10k plus mile oil change interval - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
10k plus mile oil change interval

Not looking for any arguments with the thread but just wondering who on here are actually running 10k plus mile oil change intervals. If so, what oil and oil filters are you using? Just a fun thread! I'm currently doing 7,500 mile intervals and thinking of stepping up between 10-11k mile oil change intervals. That way I can just change the oil once annually in the same month and when its warmer out like in June. Lol

I don't track race my car and operate it under normal driving conditions so thinking of switching to Royal Purple and Napa platinum oil filters for an extented change. 😎
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If you are gonna go that long id say run 5w-30 fully synthetic and a wix "Xtreme" filter. They have better bypass valves that return instead of just move out of the way once and then done like fram or other crappy filters. You could easily go 10k miles with that set up provided your engine is healthy and doesn't contaminate the oil before then.

Oils as well as engines have came a long ways since the days of changing conventional oil every 3k miles. Quicky lube places still swear by the 3k oil change but guess what? They make more money the more you change your oil. Conflict of interest.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
If you are gonna go that long id say run 5w-30 fully synthetic and a wix "Xtreme" filter. They have better bypass valves that return instead of just move out of the way once and then done like fram or other crappy filters. You could easily go 10k miles with that set up provided your engine is healthy and doesn't contaminate the oil before then.

Oils as well as engines have came a long ways since the days of changing conventional oil every 3k miles. Quicky lube places still swear by the 3k oil change but guess what? They make more money the more you change your oil. Conflict of interest.
I'm rolling 5W 30 weight now and totally agree with you. I definitely would use that weight. Figured Royal Purple or Mobil 1 EP would do the trick. I'm currently using Napa Gold filters and would step up to a more extended drain oil filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Going that length... honestly Motorcraft would be fine probably but at that point you are changing your oil once a year unless you commute like a mofo. It's about $8 more to use M1 than Motorcraft, I think most ppl can afford that per year lol. Go to wal mart, it should be $26.99 for a 5 quart jug of M1 and then $5 for another quart. WIX filter is $6 at Napa. Done.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My last oil change was 5,000 miles and I went with 5 qt. Valvoline synthetic & 1 qt. Lucas "Heavy Duty" stabilizer. Going more than 6,000 the way I like to corner carve on the back road twisty's seems too long between changes.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just change mine when my oil life monitor hits 15%.

I changed mine Sunday for the 2nd time at 18,800 miles. I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w-20 with a Motorcraft filter. The oil was still a golden brown with 9,000+ miles on it.

I think it would be safe to go 11,000+ miles on it if you really needed to.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

And if you are truly worried about it you can send oil samples out for analysis. These new motors run so clean and the tolerances are so tight and all the gasolines have additives/detergents in them now anyway. Having a good filter is crucial though.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Going that length... honestly Motorcraft would be fine probably but at that point you are changing your oil once a year unless you commute like a mofo. It's about $8 more to use M1 than Motorcraft, I think most ppl can afford that per year lol. Go to wal mart, it should be $26.99 for a 5 quart jug of M1 and then $5 for another quart. WIX filter is $6 at Napa. Done.
Yes sir. Wal Mart has the Mobil 1 extended performance in a 5 gallon jug for like 27 bucks. Royal Purple is 37 dollars at Wal Mart for 5 gallon jug. Both fully synthetic base IV oils. Love that Wally World . lol
Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I change mine every 9 months (low mileage toy) I figure that to be 4x in three years which is 1x more than what is recommended. the small extra cost helps me sleep. I don't like the idea of trying extend oil change intervals but this is based on opinion only.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Yes sir. Wal Mart has the Mobil 1 extended performance in a 5 gallon jug for like 27 bucks. Royal Purple is 37 dollars at Wal Mart for 5 gallon jug. Both fully synthetic base IV oils. Love that Wally World . lol
Royal Purple is M1 with purple food coloring. Or might as well be. At the same price as Amsoil... just buy Amsoil if you are going to be that cray cray about your oil. M1 is more than fine for anyone who is not maintaining high RPM for extended periods around a racetrack. And even then it probably is. Its a VERY good oil. For my daily driven vehicles I use Super Tech if wal mart has it in the weight I need, Motorcraft if they don't and my next Mustang will probably get the M1 treatment.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Royal Purple is M1 with purple food coloring. Or might as well be. At the same price as Amsoil... just buy Amsoil if you are going to be that cray cray about your oil. M1 is more than fine for anyone who is not maintaining high RPM for extended periods around a racetrack. And even then it probably is. Its a VERY good oil. For my daily driven vehicles I use Super Tech if wal mart has it in the weight I need, Motorcraft if they don't and my next Mustang will probably get the M1 treatment.
Funny you mention super tech because that is what I have and currently been using. Super Tech fully synthetic oil. Lol. I don't track race.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Super Tech is a higher end Base III full syn. All tests show it is damn near as good as M1 which is a solid Base IV.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Super Tech is a higher end Base III full syn. All tests show it is damn near as good as M1 which is a solid Base IV.
Really. I didn't know that. I have always heard it was decent oil and have been using it for years but didn't know it was that good. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep Super Tech filters are on par with Motorcrafts as well. Easily better than Fram. Every time I've been in wal mart they sell Fram, Motorcraft and Super Tech filters. If you are getting your filter there go for the Motorcraft first, then the Super Tech and go buy a filter somewhere else before the fram.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep Super Tech filters are on par with Motorcrafts as well. Easily better than Fram. Every time I've been in wal mart they sell Fram, Motorcraft and Super Tech filters. If you are getting your filter there go for the Motorcraft first, then the Super Tech and go buy a filter somewhere else before the fram.
I'm currently using Napa Gold Filters. 😎
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I just finished my first oil change. I was going to have the dealer change my oil for the first time in my life, but they told me it would be a 2 hour wait. I said just sell me oil and filter and I'll change it myself. If I remember it was under 40 bucks out the door for both.

I was really happy with how easy the filter was to access on my v6. For the price and the ease of changing it I figure I'll probably change the oil every 5-6k.
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you paid $40 for oil and filter you overpaid by about $15. 6 quarts of motorcraft and a motorcraft filter at wal mart is right at $25.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you paid $40 for oil and filter you overpaid by about $15. 6 quarts of motorcraft and a motorcraft filter at wal mart is right at $25.
I think Wal Mart sells the 5 quart Motorcraft 50/50 blend for like $23. I also saw this Castrol Edge full synthetic extended performance at Wal Mart in a 5 gallon jug for like $28. The bottle is gold and it claims you can go 15k mile oil change intervals. I guess its like the Mobil 1 Extended Performance but don't know anything about that Castrol EP. I'm not even sure if that particular Castrol extended performance is a true base IV synthetic like Royal Purple and Mobil 1 EP but not a bad price.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Oh I'm sure I overpaid going to the dealer to buy it . Like I mentioned I was actually going to have them change the oil, but they were way backed up. I didn't actually pay 40 bucks..... I just don't remember exactly what the number was. I do know it was under 40. 34 or 36 bucks is what sticks out in my mind tho......

At any rate, I didn't know I could get the same stuff at wally world. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I do some more shopping around next time.
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

5 quart jugs of Super Tech or Motorcraft are $17.99 around here unless it went up in the last 4 or 5 months. M1 is $26.99

Yeah a lot of ppl don't know you can get oil and filters at wm for some reason. I hate the company but I also have a budget and boycotts don't to **** so whatever.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
5 quart jugs of Super Tech or Motorcraft are $17.99 around here unless it went up in the last 4 or 5 months. M1 is $26.99

Yeah a lot of ppl don't know you can get oil and filters at wm for some reason. I hate the company but I also have a budget and boycotts don't to **** so whatever.
Same price here in Hammond Louisiana plus the Castrol Edge is on sale for $21.66 right now. I use M1 and motorcraft filter on mine(10k intervals) I can't fine fulsyn motorcraft oil anywhere around here just syn blend in 5 quart jugs

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've never seen full syn motorcraft anywhere but the dealer. With that said, Super Tech is the same price so I only run motorcraft if super tech is out and I'm not getting M1.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I change my oil once a year in my Mustang regardless the mileage with Amsoil 10W-30 and an Amsoil filter.

On daily drivers in the past I would go 20,000-25,000 miles with Amsoil oil and no issues.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Amzoil is superior to all else. That's like comparing a new mustang to a 90s taurus. Other brands meet requirements to be "synthetic" which is actually just a specific partial size it must meet.

Thank you for reminding me about amzoil I never thought about using it in the car. I only use it in the race bikes.
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'll let my OLM run down to 20% then change the oil. My previous 13 Mustang v6 I used Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 after the first two free oil changes from the dealer (bought new). I just traded that car in for a premium/performance pack model in GHIG with same mileage, and after a few thousand miles I'll dump out whatever the dealer put in it and use exactly what I had before. Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 and a Fram Ultra filter.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge42hammer View Post
Amzoil is superior to all else. That's like comparing a new mustang to a 90s taurus. Other brands meet requirements to be "synthetic" which is actually just a specific partial size it must meet.

Thank you for reminding me about amzoil I never thought about using it in the car. I only use it in the race bikes.
The only advantage with Amsoil's top end oil is its extended drain intervals, which going by UOA's posted by other people, is not that much better than other extended service oils like Mobil 1 EP. At $10.50+ per quart, not worth it to me when I can get something real close to it for less than $40 for 6 quarts from Walmart.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
The only advantage with Amsoil's top end oil is its extended drain intervals, which going by UOA's posted by other people, is not that much better than other extended service oils like Mobil 1 EP. At $10.50+ per quart, not worth it to me when I can get something real close to it for less than $40 for 6 quarts from Walmart.
I'm gonna have to totally agree with you on that one. Unless someone is actually going to go the 25k miles for an oil change interval, I would think Royal Purple, Mobil 1extended performance, Castrol Edge extended performance would do just fine for under 15k miles.

I personally still wouldn't go 15k mile oil change intervals but that's just me. Maybe 12k max with an extended performance oil filter and an analysis from Blackstone of that oil. Are there people here who are actually doing 25k mile oil change intervals?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Amsoil is supposedly superior based on the formula being a true synthetic still.

I've never seen it make a difference in an actual engine compared to something like Mobil 1 or Valvoline ect....

I've always used Mobil 1 with good results.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I pay $7.35 a quart for Amsoil. Signing up as a preferred customer can save you money. It's one of a only a few true synthetic oils remaining despite others claims. For point of reference regular Mobil 1 is no longer a true synthetic oil.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Amsoil is supposedly superior based on the formula being a true synthetic still.

I've never seen it make a difference in an actual engine compared to something like Mobil 1 or Valvoline ect....

I've always used Mobil 1 with good results.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I pay $7.35 a quart for Amsoil. Signing up as a preferred customer can save you money. It's one of a only a few true synthetic oils remaining despite others claims. For point of reference regular Mobil 1 is no longer a true synthetic oil.
Yep, M1 is not a true syn either. Its a blend although what the ratio is off the top of my head. I know motorcraft is mostly dino. They are both still very good oils though.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Mobil 1extended performance is also a true base IV synthetic oil. Its the one with the gold cap
Old 12-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Mobil 1extended performance is also a true base IV synthetic oil. Its the one with the gold cap
Good info. Probably more than the amsoil price tho.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good info. Probably more than the amsoil price tho.
At wal mart it sells for 28 dollars 5 quart container. 8 dollars for one quart. Definitely less than Amsoil. I believe a 5 gallon container of Amsoil is around 43 dollars compared to 28 dollars.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

They make 1 gallon (4qt) containers for $43, either way, still gonna pay atleast $10/qt. Even the preferred customer deal costs a yearly fee.

UPDATE. Just checked out their prices online to be sure.
$11.10/qt for the top end Signature Series
$8.60/qt for the XL line up.
$7.05/qt for the OE line up.

What can be had from Walmart like Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol Synth, all just under $6/qt with the 5qt jugs.

I just don't see the point in in spending almost twice as much for motor oil when I don't go anymore than 8-10k miles.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
At wal mart it sells for 28 dollars 5 quart container. 8 dollars for one quart. Definitely less than Amsoil. I believe a 5 gallon container of Amsoil is around 43 dollars compared to 28 dollars.
I haven't seen the gold cap stuff at wal mart. My Expy is due for a change like meow so I'll have to drop in to wally world (i hate them but i know boycotts dont work and they are far and away cheaper to get oil).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion