Blackwolf Performance Oil/Air separator kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Blackwolf Performance Oil/Air separator kit

What do you think?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425833288425.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	176967   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425833305110.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	176968  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1425833321818.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	176969  
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular
 
au01st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alexandria
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 869
Looks like a good way to introduce unmeasured air after the MAF sensor...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Have a Raxiom nav system? Hate having two antennas? Contact me to wire your nav thru your factory satellite radio antenna!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Looks like a good way to introduce unmeasured air after the MAF sensor...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No the negative PCV valve is capped to prevent unmetered air from entering AFR has been steady thru testing at idle and street.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Camp Pendleton North (San Clemente/Orange County
Region: California
Posts: 256
Does it actually do anything for you?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
Does it actually do anything for you?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah its great! I wish i had taken pictures but after 2.5k miles of driving without it, I opened the intake manifold and it was fairly dirty and gunked up underneath, then after installing the catch can i drove for another 2.5k miles and the inside was prefectly clean. The can catches a lot of excess blow-by.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Camp Pendleton North (San Clemente/Orange County
Region: California
Posts: 256
So just a portion of the air is diverted through the lines?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Yes the air from the BOTH positive PCV valves enters thru the lines and exits thru the breather. It utilizes both the passenger AND driver side PCV valves at the same time unlike most oil catch cans where you have to buy 2 to utilize both.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
DiESeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Richmond
Region: Virginia
Posts: 1,909
Here's my JLT oil separator. Just emptied it today after 1,300 miles of it installed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425839644.671808.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	176971


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular
 
au01st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alexandria
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 869
So if the air is only vented what is the purpose of the can? Seems like it's just a breather filter with an oil collecting unit and no air is returned to the intake?

And do you have any affiliation with the product?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Have a Raxiom nav system? Hate having two antennas? Contact me to wire your nav thru your factory satellite radio antenna!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: STL
Region: Missouri
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Looks like a good way to introduce unmeasured air after the MAF sensor...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is unmeasured in stock form, this just vents it instead while catching the oil.
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7: 13.2 @ 105
BBK Shorty, MRT H, Borla S, 3.55 Gear, MPT Tuned.
LiveWire003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Warfordsburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 152
Not to sure I am digin on that.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
So if the air is only vented what is the purpose of the can? Seems like it's just a breather filter with an oil collecting unit and no air is returned to the intake?

And do you have any affiliation with the product?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it vents the air but it also collects the Blow-by in the can... I'll be taking a 500 mile trip Tuesday so I'll empty it out and post some pics

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak 14 View Post
Not to sure I am digin on that.
What dont you like??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular
 
au01st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alexandria
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolfndn View Post
Yes it vents the air but it also collects the Blow-by in the can... I'll be taking a 500 mile trip Tuesday so I'll empty it out and post some pics

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I thought one of the benefits of a catch can was the maintaining of a bit of octane boost without the sludge? Crank case gas shouldn't be just plain air, which is the reason it is recirculated in the first place (emissions).

And what is your affiliation to the product?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Have a Raxiom nav system? Hate having two antennas? Contact me to wire your nav thru your factory satellite radio antenna!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Warfordsburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 152
I don't like the looks under the hood and it seems like it not a close circuit. Also will let gases out and that is the purpose of it being close. Not saying it does not work!!!
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I thought one of the benefits of a catch can was the maintaining of a bit of octane boost without the sludge? Crank case gas shouldn't be just plain air, which is the reason it is recirculated in the first place (emissions).

And what is your affiliation to the product?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am part of the Design team.
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
MustangDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Forest
Region: California
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Here's my JLT oil separator. Just emptied it today after 1,300 miles of it installed. Attachment 176971


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
+1
__________________
2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,448
Seems to be some confusion here.


In stock form, (metered) air comes IN the crankcase from the drivers side from the air intake, and OUT the passenger side flowing into the intake manifold. This is due to the intake manifold having significantly higher vacuum (post throttle body) then the intake (pre throttle body).


So, under this scenario you have fresh air flowing in, and contaminated PCV gases flowing out of the crankcase. The affects are cleaner emissions, but typically some "reduced" performance in the case of dirty valves, oil in the intake, and in excessive cases reduced octane if enough oil is present.


Your typical Catch can, like my Bob's firewall mounted unit, serves to still allow the stock system to actively pull those PCV gases out of the crankcase but allows that oil and gunk to fall out of suspension and into a can. In this case, only "clean" air is making its way back into your intake manifold, since the oil and gunk has had a chance to separate out.


VTA (vent to atmosphere) on the other hand, is where people just simply install breather filters on both valve cover fittings and cap the air intake / intake manifold. No metered air is going through the crankcase in this scenario, so there's no potential for vacuum leaks in doing this. The only downsides are potentially messy valve covers, and the system is no longer actively pulling a vacuum on the crankcase. It can be argued that most engine seals / piston rings prefer a vacuum to healthy operation, but that is not the point of this thread, I am just trying to cover the pros and cons of both.


This system is kind of a "meet in the middle" type deal. It is still 100% VTA, so no chances of vacuum leaks, but it gives the oily gases a chance to fall out of suspension into a can, instead of just venting all over the valve covers. Its not as cheap as just putting some filters on, but I would imagine if going VTA is your plan, this will be the better choice.






The only way to have a vacuum leak when going VTA is if you only vent one valve cover and leave the other attached to either the intake, or intake manifold.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Seems to be some confusion here.


In stock form, (metered) air comes IN the crankcase from the drivers side from the air intake, and OUT the passenger side flowing into the intake manifold. This is due to the intake manifold having significantly higher vacuum (post throttle body) then the intake (pre throttle body).


So, under this scenario you have fresh air flowing in, and contaminated PCV gases flowing out of the crankcase. The affects are cleaner emissions, but typically some "reduced" performance in the case of dirty valves, oil in the intake, and in excessive cases reduced octane if enough oil is present.


Your typical Catch can, like my Bob's firewall mounted unit, serves to still allow the stock system to actively pull those PCV gases out of the crankcase but allows that oil and gunk to fall out of suspension and into a can. In this case, only "clean" air is making its way back into your intake manifold, since the oil and gunk has had a chance to separate out.


VTA (vent to atmosphere) on the other hand, is where people just simply install breather filters on both valve cover fittings and cap the air intake / intake manifold. No metered air is going through the crankcase in this scenario, so there's no potential for vacuum leaks in doing this. The only downsides are potentially messy valve covers, and the system is no longer actively pulling a vacuum on the crankcase. It can be argued that most engine seals / piston rings prefer a vacuum to healthy operation, but that is not the point of this thread, I am just trying to cover the pros and cons of both.


This system is kind of a "meet in the middle" type deal. It is still 100% VTA, so no chances of vacuum leaks, but it gives the oily gases a chance to fall out of suspension into a can, instead of just venting all over the valve covers. Its not as cheap as just putting some filters on, but I would imagine if going VTA is your plan, this will be the better choice.






The only way to have a vacuum leak when going VTA is if you only vent one valve cover and leave the other attached to either the intake, or intake manifold.
Well said, explained it much better than myself lol.
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
TedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida/Ohio
Region: Florida
Posts: 227
I use a JTL and it works very well at catching oil.

Yesterday, I emptied the can and it was very hot. When I went to screw it back in to place, it slipped and fell under the car. I couldn't reach it without moving the car. Guess what? The car won't start with the oil-catch system open. I had to push the car. Once the can was screwed back on, everything was fine.
__________________
Become an Organ Donor today: http://donatelife.net/register-now/
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #21
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Richmond
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2
This is a great kit... I have it on my GT works extremely well way better than my old Mishimoto did (which was good too)
Fast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Here's my JLT oil separator. Just emptied it today after 1,300 miles of it installed. Attachment 176971

^My preference.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I use a JTL and it works very well at catching oil.

Yesterday, I emptied the can and it was very hot. When I went to screw it back in to place, it slipped and fell under the car. I couldn't reach it without moving the car. Guess what? The car won't start with the oil-catch system open. I had to push the car. Once the can was screwed back on, everything was fine.
Because massive vacuum leak.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I use a JTL and it works very well at catching oil.

Yesterday, I emptied the can and it was very hot. When I went to screw it back in to place, it slipped and fell under the car. I couldn't reach it without moving the car. Guess what? The car won't start with the oil-catch system open. I had to push the car. Once the can was screwed back on, everything was fine.

I would have held on to the original line just for events like this. Not common but helpful if you hang on to it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
MustangDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Forest
Region: California
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I would have held on to the original line just for events like this. Not common but helpful if you hang on to it.
Absolutely, I keep mine in the trunk in my tool kit just in case
__________________
2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
smurf stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,341
I think some people got a little confused as this is only capturing the crankcase pressure into a vented catch can. This is not like the oil separators from JLT or Bob's which recirculate it back into the intake manifold.
__________________
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Panama City
Region: Florida
Posts: 44
what would you all consider good pricing for this kit?
blackwolfndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It has to be competitive with the other solutions . so 100-140 range?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolfndn View Post
what would you all consider good pricing for this kit?
There's always the possibility of a better mousetrap, so your success in selling this product will rely heavily on its ability to work as good as the others, as well as it's price.

I've seen them range from a few dollars (being home made), up to fancy smancy eye candy billit ones in the hundreds range.

If you are simply after a functional catch can, then the price would have to be matching that way of thinking as well.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
MADSCOTSMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 77
Is it mounted somehow or simply free hanging like the JLT. I would consider it ONLY if it is mounted somehow with a bracket of sorts (And BLACK)
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JLT Oil Separator GrabberBlue5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 55 12-23-2015 11:35 AM
JLT Oil Separator 08Mustang 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 16 06-30-2012 08:56 AM
JLT oil separator Mustangpower5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 13 05-18-2012 11:32 PM
making a oil separator 03GT88 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 03-17-2012 05:39 PM
Oil separator? tea84 2011-2014 Mustang GT 6 02-10-2012 04:59 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:58 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.