Anyone Interested in a 90 mile Road Race - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Anyone Interested in a 90 mile Road Race

I haven't done this in over 10 years (last time was in my 97 SVT Cobra) but am thinking seriously of entering the Silver States Classic in September with my Mustang. Is anyone interested in going or maybe making it a team effort.
Here is the web site;
Silver State Classic Challenge Inc.
Just a few issues, if you have never done this before you must attend their drivers school where they take you through their high performance driving school on the Road Course at the Speedway. This is all done at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. As a Rookie I also think you need to run in one of the lower classes with a top speed of 124mph.
The other deal breaker for some people may be the cost, it would probably cost around $1k for the 4 days.........not including gas and lodging.
You can have a co-pilot though............both times I ran it I had one although you can run without one.
Just a thought.............and where else are you going to be able to run your Mustang 124mph for 90 miles..................no it's not all straight, I think the longest straightaway is 14 miles long..and yes there are turns, a lot them!

Anybody up for it????????????
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
This sounds awesome! But it's kind of far for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, for anyone not on the West Coast it would be a long haul.
Driving at speed on a real world road for 90 miles is great, and being around other car guys/girls is also a great time, plus being in Vegas and driving on Vegas Motor Speedway..........on my "Bucket List"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Maybe if i wasn't a broke college student.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

There is always next year, this race has taken place for the past 24years and I'm sure it will be still be around when you finish school.
Just asking, no promises, are you up to being a navigator?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If I do go it won't be for quite a few years. And I'll definitely be driving my own car if I go lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Man not bad for the money. If a guy showed up with his log book would the still make you do there hp class?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Maybe if i wasn't a broke college student.
this +1
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That would be a lot of fun! But YIKES!!! It is sort of expensive!

If that was in Northern Nevada, I would totally be down to attend.

What is the Navigator Participation Fee all about Olerodder?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This seems fun & I'm on the west coast too but it does seem kind of pricey. Maybe in a couple of years!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would definitely be in if my recovery from a light stroke on Christmas Eve goes well. Everything corrected its self am just weak and can't get my BP stabilized. The Mustang I am building in two phases and phase one was completed last Monday and #2 is to have a supercharger installed and will work out time wise perfectly with the Silver States event. I am building the car to be well rounded, drag racing, track events, landspeed events on 1/2 and 1 mile tracks, auto cross and anything else I can find to go fast in. I have been to two NASCAR Driving Schools. These weren't Petty follow the leader type schools. They were put on by the youngest son of Nascar legend Buck Baker. The advanced course was 60 laps around Atlanta Motor Speedway and after I figured out the best way to enter and come out of the turns I was averaging 172 MPH and change. I also hold six landspeed records but the only drawback is the driving distance to just get to Vegas. I spend that much money going from my home in Georgia to Wilmington, Ohio and take a two man crew and furnish meals lodging etc. is the actual run made on a Saturday and do you know what day is the testing or try outs held at the speedway? My 04 GT is built for handling as much as speed but it can handle both. Where will you come from and are you thinking of anyone from the forum that wants to go working with each other as a support team?
Landspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Man not bad for the money. If a guy showed up with his log book would the still make you do there hp class?

To answer your question no. The first year I went I had my National SCCA license and log book, no dice, they view it like having your NHRA Comp License and trying to apply it to SCCA. In fact when I raced with the SCCA I had to cover my NHRA patch with tape on my drivers suit and helmet........go figure....after the first year you can enter any class you want..........assuming your car can pass tech for that class. Anything 130mph and over must have a cage.
You know just another thought, they do race twice a year now, I think in May. You could go in May, get the SSCC drivers thing out of the way then come back in September and race whatever class you desire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
That would be a lot of fun! But YIKES!!! It is sort of expensive!

If that was in Northern Nevada, I would totally be down to attend.

What is the Navigator Participation Fee all about Olerodder?
It's basically for another person participating in the event and being on the closed course. A little more expensive that it started out. The navigator is great because just like in World Class Rally, he/she can let you know ahead of time what curve is coming up and that really helps when you are doing 140mph+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
This seems fun & I'm on the west coast too but it does seem kind of pricey. Maybe in a couple of years!
No problem, this is the 25th year and I'm sure it will be around if you want to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeedracer View Post
I would definitely be in if my recovery from a light stroke on Christmas Eve goes well. Everything corrected its self am just weak and can't get my BP stabilized. The Mustang I am building in two phases and phase one was completed last Monday and #2 is to have a supercharger installed and will work out time wise perfectly with the Silver States event. I am building the car to be well rounded, drag racing, track events, landspeed events on 1/2 and 1 mile tracks, auto cross and anything else I can find to go fast in. I have been to two NASCAR Driving Schools. These weren't Petty follow the leader type schools. They were put on by the youngest son of Nascar legend Buck Baker. The advanced course was 60 laps around Atlanta Motor Speedway and after I figured out the best way to enter and come out of the turns I was averaging 172 MPH and change. I also hold six landspeed records but the only drawback is the driving distance to just get to Vegas. I spend that much money going from my home in Georgia to Wilmington, Ohio and take a two man crew and furnish meals lodging etc. is the actual run made on a Saturday and do you know what day is the testing or try outs held at the speedway? My 04 GT is built for handling as much as speed but it can handle both. Where will you come from and are you thinking of anyone from the forum that wants to go working with each other as a support team?
The last time I went (10 years ago) I actually took my drag car trailer/tow vehicle. I just want to make sure that if I broke I had a way to get myself and the car back home. A lot of guys that come long distance do that.
I will be coming from Southern Oregon and it's about a 16/17 hour pull with a trailer. I could probably do it in 15 hours in a car though. I was actually thinking of bringing someone, not sure who. I did kind of ask Soccerluvr4, but like me, I think he would rather be driving his Mustang than riding in one. We will see.
Here is a schedule of events starting on Thursday and ending on Sunday.

http://www.sscc.us/documents/global/...t_schedule.pdf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion