Pro charged 5.0 vs. stock ls3 c6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Pro charged 5.0 vs. stock ls3 c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
And flooring it on the highway and shifting 1 gear means nothing to me.

Different strokes for different folks. I just prefer something that takes skill. In a straight line the GTO would definitely destroy me, but look what happens when you add a few corners. Changes the whole game.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Yeah true different strokes. There's no tracks no autox or anything in LA so I build my car based on the driving I do the most which = straight lines. I've never seen a crazy turn that wasn't a freeway on ramp that you could straight fly off of and die lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #37
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Pro charged 5.0 vs. stock ls3 c6

LA as in SoCal? If so there are, and some pretty badass ones down there. The Autocross scene is huge in San Diego also, practically year round.

If it was only straight roads around here then id probably be a straight liner also. Around my school is nothing but twisty mountain roads. So I'm on them all the time.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LA as in SoCal? If so there are, and some pretty badass ones down there. The Autocross scene is huge in San Diego also, practically year round.

If it was only straight roads around here then id probably be a straight liner also. Around my school is nothing but twisty mountain roads. So I'm on them all the time.

Yup that's the one. But Los Angeles is a big place. It covers lots of different terrain and lots of streets. There's everything from ghetto crackhead streets to desert straightaways to the odd twisty road lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Will never happen. Ever. GM had to get rid of all the different brands to compete. Even Ford got rid of Mercury which was a completely useless brand. IMO its Lincoln that needs to make a comeback. Cadillac does well enough but Lincoln... They need their own "CTS-V" based on the S550 and not just a re-skinned Mustang with more options. Needs to be a S550 or its own platform that is substantially different. Hello Mark IX.
I know wishful thinking lol. Selling Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Hummer, ok but could have kept a small Pontiac line a little less than Buick to keep the TA on the market. But thats big business, wasnt it the Pontiac division that pulled the load through the years.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I know wishful thinking lol. Selling Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Hummer, ok but could have kept a small Pontiac line a little less than Buick to keep the TA on the market. But thats big business, wasnt it the Pontiac division that pulled the load through the years.
It was GM's Holden division in Australia that really kept GM alive and competitive in the US and other major markets. They developed the V-body (GTO) which evolved into the Zeta platform which is the platform for the current Camaro, Pontiac G8 - Chevrolet SS along with the majority of the Sigma platform (1st and 2nd gen CTS).

All of the last great Pontiac cars were just right-hand drive Holdens. Hell, all the good GM cars over the last 10 years excluding the Corvette were all developed and made by Holden in Australia.

Then after all that work that the Aussies did, GM sent them a big F you, by way of shutting down Holden.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
It was GM's Holden division in Australia that really kept GM alive and competitive in the US and other major markets. They developed the V-body (GTO) which evolved into the Zeta platform which is the platform for the current Camaro, Pontiac G8 - Chevrolet SS along with the majority of the Sigma platform (1st and 2nd gen CTS).

All of the last great Pontiac cars were just right-hand drive Holdens. Hell, all the good GM cars over the last 10 years excluding the Corvette were all developed and made by Holden in Australia.

Then after all that work that the Aussies did, GM sent them a big F you, by way of shutting down Holden.
Thanks for the information on this. I guess I was shooting towards the late 50's thru the 90's era. Back when the old GMC trucks had Pontiac engines from the factory. Yea im with you on the G8 and the Gto my neighbor has a dark gray G8 that is a commuter car. Close to 200k and running like a champ
Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Tried not to jump in on this one but having bought my first Corvette when I was 18, 63 roadster 327/300 HP, 4-speed that was 8 years old and I hit the dragstrip the first weekend and ran 14.1-14.5 stock on street tires. Since then there have been split window fuelies, 67 big blocks, a 62 with a built small block with 8" Cragers and street tires that would jump the front tires over beer cans anytime someone want to venture 20 bucks. None of them ever broke anything and nothing ever fell off of the interior.
When the Gen fives came out in 97 it became an entirely different car. I have a 98 black coupe that I have owned since 2002 that doesn't know there is a curve in the road and with just a CAI, ported throttle body, long tubes and a cat less X-Pipe and the balance of the exhaust stock, automatic transmission with a 3:15 rear gear and it has a HP tuneup it puts 390 HP to the rear wheels and will run consistent 13.4 to 13.7 on the Good year Eagles that came on it. It is a LS1 and came from the factory w/345 HP. It get 26 MPG on the road and is the most comfortable and enjoyable car I have ever driven. Knock on wood, not one cent has ever been spent on any kind of repairs. I bought a really clean low mile 2004 Mustang GT and in the first month I have spent over $4,000.00 in go fast, look good, performance handling parts and labor on a path to make it the fastest car I have ever owned. I will later this year put a supercharger on it and do more suspension work and I have already changed the rear gear to a 3:73. It rides rough and has some rattles and the interior looks cheap compared to any Corvette I can remember, but that's the price you pay for a performance car. I also have bought five new Z/28'S that were Dragraced and road raced. The GM LS platform is a HP Trq. Making fool. I have a 55,000 mile 03 SS Silverado truck that weighs 6,130 lbs. without me in it that I have six landspeed records in from a one mile standing start and this over 3 ton truck with no head change, supercharger or turbocharger has turned the quarter mile in 13.80. I have never had to ad a qt. of oil to it after a 1500 mile long weekend and making five passes and nothing has ever broke. I think this is correct but go to 79-2015 Mustang Tech then to 99-2004 GT Tech and look for my thread " I'm The Guy In I Got My First Today......... Then go down to two different sets of pictures that Hello so graciously posted for me. On the picture of my truck leaving the line hard look real close at the rear end and especially the right rear and then the front end and zoom in on the left front tire. This is an almost 20 ft. Long 3 ton truck with a base 345 HP engine and all wheel drive. It has not lifted off the pavement and it can't I don't think but it sure as hell thought about it and that is pure our Torque. While you are there look at my Mustang which I am excited about and can't wait until my truck and my yellow Corvette sells.
Thanks
Landspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

One other thing to clear the air, I wasn't a rich kid. My parents truck farmed a small farm and my Dad worked for almost forty years at a textile plant after coming home a three time decorated .30 Cal machine gunner in Italy and Germany during WWll. Bought my first car at 15 with money my Brother and I made from a small share of watermelons and can't elopes we got for helping with the crops and we sold at a roadside stand in our yard.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeedracer View Post
One other thing to clear the air, I wasn't a rich kid. My parents truck farmed a small farm and my Dad worked for almost forty years at a textile plant after coming home a three time decorated .30 Cal machine gunner in Italy and Germany during WWll. Bought my first car at 15 with money my Brother and I made from a small share of watermelons and can't elopes we got for helping with the crops and we sold at a roadside stand in our yard.
We need more stories like this, thanks for sharing. Btw you wouldn't happen to have an old M1 for sale
Old 12-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Have a WWl or really a Springfield I shoot regularly and a M1 Carbine from WWll that also is a great shooter but I don't have an M1 Carbine. Don't want to sell mine but I have a friend who buys them directly from the munitions Armory in Anniston, Ala.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Heeeeaaaavvvvvyyyy.

My very first Autocross I destroyed a GTO, and that's when my car was stock. I've seen the same one at a few other Autocrosses, it's just embarrassing now.

That doesn't mean your car is better just that you drove better then the guy in the GTO. I've know guys who can drive well take v6 mustangs and kills vettes, vipers, etc in auto cross. Can't really compare cars unless you drove both and did better in one vs the other

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #47
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
That doesn't mean your car is better just that you drove better then the guy in the GTO. I've know guys who can drive well take v6 mustangs and kills vettes, vipers, etc in auto cross. Can't really compare cars unless you drove both and did better in one vs the other

That wasn't his first Autocross. I've see the same guy at a lot of events. So he definitely has seat time, and had more of it than I did at the time.

HID end all thread
Old 12-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Prochargers are great. LS3s are great.
Connect the dots lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That wasn't his first Autocross. I've see the same guy at a lot of events. So he definitely has seat time, and had more of it than I did at the time.

Yeah but some people just straight up suck at racing. I saw it in motocross all the time. I showed up with less experience and a bike not even half as nice as a LOT of people there, and I still beat them consistently.

Set up has a lot to do with it also, you can put a bunch of money into a car, but then you take the front swaybar off and good luck turning!

Bone stock car with sticky sneakers on it > ANY car with bald tires on it.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

A 2005 & 2006 GTO can be a bad *** ride stock with 400 HP long tubes, and a tuneup and it can have 450+ HP. The right suspension pieces, tires plus driver ability and it could hold its own with anything on the autocross track, lots of low end torque.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #51
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeedracer View Post
A 2005 & 2006 GTO can be a bad *** ride stock with 400 HP long tubes, and a tuneup and it can have 450+ HP. The right suspension pieces, tires plus driver ability and it could hold its own with anything on the autocross track, lots of low end torque.

Not entirely...

Autocross has almost nothing to do with power, it helps a little, but that's not where the focus is. My 255 wheel horsepower is plenty for me right now at autocross, I have a lot into my suspension and even now the power level is still fine for it, I can get the car sideways out of corners fairly easily.

Miatas are some of the dominant cars at autocross, and those have barely any power.

HID end all thread
Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

That's the reason I said with the right suspension pieces, tires and driver ability and looks like torque would have to help some. I plan on drag racing, running 1/2 and 1 mile tracks for top speed, three or four open track events and I hope to run some amateur Autocross events.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Not entirely...

Autocross has almost nothing to do with power, it helps a little, but that's not where the focus is. My 255 wheel horsepower is plenty for me right now at autocross, I have a lot into my suspension and even now the power level is still fine for it, I can get the car sideways out of corners fairly easily.

Miatas are some of the dominant cars at autocross, and those have barely any power.

+11. AutoX is mostly Chassis, Suspension, and Brake setups!.. Power helps but it's not as important!.. Where Drag Racing is more about Raw Power, and getting to to Hook!.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1419220538.474546.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	172336Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1419220549.706531.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	172337

Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion