How important are miles? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How important are miles?

I have a 2014 GT and I took delivery in April 2014. I'm nearing 8k miles. How closely do you all watch miles? Am I being stupid for passing up 30 minute trips to hang with friends/girls just because of the miles? I'm trading it for a Roush/Shelby in 2016 so that's why I'm kind of anal about it. Should I just drive the thing or what??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlackFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
about 32% more important than Kilometers.......

Mine is a nice day toy and I don't kid myself that it will be a lot more valuable than a DD when I get rid of it. More yes but not a lot.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
My way of seeing it is always why buy a car meant to be driven and enjoyed if you aren't gonna drive it. I've actually taken random drives just because I enjoy driving my car.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Did you buy the car to drive it or just go look at it in your garage/driveway?

I bought my car to drive.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFiveOh View Post
I have a 2014 GT and I took delivery in April 2014. I'm nearing 8k miles. How closely do you all watch miles? Am I being stupid for passing up 30 minute trips to hang with friends/girls just because of the miles? I'm trading it for a Roush/Shelby in 2016 so that's why I'm kind of anal about it. Should I just drive the thing or what??

Not sure where you live, but if it's in a Winter climate, park it for the Winter but enjoy it as much as you want in the Summer. That will keep the miles down and allow you to use it more in the warm weather months.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Drive it, and put money into savings. when your ready for a shelby, the money you save will probably more than make up for the difference of selling it with less miles.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
which do you like more friends/girls or $
Old 12-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I bought mine used (guy traded it with 2700 miles on the ODometer for a new 2014 Corvette, go figure) and I've put 2k miles on it in the past 3 months. I live in Oregon and it rains a lot here, but I drive it when I need to and when the sun comes out I'm in the car and headed somewhere.............because I bought the car to drive and have fun with, not as a "Garage Queen". I had a 97 Cobra and in 7 years only put 26k on it............wish I had driven it more and enjoyed it!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I don't worry about my miles as I'm not getting rid of the car for any reason soon, just rebuild it eventually
Old 12-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I bought my 2011 for one purpose: to drive it. In the first 2 years of ownership, I put over 42K on it. And smiled on each mile driven. The warranty lasted me about a year and a half.

Carroll Shelby said it best: "these cars were made to be driven; not washed and kept in a garage"
Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Drive it. By watching the miles, you'll only increase the value by a couple hundred dollars... The pleasure of driving it is worth more than those couple hundred dollars.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

If you trade it in to the dealer on the 2016 mileage won't make any difference, you'll get hosed anyway. You will get a better deal selling it privately or to CARMAX (unless someone other than you is holding the title).....IMHO
Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's a car......... Drive it.

Who cares if it gets a few more miles.
Who cares if it gets a drop of rain on it.
Who cares if it touches snow.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I'm about the only one out here who thinks more of their car than just a piece of metal that gets you from point A to point B.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

How important are miles?

No you arent. My car is my absolute baby, I wash it all the time, take care of it and give it everything.

But I also do realize that frozen water, or liquid water falling from the sky, or a few more miles on the engine are not going to do anything. I love the car and want to keep it nice, but I also bought it to drive, to have fun, and to show it off. You can't do that if it's parked because you are afraid of it getting wet it just a few more of those dangerous numbers on the odometer.

HID end all thread
Old 12-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
No you don't. My car is my absolute baby, I wash it all the time, take care of it and give it everything.

But I also do realize that frozen water, or liquid water falling from the sky, or a few more miles on the engine are not going to do anything. I love the car and want to keep it nice, but I also bought it to drive, to have fun, and to show it off. You can't do that if it's parked because you are afraid of it getting wet it just a few more of those dangerous numbers on the odometer.

I second that thought!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #17

I ordered my 13 GT manual in 06/06/12 and received it 7/23/12. This weekend, it'll roll 36K miles. I love driving it everyday. The roar of the Shelby exhaust on cold start still excites me as I head off for work. I'm fortunate I drive during the day quite a bit for work and really enjoy blasting around town in it.

My point? Drive it! My first new car was a black '84 GT when I was 23 and sold it 9 years later with 223K miles on that 5.0/5-spd. I had two more manual GTs along the way before this '13. They're meant to be driven - enjoy it.
fzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
No you arent. My car is my absolute baby, I wash it all the time, take care of it and give it everything.

Right there with ya

2003 Mustang Cobra
482rwhp/487lbs torque
Old 12-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I've seen people with Corvettes, Lamborghini's, Ferraris as other exotics purposefully go out when it's raining or snowing to have fun. And those are a lot more expensive than a Mustang.

HID end all thread
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I lived in California I would be running my cars year round also.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I also drive my cars. But his question was "How important are miles?" And, it's the single most important thing. You can add mods or whatever but ask any dealer. Single biggest indicator of value is mileage. So your answer is - miles are very important, when it comes to value.

My 94 GT has 149k on it so it's worth the same whether it has 125k or 175k for all practical purposes. So I drive the wheels off it!

surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Drive it don't garage it and go out and enjoy life with your friend and your Mustang because the memories will be way more important than the miles ten years from now.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinglbi23 View Post
I also drive my cars. But his question was "How important are miles?" And, it's the single most important thing. You can add mods or whatever but ask any dealer. Single biggest indicator of value is mileage. So your answer is - miles are very important, when it comes to value.

My 94 GT has 149k on it so it's worth the same whether it has 125k or 175k for all practical purposes. So I drive the wheels off it!

Then you can argue that if you are that worried about it dropping in value, just sell it right now. If you have the preconceived idea that you are going to sell it then what good is the car to have?

HID end all thread
Old 12-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Drive it, who are you saving it for? Enjoy the Mustang; it is a much more enjoyable item to own if you drive it rather than just look at it most of the time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
dude just drive it. you have to get you smiles per dollar ratio up to snuff. the fun you have in ur car is worth something too you know
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I watch my miles. I usually only drive it on my off days. and use my ****ty car for back and worth to work.
My DD doesn't really devalue by driving it (200k miles on it), the Stang will. I don't see the point in adding 40+ miles a day on the stang just to get to work and/our sit in traffic.

Now if it us your only car... then drive it and don't really worry. 30 mins trip is nothing. You shouldn't be holding back at the chance of having fun and hanging out with friends because you are worried about miles.
115tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115tang View Post
I watch my miles. I usually only drive it on my off days. and use my ****ty car for back and worth to work.
My DD doesn't really devalue by driving it (200k miles on it), the Stang will. I don't see the point in adding 40+ miles a day on the stang just to get to work and/our sit in traffic.

Now if it us your only car... then drive it and don't really worry. 30 mins trip is nothing. You shouldn't be holding back at the chance of having fun and hanging out with friends because you are worried about miles.

Commuting I can understand. Especially when you have a modified car, it may not be the best thing to commute in. But if it's just hanging out with friends then the only excuse I can see is the money. But if you bought a Mustang that shouldn't be on your mind anyway.

HID end all thread
Old 12-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I buy a car to drive. I have driven from Oklahoma to South Carolina, up to DC, and back. I have driven in snow and rain pouring down. And I show my car, winning more than a couple firsts. There are many out there that buy Shelbys and after a short period, don't get them out on the road because they worry it might get a ding. That is like keeping your child inside the house so they won't get hurt.

Last Saturday, I was in two Christmas parades and a Toy Run. On the way back, some big black object was laying in the road, unseen in the pitch black. I ran over it, and just knew I had some major damage. I saw several other victims pulled over on the side of the road. When I pulled into a store lot to inspect it, there was not even a scratch. My luck was good that day, but I know that nothing is going to prevent what is ordained by fate.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
I buy a car to drive. I have driven from Oklahoma to South Carolina, up to DC, and back. I have driven in snow and rain pouring down. And I show my car, winning more than a couple firsts. There are many out there that buy Shelbys and after a short period, don't get them out on the road because they worry it might get a ding. That is like keeping your child inside the house so they won't get hurt.

Last Saturday, I was in two Christmas parades and a Toy Run. On the way back, some big black object was laying in the road, unseen in the pitch black. I ran over it, and just knew I had some major damage. I saw several other victims pulled over on the side of the road. When I pulled into a store lot to inspect it, there was not even a scratch. My luck was good that day, but I know that nothing is going to prevent what is ordained by fate.
Haha another Okie! Sounds like you went to the OMC event they had up there.

I've had a similar experience, some rubber piece of crud fell off someone's truck on I40 and hit my front bumper. It didn't sound heavy, but when I got home I saw black skid marks on my bumper and was furious. Thankfully, some detail spray and elbow grease took them right out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

It was in Tulsa, on Hwy 75 near I-44. It did damage to my lower front air deflector and two of the undercarriage shields. The damage to the shields was mostly cosmetic, but the deflector will eventually have to be replaced. At $225, I would love to get my hands on someone.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

My old truck took a small piece of rubber from the tire of a tractor trailer and it kicked right into the corner of the bed and curled it up under itself on the corner... looked like poo
Old 12-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
For resale purposes as long as you keep it a little below 15k a year you should be good. I wouldn't worry too much. The mileage may affect the resale by $1000ish in the end, when we are talking about this expensive of a car, $1000 is nothing. Go have fun with your friends.

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 Thread:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t361292/
austinkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
My way of seeing it is always why buy a car meant to be driven and enjoyed if you aren't gonna drive it. I've actually taken random drives just because I enjoy driving my car.

Sent from the Death Star.
+1.... I only do that all the time lol.

My only problem is I need to not worry so much about breaking it by having too much fun and just have FUN.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:

Why would you pass those type of things up over mileage? Who cares?!?! The dealership will give you the same amount of $, They'll base it off KBB, It won't be a big difference.

My co-worker bought a Camry and racked up 30,000 miles in 7 months, Then traded it in with only a $5,000 loss, Which is damn good.

I'm planning on getting the 2017 Shelby GT500, But I sure as heck am not going to trade my car in lol... If you haven't modified your car much, Go for it, But for me that I've invested way over 10k into the car, Then it's not worth it.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I am with GrabberMeBlue; I don't live in FLA or Kali. I have roads that put down crap worse then salt that is eating the frame on my 2008 Silverado. {Brine 2-3 years ago left over from PA fracking} My GT I drive when ever I can, I bought it to drive. It will not see snow and it wont see bad rain days. Yes I can get caught in a few showers but around here heavy rain with run off takes the crap out of the roads and construction sites and pits the undersides of the car almost as bad as road salt. Its a "Fair weather daily driver."

Also this warm part of the year , I drove an extra 6-7 miles to work in the GT going the long way around the beltway due to the my normal route is under super heavy construction for the next 2 years. When I take my truck thru it its hit with stones, contaminated water run off , lime slime and dust from concrete cutting and all sorts of problems I have to clean off of it.

Now I am up to taking it much more than 30 miles on a good day to meet friends and ladies; so go for that !

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion