Want to take good pics of my green Mustang. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Want to take good pics of my green Mustang.

My iPhone has a hard time taking good pictures of the Gotta Have It Green my car has. It always looks washed out in the sun, and only close to the actual color away from the sun. My reg old digital camera looks 20x worse, almost white!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	172452  
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hard to do with a small pic. Not that clear of an image. Little better though.

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  40.6 KB
Old 12-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	969.5 KB
ID:	172453
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I played around with the iPhoto app on the iPad to up the saturation, and that gets it their.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I feel your pain. I adjust most of my pics on snap seed on ipad. Otherwise the pictures don't do the car justice.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to know if there's a good camera out their that can take pics of the color accurately
Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
I would like to know if there's a good camera out their that can take pics of the color accurately
Accurate colour capture is somewhat problematic in most affordable cameras. Some brands, and some models of brands, capture certain colours better than others. If a camera has a light sensitive lens, it sometimes works to aim at a bright source such as the sky, press the button down halfway to "lock" the setting, and then redirect the lens to the object being photographed and press the button all the way to take the photo. The viewfinder or image plate on the camera will show what the photo and colours will look like. Conversely, one can aim at a darkened area, "lock" the lens, and then complete the photo of the desired object. Experimenting with this system can bring good results. But if the camera can't accurately capture the colour regardless of lighting, then the picture may need to be edited. Some cameras will let you do this in-camera. Otherwise, some type of computer-assisted editing file such as iPhoto in Macs can help.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Buy a DSLR. I paid $500 shipped for a Nikon D3200 with two lenses and a case on cyber Monday. Usually they are in the $800-$1k range.

If you can't afford that then maybe look for a used lower end 4/3 camera like this

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-PL1-.../dp/B0035LBRJO

I paid $125 shipped from the evilbays for one of these with the lens and case last year. Takes really good pics even with the lower megapixel count and extra lenses aren't that much $$$. The DSLR blows it out of the water obviously but still much better than a smartphone.

Some of the newer cameras on some of these phones like the G3 and s5 are real good but you'll never get close to what a good dedicated camera will do.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

How's this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #10

Region: Illinois
If you want to take an accurate picture of your car's color, you will need to adjust the white balance, color temperature and metering of your photo. Most cameras use an automatic white balance system which is generally accurate but is often fooled in various lighting scenarios such as back or side lighting. You need to be able to set a manual white balance for the light hitting your subject using a grey card. Your camera's auto metering system is set to render an 18% grey card as the reference for color. If your subject is not 18% grey, the metering system tries to adjust your color to fall into this window.....hence the reason you get grey snow instead of white. So you will either need to use a grey card to set your white balance and then meter your subject manually, or use your exposure compensation to adjust the metering.

Generally cell phone and tablet cameras do not have these options. You get get after market photo aps that will help, such as Procamera or 645Pro, but ir is better to get a feal camera such as a micro 4/3rds camera or a DSLR or high end compact. These will allow direct manual control off all options. Then tweak in Photoshop or Lightroom and your done.
jdglover is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion