Mustang spouting black carbon and running lean - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mustang spouting black carbon and running lean

Hey guys, I have been in Europe for the past month so I was unable to look into the issues my car has been experiencing due to the heavy rain described in this thread Waterlogged car after heavy rain - solution?

What I can tell you is:

1. The car is running very lean
2. Black carbon is blowing out of the tailpipes
3. It hesitates on acceleration
4. It slightly misses out

It can be driven, but after about 5 minutes the car begins to shake. I took it to a mechanic who simply cleaned the intake ($130 later). Incidentally, this didn't help. The next day my buddy and I took the mass airflow sensor off of my brother's car and replaced mine to see if this might be the issue. No fix there either.

I was hoping you guys would have some other ideas. I'd really love to take my car out for a drive this summer!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, this has been occurring ever since my car "shorted out" during a heavy downpour. My thinking is a sensor must be off, but I'm not sure.

Ford Racing CIA, X-Pipe, GT500 Takeoffs, Bama Tuned, X-Charger and Intercooler.
Tyrannax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
take out the air box and see if there is water in the box, if so clean out, buy new air filter.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have the charger xtreme supercharger kit, so there is no air box. We were thinking it might be the fuel pressure regulator giving out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
more like water. air down the intake and surrounding areas, also clean maf... also you should still have an air filter, check it
Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

3 months and 2 mechanics later. My car will still not run more than a few minutes without stalling.

Replacing the computer tomorrow. Not sure what else to do.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannax View Post
3 months and 2 mechanics later. My car will still not run more than a few minutes without stalling.

Replacing the computer tomorrow. Not sure what else to do.

ANY CODES?
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Have you gone over your tune?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I was told the codes showed it was "running lean on both banks."

No, but I'm willing to try anything. I've re-tuned it if that's what you mean. What did you have in mind?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Well first things first what/who's tune are you running?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like it's actually running rich if you are seeing black smoke. Maybe the computer is attempting to correct by leaning everything out as much as it can?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, we think it has to be compensating because it's been running rich. I'm using bama's strategy tune they provided with my x-charger.

So, it shows lean on the codes, but is actually running rich.

I'm not sure if the mechanics modified the settings or not. I know one of them used the wrong tuner at one time despite my warning not to use the one in the trunk (it was sitting on my seat when I got the car back), but since then the real tune has been added on.

Apparently the cylinders are washing out and losing compression. That's one mechanic's theory. Also, the oil is black despite being changed recently. You can smell gas and there's still black carbon being emitted through the exhaust. We heard a light tapping from the engine now and then as well. We've changed the MAF, O2 sensors, etc to no avail.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yes, we think it has to be compensating because it's been running rich. I'm using bama's strategy tune they provided with my x-charger.

I'm not sure if the mechanics modified the settings or not. I know one of them used the wrong tuner at one time despite my warning not to use the one in the trunk (it was sitting on my seat when I got the car back), but since then the real tune has been added on.

Apparently the cylinders are washing out and losing compression. That's one mechanic's theory. Also, the oil is black despite being changed recently. You can smell gas and there's still black carbon being emitted through the exhaust. We heard a light tapping from the engine now and then as well. We've changed the MAF, O2 sensors, etc to no avail.
Getting a new tune has never popped up in conversation with them?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No, but if you think that's worth a shot I'll contact Bama and get a new tune before we pull the computer.

Thanks for the help by the way. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Maybe run some datalogs and whatnot.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. I'm going to ask Bama for a new tune. I'll try that and see if the car starts acting right.

I'll update once I know something.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

1- You drove through how much water? How do you think your O2 sensors liked that at highway speed?

2- You can smell gas coming from the exhaust, or was that in the oil? I did not understand that comment about gas smell.

3- Have you actually done a compression and leakdown test?

4- Did the oil get changed before or after the car got this bath?

5- Data-Log it, honestly. Its a good idea to be doing that anyways considering it is boosted.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
[QUOTE=Panther140;2295946]1- You drove through how much water? How do you think your O2 sensors liked that at highway speed?

2- You can smell gas coming from the exhaust, or was that in the oil? I did not understand that comment about gas smell.

3- Have you actually done a compression and leakdown test

IF YOU SMELL GAS IN OIL YOU BETTER CHANGE IT BEFORE RUNNING ANYMORE, YOU WILL BLOW THE RODS OUT THE SIDE OF BLOCK,GAS DOESN,T LUBE VERY GOOD
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Cylinder wash isn't that bad for your engine.

Diluting your oil with gasoline is pretty bad though. Gasoline is a solvent for oil, because it is a lighter molecule of the same thing
Old 09-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

1.O2 sensors have been changed. This was just a severely heavy downpour, but it was enough to cause electrical problems.
2.Smell is coming from exhaust.
3.It has had a compression test. #4 cylinder has low compression after it's been running a while. I'm hoping the cylinders are just washed out (dumping fuel in) due to the car running too rich. I'm not sure when the test was taken- after it been running or when it just started. The car starts up great. After 20-30 minutes, the car starts to run pretty rough. This is what I was told. I am choosing not to test drive it in this condition.
4. Oil was changed after these issues started (and subsequently after we saw the oil), but the mechanics test drove it several times before this.
5.I'm not sure what that is. The tuner will do this I take it?

I'll be receiving a new tune within a few days. I'm not sure why the tune would have been erased, but it's worth a shot.

After I get the tune, I plan to add engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug openings before starting it up.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help guys.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1.O2 sensors have been changed. This was just a severely heavy downpour, but it was enough to cause electrical problems.
2.Smell is coming from exhaust.
3.It has had a compression test. #4 cylinder has low compression after it's been running a while. I'm hoping the cylinders are just washed out (dumping fuel in) due to the car running too rich. I'm not sure when the test was taken- after it been running or when it just started. The car starts up great. After 20-30 minutes, the car starts to run pretty rough. This is what I was told. I am choosing not to test drive it in this condition.
4. Oil was changed after these issues started (and subsequently after we saw the oil), but the mechanics test drove it several times before this.
5.I'm not sure what that is. The tuner will do this I take it?

I'll be receiving a new tune within a few days. I'm not sure why the tune would have been erased, but it's worth a shot.

After I get the tune, I plan to add engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug openings before starting it up.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help guys.
1- I think your ECU is not getting the right readings from the O2 sensor. Sensor could be good, but wires shorted somewhere.

2- That's probably just from being rich, then. Are you catless as well?

3- low compression on 1 cylinder shouldn't cause this big of an issue, but its still good to know

4- Glad the oil got changed!!

5- Data log is when everything the computer should know is recorded. It will tell the timing, RPM, cam phasing, O2 sensor readings, throttle position, airflow readings, and manifold pressure. When you have all of that data, its really easy to figure out what the problem is.

The reason your car starts up great is because it will run on a pre-determined fuel and ignition map when it is cold. When the coolant and O2 sensors warm up, the car then enters closed-loop operation.

In closed loop, the car will adjust timing and fuel trim based on the readings it is getting from the various sensors. Your o2 sensor has to warm up before it will work in any capacity. The car does not rely on that reading until the sensor warms up. Then it starts adjusting things. How long that takes will vary depending on operating conditions like ambient temp and how much the engine is working.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Put the stock tune back in and go from there? At least that would hopefully stop any further damage from what sounds like too much raw fuel being dumped in there.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion