Trading in or selling your Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Trading in or selling your Mustang

Hello

I will be ordering a new 2016 or 2017 Mustang.

Question

If trading in your current Mustang to a dealer should you return it to stock tune and reinstall stock parts? Parts like the CAI?

This should be a good discussion.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I would, and then either re-sell the mod parts to recoop some of that spent money to use on the new Mustang, or if they will work on the new Mustang, use them on it.

The dealer (if you trade it in) will not give you any more for the parts you added; they'd most likely prefer it's stock, as it will sell easier (some will think the car was driven "hard" if they see mods on it).
Old 06-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nice what engine are you going for ?

-1996 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang (BAYAREARACING)
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

In my experience with trading, you can usually get a small trade in bump if the parts you added are parts that Ford offers. As this will be towards their selling crowd. Things such as Window Tint, Side Scoops (Mustang Side Scoops - Pre-painted (10-14 All) - Free Shipping), Window Louvers (MMD Classic Mustang Quarter Window Louvers - Pre-Painted 71316 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping), and anything else that is in their purchase brochure of accessories.

When I traded my 2011 V6, it had the louvers, engine cover, strut tower brace, and a few other small items. The dealer said this bumped my trade by almost $1,000. Car bluebooked at 17k but they ended up giving me like 17.5 for it. Really surprising. And that's the ONLY reason I traded. Had they given me the normal offer of like 12-14k, I would have declined.

When I traded my 08 Mustang, I had added the tri bar pony fender badges, the pony floor mats, and a few other things, and they also gave me an additional 500 for trade value for these because they said these types of items they can market.

Now if you get like say a Magnaflow Exhaust or some random stuff, then yea, they won't help at all.

When I spoke with the dealer, they said when they look at your car with you, they expect you to try and sell it to them. Point out the nice things you have done that is "Tasteful" and tell them about the maintenance history. Dont say you tuned it or added a BBK Throttle body to it. Because this is not stuff in their market brochure.

Here is their online brochure: 2014 Ford Mustang Custom Accessories | The Official Site for Ford Accessories[COLOR="Silver"]

Lastly, it all depends on your dealer. But it doesn't hurt to mention the tasteful things (if any), that you did.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Dealerships generally don't care either way. They make sure it looks ok. No immediate mechanical repairs needed and clean car fax. Then they get a real world estimate from their wholesaler on how much it would bring at auction. Then depending on miles and condition, they may keep it on their own lot and get more for it.
Where it does matter is the next buyer. Most sceptical enthusiasts will prefer an unmolested stock Mustang to mod their own way. You'll generally get more for a mint low mile unmolested car with car fax documented service and oil changes than any add on mods.
Add on mods = was it done right? Has it been abused? Was the last owner 16?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
By your last statement "this should be a good discussion" sounds like you are trying to just start some heated debates.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I would, and then either re-sell the mod parts to recoop some of that spent money to use on the new Mustang, or if they will work on the new Mustang, use them on it.

The dealer (if you trade it in) will not give you any more for the parts you added; they'd most likely prefer it's stock, as it will sell easier (some will think the car was driven "hard" if they see mods on it).
I agree with bucko unless the mods are as Kevin says, dealer or ford items that could've come from the factory or dealer installed. Then you might get a bump. Otherwise, take off the flowmasters, cai and truck nuts. ok, that's a lil overboard but hopefully you get my point.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion