they are not worried about the axlebacks or CAI or they would not have taking it on trade.
Tell them to fix it, take it home over night and drive it. I love my CS, they are rare cars.
speedbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, didn't they make less than 3,000 for 2013?

I'm not sure if they would have considered those mods at all when accepting it as a trade. Even if it voids the warranty they can still sell it to some sucker who doesn't look into these things. I've read some shady things about this dealership too. I know 99% of them are shady sometimes, but this one has particularly bad reviews. I'll bring the car by a reputable Ford dealership I know nearby and see what their take on it is.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ummm....... After reading their ad on their website, I'd walk in and be like... sooooo "GT TRACK PKG: Brembo brake pkg" what happened to those brembos?!

Even though the window sticker makes no mention of them lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Not sure of the 2013 numbers but you can check on the GT/CS registry. Mine comes down to 1 of 16 with the color and options.
Guess it comes down to how much you love the car, if they fix the problems and if they will deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	170616  
speedbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Ummm....... After reading their ad on their website, I'd walk in and be like... sooooo "GT TRACK PKG: Brembo brake pkg" what happened to those brembos?!

Even though the window sticker makes no mention of them lol.
Hah, good eye! Yeah, I don't see any brembos in the pics...

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbyu View Post
Not sure of the 2013 numbers but you can check on the GT/CS registry. Mine comes down to 1 of 16 with the color and options.
Guess it comes down to how much you love the car, if they fix the problems and if they will deal.
Nice 'vert!

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Also the Carfax says it failed emissions immediately after the dealership got it in. They said it passed later. Pretty clear sign to me that the car has been tuned and then the stock program reloaded right before they got it. Probably had the crap driven out of it by a leadfoot since day one.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 11-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

See if you can get the previous owner's information and ask him about the car. I've researched several cars that way.

"hey, do you have a way for me to contact the previous owner to see what mods he may have left over for me to buy for this car, should i purchase it"

"ohhhhh man, of course! here!!"

they always think "oh he's interesting in modding! i'm about to make a sale!"

then, get all the dirt on the car. even ask how much he traded it in for.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They're actually not supposed to give out your info. I'd be super pissed if a dealer did that. My buddy traded a car once and the alternator literally died on the new owner a month later. Crazy ***** was calling him like 24/7 demanding HE replace it since the dealer wasn't going to I thought he was going to have to get a restraining order. Finally told her he was going to report her to the police and she stopped calling.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I know they're not supposed to. But those salesmen are thirsty and will.

I have had instances where a previous owner has given permission to the dealer to give out his info to any potential buyers who may have questions about the vehicle past.

As long as you're a sane individual and ask politely (and take NO for an answer.. if the previous owner doesn't want to talk, don't pursue any further), it shouldn't be any harm done.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah salesmen... you basically need to treat them like a psycho ex no matter how nice they seem.

As for this car... dunno. Its nice... but I leaned the hard way a long time ago to run (not walk) away from scenarios like this. Its under warranty, but if you've ever had to escalate to corporate and get a case manager because the dealer (or dealers) couldn't figure out wth was wrong...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
This sounds to me like the Airraid "no-tune needed" modular venturi tube is missing. Meaning it was tuned before and when returned to stock to trade in the owner forgot or just didn't put the no tune tube back in. Running a tune needed CAI with a stock tune will cause lean codes to stick; Bank 1 and Bank 2 fuel trim lean codes for example. That they dissed you with a Gas Cap lie tells a story.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Find another cs thats not kidded up with who knows what. Id get a 14 stock at another dealer that doesnt feed bs to people.
Plus they dont care about whats been done to the car to take on trade, they just cared to sell the previous owner of the stang on that day.
Plus with a 14 you can tell yourself like I do that you have a 50th anniversary mustang, I even picked mine up new on 041714
BlkBettyCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Can't afford a brand new GT/CS. Maybe the base GT. That's pushing it unless I can find a deal. Pretty sure I could get these guys down to like $24k or less on this car, but the red flags are bugging me.

BTW, my birthday is 4/17... maybe why I like Mustangs so much.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 12-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
This sounds to me like the Airraid "no-tune needed" modular venturi tube is missing. Meaning it was tuned before and when returned to stock to trade in the owner forgot or just didn't put the no tune tube back in. Running a tune needed CAI with a stock tune will cause lean codes to stick; Bank 1 and Bank 2 fuel trim lean codes for example. That they dissed you with a Gas Cap lie tells a story.
That's what bugs me the most, honestly. Who knows what else they're lying about or leaving out. I almost *****ed them out and left right there, but the car looked so good I put up with it.

And yeah, that's what I thought too about the lean codes. No tune on a tune-needed CAI. Doesn't having had a tune on previously void the warranty to begin with? I hear they can detect it now.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol yeah salesmen... you basically need to treat them like a psycho ex no matter how nice they seem.

As for this car... dunno. Its nice... but I leaned the hard way a long time ago to run (not walk) away from scenarios like this. Its under warranty, but if you've ever had to escalate to corporate and get a case manager because the dealer (or dealers) couldn't figure out wth was wrong...
I'm thinking that's probably what I'm going to do. Run. I think I'll still take their offer of letting me drive it for a few days. Why not. Get to drive a new Mustang and free gas!

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thinking about a 2013 GT/CS...

Yeah sounds like the air raid is making it run lean without a tune. Which means yes, it's probably been driven hard, and why did he sell it so early if he put mods on it so early.. The red flags would bug me too when we are talking about a 25 thousand dollar car.

IMO, I'd walk. I know it's a beautiful car but when they lied straight to my face first thing, I would have told them to go **** themselves. If It has bad reviews, trust those people. Plus the car has red flags. I tried to pursue a nice car at a bad dealership.. Got screwed around and they just covered lies with more lies, and bait&switched me. Trust the people(reviews), trust your logic, and most importantly trust your gut. Sounds like to me that you don't like the baggage an red flag the car/dealer has. Walk.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Working with a good dealer, having a tune voids the warranty on items the tune can be shown to cause problems. How long has this dealer test driven this lean engine? Any piston problems or other things related to lean driving in the future you can rule out under warranty by Ford very likely. Who knows what else was modded or rigged? Walk away saying bad things backwards softly three times in Chinese. Find a lower cost GT, put the CS spolier and side scoops on it. I put the CS spoiler on my GT, and on the past V6 PonyPak I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7447-px.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	170722  
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well where are you located? Maybe test the private market? People are starting to... not give them away but they're getting down to the $20k flat mark.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Wait for 2-3 Years...

[QUOTE=LaserRed99;2132875]Want to get a new car. Mine runs fine, but I want to upgrade. I've found this awesome looking 2013 GT/CS with 23k miles that I should be able to get a nice price on at a dealership. Only thing is it has a surging idle. Check engine light was on, they claim it was just a gas cap problem which is funny because these cars don't come with gas caps. When I told them that and they realized I'm not an idiot, they quickly changed their story to the problem being that it's running lean. Right now they have the car sent to their sister Ford dealership (the car is being sold at their BMW location) who is looking into the problem and trying to fix it for me. Then they say when they get it back I can pick it up and drive it for a few days to make sure the problems are gone.

Should I stay away from this thing or what? It's a beautiful car. One thing I noticed is that it has an aftermarket Airaid CAI. I wonder if that combined with it maybe not being tuned is causing it to run lean. Thinking I should insist they replace it with a factory airbox if they want a sale. It also has Roush axle-backs. This brings me to another question: do either of these void the warranty? I'd be surprised if the axle-back does, but the CAI on the other hand... and what if the original owner had it tuned, but then put it back to stock to unmarry his tuner? I think Ford can detect if the car has been reprogrammed on the 2011+ models.

Why not put some more money in the bank and in two-three years go buy a new mustang? Wait to see if there any problems with the new ones and give Ford some time to work out the bugs.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion