To refurbish or buy new? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Region: Texas
To refurbish or buy new?

So here is my dilemma. For the past 8 years I have been the proud owner of an '07 V6. This thing and I have been places together and I've put some work into it. Nothing crazy but I swapped on a GT front end, put on a cold air, and got some custom stripes painted onto the blue coat. As it was my college car it is currently running on 120K miles but still running like a champ. Recently after landing a pretty decent job I have been researching trading up to a 13-14 GT. While these can be found for very decent prices in great shape I got this crazy idea today. Instead of buying brand new would it be a more viable (and cooler) option to simply refurb my '07? I'm talking the works. New power train, suspension, possibly an engine swap up to an 8 cylinder, a new paint job to keep it feeling fresh. I don't have a ton of custom experience but is this anywhere close to feasible? The benefit of course being that I can upgrade as time and money permit and not get pulled into a scary financing situation with a new car. Opinions are appreciated!
lwillow2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I'd say that's a waste of money on an 07 v6.

You will never get 0.01 back out of anything you do to that car. I'd keep saving, drive that thing till it dies and then take that cash and put it into something better.

I'm not knocking your car, just saying that's not the best platform to dump cash into
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
New car... I wouldn't sink all that money in that cat as it's not very cost effective.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If the car holds a great deal of sentimental value to you, and you have the money, then I say go for it. Will you ever recoup what you put into it? Absolutely not, but maybe you're not concerned about that.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dump the v6 for a GT
Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you have money for a project car, then go for it.

Otherwise, trade it in for a 5.0 or do I'm doing, paying this off, using it as a DD till God knows when, and buy a 5.0/other V8 sports car when I reenlist.

Sent from my iPhone

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Is the car currently paid off?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

It is.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You'll spend way more money swapping to a Coyote and all the supporting parts than you would just buying a 11-14 Coyote. You can get a real clean low mileage base model 2011 for under $20k now if you look.

I know you have some sentimental value to your 07 though, why not keep it and use it as a DD and get the Coyote for clear weather driving? If its paid off its probably real cheap to insure and you won't get hardly anything in trade for it at a dealer or selling it privately.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

To refurbish or buy new?

Double post.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Scotty, I have to believe the V6 would serve to at least knock a few K off the total price of the Coyote.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

He will be into it for well over $20k especially if he has a shop do the conversion. And then have an 07 V6 with all that money into it when he could have a car 7 years newer for less money and not have to worry about any swap stuff or paying a shop or anything. He honestly probably could get $3k for his car if its in good shape. If financing, I'd go take advantage of really low used car loan rates at a local credit union and then sell the 07 once he gets his Coyote and use that money for exhaust/suspension/tune on it.

There is always the option of a brand new 2015 also if you can get over the Fusion body style or wait for the LT1 Camaro to drop because its probably going to be faster.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would get a GT
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Why not keep this one for a daily and get the V8 for fun?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

08ish Shelby's are coming down in price too!

Sent from my XT1064 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Get a 13/14 5.0 and don't look back. You'll make even more memories... At a much faster rate, no pun intended
Old 04-10-2015, 01:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would say keep the v6, and save or put some money down on a new GT. If the v6 has sentimental value hold onto it and rebuild it later on when parts are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kkraut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
08ish Shelby's are coming down in price too!

Sent from my XT1064 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Not really... not for a lightly properly modded or stock one with under 30k miles on it. I mean they ARE a little but you'll still pay $10k more for an 07-09 GT500 than you would for a newer/lighter/faster Coyote.

That said, I think the 07-09 GT500 is one of the BEST looking Mustangs ever.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Not really... not for a lightly properly modded or stock one with under 30k miles on it. I mean they ARE a little but you'll still pay $10k more for an 07-09 GT500 than you would for a newer/lighter/faster Coyote.

That said, I think the 07-09 GT500 is one of the BEST looking Mustangs ever.
Only argument you could make for the gt500 is that you could make more for cheaper and more reliably than the 5.0. Transmission is better than the mt82 and the internals are forged.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Only argument you could make for the gt500 is that you could make more for cheaper and more reliably than the 5.0. Transmission is better than the mt82 and the internals are forged.
Not necessarily. Internals on the GT500 are only really safe for another 50-100hp over the 11-14 GT and the GT500 internals are not true forged. The rods are the same style powdered metal as the Boss and the S550 Coyotes and are "sinter forged" not true drop forged. People usually tune the GT500 low/mid 700s "safely" with a blower swap... which they need because the stock blower is a heat soak machine.

Transmission... the GT500 had its share of issues... plenty of issues actually.

1 - Is that the stock clutch in 07-09s is a ceramic puck single disc clutch. This is great for hard launches/beating on the car but for normal street driving there were a ton of issues with warping flywheels and damage to the trans. Ford released 4 TSBs on it and the final solution was to change to the 2010 clutch which is basically a Ford copy of the McCleod RST. Most of the properly taken care of 07-09 cars with more than 10-15k miles have had the clutches/flywheels changed out to the McCleod RXT/Flywheel combo which is a $1500 combo in just parts not including labor to install it.

2 - Said problematic stock flywheel/clutch design along with a HORRIFIC stock shifter induced problems with 2nd gear. If you are buying a 07-09 GT500, there is actually a well documented procedure straight from Ford on how to test the 2nd gear syncrho for damage. Any prospective purchaser should have this memorized or written down when they go look at a GT500 for purchase.

3 - The stock shifter was actually so bad that MGW had to go through 2 revisions to get a shifter that worked (like the MT82) and the MGW2 GT500 shifter should literally be THE first mod done to the car if it isn't on there already. If you look at the stock shifter, and how it is designed you'll see what I mean. It is terribad like... really bad.

4 - Like all 6060s, the transmission in the GT500 has very small engagement teeth on the synchros which was done on purpose to make more space for larger/stronger gears. This is great... until you miss a shift and shear the little teeth right off the syncrho. Not saying it will happen if you miss ONE shift but they are not as durable as they probably should be.

Now that I've written a dissertation on the GT500 trans... remember that MGW has also documented how well the MT82 does with the new shifter and a lot of ppl on here have had good luck with the MT82 even on Barton/Steeda shifters. It is becoming more and more apparent that the MT82 is actually a really REALLY good transmission with a very good ratio setup for the Coyote. It just has a dog**** shifter setup from the factory. Like I said, the aftermarket has already taken care of this in the Coyote and the GT500.

ALSO... for those of us like me who have knee issues or for ppl who spend a lot of time at the 1/4 mile... no automatic option on the GT500 which kind of sucks because the car is basically setup for straight line bruising which is where the auto shines. Especially the 6R automatics in the Coyotes. The 6R is probably the best transmission Ford has ever put in a Mustang.

Value wise, the Coyote is the better buy in every way/shape/form vs the GT500. However... that does not mean it is the better buy for a specific person who just wants one to have a Shelby or that look or for whatever reason. There is a glut of GT500s and Coyotes out there right now. You should not pay more than $30k for a GT500 in really good shape and not more than $20-$22k for a similar Coyote. Or $25k for a well modded Coyote. I just saw a Lava Red 2012 Roushcharged GT with 25k miles sell for $25k on SVTP, thing was mint. They are out there, you just have to look and be willing to travel/potentially fly out and drive back.

/rant/thread/termpaper

Old 04-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
get a 13 gt, keep the ole v6 for sentimental purposes
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion