Oh HELL NO!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Oh HELL NO!!

Just read this article...How can they possably think that it would be "OK" to ban people from working on their cars?!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
that will never happen...
Old 04-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The article is so misleading. Here's a quote
"American companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler all agree that working on your own vehicle should be punishable by law."
What they're actually supporting is that changing or altering your cars ECU in certain aspects should not be allowed.
The author of the article deliberately made inflammatory statements that "working on your car" would be illegal. That's how you get people f'ing pissed over nothing at all.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is a long list of big companies that have a lot of lobbying power.

Regarding the ECU's, I think that they are serious about this!
It is in their best interest to control the tuning aspect of the vehicles while they are covered under the factory warranty.
And when, or if, any of the automobile manufacturers decide that they want to offer an autonomous vehicle to the general public, they surely don't want anyone tampering with the electronics!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
The article is so misleading. Here's a quote
"American companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler all agree that working on your own vehicle should be punishable by law."
What they're actually supporting is that changing or altering your cars ECU in certain aspects should not be allowed.
The author of the article deliberately made inflammatory statements that "working on your car" would be illegal. That's how you get people f'ing pissed over nothing at all.
I reread it and caught that too. They start by saying making it illegal to WORK on the car but then go to flashing and reworking the ECU...which when done they can see its been done and void your warranties anyway.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Never going to happen, if somehow some law is passed it will not be enforceable. If somehow it is enforceable, I'll buy something that is grandfathered into being able to fix it myself and a bunch of parts cars to get parts from.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Ford makes aftermarket parts. (Ford Racing)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozny View Post
Ford makes aftermarket parts. (Ford Racing)

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
But they don't warranty the parts. Only the dealer who installs the parts will do work on it.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
First mistake, reading something written by yahoo autos and thinking it has merit.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
First mistake, reading something written by yahoo autos and thinking it has merit.
Lol 90% of stuff on the internet is bull****. I'm starting to hate it more and more and visit really specific sites more and more and only use facebook for networking. Worst are the current scaremongering nutrition/health sites where the Google U PhDs try to tell you that your doctor who went to actual medical school for a decade is lying and they know better.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Once you own the car they can't do ****. It's personal property.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's true.

But I wonder how the electronic copyright of the software works? Like Microsoft, there must be ways that they can protect their intellectual property...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:50 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
It's reasons like this that SEMA comes to our aid. They lobby for and with the aftermarket and consumer in the way of aftermarket performance parts.

Some time back, the government gave large tax breaks to automotive dealers to crush older cars (when they got traded in); this created a huge ruckus with the salvage yards, the collector car owners, the collector car industry, and anyone else that sold parts for old car restoration. SEMA was huge in getting this stopped. Unfortunately, a large number of collectable vehicles got crushed; lost forever.

Check them out (SEMA); better yet, support them by becomming a member.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It's reasons like this that SEMA comes to our aid. They lobby for and with the aftermarket and consumer in the way of aftermarket performance parts.

Some time back, the government gave large tax breaks to automotive dealers to crush older cars (when they got traded in); this created a huge ruckus with the salvage yards, the collector car owners, the collector car industry, and anyone else that sold parts for old car restoration. SEMA was huge in getting this stopped. Unfortunately, a large number of collectable vehicles got crushed; lost forever.

Check them out (SEMA); better yet, support them by becomming a member.
Way ahead of you on that. Its good to know something as large as SEMA is able to help out but the idea that they would even consider this is just appalling.
Even still with all their help the gov still cracks down on those who have modified their car.
A guy I knew in LA once started a petition and went up and down So Cal getting signatures going to car shows and such to show support for a "Modified Vehicle Registration" He wanted to find a middle ground. Allow those who wish to modify their cars, but when they do they need to pay an additional registration fee and they need to insure that their vehicle is not over a certain SMOG rating (however they measure the pollutants) by getting the car smogged once a year. It looked promising but not sure what happened to the whole thing as i fell out of the scene.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
One thing we all need to remember: our government currently owns/controls over 51% of the paying jobs in the U.S. They have some control, so it's very important that orgs such as SEMA are in place to represent the large mass of automotive enthusiasts such as ourselves. Its great that one or two folks wish to fight an issue, but the masses have a much better chance to defeat such a rule or law.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Working on your cars will not really change. There is no way to stop people from working on their cars, but it may be practical to establish limits. Anything that defeats a safety device is not allowed anyway. Affecting smog devices will cost you big time. And the fact is, they do not to do much to stop modifications to engines. It is possible to seal engines to where any unauthorized modification will brick the computers and make you get a replacement from the dealer.

It is not in the manufacturers best interest to stop mechanics, but they will have to make sure that any modifications or parts do not defeat legal standards. If you install a part that defeats the traction control and then sell the car, the lawyers will not only come after you, but will make the manufacturer the primary target.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

*UPDATE*

So this was posted up on Autoblog:
General Motors says it owns your car's software
Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Even if this **** does somehow pass, standalone systems will come out to put in place of the factory ECU.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
They've tried this for years! I think it's a rumor because about once a year I see this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion