Dealership issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Dealership issues

Does this sound correct? Has this happened to any of you?

After letting my dealership search for a car for me for 4 days, and telling me there where no Ecoboosts available in my area, I decided to look myself. I had already done a search at the ford site and provided them a list of Vins in the area, that I would be interested in. I've been dealing with this dealership for years and it has usually gone well. They told me they where all sold. I looked myself, and the second one on my list was still available at a different local dealership. I told the salesman at the first dealership and low and behold it was suddenly being transferred to my dealership of choice for me to look at / test drive. They knew I had every intention of buying. They apologized and said the other dealership which had the car must have lied or didn't want to give it up. Whatever.

So..car was picked up and delivered to my preferred dealership today. Salesman called me, told me to come check it out. We tentatively planned delivery for tomorrow. On the way to the dealership, he calls me and says I can buy the car, we can do the paperwork, but he can not let me drive it, not to test nor take delivery. Said there was a new recall and they would be fined by Ford if they let me leave. He said that it would be a week before they even knew IF the car was needing the recall. I did some research and there is currently NO fix available. It is 'Remedy not yet available' so...it could actually be weeks to months before there is a fix. What the heck? The recall is dated 5/26 and this all happened this week.

I can't believe they would expect me to buy now, un-driven, and wait to take possession??

Anyways...have you heard of such a thing? Do recalls stop sales?? This is the heat / underbody fuel tank/line recall that's been around a while.

Sorry for the length / mini rant. I walked while the sales guy was still talking. Sad thing is, I had to revert all my mods, tune, and stereo install on my trade, only to have to reinstall it all.
2014 Base V6 MT - Deep Impact Blue
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
IzzyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well you went to a dealership...

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah..Bought 7 cars from them and went to school with the brothers that own it. So much for that.
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

So...
You know the owners of the dealership. What did they have to say about the situation?

Adventure till you drop.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No reply yet. I haven't called them, but emailed them both. According to the salesman it doesn't matter. They can't let me take the car.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Yes they can put a stop to the sales of vehicles when an issue is identified. The 2015 vettes had an airbag issue and they were all sitting in storage lots and dealership show rooms for quite a while before they could be released.

Also, the dealerships are stingy when the car is desirable. So before a dealership can procure a car from another dealership (and it has to be one they deal with, not all dealerships trade amongst each other) they have to speak with all sales personnel and insure no one is working a deal on that car.

My car was a few states away, my dealership had to wait an entire day before that dealership would authorize them to sell me the car and have it transferred. And this was late October 14 when the s197's were old news.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Alright, let me see if I'm getting this right...
You want a new car. They say there's none in your area. You check and there is. You go back and the car is on its way. They have paper work ready for the purchase. You get a call from them saying you can't buy it. There's apparently some recall, but they don't tell you what or why...
Um, yea I'd get the owners in on this. This sounds stupid...

Adventure till you drop.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah..Pretty much. It wasn't just on its way. They actually had transfered it. I continued there after the call and looked at it, started it etc. He just wouldn't put dealer plates on it supposedly because of the recall. I asked the sales guy why it would be until next week before they even knew more, and he said 'I don't know, but you can ask the service department". That's when I became loud. Me ask?? I don't own the car YOU should ask. He didn't know what to say, and I walked away.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Must be a hush hush ford secret recall. But definitely get the owners in on it. They will most likely be able to give you at least some explanation, why this happening...

Adventure till you drop.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

They had already transferred it. I sat in it while he explained the NEW recall to me. Total BS, been out since 5/26. We should never have gotten this far without them checking for recalls. Whatever. I'm done with them. I took time off from work, spent hours returning my car to stock (which they knew I was doing).
Old 06-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

For anyone wanting to know, here is some detail from NHTSA (I didin't copy the content since the cut/paste is screwy)
Manufacturer Recall Number: 15S19 - NO NHTSA number yet and
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Dealership issues

Honestly, if you know them personally; I'd give them a chance to explain themselves. Now depending on their answer, decides if I'd walk away. Now if it's a legitimate reason, I think I'd let them fix it and then try to work out something. If not then see if they can locate another one. Or find another dealer...
They might have that airbag recall. Probably not likely but still a possibility...

Adventure till you drop.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Either way your not going to be able to buy one any faster. If the recall and stop sale is legit. I'm sure the salesman and dealership was hoping to get around it or sell the car to you before the fix. They didn't call you and tell you dont put your car back to stock because they didn't want to scare you off. I mean I would be mad also, don't get me wrong. But I get why they did you like that.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
So you can't go to any lot and buy any ecoboost mustangs?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I am gathering. There are no others around here for hundreds of miles anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Wow. That's jacked up. So what if you had just driven to the dealership that had the car originally to look at it? Would they have let you test drive the car there?

This is why I don't like buying 1st run models. I always try to let them work the kinks out. Lol
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Wow. That's jacked up. So what if you had just driven to the dealership that had the car originally to look at it? Would they have let you test drive the car there?

This is why I don't like buying 1st run models. I always try to let them work the kinks out. Lol
I've no idea what would have happened. That dealership is 50 miles from the one I had preferred to deal with. When I said local, I was being relative. I live in a rural area. According to the salesman here, I wouldn't be able to buy from anywhere else either. Surprised it's not all over the news or web or something.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, that's for real. This is honestly the first time I've heard it on ME. You just dropped breaking news (to me) lol. Why would they even go through the transfer and all that? That's not smart business on their part. Unless they planned to sell it without somebody driving it and then I'd call them a crook.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMan View Post
Does this sound correct? Has this happened to any of you?

After letting my dealership search for a car for me for 4 days, and telling me there where no Ecoboosts available in my area, I decided to look myself. I had already done a search at the ford site and provided them a list of Vins in the area, that I would be interested in. I've been dealing with this dealership for years and it has usually gone well. They told me they where all sold. I looked myself, and the second one on my list was still available at a different local dealership. I told the salesman at the first dealership and low and behold it was suddenly being transferred to my dealership of choice for me to look at / test drive. They knew I had every intention of buying. They apologized and said the other dealership which had the car must have lied or didn't want to give it up. Whatever.

So..car was picked up and delivered to my preferred dealership today. Salesman called me, told me to come check it out. We tentatively planned delivery for tomorrow. On the way to the dealership, he calls me and says I can buy the car, we can do the paperwork, but he can not let me drive it, not to test nor take delivery. Said there was a new recall and they would be fined by Ford if they let me leave. He said that it would be a week before they even knew IF the car was needing the recall. I did some research and there is currently NO fix available. It is 'Remedy not yet available' so...it could actually be weeks to months before there is a fix. What the heck? The recall is dated 5/26 and this all happened this week.

I can't believe they would expect me to buy now, un-driven, and wait to take possession??

Anyways...have you heard of such a thing? Do recalls stop sales?? This is the heat / underbody fuel tank/line recall that's been around a while.

Sorry for the length / mini rant. I walked while the sales guy was still talking. Sad thing is, I had to revert all my mods, tune, and stereo install on my trade, only to have to reinstall it all.
First, if a dealer has a car, it is supposed to be able to call another dealership to either get the vehicle outright or swap another vehicle for it. The dealership that has the car doesn't have to release it.

Second, have you looked or can you look at the original paperwork from the dealership that originally had the car? That will give you an idea of when the car left the factory and when it got to the first dealership.

Third, did the dealer that has the car now, do a search on the VIN numbers or just a search for cars that had your options? If the salesman didn't put in all the options you wanted, it might not have been listed on his search.

Someone already mention it, GM had a recall on the 2015 Corvettes (problems with airbags and parking brake cables on a total of nearly 2,800 cars. he factory halted production and those in stock could not be sold. Although a few were sold before the recall. Dodge stops taking Challenger and Charger Hellcat orders due to 'unprecedented' demand for Dodge Chargers. It seems they couldn't make enough for the sales demand.

Why didn't you hold off on reinstalling your old parts to find out how long it would be until you can buy the other Mustang?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
First, if a dealer has a car, it is supposed to be able to call another dealership to either get the vehicle outright or swap another vehicle for it. The dealership that has the car doesn't have to release it.
So Someone lied

Quote:
Second, have you looked or can you look at the original paperwork from the dealership that originally had the car? That will give you an idea of when the car left the factory and when it got to the first dealership.
No. I had no reason to but I did look it up on Fords FordEtis home page site and it was built in 2014 and delivered to that dealership also in 2014 - I did see the invoice from the preferred dealer before they even requested it. I sat and went over the VINS with the salesman and he looked them all up, and printed the invoices before I left. He then took them to whoever handles the dealer swaps.

Quote:
Third, did the dealer that has the car now, do a search on the VIN numbers or just a search for cars that had your options? If the salesman didn't put in all the options you wanted, it might not have been listed on his search.
I did the search and provided him a list of VIN's in order of what I preferred before we started any of this. He said his people called them all, and they where all sold. All the VIN's I provided where within 100 or so miles of here. I called the other dealership myself, and it was still available. When I told my preferred dealer it was still available, after about an hour, they had worked out a deal.

Quote:
Someone already mention it, GM had a recall on the 2015 Corvettes (problems with airbags and parking brake cables on a total of nearly 2,800 cars. he factory halted production and those in stock could not be sold. Although a few were sold before the recall. Dodge stops taking Challenger and Charger Hellcat orders due to 'unprecedented' demand for Dodge Chargers. It seems they couldn't make enough for the sales demand.
OK..but the recall mentioned, and the one coming up for this VIN at NHTSA came out in May. Why wait till one day before delivery to tell me?

Quote:
Why didn't you hold off on reinstalling your old parts to find out how long it would be until you can buy the other Mustang?
We had already set a delivery date of tomorrow. There where no details to wait for. Just paperwork. I asked several times if this was a sure thing because of the effort required to return the car to stock before trading it in. I was assured that I could take delivery even today if I wanted. I told him it would take me till tomorrow to get my car ready. He said that when he submitted the paperwork through the service department, they stopped it.

I should have just visited the other dealership, but these people that I have dealt with in the past, are about one mile from my home, are a family owned business, and always used to treat me well.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Dealership issues

This is going to be off topic but the dodge statement is really stupid. This isn't aimed at you, but dodge. They make a 707hp car and they don't except a lot people to want it? Sounds really foolish to me...
They stopped production because the demand is too high last time I checked that's a good thing. Compared to the viper sales which completely suck. Dodge is really never prepared for anything...
Sorry for that, now back on track. What's the game plan here?

Adventure till you drop.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Either way your not going to be able to buy one any faster. If the recall and stop sale is legit. I'm sure the salesman and dealership was hoping to get around it or sell the car to you before the fix. They didn't call you and tell you dont put your car back to stock because they didn't want to scare you off. I mean I would be mad also, don't get me wrong. But I get why they did you like that.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
This. ^

Having worked for a dealer, if the manufacturer says that you can't sell a car due to a recall that could be potentially life threatening, then you can't sell it. Honda had a recall for tires because their tire machines were cutting the lip, we couldn't sell one until the recall had been performed. This goes above the owner of the dealers head and there's nothing they can really do to get you the car before the recall has been performed.

You have a right to be upset, just remember that the sales people aren't any happier because they are losing out on the sale of a hot car due to poor manufacturing on Fords end.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Actually - I (NOT THEY) found another one identical..that was manufactured recently. Not under the recall. As I posted in the ecoboost section, I have seen Fords notice to the dealers, and it was dated over three weeks ago. Had they just checked the VIN before setting out to swap with another dealer for it, and told me, then I would already be driving this new one that is not under the recall. They failed to check in oasis before swapping. I should have the new one Tuesday.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
If a dealer (and Ford) told me for safety reasons they could not sell me a car I would say "Thank You" instead of complaining that they wouldn't sell me something that might catch on fire. Yes, I understand it's what you want and you may be without a car but trust me the dealership would like to sell the car they are prohibited by law from selling them.

Now is the time to see if to make up for it you can get a great deal on the V8
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I guess many people just don't get it. I dont have a problem with the recall or that they won't sell it to me. My problem is that they knew this for three weeks, and still tried to get me to sign and buy, telling me was one day before delivery. The dealership knew I had days worth of work to return my car to stock prior to delivery. They should have run the VIN in Oasis prior to obtaining the car or committing to things.

The owners have worked out a great deal on an identical car, and apologized up and down admitting it was an oversite to not have checked that VIN before arranging the swap etc.

I'm aware of the recall details and the litigious society we live in. The people who already own an entire years worth of production are driving in time bombs if you listen to the alarmists. Fact is, there has not been one single incident due to the excessive heat build up. Ford is afraid of being sued and they couldn't care less about me or my car other than a PM / Public Image.

Yup. $. 02 is what it is

Not interested in a V8 for a over 100 mile daily commute and 6k more.

I won't debate the V8/V6/I4 thing. I get it. I was born in the 60's. The non V6 Mustangs outsell the V8 by a long shot (excluding fleet sales) and the ecoboost is the best seller ever.
Must be a reason.

To each his own. ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
No love for the V6 model? Unless you are going for one that is optioned out anyway. V6 has very limited options although I'd probably still get a 6 over the eco if it was me.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No love for the V6 model? Unless you are going for one that is optioned out anyway. V6 has very limited options although I'd probably still get a 6 over the eco if it was me.
I'm currently driving a Bama Tuned 2014 V6. Love it for the most part. It was a base and is rather cheap on the interior.

I was looking at the options, and although I didn't get the cream of the crop, I am getting more than I could get with the new V6. Ford has put the V6 in the option-less (not really) lowest cost bracket.

Tuning the ecoboost and what they have already done, at peak torque RPM much lower than the V6..is amazing. They are just getting started. that, and the new design, and rear suspension is what sold me. Also needed an Auto. I sit in bumper to bumper traffic for hours some days, and I am over the MT. I'm 47 and although I like to have fun, I'm a bit more practical.

Hopefully it will all be good come tomorrow

I'll have some aftermarket parts to sell
Old 06-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yeah definitely pulling for you to get what you want. I dunno the car you have right now is pretty sweet but if you want the new interior and suspension and the I4 and sit in the traffic... Yeah go for it. I would not get any trans BUT the auto with the Ecoboost btw. Autos and turbos are made for each other.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion