How important are miles? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
26K miles in 8 months. ☕️🐸

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I bought 2 vehicles this year. A new(14) GT and a Buick Enclave. I too am a summer, weekend only Mustang guy. Car will be stored Nov. thru April. Wisconsin winters can be brutal. Car will never see salt or snow. Will hardly ever see rain. Its just too nice. The Buick on the other hand is my DD.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I bought 2 vehicles this year. A new(14) GT and a Buick Enclave. I too am a summer, weekend only Mustang guy. Car will be stored Nov. thru April. Wisconsin winters can be brutal. Car will never see salt or snow. Will hardly ever see rain. Its just too nice. The Buick on the other hand is my DD.

How do you store your car over half of a year and only drive it on weekends when you actually do ️Drive it?!!!! That's horrible 😳😐

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

How important are miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
How do you store your car over half of a year and only drive it on weekends when you actually do ️Drive it?!!!! That's horrible 😳😐

Not really. That way we can keep our cars around for decades of enjoyment and don't have to worry about them deteriorating in front of their eyes. Like I said in another thread, that's what we do in Wisconsin. It's so easy for people in warm weather climates to tell us to drive our cars.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #40
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Enjoy it now or sell it now.

Not using any car is not really that good. If I were you I would go enjoy the car and just keep it super clean and maintained.

The only other option is to look around for a left over 2014 Roush now and trade it in. If your heart is set on a 2015 Roush just get it now. You will save a full years depreciation on your 2014 if you trade now.

The very worst thing anyone can do is worry too much about $$$$ and not enjoy the time we have on Earth. Need more $$$, Get another part time job to save for what you really want.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Not using any car is not really that good. If I were you I would go enjoy the car and just keep it super clean and maintained.

The only other option is to look around for a left over 2014 Roush now and trade it in. If your heart is set on a 2015 Roush just get it now. You will save a full years depreciation on your 2014 if you trade now.

The very worst thing anyone can do is worry too much about $$$$ and not enjoy the time we have on Earth. Need more $$$, Get another part time job to save for what you really want.

Ronnie

It's not only what you see, it's what you can't see that really kills you. It's costly and not really practical to go to the car wash constantly and get an underbody flush when temperatures can dip below freezing for months. Then there is the salt dust that remains on the road all winter long.

If people are buying cars to only keep a few years and then trade in before the salt starts to take its toll, I guess that's a different story. If you want to keep your car for a long time, it will definitely catch up with you.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #42
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I totally understand it depends on where you are at and some weather/road conditions can be nasty for your vehicle.
I used to store my drag car from November through March in a heated garage up on jack stands and as long as a car is stored properly and maintained while in storage I understand it depends on where you are at.
I have a friend who has a 2011 GT/wTrakPak and the car has a total of 8000 miles. It never sees rain or snow here in the Northwest and if it looks like it might rain he drives the Corvette, go figure.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Better to crash a Corvette than a Mustang GT /w TrakPak of course I do wish Ford would make a engine as good as the LS that can take tons of power and abuse.....
Old 12-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
That's the Coyote, even the V6 is a stout motor and very reliable. I'd even say the Cyclone is more reliable than the coyote.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Unexpected icy mist came through this morning. Froze on the roads. Accidents everywhere. So glad I was driving my Dakota and my Mustang was tucked away in the garage.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #46
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don'y listen to anybody about Florida

It has been horrible here with the cold weather. It has been going all the way down into the 40's at night and never got over about 72 today.
The sun still will fade your paint if you don't keep some sort of wax type protection on your car.
If your thinking of moving to Florida--"DON"T-- Your much better off with your " CHANGING OF THE SEASONS"

Ronnie
PS: The weather girl say's it may rain here Sunday, Then the roads get all wet. Bummer
Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It has been horrible here with the cold weather. It has been going all the way down into the 40's at night and never got over about 72 today.
The sun still will fade your paint if you don't keep some sort of wax type protection on your car.
If your thinking of moving to Florida--"DON"T-- Your much better off with your " CHANGING OF THE SEASONS"

Ronnie
PS: The weather girl say's it may rain here Sunday, Then the roads get all wet. Bummer
The weather here in Central Florida has been way to cold this early in the "winter"
My "Summer" tires feel like hockey pucks in the mornings. Hopefully its not a sign to come. I think it was 3 or 4 winters ago when I saw snow flurries. I almost packed up and headed south lol.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know just what you mean

I live in Port Orange /Daytona area and when it gets down in the 40's it is like freezing. I walk my dog at 11 PM and again at 7 AM when it is still cold. It has only been going up to around 72 in the afternoons. Brrrr
This has been an unreasonably cold fall. Winter starts this Sunday and I'm sure we will have some rain.
My car is parked in my garage so I don't get the tire thump when it gets cold out.
My tires are filled with nitrogen so the temperature change does not affect them much at all anyway.

I'm sure the people up north really feel bad for us with our cold weather problems.

Ronnie
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm sure the people up north really feel bad for us with our cold weather problems.

Ronnie

Tell me about it...

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
My way of seeing it is always why buy a car meant to be driven and enjoyed if you aren't gonna drive it. I've actually taken random drives just because I enjoy driving my car.

Sent from the Death Star.

Random drives, those are the best kind of trips. That's where most of my miles have come from. Storage in winter has saved mine from being over 50k. The first 9 months I put on 18k miles.
I'm not gonna take the car with me when I pass away. So what's point of saving it in garage to lust after it but not drive it. 30+ years and sell it at Barrett Jackson and hope to make a profit.

Grabber blue, definitely agree on babying it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post

Well that's what I do. Had a 69 Camaro I did the same thing with for over 25 years. By doing that it kept the car in showroom condition.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #52
Road Trip!

People get hung up on miles, when someone drives there car on the highway or whatever , and you are at a good operating temp for a longer period of time it is good for the car , you have essentially no wear on the motor and you are keeping moisture out of the drive train and such. As said above you'll get bent over anyway going to the dealer, I would just keep it clean and most of all keep it maintained - just my 2 cents

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

People get hung up on miles, when someone drives their car on the highway or whatever , and you are at a good operating temp for a longer period of time it is good for the car , you have essentially no wear on the motor and you are keeping moisture out of the drive train and such. As said above you'll get bent over anyway going to the dealer, I would just keep it clean and most of all keep it maintained - just my 2 cents
NcmustangboyIw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think somebody may have left a letter off of this.

Instead of "How important are miles
*********It should say****************8
How important are "SMILES"

Ronnie
Old 12-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I understand the miles game if you have a rare or numbered car that will hold individual/personal value example if you have a old (60's model) gto, camaro, etc then miles count. I have a 14v6 I bought new in February 2014 and is almost at 22k. Conserving miles really doesn't help on my car, when its time to trade it in, low or high miles eyeballs will be knocked out from the dealership. Drive and enjoy

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I live in South Carolina and we have short/mild winters, I sit around every morning,drinking coffee and planning my daily drives. Gas is cheap and driving a mustang 5.0 is one of life's simple pleasures that I shouldn't have waited sooooo long to do. Bachman Turner Overdrive said it best, just Let It Ride,ride,ride,let it ride. Enjoy every day, don't waste your time and have a damn ball!!! rrrrrr n SC
caliconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 AM   #56

Lol . Cars are meant to be driven . New or old . I think that is what cars are built for . I take random drives even if i have nowhere to go ha .
CESARSANTANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #57
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I understand the miles game if you have a rare or numbered car that will hold individual/personal value example if you have a old (60's model) gto, camaro, etc then miles count. I have a 14v6 I bought new in February 2014 and is almost at 22k. Conserving miles really doesn't help on my car, when its time to trade it in, low or high miles eyeballs will be knocked out from the dealership. Drive and enjoy

I've got a 2001 Bullitt in the famous Dark Highland Green. It's a rare and numbered car. It also has 147k miles on it and plenty of modifications and track time.

It's meant to be driven.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I've got a 2001 Bullitt in the famous Dark Highland Green. It's a rare and numbered car. It also has 147k miles on it and plenty of modifications and track time.

It's meant to be driven.

New to the site . Nice car . And yeah soccer is the best .

2001 mustang gt vert
Old 12-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #59

Quote:

It's meant to be driven.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419152674002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	172300  
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #60
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I Sgree

Ceasersantana say's:
Quote:
I take random drives even if i have nowhere to go ha .
As I have stated before a few times. I like getting up and driving the back roads at around four in the morning. I finish up at the diner at about seven, have a nice breakfast and back home by eight thirty. Ain't nothing as good as a "DRIVE TO NO WARE" is hard to beat for driving pleasure.
Ronnie
Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ceasersantana say's:

As I have stated before a few times. I like getting up and driving the back roads at around four in the morning. I finish up at the diner at about seven, have a nice breakfast and back home by eight thirty. Ain't nothing as good as a "DRIVE TO NO WARE" is hard to beat for driving pleasure.

Ronnie

We do this all Summer long, daily if the weather permits.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #62
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is the best time to be driving-or- riding a Harley

I used to do this when I was working and before my health took a crap. The only difference was I rode my Harley and ended up at work instead of home.
Ronnie
Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
We do this all Summer long, daily if the weather permits.
+1
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I am more concerned about the affects of driving in Winter and that's why I park my cars. It has never been to keep the miles down. That just happens to be a byproduct. Even in the Summer, I never think about miles when I choose a vehicle to drive. I base my decision on where I am going, where will it be parked, and what is the weather like. My choices have NEVER been based on mileage because I love driving my cars.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #65
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Steve

Ronnie
Old 12-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I sold my turbo 4 cylinder LeBaron convertible years ago with 227,000 miles only because a rod went.

I currently have 154,000 miles on my '95 T/A that I bought with 67,000 back in 2003.

I don't buy my cars to resell. I buy them, fall in love with them and enjoy them until something happens to them that makes no sense to eventually repair.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's meant to be driven.

Lol I hear you I was looking on ebay last week and found a 1987 buick gnx 151 original miles thats the cars im talking about. My old 96 mystic cobra had 120k and I drove it everyday.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #68
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Personally, I am more concerned about the affects of driving in Winter and that's why I park my cars. It has never been to keep the miles down. That just happens to be a byproduct. Even in the Summer, I never think about miles when I choose a vehicle to drive. I base my decision on where I am going, where will it be parked, and what is the weather like. My choices have NEVER been based on mileage because I love driving my cars.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

See that's perfectly fine. If it's dealing with snow then yea park it to keep it nice. But remember the OP was talking about not going on a simple drive to hang out with friends because of the miles. I think we all agree that those miles are worth it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See that's perfectly fine. If it's dealing with snow then yea park it to keep it nice. But remember the OP was talking about not going on a simple drive to hang out with friends because of the miles. I think we all agree that those miles are worth it.

Agreed.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

I drive my stang 7 days a wek and rack up almost 1k miles a week. I actually bought it BECAUSE I was going to be driving a lot and wanted to be in a car that didn't suck donkey dicks all day. Seriously, now I look forward to my 1 hour commute even in the Wisconsin snow. Its not even hard. We only have real amounts of snow on the roads like 5 days a year. Theres these fancy vehicles they have now called plow trucks and they get the snow off. 4wd is for women and 16 year old rookies.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion