$90 to install exhaust tip!?!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
$90 to install exhaust tip!?!?

Hey guys, I dropped my car off today at the little auto shop across the street from my work just because it was convenient and I was anxious to finally get my quad tips welded on. They didn't give me a price on the phone and I was in a hurry when I dropped it off so I forgot to ask, so I just called and they told me that it would be $90 just to cut the tips off my current mufflers and weld the new ones on and that seems outrageous to me. I expected maybe $40. $60 the max. But does anyone have any experience with getting this done and the pricing you were given? This just seems like they are just trying to rip off the guy in the suit they assume doesn't work on his own car and they are gravely mistaken.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Seems high to me, I paid $70 to have resonators cut out and 3" pipe welded in.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Hey guys, I dropped my car off today at the little auto shop across the street from my work just because it was convenient and I was anxious to finally get my quad tips welded on. They didn't give me a price on the phone and I was in a hurry when I dropped it off so I forgot to ask, so I just called and they told me that it would be $90 just to cut the tips off my current mufflers and weld the new ones on and that seems outrageous to me. I expected maybe $40. $60 the max. But does anyone have any experience with getting this done and the pricing you were given? This just seems like they are just trying to rip off the guy in the suit they assume doesn't work on his own car and they are gravely mistaken.
I feel like it should take 30 minutes. Unless they charge 180 an hour go elsewhere
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Have you already paid?

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have not paid, I haven't gone and got it yet. But when he told me that on the phone I said, "Wow, that is significantly greater than I would have expected. I will just discuss this with you in person when I come in." Then I hung up. But yeah wtf is that ya know? So what should I do or say when I go in to get my car? I didn't have my backup key with my conservative MyKey settings for this sort of occasion so I just took a picture in the car that includes the mileage, time and their sign through the window, so if it's more than a mile difference when I get it I'm going to be upset.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post

What axle back did you use to weld the quads? I already have the tips, hopefully it fits with the flowmasters outlaws. It's always good to go and ask in different places, how much they will charge you to weld something. Usually they charge around 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If the technician doesn't do that particular type of work a lot, the job could possibly take close to an hour. Especially if they were doing it carefully with everything level and even with a good quality bead laid all around the pipe. Still, $90 is a little on the steep side in my area. How much does that shop charge for an hour of labor? Shop supply included in that?

Look at the quality of work they did and ask them to explain a little maybe
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think it's reasonable. Get yourself a reciprocating saw, welder, hoist, pay a guy to do it, $90 seams cheap now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
yugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No, $90 isn't cheap. I know how to weld, my uncle has a manufacturing company that he built from a single weld shop that he ran on his own and for 2 summers in middle school I worked for him to help out and by the time I was 14 I could weld efficiently. So I know it's not that difficult, but I understand and can consider the materials and labor time at what I believe is reasonable and I take it to small local shops to put money into my local businesses instead of the corporations; but this is why people don't do the same, they see someone they think doesn't know jack about cars and tries to gouge them out of extra money.

As for the results, I was walking across the street after work to pick it up and I see my car driving up from the opposite direction. #fury😡
I meet him in the parking lot and ask how the joyride was, he tells me he took it to another shop down the street that does their welding, I checked the mileage and 2 miles added so he was being honest. I bring up how expensive $90 is for that and he immediately asks if I've done anything to the car (feeler question to see my knowledge of my car) I start the list and he interrupts me about midway through and we go inside and he suggests we meet in the middle at $75 and I agree since he was honest with me about things. But it was clear he was trying to make the same thing the shop he took it to was ($45 each) and when I asked for an itemized receipt, he couldn't produce one, only a total charge.
I have a soft spot in my heart for small business owners so I was very friendly and told him I'd like to work with him in the future since his shop is so convenient so hopefully he can understand my position and appreciate that I understand his: he has to make money too and I want him to, he just doesn't need to try and make all of it off of me.

I just realized when I got home that they didn't return the original Kooks 4" SS tips that were on it either; so I'm going to have to call them back again because that's not like pennies on the dollar they're shorting me there.

For anyone who has the time or patience to have read that tireless rant:
Do you guys have any similar stories about your distasteful experiences with small business mechanics and how did you resolve it?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

One of the many reasons why I work on my own stuff. But I wish some of our customers were as understanding as you are. But in your situation your anger is justified. He should've told you he was taking it to another place. Better yet he should've got your permission to drive your car. Being the job preformed requires no test drive at all.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
One of the many reasons why I work on my own stuff. But I wish some of our customers were as understanding as you are. But in your situation your anger is justified. He should've told you he was taking it to another place. Better yet he should've got your permission to drive your car. Being the job preformed requires no test drive at all.

Adventure till you drop

Thank you! I'm glad someone gets it. Yeah if my uncle or I have a list then I would have just done it but unfortunately we do not. But I agree with you response 100%; as I expect most reasonable individuals would. Do you think I should call him back and ask for my exhaust tips back?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I think you can. Sometimes our customers want their exhaust tips back or other components back. All they have to do is ask, or we keep them. I don't know who you took it to, but I believe your entitled to get your tips back. If he gives them back to you is another story. Which he did take it to another place. I'd assume the tips would be there. To answer question I think you can ask him. I couldn't tell you his answer. If I was him I'd give them back to you. Since I would to be on good terms with you, and do some more business later on.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Sounds like they are charging you for 1 hour of labor. Perhaps they have a 1 hour minimum for jobs like this. It's not uncommon around here.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it took him an hr....(drive/watch/drive)

not cheap but not fu price. I'd ask for them back IF I wanted them (not just for spite)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha it's not just spite, but thanks guys, that's some good information and I appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just paid $70 to have a pair of axlebacks installed. They did a good job.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

$90 is not bad to do what you want done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
In this situation your just as much as fault as the shop for not getting a price or good estimate. Although i feel like a good shop would have provided an estimate to avoid these situations.

Level of difficulty is irrelevant as well. It's whatever the shop values there time and employees time at is what they charge. You can take your car to a dealer for an oil change and pay 80+ or a quick lube place and pay 25. There doing the same thing, it's a matter of what they value their time at.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I had dual tips put on both sides of my '98 GT. Took them about 45 minutes to do both (cut, replace, weld) and was only charged $50. So from my standpoint, you paid more than I would have.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Some cheap asses in here its $90 wow. Come on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
You could be quoted 400-600 for a header install and end up paying 1200... That is worse lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Haha yeah I was quoted $700-1200 for my header install. Then got them installed with the kooks boss h an side pipes with the kooks cat back installed for $250. I gave him an extra $100 for being so quick and efficient and cheaper than everyone else.

But I get that its shop time not difficulty but you know that didn't take more than 30 minutes of work, but if it's only in between commercials of jerry springer reruns then it takes 2 hours.

It's not a matter of me being cheap because I have no problem paying a fair price but that was without question steep. Both the shop I took it too and the shop they took it to were trying to make the same thing off of it, like a greedy middleman, Tony Montana style.

Then I call another shop and ask about bringing my car in to have them install the two side pieces of the roush 3 piece spoiler and they quote me $250..
Old 05-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
$75.00 here to weld them on, measured, and even.
If full exhaust is being put on, then it's free!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Many places have a 1 hour minimum for labor. $90/hr is standard around here at least. That's normal. Dude did not need to be driving the car down the street tho, there's this thing called a phone if he wanted to go ask if they could do it. Its not like Mustang is some kind of uncommon car or something.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I will say that adding $45 to a $45 bill for bringing it there is reasonable middleman profit. OP, i ain't slamming you as you seem to have handled it reasonably. This is one of those if ya knew before hand who to take it to deals, and since the guy adjusted his price I'm thinking he's OK too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust