Surely this can't work? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Surely this can't work?

As some of you know a 5.4L Triton engine can be swapped for a 4.6, but how about a 6.8L V10? From the research that I've done it's basically a 5.4 with two extra cylinders, so the height and width shouldn't be an issue since the 5.4 has been successfully swapped. I found a website that has the specs of all of the modular engines, I realize that the information could be wrong like anything on the internet, but the 6.8 should fit if it is correct.

Ford modular SOHC & DOHC tech & specifications

The website says that the 6.8 is 3.5 inches longer than the 4.6 and when I measured my 2005 GT I had a 4 inch gap between the belts on the engine and the fan. Now the 6.8 is 140lbs heavier than the 4.6 according to Sullivan Performance's site, would that make the car to front heavy even if someone was able to get new front springs and adjustable dampers to account for the extra weight? From the things I've read about the 5.4 swaps a custom intake manifold and exhaust headers must be made since the heads are 1 inch higher, would this still be possible on the 6.8? Also some people say that you would have to swap out the ECU, but if you have a 4.6 3V and swapped a 3V 5.4 or 6.8 would you still need to swap the ECU? This is still confusing to me because some people say yes and others say no.

Am I missing anything? If this is actually feasible I would definitely consider doing this swap after I graduate college. How much would the intake manifold and exhaust headers cost? I realize it might end up being the same price as a supercharger, but I would rather have a mustang that is completely different than another mustang with a supercharger.

PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Region: California
Its been done before in a 99-04. I've also seen a Viper V10 in a 99-04. I'm not entirely sure of what it took to get it in though.

For weight all of it can be accounted for with springs, shocks, and struts. But if you care about corners at all the car will push like a pig through corners, it'll be so front heavy its ridiculous.

Not worth it honestly. Because its still a truck motor so you will need to swap the cams, intake and a bunch of other stuff for it to act like a sports car motor.

Now a Viper engine, you can get those online with transmission and ECU for around $9k lol. (3rd gen, 03ish)

Faster than a speeding...............
2001 Bullitt being prepped for track duty
Corners > Straight line

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Florida
I'm definitely don't want to spend 9k on an engine. What prevents it from being a sports car engine? Does it just redline lower and not rev higher? Are there any other engine swaps under like 4000 that would be worth looking into? Power isn't really my first priority, I just want to be unique.
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
My opinion is you're looking at a major headache by trying to swap a V10 engine in there. By the time you're done purchasing all the necessary parts to swap you're already gonna have a nice chunk of money into the thing and that's not even including any custom fab work that is gonna need to be done. As far as the performance aspect, it's a truck motor that's designed to make low end torque and hold it. Trying to make something more performance oriented out of a motor like that is gonna be an expensive venture as well
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Ford SVT made one, just one thought, you have to push the firewall back to make room for the longer block. I'm unsure how much taller the V10 is verses the 5.4/4.6 so you also need a cowl hood.
Mustang wanted for here...
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion