Mustang 2015 Fastback V6 OR Fastback EcoBoost - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Mustang 2015 Fastback V6 OR Fastback EcoBoost

Mustang is my dream car. I got two quotas from dealers last week. One is for Fastback V6 $22200, the other is fastback ecoboost $23600. I saw some shared prices by others in autopriceshare are lower than mine. However, I think it is a fair price for me and dealers both. I compared the options difference between these two models and read some reviews about 2015 Mustang. However, I believe that the opinions from current Mustang owners are more valuable, Could any friends here give me some suggestions, V6 or EcoBoost?
norun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Is the ecoboost a premium w/ performance package? From what i read, the 2015 v6s no longer come premium and have no option of a performance pack. Any pics if either?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Given the prices he is quoting I'm sure both are base models; which if that's the case then they will probable have the exact same options aside from the engine. From the base model there are some options you can add to either but if you want to get a premium model that will only be available in the eco boost.

Also if your getting a lot of rebates I can see picking a car off the dealers lot but the prices you quoted seem to be MSRP. If thats the case and your planning on paying MSRP you would be better off going to Ford.com and building the car you want and having the dealer order it exactly how you want.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I went through the exact same problem....I chose the v6, it is the cheapest out of the three models. I tried the Eco it feels good! But the 4 banger doesn't sound to appealing so I went with the v6. Not so worried about the premium packages but those prices are cheap. Base Eco boost here in so cal goes for about 27 k. My v6 had a sticker price of 26. Regardless all 2015's feel good ! My buddy went for the 2015 GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would wait until the fall models come out. The base V6s will be dropped to close to 19K, making them a clear winner.

Interesting fact: Due to the smoother torque curve and better low rpm torque, the V6 gets consistently better gas mileage in normal driving as it can stay in 6th gear for most small inclines. The Ecoboost drops to about 22-23mpg the second the turbo engages and is tricky to hypermill with. The EPA MPG figures are basically for driving with the turbo off, which requires nearly flat ground. Given that the power is about the same and the ecoboost is also a potential repair waiting to happen around 100K miles (turbos to wear out), I'd go for the 19K end of year V6.

Then spend the difference on mods if you want. Win-win, IMO.

Also, if you run the V6, always use premum gas. the factory ratings are based on premium fuel and while it will run safely on 87, it will get 1-2 mpg less and develop just enough less power to make hypermilling difficult on actual hills. (by my calculations, about 10-15hp less)

Where I live, without premium fuel, I have a 4% grade on the way home. If I am below 72mph, the car eventually slows down to 60mph before the top of the hill and won't keep cruise control engaged it's lugging the engine so much (with bad fuel economy as expected). With premium, it maintains 69mph up the hill and *barely* keeps the cruise control engaged.

My average with premium in Los Angeles, commuting an hour each way to work is ~27mpg combined. (base model, stock tall gearing) If you check fuelly or other mileage tracking sites, the ecoboost models don't get that high in actual driving. My best, btw, was 34mpg from Los Angeles to Vegas non-stop. The V6 at 19K is an econobox destroyer that nobody sees coming.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
I would wait until the fall models come out. The base V6s will be dropped to close to 19K, making them a clear winner.

Interesting fact: Due to the smoother torque curve and better low rpm torque, the V6 gets consistently better gas mileage in normal driving as it can stay in 6th gear for most small inclines. The Ecoboost drops to about 22-23mpg the second the turbo engages and is tricky to hypermill with. The EPA MPG figures are basically for driving with the turbo off, which requires nearly flat ground. Given that the power is about the same and the ecoboost is also a potential repair waiting to happen around 100K miles (turbos to wear out), I'd go for the 19K end of year V6.

Then spend the difference on mods if you want. Win-win, IMO.

Also, if you run the V6, always use premum gas. the factory ratings are based on premium fuel and while it will run safely on 87, it will get 1-2 mpg less and develop just enough less power to make hypermilling difficult on actual hills. (by my calculations, about 10-15hp less)

Where I live, without premium fuel, I have a 4% grade on the way home. If I am below 72mph, the car eventually slows down to 60mph before the top of the hill and won't keep cruise control engaged it's lugging the engine so much (with bad fuel economy as expected). With premium, it maintains 69mph up the hill and *barely* keeps the cruise control engaged.

My average with premium in Los Angeles, commuting an hour each way to work is ~27mpg combined. (base model, stock tall gearing) If you check fuelly or other mileage tracking sites, the ecoboost models don't get that high in actual driving. My best, btw, was 34mpg from Los Angeles to Vegas non-stop. The V6 at 19K is an econobox destroyer that nobody sees coming.

I was meaning to wait lol. I got desperate so I got my mustang. I only put premium on my v6 it last. I get 17 mpg in city.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

My first ten or so tanks were terrible until I learned a few tricks:
- First off, keep the tires inflated just below or at maximum PSI. Ignore the sticker on the door jam. Low rolling resistance is key here.

- Empty or just the emergency supplies in your trunk = more mpg.

- Change your air filter every 6 months. The OEM one cleans the air better, and less dirt in your engine = less grit in your oil/friction overall. If they made a HEPA filter for my car, I'd buy it. This is also why changing your oil every 3-4K is a good idea. Really dirty oil robs power.

- If you have manual, always drop out of gear when coming to a stop. If there is a hill or a freeway stretch that is downhill, do the same. Neutral in the V6 models is an astounding 39-44mpg from what I can tell.

- Double-clutch always if you can and slide gently into the next gear. While power shifting is fun and I do it occasionally, the rule is to shift it as cleanly as possible. I drive my Mustang just like I drove my 1960s Mercedes. Don't beat up the gears - wait until it is safely in gear and then put the hammer down if you absolutely have to. First gear is key here. I rev up in first gear and then actually coast or slightly slow down as I double clutch into 2nd. I don't do ANY acceleration to speak of until I'm at about 15mph in 2nd. Then I let it slowly wind up like a rubber band. First gear is the MPG grim reaper and is good for creeping up driveways.

( interesting note - all manuals are tested 0-60 for decades now by power launching then from 2nd. You can imagine how hard that is on the clutch . First gear is something you want to get out of as quickly and efficiently as possible or if you are rolling along at 10-15mph, don't drop into at all)

- You don't want to hit the brakes if at all possible. Let the car coast or roll along. From 70mph in neutral, it will take the car almost a mile to drop to 45mph on level ground. Now, on a long hill, yes, you have to brake, but the idea of trying to drive it like an automatic and maintain the same distance is wrong. You want to keep the speed as smooth and uniform as possible and if that means small gaps open up, ignore them.

- Learn to accelerate downhill and coast uphill for small variations in elevation. Often a tiny tap on the gas will get you going 5mph faster downhill. The only downside is it can be frustrating for the drivers behind you as you go between 30 and 40 mph around town instead of maintaining a steady 35.

Here is a good site to get started:
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol especially out here in Southern California dealing with traffic. It's odd my friend has a 15' GT and his mpg is similar to mine. I read the 14 does better than the 15 in mpg. My old GT is decent on gas when I don't step on it or when the tires are on point.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Interesting, I don't baby mine really at all, and I get 18.5 average in all city driving in my 2014 GT. On a long trip, going 75-80 I was getting 27 with cruise control on most of the way.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Heard about the recalls on the Eco boost mustangs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion