500HP 2.5L Ecoboost For '17 4 cylinder Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
500HP 2.5L Ecoboost For '17 4 cylinder Mustang?

Direct inject 2.5L twin turbo 500HP Ecoboost planned for Ford platforms.
Makes more sense to place it in the Mustang and it will kick *** in a whole new way done before.
I'm a V8 fan no matter HP numbers. I love them.
But that Ecoboost will take off hard and provide a power punch, F1 type feeling
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If 500hp from 2.5, wonder when 3.5 ecoboost will be upgraded?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhgt View Post
If 500hp from 2.5, wonder when 3.5 ecoboost will be upgraded?

New ford gt has a 600hp+ twin turbo 3.5...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
jer
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How about a source OP, anything with out a source is just speculation. I hope it isnt from HPK either.
HPK = Horse power kings aka click bait
jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

HPK is just a fake car news site.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I know Ford denied the rumors, but do you think the V8 is on borrowed time?
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Yes, when the oil runs out.
Which isn't actually a laughing matter. Your grandchildren will not own gasoline powered vehicles.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMO, the V8 is on borrowed time simply because you don't need a V8 to get "V8" power anymore. I mean you haven't for awhile but now its actually economical to mass produce.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
New ford gt has a 600hp+ twin turbo 3.5...

Adventure till you drop
Very nice, there is likely room for more HP from 3.5 as well.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

A built twin turbo 3.5L, if done right, is going to be a 600-700rwhp capable motor damn near right out of the box.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The car industry works on "trickle down" technology. All you have to do is look at the exotic car companies to see what's coming down the pipeline for the "peasant" car companies. How many big v12 engines do you see in exotics now? Last I checked maybe 1 or 2 (probably none now). V12's are being phased out for turbo v8's and v6's. That means in a few years the V8's will be phased out for the turbo 4 and 6's. They will probably still be offered in Ford's line up as an option, but marketed like the 3.7 is today in the 2015 Mustangs.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
You guys are all losing touch with your nuts here. There is no replacement for displacement. You got that?

500 hp from a 2.5L ecoboost?
***** please. Double that displacement.
5.0 Ecoboost.

They already have a 707 hp hellcat. You want it to stop at that?

If there is any reason for 1000cc sport bikes to exist, then you shouldn't be accepting the demise of our V8 cars quite yet. For Christ's sake, our cars cant even wheelie in stock form yet. Sport bikes have been doing that for 50 years. Don't give up that easy guys cmon.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

We are aware of where the auto industry is heading. You don't need large displacement engines to get hp like back in the old days. Now we have 310hp 4 cylinders and 600hp 6 cylinders, that's in v8 territory. They are lighter and get better mileage, and can be less expensive to maintain. Did anyone think, in 2010, that ford would produce a 4 cylinder with the same area of power figures as the gt, five years later? No. Now we have a 310hp 4 cylinder and rumors of a turbo six cylinder coming later on. Let's face it, the bigger engines are not going to be around forever. I wouldn't be surprised if no one had v8s being produced in 2035. And later on the gas engines will be replaced with electric batteries...
I don't like it but it's just where things are headed...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
You guys are all losing touch with your nuts here. There is no replacement for displacement. You got that?

500 hp from a 2.5L ecoboost?
***** please. Double that displacement.
5.0 Ecoboost.

They already have a 707 hp hellcat. You want it to stop at that?
The replacement for displacement is called technology. I doubt you will ever see the day when a car as mass produced as the Mustang GT (for 30k) is going to come standard with 700+ HP. From Fords perspective its just not practical. The majority of buyers probable wouldn't even be able to drive it on the street without wrapping it around a pole.

I mean look at a 2005 GT and compare it to a 2011 V6. I understand people love their V8's but from a pure practicality standpoint. Both cars make 305 HP, the V8 gets 17/23 mpg, and the V6 gets 19/31. From a performance standpoint both cars can easily handle 4-500 hp. If you really compare the 2 and get over the 'oh its just a V6 mentality' it really is impressive how far Ford came in a matter of years regardless of if you want admit it. I swear if Ford put the 5.0 from a 90's GT some people would take a 215 HP 5.0 over a 315 HP 4 cylinder just to say they have a V8.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
The replacement for displacement is called technology. I doubt you will ever see the day when a car as mass produced as the Mustang GT (for 30k) is going to come standard with 700+ HP. From Fords perspective its just not practical. The majority of buyers probable wouldn't even be able to drive it on the street without wrapping it around a pole.

I mean look at a 2005 GT and compare it to a 2011 V6. I understand people love their V8's but from a pure practicality standpoint. Both cars make 305 HP, the V8 gets 17/23 mpg, and the V6 gets 19/31. From a performance standpoint both cars can easily handle 4-500 hp. If you really compare the 2 and get over the 'oh its just a V6 mentality' it really is impressive how far Ford came in a matter of years regardless of if you want admit it. I swear if Ford put the 5.0 from a 90's GT some people would take a 215 HP 5.0 over a 315 HP 4 cylinder just to say they have a V8.
Take your "technology" and add cubes. its always going to be better with more cubes. there is no getting around that.

You are also forgetting how much more reliable an NA v8 is than a 4 cyl on seroids. And how much broader the power band and torque curves are on V8s. Once top fuel drag starts using Turbo Prius engines, I will cave in and say you have a point. Until then, cubes will always make everything better.

More cubes sucking in more gas/air = more power
More con rods dividing that power = more reliability
More reliability = can make more power

Technology can improve things, but not avoid the fact that V8s will always always always have way more power. all things being equal.

I really resent the fact that people these days think increasing technology is always a better solution than using common fkcing sense and keeping the basics in mind.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Take your "technology" and add cubes. its always going to be better with more cubes. there is no getting around that.

You are also forgetting how much more reliable an NA v8 is than a 4 cyl on seroids. And how much broader the power band and torque curves are on V8s. Once top fuel drag starts using Turbo Prius engines, I will cave in and say you have a point. Until then, cubes will always make everything better.

More cubes sucking in more gas/air = more power

More con rods dividing that power = more reliability

More reliability = can make more power

Technology can improve things, but not avoid the fact that V8s will always always always have way more power. all things being equal.

I really resent the fact that people these days think increasing technology is always a better solution than using common fkcing sense and keeping the basics in mind.
If thats the case why don't we all just use a 25L 30 cylinder engine?

I'm always going to be a V8 die hard... You are right about the power being more reliable, but think back to the foxes and the old 5.0. Those were V8s, so they had bigger cubes and more distribution of power through more cylinders, but they couldn't take power for crap. Anything over 450 and the block will blow up.

When you get to a certain point in technology such as forged steel internals no matter the size of the engine it can pretty much take whatever you want to throw at it, so needing the power dispersed through more cylinders isn't required anymore.

Oh and modern turbos will put out more torque than most NA engines are capable of. Example, my V8 has most of it's torque at 2500 rpm, a properly sized turbo will spool right around there so the band is just as broad.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

"No replacement for displacement". Sorry, welcome to 2015 guys... yes you will always get more power from more displacement but there is a point where it just means nothing anymore. Technology is there for a reliable, economical, affordable 400-500+rwhp powerplant in the 2-3 liter range not to mention having a turbo already on it means it is much more modifiable right out of the box and even more with the V6. As was already stated, the average driver doesn't need even half the power the new small displacement motors are putting out.

Ford will probably offer the Coyote as an "option" in coming years but I see it being phased out sometime in the S550 lifespan or becoming a more expensive/custom order option or it'll be offered in a special edition only like a "Bullitt" or something. Obviously the 5.2L in the GT350 is new but again, that is a special edition and that seems where the V8 NA tech is going, to high RPM road racers. And even then, the new Ford GT is going to be a 3.5L twin and I guarantee it'll make crazy numbers and run with the big boys.

In all honesty, it seems like people are most pissed about the V8 sound being gone. Well... there are plenty of really nice sounding Mustangs out there that can barely run a 14. I guess its good for other ppl to know how far back you are so they know when their point is proven and they can let off the gas in their tune only 4 banger running mid 12s lol.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I do like turbo charged I4s. I like the so much, that I like to have two of them under my hood connected to the same crank shaft
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

As much as I love the V8, with increasing emissions and gas standards, I really do think they will become hard to get.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Maybe the new F150 2.7 V6 twin turbo is headed towards our beloved Mustang in the near future.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

you guys are gonna make me cry. Come on. Ill take a 2.5L V8 as a compromise but a 4 cylinder?!?! D:
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'll take a tiny *** V8 too.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
"No replacement for displacement". Sorry, welcome to 2015 guys... yes you will always get more power from more displacement but there is a point where it just means nothing anymore. Technology is there for a reliable, economical, affordable 400-500+rwhp powerplant in the 2-3 liter range not to mention having a turbo already on it means it is much more modifiable right out of the box and even more with the V6. As was already stated, the average driver doesn't need even half the power the new small displacement motors are putting out.
Yep, "No replacement for displacement" seems to only be true for sound now. The power the I4 and V6 are achieving would be unthinkable a few years back.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

It's true though. No one wants their Mustang to sound like a Honda.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byock View Post
It's true though. No one wants their Mustang to sound like a Honda.
I think the 3.7 is a good sounding V6, not so sure the ecoboost sounds all that great. I think I would like the ecoboost to be quiet like it is stock than add any exhaust. Just that turbo sound is really nice. The ecoboost is still selling great because of the performance, mpg, and sweet looks, anyone looking for the usual roaring mustang can the GT.
It's great that there are choices, and I think everyone should be happy that all the engines are good performers.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Eco I4 does sound like a Honda. Don't like it? Still have the V6 and V8 options. All those complaining about it... you don't have to wait for the Coyote to go bye bye you know. There is also a ridiculously flooded market for the 11-14s that it seems a LOT of ppl still like way better than the 15. Get them while they're hot.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I looked at trading my v6 for a 14 GT. Prices are still pretty high. I might just wait for the 16 or 17 to see what new engine options are available.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The only reason to buy a muscle car is for the V8 IMO. Im going to start stock piling Vortecs, weiend 671s, and Holley Double Pumpers for safe keeping.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The V8 only mentality is a dying breed. This is 2015. Young children today who will be driving in the next 10-15 years isn't going to give a ***** about engine size. That V8 mentality is old school and dying out with the younger generations.

As long as that sucker is fast and gets good fuel millage this what people in the future will care about. A 500 HP V6 is 500 HP no matter how you cut it.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I looked at trading my v6 for a 14 GT. Prices are still pretty high. I might just wait for the 16 or 17 to see what new engine options are available.
What do you consider high prices? I'm seeing 11/12s with like 20k miles for $20k on multiple forums. 11/12 supposedly has a more durable interior and the front end looks better too IMO.

Quote:
The only reason to buy a muscle car is for the V8 IMO. Im going to start stock piling Vortecs, weiend 671s, and Holley Double Pumpers for safe keeping.
Honestly I'd be more worried about stockpiling vehicles than engines. Engines nowadays are going like 300k+ on routine maintenance especially those Vortecs. The trucks/cars... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The V8 only mentality is a dying breed. This is 2015. Young children today who will be driving in the next 10-15 years isn't going to give a ***** about engine size. That V8 mentality is old school and dying out with the younger generations.

As long as that sucker is fast and gets good fuel millage this what people in the future will care about. A 500 HP V6 is 500 HP no matter how you cut it.
Agreed that most ppl aren't going to care about a V8 "because V8" but "500hp is 500hp" is not exactly a good argument when there are so many other factors.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What do you consider high prices? I'm seeing 11/12s with like 20k miles for $20k on multiple forums. 11/12 supposedly has a more durable interior and the front end looks better too IMO.

Honestly I'd be more worried about stockpiling vehicles than engines. Engines nowadays are going like 300k+ on routine maintenance especially those Vortecs. The trucks/cars... not so much.

Agreed that most ppl aren't going to care about a V8 "because V8" but "500hp is 500hp" is not exactly a good argument when there are so many other factors.
Not really. Fast is fast. A 12 second 1/4 mile V6 or 4 banger is just as fast as a 12 second V8.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Not really. Fast is fast. A 12 second 1/4 mile V6 or 4 banger is just as fast as a 12 second V8.
Yeah but you were talking about hp vs hp, not timeslips. Not to mention even timeslip wise... you can have a 12 second peaky as hell rotary vs a 12 second 3.5L twin or a Coyote and the latter two are going to be MUCH better vehicles to drive on the street.

Like I said, lots of different factors.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes that's true but I think Scotty just means 2 different 500 HP cars don't necessarily mean same perfomance.

For whatever reason some V8 owners feel empowered to bash on every other engine that doesn't have 8 cylinders, regardless of performance. It's like someone in the early 1900s with a racing horse mocking the model T, just completely ignoring the engineering achievement that it is.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
Yes that's true but I think Scotty just means 2 different 500 HP cars don't necessarily mean same perfomance.

For whatever reason some V8 owners feel empowered to bash on every other engine that doesn't have 8 cylinders, regardless of performance. It's like someone in the early 1900s with a racing horse mocking the model T, just completely ignoring the engineering achievement that it is.
The horse probably wins that race lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« x- plan | My rims. »