Dealer Totals 2008 Shelby GT500 on Test Drive, Car Owner Cries Foul. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Dealer Totals 2008 Shelby GT500 on Test Drive, Car Owner Cries Foul.

This is why I always stay with my car.

Mastroianni’s 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang was totaled during a test drive by a Ford dealer employee. His next shock was to learn that he wouldn’t receive a replacement or full compensation for the $60,000 he felt the car was worth.

“I can go on and on about this car,” says Mastroianni, the Bristol, CT resident told the Hartford Courant. “I lost time from work. It had a huge impact on my life. How does stuff like this happen?”

Dealer Totals 2008 Shelby GT500 on Test Drive, Car Owner Cries Foul - Gear Heads

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Crap like this is one of the reasons I am perfectly content with my old GT. I would be lit up if that happened to my $60,000 car. Sadly, I have run across very few people at dealers who seem respectful enough to treat other people's cars as their own.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well yeah that is not worth $60,000 lmao. I would have laughed when he said that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Going to be a broken record and say, exactly why I do not leave my car anywhere. All it takes is for some idiot service porter who makes 10 bucks an hour to hop in your car and smash it up. Of course this guy wants 60k for his car. Someone else wrecked it, always shoot high. Any one of us would.

I love how the dealership feels like they are being attacked by this guy. Oh poor dealership. He went on every website and blasted you. Yeah, that's what those sites are for. You wrecked his car. What else is possible worse in your line of business? It was negligent. At no point should anyone at that dealership be putting themselves in a position to wreck a customers car.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They paid him $40k in a settlement... That's more than what it's worth. Classic case of someone trying to do the "but my bolt ons add xx to the car!" thing. The dealer even came right out and said the aftermarket parts need to be covered specifically to be added to the value which is correct.

I'm not trying to take the dealers side in this... I'd fly off the handle too... But $40k is more than enough to replace the car.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I hope the tech was fired.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I don't care what the dealership, red book,black book, whatever. "Thinks" it's worth!!!! In a case like this they should have replaced it with a brand new Shelby!!!!!! I would have totally freaked!!! For a lot of us it took a lot of hard work and a lot of money to get into these cars! If I even got a scratch on my gt from taking it to a dealer or what ever, I would totally freak!!!!!! To me my mustang isn't an "appliance" it's part of the family and no price tag can be put on that! Sorry!
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
I don't care what the dealership, red book,black book, whatever. "Thinks" it's worth!!!! In a case like this they should have replaced it with a brand new Shelby!!!!!! I would have totally freaked!!! For a lot of us it took a lot of hard work and a lot of money to get into these cars! If I even got a scratch on my gt from taking it to a dealer or what ever, I would totally freak!!!!!! To me my mustang isn't an "appliance" it's part of the family and no price tag can be put on that! Sorry!
40k can go a long way towards a better car than his 08
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well here in Canada 40k wouldn't get u much. Pd 54k for my 2014 GT last Sept. Shelbys run in the 80's.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

54k for a gt? That makes me sad
Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
That's what happens when someone's in a car that's too much for them.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I know! That's why I treat mine like gold! In a lot of ways u guys in the states are pretty lucky, pay a lot less for everything! Paying almost $6 a U.S. Gallon of reg. Fuel. 94% almost $7. Lol
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Great Recon.... don't understand?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Great Recon.... don't understand?
He was referring to the dealer not being able to handle the car
Old 05-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, lol
Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'd side with the owner and others that have personal attachment to their cars. They put a lot of time and pride into a car so it's more than just a car. Ok, maybe coloring the white stitching on the seats is crazy to some, but that's what that person wanted to do. Who knows what friend or family member helped with what, that's memories on wheels! Now that car is gone and he can replace a car with a faster, bigger, better whatever, but THAT car cannot be replaced. Sure he can roll into the next car show with a new GT at 40k but it's not a Shelby. It's not a car he's worked on and personalized. Any jackass can buy a new car and go to a show. Doesn't really fit until it's been modded or it's a limited production like a Shelby, Saleen, Steeda, Roush, etc...
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

**** happens. Oh well, build again or keep crying about it. Grow a pair

Old 05-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
**** happens. Oh well, build again or keep crying about it. Grow a pair

Lol, this is why I want you to keep a stang and stick around.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I can sympathize that he had blood, sweat, and tears into his car, but that's not how insurance works. Read your policy. If you dramatically improve your vehicle or house, you must contact your agent to ensure the changes will be covered. Just because you add a sweet covered deck to your house does not make it automatically covered by your homeowners insurance. If the owner feels the dealership is negligent, then he needs to bring a lawsuit against the dealer and not accept the offer.
f07mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
at the end of the day, a vehicle is only worth as much as someone would pay for it....
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
at the end of the day, a vehicle is only worth as much as someone would pay for it....
Which is what he paid for it a few thousand miles ago. Ridiculously nice 07-09s with 20-30k miles go for $30k. And those are ones with all nice bolt ons and the RXT already done.

Dude needs to stop crying, take his $40k, go on SVTP and buy the 07 White/Blue Stripe one in Staten Island for $29k with 32k miles. Thing has Dynatech headers, Dynatech mid pipe, Corsa exhaust, suspension, blower and crank pullies, VMP tune and the McCleod aluminum flywheel/RXT.

The above paragraph states why I think this guy is an idiot for crying about getting $40k for a car worth $37k. He overpaid for the thing in the first place.

Yeah it sucks that the dealer ****ed up his car, it happens. They are paying ABOVE KBB for it...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well here in Canada 40k wouldn't get u much. Pd 54k for my 2014 GT last Sept. Shelbys run in the 80's.
I paid CAD 33k + taxes for my 2014 3.7 two years ago. It was an impulse buy, didn't have much experience with mustangs/cars in general, and 2014s were just rolling out. So no 4500 delivery discount or special pricing. Year and half down the road, I traded it up and got a GT at a good price after much debated negotiation lol

I'm not surprised at 54K price tag for GT, their base price here in Canada is 42k. And it will shoot up with extra options you're going to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
54k for a gt? That makes me sad

|| Low 5oh ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's hard to feel bad for the guy since he accepted the settlement and not he is just complaining about it. If he really felt it was unfair he should have held out or gotten a lawyer. I understand having 'blood sweat and tears' in the car as I'm sure just about everyone on this site has. But at the end of the day its a car and if he really felt the value was that much above book value he should have taken additional insurance out on the ca as you have insurance not only in case you screw up but to protect you for things that are outside of your control. I mean if he would have been driving and someone rear ended him it wouldn't have been his fault and he wouldnt have gotten 60 k for the car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Those must be some really special tires and rims for $8,000. He tried to force the dealer into a much larger settlement than he was entitled to. He should have paid for all the extras in his car insurance.

Three things I would like to know. 1) What was the car in service for? Most cars are test driven after the work is done. 2) Who exactly was at fault? Did someone else run into the car?

3) Lastly, someone mentioned that the was "NEGLENT". No, just an accident.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Seems negligence would be driving in excess of the speed limit or racing the car by the employee, something not normally done on a test drive? Op needs to go to a drive thru, spill hot coffee in his lap, THEN sue for big money! Someone else trashing your stuff? Just doesn't get you much apparently. 'Merica!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Seems negligence would be driving in excess of the speed limit or racing the car by the employee, something not normally done on a test drive? Op needs to go to a drive thru, spill hot coffee in his lap, THEN sue for big money! Someone else trashing your stuff? Just doesn't get you much apparently. 'Merica!
So you're saying I need to drop hot coffee in my lap? What do I have to do with the story posted?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Before you make fun of the hot coffee situation you should watch the documentary on it. I too thought it was stupid until I saw that. That poor elderly woman got massive third degree burns. Not too mention they were serving their coffee at a level that wasn't safe according to food safety standards.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
So you're saying I need to drop hot coffee in my lap? What do I have to do with the story posted?

Just an option for ya. Unfortunately, as many others stated, insurance has to be tailored to specifics of add-ons in order to cover them. Don't think there's much more you can do
Old 06-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Before you make fun of the hot coffee situation you should watch the documentary on it. I too thought it was stupid until I saw that. That poor elderly woman got massive third degree burns. Not too mention they were serving their coffee at a level that wasn't safe according to food safety standards.
If it happened to just some dude you think it would've turned out like that? I'll bet that employee was driving in a way that wasn't safe according to...
Old 06-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
If it happened to just some dude you think it would've turned out like that? I'll bet that employee was driving in a way that wasn't safe according to...
I think if McDonald's would have listened to the 1000s of complaints and the food administration it would not have happened like that lol
Old 06-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think if McDonald's would have listened to the 1000s of complaints and the food administration it would not have happened like that lol
No doubt! It's still too dam hot imo but I'm a puss.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just an option for ya. Unfortunately, as many others stated, insurance has to be tailored to specifics of add-ons in order to cover them. Don't think there's much more you can do
This isn't may car. I was just posting the story because this is a mustang forum. Did you think this was me or I cared about this guy crying. It's just a mustang related story from the web. Some of you people I tell you.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think anyone thought it was your car. Surely everyone had enough common sense to know that. But then again lol...........

Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I don't think anyone thought it was your car. Surely everyone had enough common sense to know that. But then again lol...........

If it was he seems not that upset about it...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
This isn't may car. I was just posting the story because this is a mustang forum. Did you think this was me or I cared about this guy crying. It's just a mustang related story from the web. Some of you people I tell you.

Personally I could give a rats @$$ whose car it is, it's a mustang that's the important part

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2008 shelby gt, 2008 shelby gt500