Need help.... getting 5.0 tomorrow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Need help.... getting 5.0 tomorrow

Does the performance pack have wheel hop like the regular one or is it eliminated in the performance pack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BlueMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Sounds like your looking at a 15 since your calling it the performance package. From what everyone says, yes they all have wheel hop. The 15's are said to be the worst due to the IRS
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

Yeah I heard it didn't have it but some people online day it does

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

I want to hear it from someone who actually has it with the performance pack just do I can be sure

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Is that really going to effect your decision to buy it? Lol
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This seems like something you should work out well before the day prior to a $35k purchase...

You don't want wheel hop, find a mint condition 11-14 and pay $10-$15k less. And have a way better looking car too...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I think he is asking to see if its worth the extra couple grand for that option versus buying a standard GT and going aftermarket. If it was me I would get the standard GT and go aftermarket with the cash I saved. Also, while I like the 11-14 GT's, the 15's interior is absolutely amazing. Worlds better then the 11-14.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I think he is asking to see if its worth the extra couple grand for that option versus buying a standard GT and going aftermarket. If it was me I would get the standard GT and go aftermarket with the cash I saved. Also, while I like the 11-14 GT's, the 15's interior is absolutely amazing. Worlds better then the 11-14.
Bro thank you so much, you answered that perfectly

Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
True but it really depends what your goals are for the car and what your going to use it for. Like others said the question 'Is it worth it' depends on what your plans are for the car. And that should be something that you research and make a decision on instead on of saying "I have to make a decision now because I have to buy a car tomorrow although I am unaware of what I really want".

But to add some value to this post from looking at Fords website the GT performance package includes the following for $2500. There is no way you can do all of that aftermarket on a first year production car for 2500 plus you have the fact that its coming that way from the factory with zero potential impact on warranty. Will it completely eliminate wheel hop compared to a stock GT? Probable not. Although if you look at the performance aspect of the package if you want brembos and the higher gear ratios its worth it alone just for those two options.

• Strut-tower Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Brembo™ 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• 19” X 9” (F) 19” X9.5” (R)Gloss Black Aluminum Wheel (Summer Tires Only)
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
• 3.73 TORSEN® Rear Axle
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Spoiler Delete
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Need help.... getting 5.0 tomorrow

Performance companies are already offering kits for the S550. They have the same flaw as the new edge Cobras did. Replacing the bushings in the IRS help reduce wheel hop...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The wheel hop in the IRS is just like the wheel hop in the Cobras of 99-04. It can be cured with better bushings.

They put in bushings that are good for ride comfort. So for the pleasure of ride comfort you get wheel hop. Swap the bushings out and sacrifice a little comfort and you will cure the wheel hop.

As for if the option is worth it.... What i would personally do is leave the option off and make your monthly payments lower. Then you can pay off the car quicker and add in those same modifications if you actually need them. Some of those parts you don't need unless you track the car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
True but it really depends what your goals are for the car and what your going to use it for. Like others said the question 'Is it worth it' depends on what your plans are for the car. And that should be something that you research and make a decision on instead on of saying "I have to make a decision now because I have to buy a car tomorrow although I am unaware of what I really want".

But to add some value to this post from looking at Fords website the GT performance package includes the following for $2500. There is no way you can do all of that aftermarket on a first year production car for 2500 plus you have the fact that its coming that way from the factory with zero potential impact on warranty. Will it completely eliminate wheel hop compared to a stock GT? Probable not. Although if you look at the performance aspect of the package if you want brembos and the higher gear ratios its worth it alone just for those two options.

• Strut-tower Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Brembo™ 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• 19” X 9” (F) 19” X9.5” (R)Gloss Black Aluminum Wheel (Summer Tires Only)
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
• 3.73 TORSEN® Rear Axle
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Spoiler Delete
You can't just look at the $2500 difference and say "that's it". There are a lot of factors that options can affect. For example each option you add narrows the number of available cars in the market. Therefore dealers are less likely to negotiate a better price if they know there are only two in the area. If he got a regular GT he would stand a much better chance of being able to negotiate a better deal. Then that $2500 savings becomes more like 5 grand.

I agree that the performance pack has some good stuff, but in reality the only thing you are really paying for are the brakes.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

I agree with some of that, and frankly it's just something he is going to have to figure out once he gets there and picks out a few he would even consider. If he can get a performance package and doesn't plan on changing the wheels even for a little it oils be paid for between that and the brakes. Plus resale on a performance pack vs a regular gt are going to be a factor as well.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also think of this, all the aftermarket kits are brand new on the market, no idea what the durability will be like. Case in point, even the vaunted MM bushings (for the 99-04 IRS setup) have issues over time and it took a small time racing company, Full Tilt Boogie, to come up with a complete FULL fix after years of testing.

As far as the interior being worlds better... that's a personal thing, I'm a guy who was content with the SN95 interior for years lol. Has to be what the buyer wants in the end. The options on the perf package are nice, the brakes and the rear 3.73s alone probably are worth the $2500 but nothing there is going to cure wheel hop.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you take a 11-14 to an upholsterer and give him a $10k budget, you are going to have some pimp daddy **** that you cant even get in a Maserati. Coming from somebody who comes from a family with a few modern exotic cars and vehicles/boats with custom hand crafted upholstery. And besides, interior is fo girls. Aren't you just gonna gut the thing out and throw a cage in it? My idea of a nice interior is shiny sheet metal, switch panels, and a nicely painted roll cage lol.

There are 2 things that don't mean **** when you're dealing with a $10k-$15 price difference:
  • Paint color
  • Interior
There are much better reasons to buy the 15. Some driving styles do really well with IRS. The 15's body style looks great (and have potential to look absolutely wicked), the fact that you have a virgin car is important too. You know what you're dealing with. Buying a used sports car is kind of like marrying a girl who partied for 10 years while persuing a Bachelor's of Arts degree at a party school.

The bore might be a little worn out and theres probably been a few better "drivers" inside 'er. Plus you know the things had more than a few burnt rubbers
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

^The party analogy is kind of true, espeically with the older cars. Like that 50-something woman at the bar who is always trying to pick up 20-something guys by basically being like "you buy my drinks I WILL go home with you". Or whatever...

You can find real nice latemodel used cars though, you just need to try to get one from a forum member where you can see the history of the car since new and you know an enthusiast had it. There is no shortage of 07-up GT500s that are basically all mint/new condition because people with money had them and kept them in garages with all the best maintenance parts. Or a 11-14 automatic that is bone stock that you know someone just DD'd for 20-30k miles and might as well still be brand new itself.

But anyways, yes having a mint/virgin car... there is something to be said for that. One reason I'm waiting to see what the Alpha Camaro looks like/is priced at before I start making plans for my next sports car because its looking like its going to blow the current S550 out of the water. One thing Chevy did get right in the current iterations and the Vette is their IRS setup.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
You can't just look at the $2500 difference and say "that's it". There are a lot of factors that options can affect. For example each option you add narrows the number of available cars in the market. Therefore dealers are less likely to negotiate a better price if they know there are only two in the area. If he got a regular GT he would stand a much better chance of being able to negotiate a better deal. Then that $2500 savings becomes more like 5 grand.

I agree that the performance pack has some good stuff, but in reality the only thing you are really paying for are the brakes.
You can and should look at it as a 2500 option. I never understood why people feel have the "I am going to go buy a car tomorrow and pick one out on the lot I like". Especially with a new car, you can go to ford.com build a car take it to a dealer and wait 3 months and have it build how you want it. Its not a like a used car where its based on availability.

If you skim these forums the guys who get the best deal on cars are ones that due the research and look for a good deal instead of driving to a local dealership and picking one of the 5 they have on the lot. With today's technology you call look at basically any ford dealerships inventory online, see the rebates different regions are offering, etc. So first determine what you want then look for it and for the right price. If you have to drive 4-5 hours so be it. But there's no need to buy 8k in options because you want a 2500 option just because 'that's all that was available'. Maybe some people dont want to put in the time and that's fine. But I know if I am paying ~30-40 k for a car I am not going to settle and not get options I dont want nor am I going to pay for options I dont want/need.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

^word.

Join the mustang club of America and use your x plan. Get the car you want.

In my case I wanted a 14 and it was October and the 15's were already on the lots. I was still able to get the car I wanted but I had to call about 8 dealerships and that was really only to find the dealer who would actually track down the car I wanted. They will find what you want if your a serious buyer and they want to make some money. They had to go get my car three states away. But I'm very happy I got what I wanted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion