So, a cop pulled my brother over today (in my car) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So, a cop pulled my brother over today (in my car)

My brother took my car out for a dentist appointment- his only reason was that he didn't feel like driving our Tacoma for 30 minutes there and back. Haha.

Anyway, on his way back, he was pulled over by a State Trooper. The reason? My taillights. The break lights didn't shine "red." I currently have the Raxion Gen5's equipped, and I assume he was referring to the white light that shines between the bordering red lights. This is itself odd simply because the white light only shines during reversing. My brother told me he was a nice guy (but apparently put his hand on his gun when he saw my brother's concealed carry license- so a bit jumpy), but this is a bit nit-picky in my opinion.

Reviewing the products page, I quote that these taillights are "DOT compliant under compliance# QR1200176."

Any thoughts guys? I'd rather not replace these $400 dollar taillights, and will likely fight this if I ever receive a ticket. As of now, my brother merely received a warning.

EDIT: I just found out that he was referring to the actual housing of the lights- not the light they produced. Apparently that has to be red.

Ford Racing CIA, X-Pipe, GT500 Takeoffs, Bama Tuned, X-Charger and Intercooler.
Tyrannax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
They are DOT legal. Take the ticket to court and show them and the ticket will get thrown out.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's for sure. This post was really more of a heads up to those who have these taillights. I called the DOT and double checked. They told me what I already knew, but going to court is still a pain. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll get stopped by the same guy again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannax View Post
That's for sure. This post was really more of a heads up to those who have these taillights. I called the DOT and double checked. They told me what I already knew, but going to court is still a pain. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll get stopped by the same guy again.
Did your brother for some reason put The car in park in traffic or something? Any reason for the reverse lights to light?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The Trooper was just being a nitpicky jerk. You're in the right and can back it up. If he ever pulls you over again and gives you a ticket, fight it in court.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Pics
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Did your brother for some reason put The car in park in traffic or something? Any reason for the reverse lights to light?
He was headed down the highway, so not that I know of. The cop was actually referring to the dark outer housing of the taillights though, not the actual lights themselves. Since the Gen5's emulate the newer taillights of today's mustangs, it really does not make sense.

Agreed Tym.

Waylap, they are the Gen5 taillights by raxiom.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannax View Post
My brother took my car out for a dentist appointment- his only reason was that he didn't feel like driving our Tacoma for 30 minutes there and back. Haha.

Anyway, on his way back, he was pulled over by a State Trooper. The reason? My taillights. The break lights didn't shine "red." I currently have the Raxion Gen5's equipped, and I assume he was referring to the white light that shines between the bordering red lights. This is itself odd simply because the white light only shines during reversing. My brother told me he was a nice guy (but apparently put his hand on his gun when he saw my brother's concealed carry license- so a bit jumpy), but this is a bit nit-picky in my opinion.

Reviewing the products page, I quote that these taillights are "DOT compliant under compliance# QR1200176."

Any thoughts guys? I'd rather not replace these $400 dollar taillights, and will likely fight this if I ever receive a ticket. As of now, my brother merely received a warning.

EDIT: I just found out that he was referring to the actual housing of the lights- not the light they produced. Apparently that has to be red.

If the lights are showing white to the rear (while going forward) they would be illegal in my state......BUT, if you can find and copy the DOT compliant sticker I would have that with me and politely show the officer. Hopefully he would understand......

Scotty in Seattle
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If the tail lights aren't sealed or mounted correctly and unintentionally emitting white light to the rear then it doesn't matter that the product is dot compliant. You may just need to tweak them or seal up the edges.
A state trooper stopping and letting your brother know about it and NOT writing a ticket is NOT a nit picky jerk. He's actually doing his JOB.
I love it when people get warnings and then bash the officer. Really? Where's the logic in that?
Imagine your job is state trooper, and I mean, your career..like long haul 20+ years... They tell you your job is to enforce traffic laws...you have a choice to write tickets or warnings...you choose warnings whenever possible...
And you're still a prick.
Eventually this actually really turns you into one, because?....
Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Agree with Waylap
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think the lights should have a DOT on them. I have these tail lights so I looked them up in the new AM Catalog that came today. It states on page A2 that they are FULLY DOT legal. Perhaps you could carry an AM Cat. in the glove box to show the next officer. I think I will as well just in case.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This is why I kept the DOT compliance card I got with my DEPO headlights in the glovebox with my information in case some cop was ever a prick about them although I don't know why a cop would care about a properly mounted set of projectors. I have ZERO idea why Raxiom products do not come with a DOT compliance card.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That might be a great ?? for them. I will try to contact AM about that and get back to yo'all

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've been driving the same route with my installed taillights for over a year now, so I am a bit surprised it took this long. I will certainly be carrying some form of proof.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You can carry a letter from Obama and it just doesn't matter if you walk behind your car, have someone turn them on and also press the brakes. If it's shining white light back at you for whatever reason, then it's gonna get attention from the po po.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

He actually wasn't complaining about any white light. He was referring to the black housing of the taillights.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
If memory serves me right, DOT compliance is not always state compliant. An example is that even factory exhausts can get the driver a ticket, if they exceed the state or city noise restrictions. From a federal web site on DOT regulations
Quote:
In the U.S., some state laws and regulations are enacted which are more stringent that the federal laws. These laws include regulations for products, labeling, packaging, chemical restrictions, etc. California and New York are heavily regulated for many consumer products.
So even if a part is DOT compliant, it may still be illegal depending on the local authority. The trooper was being courteous. If you go waving some paper to the wrong one, it could prove costly. And even if the state has no issue with the part, if it is installed improperly, it is still illegal. A prime example of this is headlights. Even factory headlights are illegal if they are not properly adjusted.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Lol people are not reading the thread because they are still talking about white light when you already stated that's not the issue.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I've been pulled multiple times for headlights and taillights on my previous vehicle. Because of the blacked out areas. But I have either fought and won every time or had the cop not write the ticket because they had DOT stamped on them. Now I did pull a stock pair of headlights apart and paint them black INSIDE the housing and installed projector retrofits. But they still said DOT approved

Cops always said well I believe you have altered these...I said hmm interesting, I don't recall doing anything but I suppose you can write me a ticket and I will show the judge a picture of the DOT stamp and see what he says (respectfully, not as a smart ***)

And they usually let me go. But you can easily fight a ticket if they are as they should be with the DOT. Your bro got a warning because the cop knew it would get tossed out. My guess is that he was board and thought he would use that "reason" to pull your bro over to see what he was about. Once he realized he wasn't going to find anything else he reverts back to the light issue which was his probable cause in the first place, then acted like he was giving a break but in reality was never planning on writing a ticket for that and is way too lazy to do so anyway.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
If memory serves me right, DOT compliance is not always state compliant. An example is that even factory exhausts can get the driver a ticket, if they exceed the state or city noise restrictions. From a federal web site on DOT regulations

So even if a part is DOT compliant, it may still be illegal depending on the local authority. The trooper was being courteous. If you go waving some paper to the wrong one, it could prove costly. And even if the state has no issue with the part, if it is installed improperly, it is still illegal. A prime example of this is headlights. Even factory headlights are illegal if they are not properly adjusted.
Just because an item is DOT compliant, that doesn't mean it's still legal in other states. Just like federal law, that is a starting point, the very minimum the item has to be. The states can require further restrictions on vehicle operated in their state.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
The Trooper was just being a nitpicky jerk. You're in the right and can back it up. If he ever pulls you over again and gives you a ticket, fight it in court.
Little bit confused but the trooper issued a warning so why was he a jerk???? What made the trooper a jerk during this story? The OP wrote that according to his brother the trooper was being nice so why do you call him a jerk?

Just curious.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:49 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Little bit confused but the trooper issued a warning so why was he a jerk???? What made the trooper a jerk during this story? The OP is wrote that according to his brother the trooper was being nice so why do you call him a jerk?

Just curious.

Have a great day!
Good point. Sometimes how we act to a police officer goes a long way.

With the recent events going against police officers reputations these days, a bit of "nice" can work to our advantage.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Well... a lot of the stuff going against cops these days is caught on camera and well deserved... but yes the majority of cops are good people but a few bad apples are really putting a lot of negative public perception on them.

No matter how big of a jerk the officer is being, just always take the high road. You can always set your smartphone to record audio or if you have a dashcam you can turn it sideways and let him/her know you are filming.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well... a lot of the stuff going against cops these days is caught on camera and well deserved... but yes the majority of cops are good people but a few bad apples are really putting a lot of negative public perception on them.

No matter how big of a jerk the officer is being, just always take the high road. You can always set your smartphone to record audio or if you have a dashcam you can turn it sideways and let him/her know you are filming.
Are there bad cops out there? You bet ya. There have been tons of sex sandals with the catholic church over the years but does that make majority of priests bad and love touching little boys. No! There are bad doctors, bad teachers, bad mechanics, bad surgeons, bad every profession.

You are dealing with human beings and all of their imperfections. The police profession is a horrible, rewardless career path in my opinion. Not a day goes by that I don't say to myself, why didn't I listen to my parents and take my education more serious. It's a position in society that no matter what they do, they will be disliked and hated and everybody is an expert on police tactics.

I say its time the police turn their heads to crime and let society fend for themselves. Let the animals run the zoo and see how well that works! Truth be known, cops tend to be their worst enemies and bring on many issues themselves.

Stop trying to be the cowboy who saves the day and the public loves. Society over all hates the police and always will. The police are not there to be warm and fuzzy. The police are there to keep society in check and its a dirty job that bad things happen.

Less is more!

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Sorry I stick up for cops most of the time but this type of **** is just stupid. It's a tool used to look into the driver and look for anyone with warrants and other crap. Really stupid because while a cop is *****ing about **** like this, someone is out there getting raped, stabbed, shot, etc. Granted he's never aloud to use force on anyone anymore without that being a big deal either which is also bull****.
As much as this video is bull**** and gives a bad name to car lovers, I hope that cop was the one in the video.
https://youtu.be/ChhrN9iPxs4
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Sorry I stick up for cops most of the time but this type of **** is just stupid. It's a tool used to look into the driver and look for anyone with warrants and other crap. Really stupid because while a cop is *****ing about **** like this, someone is out there getting raped, stabbed, shot, etc. Granted he's never aloud to use force on anyone anymore without that being a big deal either which is also bull****.
As much as this video is bull**** and gives a bad name to car lovers, I hope that cop was the one in the video.
https://youtu.be/ChhrN9iPxs4
If your vehicle was in compliance then the officer wouldn't have probable cause to pull anyone over. Warrants and Other Crap are called Criminal Violations. If your going to drive and aren't in compliance with the Vehicle Code, it's your own fault if you get caught!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I have heard that same Ole song and dance but I know a few cops that will admit they will nitpick to pull someone over. Obviously in this guy's situation, the cop needs educated as they're approved already for use. There needs to be a penalty imo for wasting people's time. His time would be better suited investigating cases that will sit in a filing cabinet for eternity because there will never be the time or manpower to look into them.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
If your vehicle was in compliance then the officer wouldn't have probable cause to pull anyone over. Warrants and Other Crap are called Criminal Violations. If your going to drive and aren't in compliance with the Vehicle Code, it's your own fault if you get caught!
Whatever man. Plenty of people are in compliance and they get pulled just because the cop wants to be nosy. I got pulled the first week I got my GT and it had 30 day tags on it about my window tint and it wasn't even tinted yet.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Any comments on why the cop pulled him over are guesses and speculation. None of us were there. There's no video posted.

This is a story of a guy who knew a guy that said he got pulled over for xxx reason.

People who have actually in real life done the job , may have insight or help explain things for all of you that like to comment on your knowledge of how cops think and work on a day to day basis without ever having even ridden with one for a shift or more, gone through any training or law enforcement education. Actually been in the drivers seat of a patrol car and turned on the lights while behind someone at 1a.m. And then walked to the drivers door, not knowing what the next 5 minutes will bring, all while securely knowing that whatever it is, the $17 an hour you're making is worth it.
This cop was described 3rd hand as "a nice guy" and gave a warning, not a ticket. Why don't some of you that think you could do better, step up?
Think you can get passed the hiring process, background check, academy, field training, actual job alone on the street AND the opinions and comments from the peanut gallery?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Any comments on why the cop pulled him over are guesses and speculation. None of us were there. There's no video posted.

This is a story of a guy who knew a guy that said he got pulled over for xxx reason.

People who have actually in real life done the job , may have insight or help explain things for all of you that like to comment on your knowledge of how cops think and work on a day to day basis without ever having even ridden with one for a shift or more, gone through any training or law enforcement education. Actually been in the drivers seat of a patrol car and turned on the lights while behind someone at 1a.m. And then walked to the drivers door, not knowing what the next 5 minutes will bring, all while securely knowing that whatever it is, the $17 an hour you're making is worth it.
This cop was described 3rd hand as "a nice guy" and gave a warning, not a ticket. Why don't some of you that think you could do better, step up?
Think you can get passed the hiring process, background check, academy, field training, actual job alone on the street AND the opinions and comments from the peanut gallery?
I think a lot of people could. You see how many poor officers are on forces around the country now. I know I could pass the training if I wanted to. I'm deployed right now but I don't want to be a cop when I leave the military. I have close friends that are cops and I've been with them on a patrol before. It was pretty interesting I must say, but not impossible.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It is hard to believe this thread is still going. IMO, all of the relevant points have already been vented. Now it's become drama, drama, drama. Let it go Louies. The higher ground awaits.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post

Very good points. I had gone through the physical test, written test, then on my background a misdemeanor that was supposed to be expunged never had been removed (weird since I could pass security clearance in the military lol). Long story short, I had to wait that process out to continue with the hiring process, when along came an opportunity that paid 80% more than a cop, so here I am today. I worry when this work will dry up. A police officer is a possible backup plan, but idk if I could still see myself doing it with the way things have been going. Hell idk if I would even pass the psychological evaluation.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #33
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'd like to thank to LEO who let me go but at 30 (or so) over in a town where limits are enforced.....I'm thinking car guy and the fact it was a limited access road with no other traffic. yep he had his gun out and Mud drives a Race Red Stang.....I did give him a little wave when I went buy.

as mentioned after getting pulled over your attitude matters

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion