Cold air intake or exhaust system? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Cold air intake or exhaust system?

have a 13 v6 performance pack. I am either wanting a decent cold air intake or a decent exhaust. But nothing too loud and tuner sounding. Im not wanting to spend a huge chunk of change. I was looking at the ford racing sport axelbacks but they are 680 bucks. Any ideas on which I should get? A CAI or axelback. Just want my car to sound a little different and I know a CAI will give it a deeper sound.
racemamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Exhaust.

Release the Kraken!!!
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by racemamxx View Post
have a 13 v6 performance pack. I am either wanting a decent cold air intake or a decent exhaust. But nothing too loud and tuner sounding. Im not wanting to spend a huge chunk of change. I was looking at the ford racing sport axelbacks but they are 680 bucks. Any ideas on which I should get? A CAI or axelback. Just want my car to sound a little different and I know a CAI will give it a deeper sound.

In the end you are going to want the exhaust, so get it first. The most I would do intake-wise is get the AFE Pro Dry S filter and possibly add the Airaid modular intake tube if you want to easily remove the resonator box on the side of the stock tube. Our factory filter box is a better "Cold Air" system than any of the aftermarket that seal to the hood from a purely "keeping hot air out of the intake" perspective. No tune required either, as some of the aftermarket systems require.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
When I installed an intake on my 3.7, it changed the sound of the exhaust very slightly, and gave a minimal increase in power. Exhaust was a nice upgrade for sound, but no real power increase if you're just going to change axle backs. Either one is a great start though! Once you start, you won't stop. So you'll probably end up getting both... and more..

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
When I installed an intake on my 3.7, it changed the sound of the exhaust very slightly, and gave a minimal increase in power. Exhaust was a nice upgrade for sound, but no real power increase if you're just going to change axle backs. Either one is a great start though! Once you start, you won't stop. So you'll probably end up getting both... and more..
What would be the best exhaust for Me? Nothing too pricey but doesn't sound like a ricer and isn't too loud?
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would be the best exhaust for Me? Nothing too pricey but doesn't sound like a ricer and isn't too loud?
I think you might like the MAC axleback:
MAC Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust TK2612 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

They are actually on sale on AM right now for $375 which is a great price. They're pretty mellow and deeper than most of the cheaper mufflers out there. Check out some exhaust clips on youtube. I think you'll like the sound.

You're not going to be able to get a very deep aggressive sound out of the 3.7 with just axlebacks until you start playing with the headers/midpipe.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I think you might like the MAC axleback:
MAC Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust TK2612 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

They are actually on sale on AM right now for $375 which is a great price. They're pretty mellow and deeper than most of the cheaper mufflers out there. Check out some exhaust clips on youtube. I think you'll like the sound.

You're not going to be able to get a very deep aggressive sound out of the 3.7 with just axlebacks until you start playing with the headers/midpipe.
I like that a lot. Doesn't sound like a ricer at all and has a growl to it. Now would it be obnoxiously loud? And how would the cabin sound be?
Old 06-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like that a lot. Doesn't sound like a ricer at all and has a growl to it. Now would it be obnoxiously loud? And how would the cabin sound be?
The MBRP axlebacks also sound pretty good. Not sure how the cabin sound would be. I have stypes on mine, and they do not interrupt conversations over the sync or anything. Unless the windows were down

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cold air intake, exhaust