New Mustang vs Old Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Region: Iowa
New Mustang vs Old Mustang

Hello I am new to this form and was looking for a little help. Being 17 I have somewhat limited resources for vehicles and have to spend my money wisely. A close friend of my father has a 1966 or 1967 Mustang that is sitting outside that he would sell to me. It has rust and would need new fenders, floor pans, doors, and paint for starters. He wants 1200 dollars. Would I be better of with a newer mustang. I was looking at a 2005 or a 2008 in the price range of 6 to 8 grand. My parents had a 2006 and I loved it, so I know my way around Mustangs. Thanks.
ACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
New Mustang vs Old Mustang

If you can get an 05 or 08 for 6000 or 8000 grand that would be the wise thing to do. Does that 66/67 run?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #3

Region: Iowa
I ran before harvest when he looked at it last, but unsure if it still does. I do not know what type of engine it has either.
ACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Get the latest one you have $$$$ For.

Believe me when I'm telling you that the older Mustang would be great if you have the know how and tools along with a place you can work on the 65/66 Mustang to get it safe and roadworthy.
A disc brake conversion on the front is a must have.
Probably a new gas tank right away.
A later model fuel pump that ethanol won't eat up as well as rebuilding the carb and using parts and gaskets the ethanol won't destroy.
If it has been sitting for a long time you really need to be sure the engine, Transmission and rear won't need work. All the wheel bearings need to be repacked. A lot of other things need to be looked at and replaced.
That 66/67 is great for a project at the $1,200 asking price but not really great for someone that is going to use it all the time.

This 1966 Mustang sat in a Garage in Florida for 4 1/2 years and although "NO RUST" it sure needed a lot of work & $$$$ to get it safe and reliable.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Believe me when I'm telling you that the older Mustang would be great if you have the know how and tools along with a place you can work on the 65/66 Mustang to get it safe and roadworthy.
A disc brake conversion on the front is a must have.
Probably a new gas tank right away.
A later model fuel pump that ethanol won't eat up as well as rebuilding the carb and using parts and gaskets the ethanol won't destroy.
If it has been sitting for a long time you really need to be sure the engine, Transmission and rear won't need work. All the wheel bearings need to be repacked. A lot of other things need to be looked at and replaced.
That 66/67 is great for a project at the $1,200 asking price but not really great for someone that is going to use it all the time.

This 1966 Mustang sat in a Garage in Florida for 4 1/2 years and although "NO RUST" it sure needed a lot of work & $$$$ to get it safe and reliable.
Ronnie
---------------------------------------------------------------
Pay attention to Ronnie 948, Acman! In the older Mustang you're looking at a project car which you absolutely don't want at this time in your life! Find a good newer Mustang at a price you can afford (set aside some of your money for repairs which are likely to come up), and enjoy your ride.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You buy an early model Mustang for a hobby that you work on. It will never be a good daily driver. At your age, you want a newer car that you can work on, but also rely on. The only way the 67 would work for you is if you had access to other cars at any time, and you have a family tradition of car restoration.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
6 or 7 grand will just scratch the surface to get the 66 up and running. Body work is not cheap, unless you do all of the work.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
$6k-$7k is not going to get a very nice 05+ car. I'd be looking for a 99-04 GT with lower miles and close to stock. Or... if you are 17 with a limited budget maybe get a reliable DD and work towards having disposable income for a performance car.

I'm not saying this to be an *** or a downer, but because I have been there before on said limited budget and a Mustang eating most of my paycheck and its really ****ty. If I could do it all over again it would be a real low mileage Honda at that age and that price point and drive it for 3 or 4 years working towards when I could afford something REALLY nice.

If you are dead set on a Mustang... I have to say hell no to the classic one. "Limited budget" and "classic muscle car" do not belong in the same universe.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
are you buying this to be your car? If so financially the newer one will be better. If you are getting something to love and have a wonderful, worthwhile, frustrating, expensive, experience with go for the older one. I will caution that the 1st time out to do anything like this it would be wiser to get something that doesn't need everything. The learning curve on restoration is steep.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Get a 99-04 GT and have fun

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion