What to buy: 2015 Ecoboost Premium vs. 2013-14 GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Region: Texas
What to buy: 2015 Ecoboost Premium vs. 2013-14 GT?

Yes yes I know, two very different cars for different purposes and all that. My question isn't whether an Ecoboost is comparable to a GT in terms of raw performance, nor is my question about whether a GT could potentially get the MPG of an Ecoboost. My dilemma is this: around Christmas time I will have saved up enough for a down payment on a new Mustang as my '07 V6 is getting a little long in the tooth. My price range will be about 27-29K max which will be enough to net me either a brand new Ecoboost Premium or a 2014 GT. There are pros and cons on both sides but what it really come down to is whether or not the new body style is worth getting onboard with over the solid-axel GT. Opinions are appreciated, especially if you are a driver of a '15. Thanks!
lwillow2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it's the V8 that is worth the $
Old 03-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I had the same struggle when I went to buy mine. I test drove a 15 (ecoboost) and then a used 14 GT (because the dealer didn't have a new one on the lot for me at the time). I felt like the 15 was a bigger car, heavier, and I was still not 100%sold on the design of the 15.

Pros I found on the 15, lots of nice creature comforts like back up cam, push button start blah blah blah.

I feel like the 14 represented the original mustangs better. I once had a 69, and it kind of felt like that car only new modern and better. The 15 felt like a foreign car to me. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car. I'm in no way knocking it. Just wasn't the better option for me.

Have you driven either? No one can tell you what to do. It really depends on what you want. I will tell you that you should figure out why it is you want a mustang, what appeals to you..then make a decision on which way to go.

For me the 14 was a winner. I love the look, love the feel. I kind of wish the S197 had IRS, but I plan to do a watts link set up from Steeda and I should really have the best of both worlds. I also appreciate the fact that s197 parts are out there and easy to come by. The 15 will take some time to catch up in the aftermarket world. Not to mention those new model woes we all see happen when a car company redesigns a car entirely. My .02
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Do you think the GT will retain it's value better over time?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwillow2113 View Post
Do you think the GT will retain it's value better over time?

They ALWAYS do
Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply oxford! That actually brings up another point I hadn't previously considered, the the turbo 4 will likely be a lot more difficult to fiddle with and squeeze extra performance out of than the coyote 5.0.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the reply oxford! That actually brings up another point I hadn't previously considered, the the turbo 4 will likely be a lot more difficult to fiddle with and squeeze extra performance out of than the coyote 5.0.

They can make good power, and I'm sure there will be kits and tuners and all kinds of fun stuff out there to make them go fast. But the money spent to get a ecoboost to the same level as a coyote starts...well it's prob more than the cost of getting a GT out of the gates. It's hard to deny the power potential a coyote can offer and handle. Guys on here are putting 600+HP on the ground like its nothing. Ecoboost can prob do it. But now your not driving a daily driver. A coyote with a blower can still be a daily.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Region: Ohio
I faced the same dilemma. My choice was picked up today, a 2015 Ecoboost Premium in Guard Metallic w/Performance Pack. Beautiful car and all the power I need for a daily driver here in Ohio. I traded up from a 2006 Miata GT which I loved (it was my second Miata) but it was getting long in the tooth and so am I. I think the Mustang will be every bit the fun the Miata was. I drove a GT in January and had a hard time keeping the P Zero's from spinning constantly. At 10 degrees they are rock hard. Looking forward to lots of good info from this site.
mtwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I think for me the only down side was the summer only tires (and not run flats). But I got it anyway. Can alway change out the tires.
HP435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Tuners are already pushing well past 400whp with a turbo back exhaust and a tune. Power out of the Ecoboost is not an issue.

That said, I'd get the 11-14 GT.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
They ALWAYS do

I don't know about that. You can't just say GTs sell for more used because they cost more originally. If you take the market value of a used v6 and GT and then original msrp and take the % the vehicle has depreciated it will be similar.

When it comes down to it mustangs are an incredible popular car and there is a market out there for v6/ ecoboost models as well as the gts.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
GT of course.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I don't know about that. You can't just say GTs sell for more used because they cost more originally. If you take the market value of a used v6 and GT and then original msrp and take the % the vehicle has depreciated it will be similar.

When it comes down to it mustangs are an incredible popular car and there is a market out there for v6/ ecoboost models as well as the gts.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Maybe for the first 4-5 years, but after that you will always have a stronger market for someone looking for a GT as a weekend car or a car they can build to race ect. I can't see that same following for a v6 or Eco boost.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I think the resale value can depend on the area and the current trends in the performance market.

I often converse with the assistant sales manager (who I bought my truck from) at my local Ford dealer and he's told me based off their sales history over the years that people buy new v6's, but they sell or locate used v8 cars.

Mainly because people buying the v6's are using them as a daily and usually trade in after 3-5 years. The v8 buyers are more particular and want a specific model, trim, options etc based on their plans to modify the car or surprisingly for collector status.

To answer your question, I'd choose the GT...as stated there is a solid aftermarket for the ecoboost already but the GT powerplant is such a good bang for your buck.

Not to mention easier to sell down the road. Just like the 3.5 Ecoboosts in the F150, there is a large percentage of buyers that don't want anything to do with a turbocharged engine, so they choose the N/A 5.0

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just me but I think the 13-14's are the pinnacle of Mustang production. The 15 is nice but frankly if I had the choice of either one new,I'd take a 14 over a 15 in a heartbeat.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Just me but I think the 13-14's are the pinnacle of Mustang production. The 15 is nice but frankly if I had the choice of either one new,I'd take a 14 over a 15 in a heartbeat.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but just curious what your reasons are for saying so. I personally feel like the 14 and 15 body styles both have their unique strengths and weaknesses aesthetically. For instance I think the rear end of the 15 is dead sexy.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Most ppl I know hate the S550 rear end. I personally think the 11/12 cars look better than the 13/14. More aggressive front end and the 13/14 tail lights are a direct swap to 11/12 although the aero lights are underrated.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you at all, but just curious what your reasons are for saying so. I personally feel like the 14 and 15 body styles both have their unique strengths and weaknesses aesthetically. For instance I think the rear end of the 15 is dead sexy.
I'm kind of laughing right now. The rear of the 15 is what I really don't like as compared to the 14. Especially the tail lights. Just shows how we all look at things differently. But its all good.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I love everything about my 2015. I guess that is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
People have been finding that heat soak is a major problem with the eco-boost, which is not a problem with the free breathing 5.0. In a few years, the eco-boost will likely be a viable option, but the aftermarket needs time to mature (since most people do not want to fabricate all of their own parts).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
People have been finding that heat soak is a major problem with the eco-boost, which is not a problem with the free breathing 5.0. In a few years, the eco-boost will likely be a viable option, but the aftermarket needs time to mature (since most people do not want to fabricate all of their own parts).
Bigger intercooler and possible an oil/water cooled turbo upgrade. If they aren't already anyway.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Problem with the larger intercooler idea is that anything larger than the original intercooler is blocked from additional airflow by the front crash structure. So we will likely see either creative ducting and diffuser elements, custom hoods and top mount intercoolers, or people removing their front crash structure.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Problem with the larger intercooler idea is that anything larger than the original intercooler is blocked from additional airflow by the front crash structure. So we will likely see either creative ducting and diffuser elements, custom hoods and top mount intercoolers, or people removing their front crash structure.
Yep. Bigger intercooler and mods to get the air in.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
i prefer the gt
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Bigger intercooler and possible an oil/water cooled turbo upgrade. If they aren't already anyway.
Most systems nowadays already do.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Yes yes I know, two very different cars for different purposes and all that. My question isn't whether an Ecoboost is comparable to a GT in terms of raw performance, nor is my question about whether a GT could potentially get the MPG of an Ecoboost. My dilemma is this: around Christmas time I will have saved up enough for a down payment on a new Mustang as my '07 V6 is getting a little long in the tooth. My price range will be about 27-29K max which will be enough to net me either a brand new Ecoboost Premium or a 2014 GT. There are pros and cons on both sides but what it really come down to is whether or not the new body style is worth getting onboard with over the solid-axel GT. Opinions are appreciated, especially if you are a driver of a '15. Thanks!
The real question is, Do you like the look of the 2015 body style better than the 2014 body style? Only you can answer that question. :beer:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The ecoboost already has a big aftermarket setup. Just need to look In the right place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The ecoboost already has a big aftermarket setup. Just need to look In the right place

Yeah but its a sissy 4 cylinder! I want my v8 rumble when I "take on ramps"! Murica!!

In all seriousness that seems to be the biggest hurdle the automakers are going to have to figure out in the near future when federal regulations and just flat out cost dictate that we go completely more "European" as far as our powerplants with no V8 option or one that is very $$$. Like ppl are losing their **** over the Ecos in the F-150 even though they are better powerplants.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I want one, the premiums are 30-32k here. But I'm not getting rid of my coyote for one I know that.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah but its a sissy 4 cylinder! I want my v8 rumble when I "take on ramps"! Murica!!

In all seriousness that seems to be the biggest hurdle the automakers are going to have to figure out in the near future when federal regulations and just flat out cost dictate that we go completely more "European" as far as our powerplants with no V8 option or one that is very $$$. Like ppl are losing their **** over the Ecos in the F-150 even though they are better powerplants.
I disagree there. The Ecoboost is quick but not better. It tends to get worse Mpg than the 5.0, and for people concerned about power, they're comparing boosted 6 vs na8. Idk why the hell were shooting for all of these regulations. What the **** for? Have you seen the pollution China generates in their country from stealing all of the manufacturing jobs from the US and having no regulations for the environment? They wouldn't follow them even if there were regulations and who would enforce it anyhow? Us?

And how I don't want to go off on a tangent. Overall though stock for stock, they're close with the edge to the turbo6 but as usual, there is more potential in the 8.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm old but I still think more cubic inches is better. 302 good 427 better!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP435 View Post
I'm old but I still think more cubic inches is better. 302 good 427 better!
And then when that lil 302 pulls buss lengths on that 427.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The 5.0 is great I love mine. But Shelby is using the 5.2L more cubic inches more potential.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
The 5.0 is great I love mine. But Shelby is using the 5.2L more cubic inches more potential.
Lol .2 more liters is not going to do anything. They are getting the power out of that with a completely new design and a LOT of RPM.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True but 15-16 cubic inches won't make much of a difference.
Big cubic inch motors are a thing of the past.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion